Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Una de las mejores firmas de abogados del mundo
Foreign Associate (Former Employee) –  New York StateJune 3, 2018
Cleary Gottlieb es considerada una de las mejores firmas de abogados del mundo, y ha sido elegida en los últimos 6 años consecutivos (2012-2017) como Best Law Firm in Latin America
por Latin Finance. Asimismo, Cleary Gottlieb fue distinguida como Best Law Firm in Latin America Over the Last 20 Years por LatinFinance por el periodo comprendido entre 1988 y 2008.
Pros
Excelencia, buena cultura laboral, trabajo desafiante, excelente remuneración
Cons
Poco equilibrio entre vida laboral y personal
Productive Place to Work
Professional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 16, 2018
Great Job work/Life Balance. The Compensation and benefits I heard were great. I believe their is good job security and advancement. Management so far has been fair and the job culture is average.
Pros
Free coffee and a Cafe so you never have to leave the budiling
Cons
No Cons
Not a great culture for support staff..
Conference Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2018
Their specialty is in corporate law so it is fast paced and not a lot of room for encouragement. It is all about the billable hours. The support staff is under valued.
Pros
Great, Great benefits
Cons
Work life culture
Good company to work for
Legal Secretary/Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Legal SecretaryMarch 15, 2018
Good company to work for, although I think that more substantive work could have been more evenly distributed to secretaries. I think the firm is working on this now.
Priceless experience
Attorney (Private Equity Group) (Former Employee) –  New York, NY; London U.K.February 16, 2018
Working with the Partners at Cleary, reminded me f my times at Paul Weiss. It is a great place to work: if you like the work. The intellectual horsepower that surrounds you, only makes you better at a craft hat you (I would think) actually like. My day would start very early (only because I;m a very early riser and did a lot of international work - competing time differentials).

The hardest part of the ob was saying no to work that I wanted (there are only 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week and I can't let existing responsibilities and commitments suffer at the hands of my own interest in doing other things I found interesting). One must always be committed to the duties on your desk, and not distracted by the duties you also want on your desk.

The best part were the people. Smart, smart, and smart. And if you were too, they acknowledged it and always gave you credit for it. Like I saud, it reminded me of my time at Paul Weis.
Pros
Smart people around you all the time who handle themselves with grace and easiness.
Cons
For me, here was no upward mobility.
Very noisy and unprofessional
Print Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2018
Managers and supervisors falsify your performance review.

Age discrimination

Supervision is terrible.

Staff are not being replaced that have left the company which makes it more work on the people who are still there.

Do not recognize you for hard work when it is performance review time.
Cons
Hardly any breaks
Prestigious law firm with experienced professionals
Project Attorney (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2017
Good place to work. Experienced team of professionals. High profile litigation. Able to work on pro bono matters. CLE opportunities provided by the firm.
Pros
Support staff and resources
Cons
Hours can be long
Great people, terrible hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Cleary lawyers make the work almost worthwhile. The work is inherently stressful and left me feeling like I had no time for anything else. It dominated my life. But the people at Cleary were almost uniformly interesting, curious, brilliant, and kind.
Fast Paced International Law Firm
Client Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2016
A typical day at the office is stimulating and diverse with many complex challenges. The fast paced work environment is the most enjoyable part of the job. No day is the same. Working with a diverse group of attorneys is highly rewarding. I've learned so much from management and my peers. I am still learning. The most challenging part of my job is juggling my management duties while meeting important deadlines.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours with high demands
Okay
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
This is a great company to work for, for the right person. They have a great work environment for staff. It was a great learning experience and work atmosphere.
benefits
Cons
Work atmosphere

Want to know more about Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP?

Ask a question
CLEARY was the most influencial job I ever held and taught me work ethic, professionalism and privacy as there were many confidential cases.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2015
It was truly the most enjoyable place to work. Even though you worked hard and long you were always made to feel appreciated and an important part of the firm's success.
Pros
Salary, 401K, paid vacation.
Cons
Could not afford me the opportunity to raise my children.
Overall, an excellent place to work!
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2015
Amazing place to begin legal career. Days are long, but extremely rewarding. If interested in learning nuances of litigation/corporate law, you will learn VERY quickly. Peers are friendly, but the departments are definitely segregated. If you're in litigation, you really only work with litigation attorneys and paralegals. Extremely fast paced work environment but great benefits and PTO.
Pros
Cafeteria, Pto, Benefits, Professional, Top 10 Firm, Excellent Partners
Cons
Very difficult to advance if you are on the legal services/administrative side
Employee consideration tops. Overall excellent work/job experience. Friendly, considerate and thoughtful bosses.
Administrative Assistant to IT Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Heavy document production daily, time-keep of 40 employees, bosses carpe-diem records. Schedule conferences, US and over-seas. Schedule meetings and trips. Heavy phone service. Interacting with co-workers was always a pleasant experience. Participating in the Corporate Run yearly. I made lasting friendships and the Company always sponsored wonderful Christmas parties.
Great law firm
Temporary Floating Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Provided coverage for assistants during their absence. Was a well structured organization.
Pros
Worked with a different law on a daily basis.
It was a wonderful company and atmosphere to work in.
Supervisor, Legal Documentation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2014
I supervised approximately 15 word processing operators. Received incoming work requests via mail, fax or phone and delegating accordingly as per deadline priority. I worked with the best team.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Great NY-accounting systems team!
Staff Accountant - Temporary part-time (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2014
Enjoyed working full-time and part-time there and going to college full-time for a few semesters.
Pros
Location, team work
Very Productive Work Environment
Word Processing Supevisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
Very fast paced working environment, job stability. Being a supervisor there I have worked probably with the most helpful and hard working group of people in any workplace.
Great Workplace
Assistant / Scanning and Imaging Department (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2013
Typical work day consist of working accurately & productively in a timely manner.

I learned alot how to work accurately in a professional manner , use my time wisely, How to take on Multiple Assignments & Multi tasks

Co Workers worked As Team Oriented
Pros
great atmosphere to work in, great benefits
Cons
not enough salary, 35 hrs a week
Typical corporate law firm environment
BLUE SKY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorkJanuary 29, 2013
For a large law firm, pretty good environment although there can be some difficult personalities at times.
Company has great benefits
Continuing Legal Education Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2012
Great company to work for. Heavy volume of work flow though out the entire day. Learning updated versions on programs. Co-workers mostly friendly. Hardest part was finding information to complete new assignments without the training. Most enjoyable part was the thank you's for your job well done.
Pros
perks; workshops, raffles, paid holiday's parties
Cons
upper management unaware of your work load or job summary