Cleary Building Corp.
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Cleary Building Corp. Employee Reviews

United States183 reviews
No support from above. Was told I needed to cut workers wages to receive any of the promised bonuses. How can the men care when they know corporate thinks they make too much.
Short and sweet: loved working here. Everyone I worked with was awesome and really helpful. Im glad I worked here, and i cant say I wouldnt apply here again if the situation arose. My only complaint is the pay. benefits are what they are and float around the same ballpark as anywhere really. they upped the ante's on paid vacay days while I was there, (likely a tactic to reduce turnover, as most companies have done this.)The proprietary BIM software they use in house is very good. easy to navigate. AutoCAD is the drafting software used, (because its extremely trainable.) very little exp. required. Everthing is set up with list routines. you just edit what is needed.Very good job for early 20's or an aspiring drafter coming from other career. It simply comes down to pay. starting wage is about $2 to $3 lower than should be for someone with my particular age and exp.. Wick offered me $3 more an hour than I was making just to start! Cleary is 'debt free' because they arent quite at the wage level as everyone else. Im not by any means knocking, but a bit of a pay scale boost up to where it should be and Id probly try to get back in! Id have no problem working my #$% off for em, if they offered the pay they should be.Other than that, GREAT place!
Pros
lot of food and catering, etc. YUM!
Cons
low pay.
Horrible company, I worked for Cleary for over 12 years, just put more work on you and never get good raises or even a thank you! Don’t care about their employees, you are just a number.
Pros
Flexible schedule for office
Cons
pay is horrible.
Hires about anybody. No hours. Good pay. Management doesn’t look out for there employees. Multiple people quit including the foreman due to lack of hours. I loved the job when I worked. I wish they had a better foundation at my location. I’d say find a different job because the branches in Minnesota don’t look out for there employees.
Pros
Easy going at work while getting things done. Reasonable distance.
Cons
No hours for weeks. The boss doesn’t care about there employees financial situations
I’m honestly not sure where to begin. This poor excuse for a “company” never quite did escape 1978. Almost everything is on paper. Their computer programs and equipment were ancient. The benefits and the pay are insulting, and there are little to no raise or bonus opportunities. I received absolutely no training. They don’t hire a cleaning crew, and expect their employees to clean everything. The building has absolutely no insulation. It’s hot and humid in the summer, and freezing temperatures in the winter. Please don’t waste your time at this company.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Everything else
June 30, 2020
This whole post is a lie! Though this reviewer does not say who they are, we are fairly certain who this person is. Cleary Building Corp retains some of the finest individuals. We are very proud of our team and their commitment to excellence!! We pay our team above industry average and offer rewarding bonus opportunities. We pride ourselves on holding people accountable and feel strongly that is what led to this negative post. We are not perfect, nor do we claim to be; however, we do take great pride in taking care of our team and providing endless opportunity at all of our branches for those individuals who choose to take advantage of them through hard work and dedication.

We have many successful individuals in our offices and we are very proud of each and every one of them. This individual had plenty of opportunities to discuss their job duties, training, working conditions, and anything else they desired. Yet, this person did not voice any concerns, and hides behind this anonymous post to spew negativity. We constantly strive to create a pleasant work environment for all employees.

We have a cleaning crew and we have provided additional supplies for all employees to clean their work area frequently to assure that they are protected and safe with an abundance of caution due to the pandemic. Even though we are troubled by the directness of this post, there is no disputing that Cleary Building Corp is a great company that has been in business since 1978, is debt-free, and currently employs hundreds of people across the United States, offering rewarding opportunities
 - more...
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Are you tired of living and working with technology? Do you enjoy having little to no input on policies and procedures? Do you enjoy not getting trained for your specific position? Do you enjoy not being paid enough to live within an hour of the office without supplemental income? Do you enjoy bonuses being contingent on every other department performing perfectly instead of being based on personal metrics? Then Cleary is the place for you! This company is still living in 1980. Be prepared for your bonus to go toward expanding the office space and then being berated by the CEO for other departments not carrying their weight. There’s so much turnover because of extremely poor policies passed down from ignorant managers in the company who don’t understand what happens to the job after the customer signs the dotted line. If you are looking to get into civil engineering or construction admin, this is a good place to get experience de under your belt before moving somewhere that will actually teach you something and help you grow.
Pros
Relatively flexible hours, could listen to music at desk
Cons
Inefficient policies make your job harder, little to no actual training for your position, extremely high expectations, very little compensation, bonus will never be given in full, paper everything instead of actually using computers, can hear CEO screaming at employees no matter where you sit
June 25, 2020
Cleary Building Corp has been a growing and successful business for over 42 years. The company has sold over 115,000 structures; has a 99% customer satisfaction rating, and continues to flourish throughout the United States. Cleary Management has an open door policy. All employees are encouraged to express and discuss their concerns. We pride ourselves on having many long-tenured employees. Unlike many companies, all employees are eligible for performance based bonus plans and many share in these rewards year after year. The company and its employees are thriving in a very competitive industry.
Cleary Building Corp values our employees and encourages input which enhance systems and procedures. In fact, each month we remind employees of the company’s “Great Idea” program, inviting people to share their thoughts regarding continuous improvement – then sharing in identified cost savings. Employee Turnover at our World headquarters in Verona, Wisconsin is substantially lower than nationwide averages.

Technology has long been a priority at Cleary Building Corp. The Construction Processing department utilizes a successful training program for new hires and utilizes an industry leading 3D imaging software for all building projects.

We do not know who posted this message and we likely will not be able to change their opinion of the company. We would have preferred that this person expressed their concerns directly prior to their departure.
Cleary is lairs they do what ever it takes to look out for them selves even if that means screwing 5he little guy noone can be trusted the lie cheat change your hours and they pay minumem wGe for drive timewhixj is not legel
June 24, 2020
Though we welcome and appreciate any feedback whether positive or negative, it is unfortunate to read posts like this, especially when made anonymously. These types of “posts” obviously do not afford us the ability to review and analyze a specific situation then attempt to work through areas of concern or disagreement with an employee. What we will say is that we have some of the best compensation packages in the industry, and follow all State and Federal guidelines regarding compensation for drive time. Furthermore, we offer (but do not require) employees the opportunity to be transported by the company to job sites. Employees are also welcome to forego the company’s offer and meet up with their work crew at the jobsite. Cleary Building Corp. has been a growing and successful company for 43 years now, and would not have accomplished this without abiding by our company values of honesty and integrity. If this individual would like to speak to us directly, the region manager and/or I both stand ready and willing to discuss any perceived concerns they may have.

Ron Kempkers

Senior General Manager of Operations, Western Division
They have great buildings but poor training and support for employees!! While there product is good they do not support their employees and haphazard crew instruction.
If you enjoy being lied to, being lied about. Working for a company that has absolutely no sense of team work. Doesn't care about anything but their money, and gives you, the driver, the opportunity to as for tens of thousands of dollars, from upset customers, that have been deceived from the start.
Then Cleary is for you!!
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Liars!, NO driver support(especially after 5pm)., Will do everything they can to make your job as difficult as possible.
April 16, 2020
CLEARY RESPONSE:
Cleary Building Corp. has a fleet of 8 semi drivers at our Grand Island, NE manufacturing facility with over 40 years of combined service to our company! And, their career transportation experience is more than double that amount! Our semi drivers at all facilities are completely supportive of one another, and work closely together so that if anyone has issues, or is running behind, another driver can assist with getting materials delivered. Assistance is available 24/7 to all drivers from our Transportation Department and others at our corporate headquarters. The statement concerning a lack of “support” (especially after 5 pm) for semi drivers is completely false. Furthermore, our Transportation Department consistently and continually provides timely and accurate information to all drivers regarding deliveries, weather, and job site conditions. We are very transparent in our communication at all times with all employees and Clients, and I would suspect that the person who posted this realizes that. It appears that they simply were not happy that they were told to perform to the standard and agreed upon job duties. – Cleary Building Corp.
The way its based out of wisconsin and they try to run it up there without a clue of whats actually going on here is flawed. Also the manager and assistant manager at the plant are kind of entitled and handle confrontation or disagreements poorly constantly screaming at everyone over 1 person's mistake.
There is no work life balance and they feed you the lie that they understand family. I have a very active family and when needed to be someplace for my kids I was scolded for not being at work or not sending emails out because I was doing homework with my kids at home. I had no direct support or proper training from my supervisor and was expected to act like a tenured employee when I was only a few weeks in.
March 24, 2020
Cleary Building Corp has outstanding policies, procedures, training programs and guidelines established over 43 years in business. We strongly disagree that “our belief in family is a lie,” and frankly take issue that someone can post slanderous comments on social media so easily. We are well aware of who this posting is from, and will say without a shadow of a doubt that direct support and proper training was indeed provided. Additionally, in this specific situation I was personally involved with extra support and training above and beyond what is included in our already elaborate training programs. That said, we do have solid procedures when it comes to attendance, proper communication and direct reporting which is essential in any successful company. Accountability is the lifeblood to success, and we are very proud of the standards, policies and procedures we have in place at Cleary Building Corp. - Ron Kempkers, Senior General Manager of Operations, Western Division
This company doesn't care about your personal life or life balance. They want 200% of your time and demands and expectations are not even close to reasonable.
Pros
Cons
Not a good company
March 24, 2020
Today’s construction world, specifically the post frame industry, is a fast paced environment. Being a branch manager for Cleary Building Corp takes strong time management and organizational skills, as well as follow up ability. For someone who lacks these key attributes, finding a proper balance between work and home life is essential. We offer a highly lucrative compensation package and long term career options for those who are able to properly balance their responsibilities. Cleary is a family owned business and fully realizes the importance of a healthy balance of work and home life and we promote that culture to all of our employees. If you are looking for a rewarding career or just interested in learning more about the opportunities we provide, we encourage you to visit our website at www.careersatcleary.com - Brian Ransom, General Manager of Eastern Operations
They gave me the chance to get the work experience i needed to even be considered for a job like this, even started me out at a very fair rate being that i had absolutely no experience working in that field. Overall great job
They never have the stuff in order. I never knew if i was working or not from day to day. Was not trained properly for the job. Foreman on job was very direct and impolite. The job was sketchy. Not a safe work environment. No one followed saftey at all. It was the least of their worries.
March 5, 2020
Cleary Building Corp believes that employees are our most valuable resource and the lifeblood to our success. We do everything we can to create a safe environment in which people are able to be successful and to perform their job safely. Safety is of the utmost importance and is a top priority at Cleary. We maintain strict safety policies and invest in top-of-the-line fall protection and personal protective equipment in order to provide the safest work environment possible for our employees. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this former employee’s concerns regarding his/her experiences and will correct any deficiencies. I can be reached at our Corporate World Headquarters located in Verona, Wisconsin at 608-845-9700. - Thank you, Brian Ransom, General Manager of Operations.
will work no matter what the time of year is, benefits are very expensive. crews are always short handed with little to no experience due to high turnover rate.
This company will have you travel alot you will put in alot of man hours the offer benefits and bonuses and u will be in a company truck for traveling
Took very little time to train and had no follow up. My performance was always questioned but I was never shown any policies. I was left to fend for myself for previous employers lying to clients.
February 4, 2020
Sales are the life blood of our business. At Cleary, we do a great many things to support of our sales employees, because as they succeed, the company succeeds. Shortly after hire, new sales employees participate in a full week of off-site training. Employees have complete on-line access to all policies and procedures via the company’s intranet.

Sales Reps also receive daily and weekly feedback (coaching and counseling) as well as follow-up one on one training sessions with Branch, Regional, and Corporate Sales managers on a regular basis. Such training, along with a lucrative incentive based compensation plan has proven to support a great many individuals throughout long and successful careers selling Cleary buildings.

We do not support or encourage hard sell techniques. Rather, we teach and expect consultative sales methods. Those who make the effort to learn the construction industry; Cleary’s diverse product line; and who pride themselves as being customer service oriented are fully able to successfully present the best solutions every time, helping client’s fulfill their dreams.

If you have a desire to advance your career by working for a successful / growing company, we’d encourage you to consider a sales positon with us.

Cleary Building Corp.
Worked here for a bout 10 years. Have been well rewarded for my efforts. Great Management Team - made up of bright, hard working individuals. Enjoy coming to work each day.
Pros
Job Security; Very successful history and bright future.
Cons
Often feel spread a bit thin.
Only had 2 weeks to prove myself at this company. Manager knew I was being hired on with NO previous experience. Didnt get in a full 40 hr week because I was "low man on the totum pull" as they called it. I was let go after 2 weeks because I wasnt helping them dig out of their hole from them being behind for months. Overall bad experience. Got my 90 day review basically after 2 weeks. Poo
Sat around my house for a week before getting onto a job (7 hours from home mind you). Only got good hours leaving town, after first job sat around another week begging for work. Got on a job (3 hours from home) lost my future house, finished job never went back.
Pros
Paid lodging
Cons
Lack of work, and local formans
Great pay. They will pay you enough to keep you around. Always out of town. If you have a family do not apply. The only way you can move up in the company is if you put your personal on hold and work till you are so wore out that you quit cuz your body can't take it anymore. The management of this company is horrible. Nothing that you need is done in a timely manner but they want there stuff done right away.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cleary Building Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8