Clean Harbors logo
Clean Harbors

Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Found 897 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,165 reviews

My manager specifically, is amazing. Other than that, there are no saving graces.

Hardest part of the job is getting past all the corner cut by upper management. Problems trickle down from the top, and the main problem is the work morale/environment. Those who slack off and do nothing get rewarded, and those that work hard and help out wherever they can get rewarded by doing other people's jobs. The cliques are terrible as well.

Pros

Paid HAZWOPER training, good but expensive benefits

Cons

30 min. lunches, expensive benefits, no work morale

N/a

Very risky Job too many dangerous possibilities. Unless your in management, sales or anything but field tech . Long on call hours every other week. Exhausting work and not properly compensated for.

You are and will be replaces

The company doesn’t care about its drivers at all the pay is ok but whatever you come in at is where you will stay don’t even think or ask about a raise because it will not happen

Easy way to get into the industry

Advancement is internal, I have watched several coworkers climb the ladder to supervisor and management positions during my years here. I have personally worked my way up from being a Technician, to a Wastewater Operator. Review reflects time as a technician, not time as a wastewater operator. Safe environment, lots and lots and lots (and lots) of training, and abundant opportunities to get further with your career goals. You'll wear many hats during your time here. Treat this company as a way to get into the environmental industry and develop yourself professionally. Approaching it with this mindset It pays off in spades.Pay is lower then it should be, but the other factors make up for it.High Turnover because inexperienced people expect a different environment. This field isn't for everyone.

Pros

Lots of Training, Promotes internally, Safety minded, Benifits, Networking

Cons

Pay is lower then average, stressful at times, Turnover

Worst company in the WORLD to work for.

I would rate this company ZERO stars if I could. I don't believe this company could put in any more effort to show how little they value their employees. Some people there have not had raises in YEARS! 3-5-7 YEARS! That shouldn't even be legal in this country. It's a toxic environment of backbiting and incompetence. Like working with crabs in a basket. Worst all-around experience of my lifetime (not just job, but everything). I'm glad to be gone.

Pros

Better than nothing I guess, but not much better.

Cons

Unprofessional. Favoritism. Very long, hard hours, mandatory six day weeks.

Do you have a family? Don't work here if ever want to see them

Expect to work 60-100 hours a week, keep a packed suitcase in your car and expect to travel for weeks or months if necessary. If you're married and have kids, or looking to start a family, stay away. You'll never be home. Management doesn't care about you. You're just a number and can be easily replaced.

Pros

Cons

Meals and hotel are paid for when traveling for work

Good with the bad

You would have to work here to know what people see in the company. Good help is hard to come by and management really doesn’t care. There are a few good people in the field but it’s not many.

Pros

Some good people do work here but they are mostly in the field

Cons

Management is subpar

It’s okay

No work life balance. Sometimes toxic environment. Many related relatives work together, and some don’t do as much work. Some supervisors are egotistical.

Pros

Older employees are supportive

Cons

Toxic

Okay place to work if you’re willing to travel

Fun place to work. Travel 80% of the time so not a lot of family time but the pay is good. Most of the time you’re only working with one other guy so the work can some times be exhausting.

Pros

Paid Hotels, Per Diem good Benefits

Cons

Travel

Just not for me

Worked with good people. however, you never know what you have to do till last minute, always on call, really hard to have a life with this company I wouldn't do this job unless your single and wanna travel

Jobs at Clean Harbors

See more jobs

Great place outside of the city

Great place for south of Boston. They have decent benefits and the people are great to work with. Everyone is very helpful throughout all the departments. The pay is competitive to the market and there is lots of opportunity to grow.

The management out of Cannon Falls is probably by far the worst I’ve ever worked for. They don’t really care about their employees and job security is none in the clean harbors vocabulary. I was told there was yearly raises and after two years I still hadn’t gotten a single one. I was was even more frustrated after learning all the new hires were coming in making more money than me, and whenever I asked about a raise they give some excuse and an empty promise that they will never keep. Career progression is almost impossible unless you bend over for management for a few years then you have a glimmer of hope and even then it’s not easy to come by. They ask for you to be available 24/7 unless you have time off approved, and trying to get time off is almost impossible. Benefits were good but quality of life and pay was horrific.

Benefits

Cons

No breaks

Short on pay for some people.

You get promised a lot and eventually start to realize none of it will come true. High turnover rate and co workers you can’t count on half the time. People underpaid and not credited when they actually deserve it.

Cons

Pay, short hour, false hope

Horrible place

In the interview they say the company is like a family. But this is the worse family I’ve ever seen. They want you to work 6a-6p for little pay. They talk down to you and when your lucky they feed you scraps from the front office. They demand so much from you but will not even respect you or your family. This place is a HR nightmare

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Short breaks little pay

Work life balance is non existent.

Many times where I had a vacation scheduled I was asked to cancel for the good of the company. If you went, call after call for emergencies. Also if you advance and make more than your direct report they did everything to stop the hiring. He know who he is.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Everything else.

Good ppl

Most guys are easy to work with you get to travel the country and meet all kinds of cultures it was a blast working for these guys if you need time off they will do there best to get it for you

Overworked and underpaid

They expect so much out of you for little money don’t waste your time you barely get holidays off or anything they act like you don’t have a life and it’s only about the company

Pros

The give you vacation time at the beginning

Cons

Low rate of pay

Good place to work great benefits/ pays decent but Overtime is where the moneys at.

Company has great benefits and the pay is decent you mostly make good money because of all the Overtime. Work isn’t too hard but at times you do have to be on top of HR about your hours or pay coming correct which is annoying.

Benefits

Cons

No steady schedule

Everyone is miserable

The worst place I have ever worked for. I don’t know if it was just the department I was in, but it was the worst experience. The department head had no idea what they were doing, the other employees were constantly rude and disrespectful, and the turnover rate was extremely high. Quitting this place was the best part, save yourself the torment and don’t work here.

Cons

Not a good place to work

Company acts like they care about employees but, management doesn't and will throw their employees under the bus very quickly. Most positions have a high turnover. The best thing is the amount of time you get to take off, of course that's if you are allowed to actually take the time. Their training is horrible, your just expected to figure it out. They call it the "Clean Harbor" way. There are some good people there that deserve much better.

Pros

Pto

Cons

Training, Work life balance, Advancement, Equipment, Management

Toxic management and under-compensated work

Management is willing to overlook the needs of employees for their own personal needs/goals. I was told I would be doing very different work and projects than what I actually ended up doing. Unless you've been in this field long, your pay won't reflect the level of work they're asking you to perform. If you're looking to be used in the most convenient way management sees fit and be underpaid for the pleasure, look no further.

Pros

colleagues are often great

Cons

Terrible pay, terrible management, no room for forward mobility

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

Ratings from women

2.3
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.1Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight