Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

great place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MADecember 7, 2018
I learned so much there working as lab tech on chemistry. the environment was wonderful and they love to have luncheons from all kinds of places. great people to work with
Training was awful and inadequate.
HR Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MADecember 3, 2018
They do not train you long enough to actually know what you are doing. You are literally expected to learn everything and anything you need to know in 4 days max. It is not a great learning environment. The training is not sufficient or adequate enough to get you to understand how the company works.

Co-workers and managers are fake. Co-workers gossip and managers will tell you one thing about your job performance one day but then renage on it two days later if they are not satisfied.
Pros
Nice cafeteria
Cons
Awful short training
Productive place
Head waste operator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 28, 2018
Good place to work. Hours are long and have to work weekends a lot. Benefits are pricey and cover some no raises or bonuses. Most the people are easy to get a long with.
Productive and challenging
In-Site Chemist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 27, 2018
Great work experience. Learned a lot about the environment services. Exciting work with wonderful people in a very varied work environment. Acquired lots of knowledge of DOT, OSHA, HAZMAT, chemical interactions and hazardous waste disposal procedure.
Pros
Enriched knowledge acquired about environmental procedure
Cons
Lots of traveling
Toxic, Unhealthy Environment with Disrespectful Management
Field Services Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Henderson, CONovember 26, 2018
Clean Harbors has potential to carry out productive, organized environmental assistance throughout the globe, however the company festers with bad management. VP's protect BM's when they mistreat employees. The company would rather put up with bad work ethic from an employee than fire them because they do not want to pay unemployment. Instead of writing up or firing someone, they opt to allow the employees disrupt the work environment while going behind their back to do things that make that employee want to quit. The Peter Principle runs rampant in this company and it creates a lot of toxicity and unhappiness.
Pros
Ability To Be A Self Starter
Cons
Peter Principle, Toxic Environment, Disrespectful Management, No Rules Enforced
Great job
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 19, 2018
Just time to move on love the people but crazy scheduling. You have to ready to work at the drop of a hat. Take away from a lot of your family time. Sometimes forced to go out of town when it doesn’t work with situation
Good For anyone who need work and does want to think
Environmental Waste Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2018
Management is worst of the worst. Cannot work together and only worry about themselves and profits. my advice get in and leave on your terms and short term goals. Work is not hard. do not need a degree( although I had one). do not settle in term of salary/wages you want.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
everything
The job is awesome
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 14, 2018
I love clean harbor . They paid good and teach you all the training you need . We work mostly 50-84 hour a week . Overtime is descent. Lot of blasting and other amazing cool things to work as
Pros
Good paid
overall a good company
Equipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 14, 2018
Cleanharbors is a good company to work for, the biggest problem with the company is that they are too large and tend to get in there own way because of policys within the company
Pros
liberal ammounts of pto
Cons
health insurance is expensive and not very competitive
Small company management running large company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MANovember 9, 2018
Some great people work at Clean Harbors but management still runs the company as if they a small company. Employees are constantly laid off and work in fear of the fact that they may be next. constantly doing more with less. Company makes acquisitions, but goes years without employee raises.
Pros
Great co workers, company does great work for our clients
Cons
Terrible management
I had an ok time as a retail waste driver. Coworkers were pretty good.
Technical retail technician/drove a class b truck (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, NJNovember 3, 2018
This is a VERY shady company. There over 2 yrs. No raise. Drove a class b hazmat truck.made the same $15/hr as new employees. Benefits were horrible, with a large cap that you have to pay for them to kick in. They want new people with zero experience to brainwash into their way of thinking.
Pros
Time and a half after 40 hrs, which I had after 2hrs on Thursday.
Cons
An hour and 15 minute drive each way.
Workin as a field tech was need to me but challenging
Field Technician and Emergency Response Team (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 2, 2018
Workin at this company was a great experience for me to learn how to do environmental cleanups. We were on call 24 hrs so, I had to be ready at anytime it was a call. Discipline and safety were the most important things on the job.
It was a interesting job
Supervisor and equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CANovember 1, 2018
Fast paced from beginning till the end of each day. Usually very physical and demanding. Traveled to many places to do many jobs. Hardest part of the job was not being home very much do to a lot of traveling.
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Never really being home. Being on call 24/7/365
Na
CDL B Driver (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIOctober 29, 2018
I was hired to be a truck driver. I have had my CDL for over 20 yrs, Management never had me drive, just labor. SO I was forced to quit. I'm a team player however I felt my Supervisor was extremely unfair, was in the short time employed for CH several other employees I worded with either quit or was actively looking for other employment.
Pros
lots of Hrs
Cons
management
Kiss your personal life goodbye
Field Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 18, 2018
The Field Services group within Clean Harbors is a complete joke. Management does not care about the employees whatsoever. Plan to never be home. Also, plan to be on cal 24-7 and only get paid while you are responding. There is absolutely no compensation for the time you are on call and not working. On top of this you are expected to drop everything in your personal life and be at your shop within 30 minutes of your "call." I would say that it's an okay place to work if: you are single, don't have kids, and are in no way interested in having a life outside of work. THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION. I am only speaking for the field services group. Remember, once you have accepted an offer letter.... You can officially kiss your personal life goodbye.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No Personal Life
Working at Clean Harbors Environmental Services
Technical Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 17, 2018
This was a good company to work for. Work was hectic at times. Learned several new computer applications and job-related activities. Management was good and very helpful with an open-door policy, where you can go and get matters taken care of. The hardest part of the job was learning all the chemicals and their uses. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers/vendors and working in concert with the technical staff.
Get your experience and then get out!
Field Chemist (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 11, 2018
Way too many bosses who know absolutely nothing about logistics, D.O.T. rules and regs. Severely micro-managed. The vehicles are extremely old and will break down on you. You will never be promoted. You could be out all week and may have to be in the office on Saturday morning for a meeting. They care nothing for your personal time. They're mentality is that you either sink or swim. I was told that by the manager of the Dallas branch. They will train you for maybe two weeks and expect you to know waste codes and packaging. After that you are on your own to deal with dangerous chemicals and the embarrassment of limited knowledge to customers who deserve to be serviced properly and appropriately. You have been warned!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management, pay, old filthy vehicles that "will" break down on you.
good company to work for
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2018
Nice work environment.Everyone new there place in the food chain. They are a big company with 15,000 employees sometimes Management didn't know some Employees names.
Great company
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 29, 2018
Great staff and company I enjoyed working on a contract with them recommend them to anyone excellent (PPE) THIS COMPANY PRIDES their self on Safety an properly Conversation their employees
Na
Property Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MASeptember 26, 2018
Opinions about clean Harbors are my own and will not be shared. Good Company to work for - Company went thru major move and acquisition during the time I worked there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight