Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Kiss your personal life goodbye
Field Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 18, 2018
The Field Services group within Clean Harbors is a complete joke. Management does not care about the employees whatsoever. Plan to never be home. Also, plan to be on cal 24-7 and only get paid while you are responding. There is absolutely no compensation for the time you are on call and not working. On top of this you are expected to drop everything in your personal life and be at your shop within 30 minutes of your "call." I would say that it's an okay place to work if: you are single, don't have kids, and are in no way interested in having a life outside of work. THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION. I am only speaking for the field services group. Remember, once you have accepted an offer letter.... You can officially kiss your personal life goodbye.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No Personal Life
Get your experience and then get out!
Field Chemist (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 11, 2018
Way too many bosses who know absolutely nothing about logistics, D.O.T. rules and regs. Severely micro-managed. The vehicles are extremely old and will break down on you. You will never be promoted. You could be out all week and may have to be in the office on Saturday morning for a meeting. They care nothing for your personal time. They're mentality is that you either sink or swim. I was told that by the manager of the Dallas branch. They will train you for maybe two weeks and expect you to know waste codes and packaging. After that you are on your own to deal with dangerous chemicals and the embarrassment of limited knowledge to customers who deserve to be serviced properly and appropriately. You have been warned!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Management, pay, old filthy vehicles that "will" break down on you.
good company to work for
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2018
Nice work environment.Everyone new there place in the food chain. They are a big company with 15,000 employees sometimes Management didn't know some Employees names.
Great company
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 29, 2018
Great staff and company I enjoyed working on a contract with them recommend them to anyone excellent (PPE) THIS COMPANY PRIDES their self on Safety an properly Conversation their employees
Na
Property Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MASeptember 26, 2018
Opinions about clean Harbors are my own and will not be shared. Good Company to work for - Company went thru major move and acquisition during the time I worked there.
Relaxed Environment
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Work and all is well no raises no promotion employees are cool people some managers qork do get slow winter rime always qorking outside a lot of supervision from upper management hard work pays low good work Experience
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
No raises
Flexible schedule
Opertor (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 17, 2018
It was a lotta issues with management, Schedule was never made in time they will always have to text your call you and tell you will you have to go and sometimes that in pay traveling 10
job
Field Tech, Environmental Engineering Technicians (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 17, 2018
i was young at the time and didnt have th exsperience but they made me feel comforable by me being a young man in this type if buisiness.i worked here for a while but later found a new job
i cannot think of any at this time
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARSeptember 16, 2018
it had its moments and days but overall my 28 years at that company was good. just wished I had opportunities to move within the company locally. the only way I was able to get a raise was to re-locate to another facility.
Pros
worked days
Cons
no raise
Typiacl work week
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MA,August 28, 2018
I traveled a lot. When management had their stuff together work went well. There was confusion about jobs and where we were supposed to go and do most of the time. The benefits were great but it was hard to get the days or weeks of vacation desired sometimes. The hardest part of my job was being away from my small children for months at a time.
Pros
prediem, hotels were included, and travel expenses were paid
Cons
away from family too long, hard to get days off, confusion from management.
Stressful job, easily burnt out
Field Services Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  MidwestAugust 25, 2018
Unroutine hours, on call 24/7. No overtime compensation. Bonuses are low, not guaranteed. No incentive to excel at current position. Whether you make the bonus requirements or exceed by 300% become the same pay. Available positions not always posted, still given in a roundabout "good ole boy" style
Pros
depends on supervisor
Cons
Executive management only cares about investors
Missing money from paycheck
Class A CDL Driver Hazmat (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 24, 2018
missing money from paycheck for over a month. They act like they dont know whats going on. They also say they pay for what your signed off on but they hire people with way less experience with more money than those that are competent have more experience.
Safety Kleen
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 22, 2018
SK is owned by CH. SK on average in Florida area low pay over worked. Only thing they care about is selling oil. Your home life doesn’t matter. Your local BGM and CSM ( who do not get out and sell oil and are supposed to ) will threaten you with “ if you don’t sell oil every week you are required to work Saturday... you got it selling oil. As a service rep you have many responsibilities and you are required to get them done along with #1 selling oil. All the local reps and employees are great, helpful and tired. This company could be amazing but local management is greedy. The company does give a lot of training. Health insurance is costly but ways to cut cost through medical visits. Vacation roughly 2 weeks for 1st few years and only goes up from there. Not the worst company, definitely more of a local issue in Florida. The equipment ( trucks ) are old.
Pros
Home daily, steady money, vacation days, huge company
Cons
Pay, health care cost, local management, equipment age
Long hours and do not match 401k
Technical Services Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 22, 2018
Clean Harbors is not a bad place to work. You work long hours depending on the days work load. Pay is good to slightly above average however, corporate decided to stop contributing to 401k's to save money for the stock holders. One of the reasons I left.
Hazmat worker
Hazardous Waste Technician (Former Employee) –  Aragonite, UTAugust 17, 2018
Loved working at this job. Was definitely a lot of hard work but I enjoyed all of the experience, training, and education that was given to me. Endless amounts of overtime which I loved, and lots of room to grow just like I preferred.
Not progressive
Clean pack chemist IV (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 16, 2018
They will work you to death if you let them. Benifits are marginal for the work and risk involved. Management and workers are poorly trained. The database sysyem is agrivating, ancient and poorly intigrated across the company.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Poorly managed
Too far of a commute
Driver(Class B)/Service Tech (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 15, 2018
My commute was a 140 mile round trip. From Fairfield to San Jose every day. The commute was too far and was very fatiguing being that I was driving as my position required me too.
Good place to start a career
Field tech (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 13, 2018
Good place to start a new career
Good benefits
Very safe work
People are very good with each other
Work safe not hard
Very understanding company .
Mission Statement is secondary
Sales (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAAugust 6, 2018
Clean Harbors consistently makes changes to its structure. In 2 years I have had 4 bosses, 2 title changes and the bonus structure was cut to 1/3 of the original bonus plan. There are no annual increases at the company and the 401K match was reinstituted in 2017 to a maximum of $750/yr. The company has great potential, however promotions go to "yes men". Programs are designed to spur customer interest, however managers and service lines fight for revenue, not what is best for the client. The organization is operationally driven and the customer becomes secondary.
Upper management is more concerned with the salesforce matrix the account managers meet, than the quality of the meetings/ revenue achieved.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Upper Management
Horrible
Receiving Chemist (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, ARAugust 3, 2018
Management is always pushing for more. Mandatoried for extra work days, with little warning. Hard to plan time with family and friends. Months without weekends off and many missed Church events.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight