Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Hazmat worker
Hazardous Waste Technician (Former Employee) –  Aragonite, UTAugust 17, 2018
Loved working at this job. Was definitely a lot of hard work but I enjoyed all of the experience, training, and education that was given to me. Endless amounts of overtime which I loved, and lots of room to grow just like I preferred.
Not progressive
Clean pack chemist IV (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 16, 2018
They will work you to death if you let them. Benifits are marginal for the work and risk involved. Management and workers are poorly trained. The database sysyem is agrivating, ancient and poorly intigrated across the company.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Poorly managed
Good place to start a career
Field tech (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 13, 2018
Good place to start a new career
Good benefits
Very safe work
People are very good with each other
Work safe not hard
Very understanding company .
Mission Statement is secondary
Sales (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAAugust 6, 2018
Clean Harbors consistently makes changes to its structure. In 2 years I have had 4 bosses, 2 title changes and the bonus structure was cut to 1/3 of the original bonus plan. There are no annual increases at the company and the 401K match was reinstituted in 2017 to a maximum of $750/yr. The company has great potential, however promotions go to "yes men". Programs are designed to spur customer interest, however managers and service lines fight for revenue, not what is best for the client. The organization is operationally driven and the customer becomes secondary.
Upper management is more concerned with the salesforce matrix the account managers meet, than the quality of the meetings/ revenue achieved.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Upper Management
Horrible
Receiving Chemist (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, ARAugust 3, 2018
Management is always pushing for more. Mandatoried for extra work days, with little warning. Hard to plan time with family and friends. Months without weekends off and many missed Church events.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
good
Human Resource Manager DuraTherm (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
Duratherm Inc,was acquired by Clean Harbors, during my time at Duratherm was a great experience I enjoyed my position as Human Resource Manager I was able to increase the employee moral and maintain an excellent employee management relationship. I worked very hard during the acquisition.

As an employee of Clean Harbors, I felt Clean Harbors did not appreciate my hard works or care about the employees.
Stressful
Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTAugust 1, 2018
Poor equipment and management. No room for advancement. No raise since 2005. Your penalized for others poor performance. You not valued your just a number
No raise in 3 years.
Class A CDL Hazmat Driver (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 31, 2018
Have not had a raise in 3 years, local branch management is very poor. equipment is good, training is very good. Most of the people at my branch are good people
Decent work place
employee (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2018
Having the ability to work remotely is great, but comes with a trade off for offset hours. I am constantly working trying to make sure the projects are running smooth and that the teams have work. Though this company teaches you different things about the industry, you have to go and grab every opportunity you get to learn, that includes taking your own personal time to learn. Management is okay, but the office politics really way down the teams. The company could grab so much more work if upper management could work together. Along with that, I think there should be a greater focus on organization to ensure operations are running smoothly. The hardest part of the job is to find balance between work and life. The work is not terribly hard but other individuals in this organization dump their work on others. At some point one has to say no and push back. The most enjoyable parts of the job are the interaction with customers, project building, completing projects with success, and working with the chemist teams.
Pros
ability to work remotely
Cons
healthcare, unorganized
good working environment
Field Technician/Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Clackamas, OR 97015July 27, 2018
it was a good place to get your feet into the door with other companies. and a good possibility for advancement.
great place to work and grow with the company.
Hi
Lead Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCJuly 27, 2018
Company takes advantage of you. If you are a hard worker they dont care. No communication with anyone. They will not pay you what you are worth. One minute they may put into your 401k then the next they take it away. They dont supply the tools and equipment that you need to get the job done right and in a safe manner. This company only cares about expansion rather then the people who work hard for them each and every day.
Pros
People
Cons
Alot to many to list
great place to work
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2018
Transported hazardous materials on a daily basis,also picked up waste at Navel Base San Diego and brought it back to our facility to be segregated and drummed up to be shipped off for disposal.
Pros
Grat people to work with
Clean Harbors Rating
Corporate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAJuly 25, 2018
Company is ok. Very hard to advance within. Raise freezes for over 5 years when the company continues to succeed. I have worked here for a very long time but feel that I have to leave to keep up with today's cost of living.
Software people with pride should look elsewhere
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAJuly 24, 2018
There are no great software people working at HQ. They buy all Microsoft products which should tell you something right there. It's a low-knowledge staff as bright people will not work there. You'll find typical suburbanites toiling away working nights and weekends because they have nowhere else to go. It's sad.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Working off hours, CEO is a disaster
Great place to start your career
vendor procurement (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAJuly 17, 2018
Fast Paced environment and hard to take days off. workplace culture is pretty good compare to the places I have worked before. The management is great and don't bother you if you finish your work on time.
Pros
balance life style
Cons
low compensation
Pays well
Clamshell Operator (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARJuly 13, 2018
Clean Harbors pays really well and can pretty much work a lot of overtime whenever. I really appreciate the 8 years that I was there, good or bad. I hate that I didn't get the chance to transfer before my notice was up. Clean Harbors is a great company to work for.
Pros
good money
Cons
the company needs to be careful about who they make managers
Typical Day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 9, 2018
CSR- Answer 30-40 phone calls. Fix everyone else's compliance paperwork. Answer between 100-180 emails a day. Pay is terrible. Company supposedly doesn't have money for pay raises. Unfulifilled promises. Hard work does not matter.
Pros
own office
Cons
pay is not good
long hours, plunty of overtime
Diesel repair technician (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJuly 7, 2018
okay place to work, long hours, no annual raises, good people, lots of overtime, facilities could use upgrading, equipment could use upgrading, benefits not the best
Not a good place to rely on for living
Sales & Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 2, 2018
No Overtime, no bonuses, no safety incentives, no perdiem for out of town, no advancement, not even a Christmas dinner. I’ve worked for other oilfield companies and was treated a lot better. The weekends here were good, lots of time off, but it’s a lot of time off to be broke and do nothing except stress over unpaid bills. The commissions check barely makes a difference. Not recommended if you have a house, vehicles, children etc. Management expects the most out of you, and threatens you to sell oil, if no sale, than your termination will be near. Other coworkers were the best to work around and very helpful. Wish to have stayed longer, but have bills to pay.
Pros
Weekends off if your not on call.
Cons
Pay, and raises.
Na
Property Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAJune 28, 2018
Opinions about clean Harbors are my own and will not be shared. Good Company to work for - Company went thru major move and acquisition during the time I worked there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight