Clearwater Marine Aquarium Employee Reviews

A thrilling place to work. A mission driven environment.
front-line guest service and support team member (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 26, 2018
The best job I have ever had that utilized all of my strengths and still challenged me to improve and flourish. Guest interaction and education about the aquariums' mission and goals were always the highlight of my day. Small enough to have daily interaction with upper level management. Made great friends with fellow employees. laughed a lot and enjoyed every day, even during the busiest times.
Pros
Small theme park atmosphere, unusual work environment, meeting great guest from all over the world.
Cons
Not for Profit organization with limited opprtunities for full time work
Captain (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 3, 2018
I love working at the aquarium. My Supervisor is fair and easy to work with. I work two or 3 days a week which is perfect for me. The schedule is done as a team for an entire month.
The hourly rate to me is a bit under scale but they are working on it. We have lost some good Captains due to winter scheduling and reduction in boat tours for slow season. There are no full time Captain positions which is a drawback for some.
The season is coming and we are adding mates to our boat tours and hiring more Captains.
Itss an awesome part time job.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, nice people work there, good Supervisor
Cons
CEO seems to run the place without much input from lower Management..
Good Company
CAPTAIN (Current Employee) –  Clearwater Beach, FLJanuary 24, 2018
The company overall is a good place to work. The only issue is the continuously changing boat schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to all the customers from allover.
Amazing career experience.
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 17, 2017
The staff at CMA are the most amazing people I have ever met. Their commitment to Wildlife rescue, rehab, release are 2nd to none. The permanent resident animals are still dear to me, and I look forward to being able to return to work here permanently.
Pros
Wonderful people, amazing career experience
Cons
no pay.
I worked here for Bright Future hours
Volunteer Dive Team Member (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 12, 2017
I literally put on a diving suit and my gear and hopped in the tanks to scrub them clean for an hour or two until I had enough hours to admit into my Bright Futures. Nothing crazy.
Not your typical Place
Ticketing Department (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 3, 2017
I really Love working here!! But unfortunately, it is not a job to have permanently. You aren't guaranteed hours unless its peak season. However they treat their employees greatly, and we work together like a big family.
Pros
Fun environment, great discounts, not high stress
Cons
no guaranteed hours and little opportunity to advance
Good boats, poor management
Captain (Former Employee) –  Clearwater Beach, FLJune 10, 2017
The last I heard there was talk of making the captains positions voluntary. Compensation is below industry standard and micromanagement by desk jockeys is problematic. Good luck.
Pros
It looks good on your resume
Cons
Everything else
Fun, family-like environment
CAPTAIN (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 9, 2017
Lots of opportunities to learn and advance within the company. Manager is well informed and a great communicator. Co-captains and mates are good at their jobs and a pleasure to work with.
Great place for part time work
Hospitality Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 9, 2017
The atmosphere is wonderful and all team members work together to provide the best experience for guests. The work is part time and just above minimum wage, offers seasonal and permanent positions. Room for advancement within reason. Management is helpful and encouraging. I love working here but will have to get a second job to supplement income.
Pros
team atmosphere, fun place to work
Cons
variable hours based on season
Good to volunteers
Education Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 27, 2017
They are very flexible with you. You experience may vary for your department. I worked in Education. All of the staff is very nice. I can't keep working because of work but I wish I could
None profit bad employer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 26, 2017
save your time. Don't work here, the management is terrible. None profit yet the executive office gets paid a huge salary and doesn't care about the little people. thumbs down. human resources department does nothing for your benefit, nothing is confidential.
Pros
Dolphins
Cons
everything else
Great Job
Senior Guest Experience Associate (Current Employee) –  249 Windward Passage, Clearwater FloridaDecember 29, 2016
Work is a very fun. Every day is completely different and generally pleasant. I learned a lot about animals and had to memorize many hours worth of information. My co-workers are very nice and most of the other staff members of the facility outside of my department.
Fun
Team Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 14, 2016
Greeting guests. I learned about different cultures, Management was very poor, Co-workers where fun to be around. Hardest part of the job was being in the heat for hours at a time. Enjoyable part was meeting new people all the time.
Pros
Discounts on theme parks
Cons
happy and fun place to work with
Asistente de Servicios de Comida (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 30, 2016
I loved working here and it was a great experience. Started without any experience in a real work and it help me and gave me all the techniques and abilities I know now.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no breaks
retail
Sales team member (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 27, 2016
forces you to sell sell sell because it goes back to caring for the animals. yet they are getting paid in big amounts. make customers feel good your walking up to them and trying to get them to buy more to help the hospital save more animals.
Pros
nice coworkers, nice mission to rescue rehab rehabilitate
Cons
must sell sell sell, engage customers.
Fun job
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 23, 2016
My first 2 years i always worked at the aquarium where I got to interact with guests, work with and train co-workers. Everyday i went to work right on the water and got a tan in paradise while getting paid. my 3rd year i got promoted to manager full time with benefits, after my promotion i transferred tot he 2nd locations all about the movie dolphin tale in downtown clearwater. i love working there, always have wonderful people, all the departments work together as a team. my favorite part of the job is being able interact with guests and answers their questions and concerns so they have the best day.The hardest part is when we have the actors come from dolphin tale the movie and their are so many guests its hard to keep everyone happy but with an awesome team and goo communication we always make it through.
Pros
love my co-workers, fun work enviroment
Cons
lack of communication sometimes
Non profit??? Not for the upper management.
Captain (Former Employee) –  Clearwater Beach, FLNovember 30, 2015
I worked as a Captain for a year. Upper management is overpaid and micro manages every single part of of the organization. They prey on these college educated kids who work for 10.00 an hour because they love animals. Policies and procedures apply to some and not all. It's really all about the money at CMA. Each dolphin brings in atleast 1 million a year. Save yourself the headache , go work elsewhere.
Pros
Great to see less fortunate people have a good time.
Cons
Too many to list
Enjoyable job.
Ticketing associate (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 23, 2015
Excellent place to work, easy going, laid back for the most part. You'll end up meeting some amazing guests that's been through a lot, most are tourists. Came across so many different interesting people from other countries. Good experience.
Pros
Learn interesting facts about the animals and how they got there.
Cons
Promised to train as lead and guest service, but supervisor failed to do so.
Great Place to work at as a Captain
Captain (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 5, 2015
This is a great place to work. The boats are fueled up and pumped out in the morning. The schedule is put out a month in advance, so the lead captain gives you plenty of time to plan events on your off days. Picking up shifts is easy, as long as it will not put you into overtime. The passengers can be aggravated, it depends on the weather, the amount of people at the aquarium, and how they have been treated in other parts of the Aquarium. The co-workers are always fun to work with. The hardest part about this job is dealing with grumpy people (customers) and making safety weather calls as a captain. The most enjoyable part of the job is when someone on-board makes a comment such as "This has been the best part of the day, I'm so thankful you stopped to let us see the wild dolphins." This is a great place to work at if you are a new captain, fresh out of school, or as a retirement job opportunity. I would not recommend this as a full-time position, or as a life-long career choice.
Pros
Pay and the people you work with
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts in the heat
Typical non-profit issues
Operations (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 14, 2015
The best part of this job has been the people I met. The heat, the crowds, and the chaos during busy seasons are the worst parts. You won't make hardly any money and will work very hard for the small paycheck. But sometimes you see a kid with cancer or in a wheelchair smiling because they met Winter and your day feels meaningful. Not a long term career place unless you're in animal care or executive level. Still, probably a lot more meaningful work than the other seasonal tourist attraction jobs Clearwater has to offer.
Pros
Co-workers, mission
Cons
Pay, work conditions, crowds