Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

I’m rating only the Remediation division.
Field Project Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 17, 2019
The Remediation Division has horrible management that has no leadership skills, people skills, true work ethic, or do care anything about the employees. Your on the road From job to job across the country away from your family several weeks at a time. A project comes that’s close to where you live, logically you should be on that project, not in this division. Somebody from the other side of the country is there while you work next door to their home. You could be out as long as 10 weeks, does anyone say we appreciate that, no. The only thing yo get from this division is yelled at. You get yelled because the mounds of paperwork they require isn’t finished and sent because you’ve been in the field directing the project. Then you get yelled at because you’ve been in the mobile office, if you’re lucky enough to get one, too long getting the mounds of paperwork done and sent instead of out directing the project. Also you’re going to yelled at for your project not making money even though before you were assigned the project the VP cuts the bid by a quarter of a million dollars when everyone knows that the client awarded the project based on the 5% discount on that was being given if we were awarded both the disposal and remediation. That takes another $100,000 from an already too low bid. The division makes up its own rules that the rest of the company do not go by and some of them are rules that go against company policy. The management for this division is incompetent at best, with the exception of the West GM and proposal GM. The division management expects you to stay out on  more... the road away from your family the majority of the year, every year, but they will pay you lower than others across the company in the same position. You can absolutely forget about seeing a raise, the management loses the division too much money for that to happen.  less
Pros
The company outside of the Remediation Division seems ok, the CEO seems to truly care for the employees, benefits are good for the times we live in
Cons
Remediation management, salary, raise potential, management that takes no responsibility for their actions, Remediation management treats employees like garbage
Trainer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLJune 10, 2019
Great place to work. Unfortunately corporate lay offs effected several plants. Great stock, 401-K and Health Care option. They were very good to employees and provided great training.
disappointment
Commercial Truck Driver - 22-Wheel Tanker (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAJune 9, 2019
One too many lies. On my interview was told what my pay was and it was held back three weeks and to get the job had to settle for less money. One of the trucks that was assigned to me I said to my supervisor that there is a transmission problem. He said to me don't worry about it. And when the truck went down with a transmission issue I got a time telling me how much it will cost
Pros
not many
Cons
pay
I loved my job, the customers and the people I worked with
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 6, 2019
Clean Harbors is unique place to work it's anything but easy but the things you do each day make our environment just that much better from an environmental perspective. That to me is very fulfilling and something to be proud of. I can also tell you that having a high profile company like Clean Harbors on your resume in good standing will definitely keep you in the sought after file instead of the round file when searching for a job. In closing I just want to say Clean Harbors has a lot to offer and endless possibilities. In fact I really hope to work there again someday. I worked there from 2013 to 2017
Pros
Very strong company with a strong reputation and future
Cons
None except for the fact I don't work there anymore
not a good place to work
ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJune 4, 2019
unions unions and more unions...and if you're not in one then you are screwed. you will receive zero overtime, zero salary increases, and are essentially the outcast of the company. that about sums it up.
Excellent Career Opportunities
Talent Acquisition Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAJune 4, 2019
Excellent opportunities for long term career opportunities. The days can be long when you first start but there is a lot to learn. Health and Safety of our employees is the number on priority and practiced at every level of the organization
Pros
Plenty of hours for field personnel
Stand Still
Clean Pack Chemist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 3, 2019
While Clean Harbors does give you hourly based pay and plenty of hours (average 50 hours a week), management does not care about you. New systems are implemented every week and you are expected to comply with zero training. If you need a job, you can make money at Clean Harbors. If you want a career, look somewhere else.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
No Respect
Review
BDM-Sales (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 3, 2019
annual cost of living raises and better match on 401k are needed.
Compensation plan is in need of change. Quarterly payouts take > 60 days after the close of the quarter
Pros
Health Care is good
Cons
frequent re-organizations
This is my dream job
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Benicia, CAJune 2, 2019
Wow 15 years has flown by! I have gotten married raised 2 boys lived east coast gulf coast and now west coast. I have worked in every state in the US I have been called Tech,labor,operator,Driver, supervisor, container coordinator,specialist,Project Manager and Branch Manager. I survived cancer, I have made life long frends some closer than family. I have Learned so much about myself along the way. Clean Harbors has thought me that talented well trained people make a great company. Respect and collaboration make a great team and hard work and commitment equals success .
Pros
This is a place where you have so much opportunity for growth
Cons
I have no complaints
Great Place to Work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 1, 2019
This company has promoted me through the ranks. I preach to everyone that hard work and dedication pays off. When you can prove yourself to be a competent and driven individual, willing to put in the time, you are rewarded. Many want reward for mediocre performance and that is not how it works. The work life balance is my main concern as well as the pay scale in my particular area. I do not feel like it lines up with the cost of owning a home in this area at least for salaried positions.
Pros
Internal resources and knowledge
Cons
Work/life balance
Horrible Place To Work
XOXOXO (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXMay 30, 2019
It's not the picture that they paint they are nothing but bullies and among everything else. They help each other out from their mistakes but run and criticize, demeanor other human beings. The entire facility needs some improvement. HR is just as worse they feel that everyone needs to see therapist. I use to like the job
THIS PLACE SHOULD NOT ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE BULLIED OR TOLERATE BULLIES.
Pros
Get rid of the bullies
Cons
Make the job better
Hot! Promises that are never taken care of.
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 28, 2019
Clean harbors promises you this and that. Never follows through with anything. They expect you to do safety training on your own time with no reward for doing so. They put me in the position to do supervision but still no talk about raise or even if I’m in training. Managers push off everything you tell them and ignore you like you don’t exist. Equipment is mainly old and rigged together and they bill there customers for equipment they don’t even use. If you’re looking for a career stay far away from here. Top supervisor pay right now is 22$ per hour. People here been here 30 years still making 21$ per hour. That’s how they treat there employees here. Then ask for a raise and they laugh and say I can’t even get myself a raise?!?!?! That’s Clean Harbors Management for you
Pros
Cons
0 communication bad management terrible pay
hard to work in this envoirnment
ASSET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAMay 23, 2019
the work is not the issue it is the people that you have to work for. Top down the idea is to work hard and not be given a chance to move up in that area you have to move around in the company.
Pros
cafateria at corprate office
Cons
overload on work in all departements
Great job
Class A Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJMay 20, 2019
I worked there for about 6 Months I had looked up to this job for many years before I got hired took me a while just to get the experience needed. For a truck driver benefits and pay where excellent, had a good balance in work and free time. I highly recommend this job especially for truck drivers.$$$
Pros
Per diem
Cons
Chemicals
And great industry to be in
DRIVER at safety- kleen (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 17, 2019
And great industry to be in unfortunately the pay does not match the workload.
Manager can bee more positive and up building.
Hours can be long.
Not all branches are this way.
Pros
Brand new equipment company’s been around long time
Cons
Insurance is poor pay could be better
it is what you make it
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 16, 2019
stay positive and contribute daily with a positive attitude focused on being your personal best in order to be prepared.
Cycling market needs are difficult to project when proposing market growth.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
seasonal high and low work loads are diff to project
Very unorganized
Field Chemist (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXMay 16, 2019
Management doesn’t abide by the rules and everyone gets away with anything you want .......Very severe Favoritism toward certain employees .........
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Indecisive scheduling
The management team at the plant level was terrible
Facility Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Kimball, NEMay 13, 2019
the middle management at the plant was abrasive and abusive to staff and upper management did not intercede at all allowing them to abuse those who worked for them.
Not as advertised
Class A HydroVac Operator (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 13, 2019
Job was not really Local 150. They put you on an M card, which only works at that company. Clean Harbors has a third party company that decided they randomly wanted to mandate that I take a sleep apnea test and pay out of pocket for it, even though I passed a DOT physical and was cleared for 2 years. The company was harassing me. Due to this I am employed because they can't fire me since it is a medical issue (on their end) and the union will not do anything for me. It is now Mid May and I have been out of work since February or March.
Pros
Free Insurance
Clean Harbors is not a good company.
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 13, 2019
Not a good culture to be a part of at all. Management is insane and somehow gets away with cussing people out all the time. The more experienced you are the more likely you will go away soon. Supervisors are all extremely inexperienced and will likely get someone killed in that line of work.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Nearly everything imaginable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight