Cleveland Metroparks Employee Reviews

Very long days
Seasonal Turf Laborer (Current Employee) –  Broadview Heights, OHFebruary 18, 2019
This job is meant for someone who loves to be outside during the hot summer for 8 hours a day. There are short breaks, but on hot days it can sometimes be unbearable.
Slow & Lacking Growth Opportunities
Grounds Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 10, 2018
It was a slow paced work environment with a very stereotypical hierarchy.

The hardest part of the job was trying to learn things and stay busy in an environment where everyone is already very comfortable in their daily habits.

I feel as though there needs to be a deliberate effort to cross train individuals or at the very least, intentionally expose people to opportunities of growth.

I can think of a specific time when my crew helped out the cement crew paving a new lot at the Bay Village. The crew was extremely rude. Although we were there to help them, they treated us like we were getting in their way and cared not to educate us, but to talk down to us.

My experience with the Cleveland Metroparks can be summed up as a lack of humaneness and ability to care about even the simplest of teachable moments. These types of moments are imperative for a staff to feel appreciated and feel as if there are growth opportunities. I felt completely stuck, even thought I enjoyed the nature of the job. It simply wasn't enough money to keep me happy and well, fed, although I was doing the same as a full-timer.

Lastly, It's also extremely disheartening watching fulltimers take advantage of the system, knowing that they don't have any repercussions. There was a guy who would routinely fall asleep on the job, hide out in the reservation and lolligag, making what I perceive to at least be a live-able income when I am busting my butt just to provide for myself with 10 dollars an hour. This makes the job very unenjoyable and animosity builds up very quick!
Pros
Relatively Stress Free, Good Hours
Cons
Pay, fullfillment - watching lazy fulltimers work less and get paid more
productive fun place to work
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 26, 2018
Honestly can't say anything bad about this corporation, I wish they had more full time positions. I also feel I won't be able to advance to a higher position. But other than that I love the people I've worked with and work for.
relaxed work enviroment
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Chagrin Falls, OHSeptember 21, 2018
Our primary responsibility is to keep the park maintained. The task vary from cleaning public facilities to mowing grass or repairing buildings and equipment. Management is poor. The culture is more accepting than most places. The hardest part of the job is dealing with incompetence and complacency. The best thing about the job is being outside in nature and having the freedom to enjoy it.
Pros
Pto, benefits, pension, union, wages
Cons
political
Potential to be great.
Grounds Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 3, 2018
Most of the people are great to work with and are helpful, positive workers. But a few bad apples make assumptions, spread lies and only look out for themselves, therefore making a stressful and toxic work environment. You can take your job serious and still have fun at work and NOT at others expense. Some people fail to realize this. There is also bad blood between the workers and the office/upper management. No one respects or appreciates the other making for reservations and hostility. If there were mutual respect between ALL employees and an attitude of teamwork and not me and I it would be a GREAT place to work. But the negativity has a way of turning good employees into complacent mediocre workers that only complain. Just my opinion and experience.... The park patrons and their appreciation of the parks is what REALLY makes it fun to come to work.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Toxic work environment, bad attitudes, back stabbing, bad relationship between upper management and workers
Great place to work at
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 15, 2018
Everyone is very welcoming and fun to talk to. You always were with people and had to talk to them. I have learned that retail can be hard but you have to keep going and take your time. If you mess up keep going. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with what place needed what item and when. The most enjoyable part would have to be being able to make friends and have a good time at work while working. It makes it less stressful.
No opportunity for advancement
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  OHJune 1, 2018
A great fit for individuals winding down in their career. There are no opportunities for growth or promotion within sectors of the organization. Employees take pride in their work and are passionate about the park system.
Easy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hinkley, OHMay 13, 2018
I only worked here for a season summer time position but I was not disappointed. Made friends and continued building my resume for Aquatics. Good employer.
Good for kids in school.
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHApril 14, 2018
The Cleveland Metroparks take very good care of their employees. Fairly paid, hours worked are what you want to work. Very relaxed environment. Good for kids in school.
Outdoor work environment with a refreshing break room
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bay Village, OHMarch 28, 2018
A tough job that requires discipline but has many benefits. Very early mornings but you get off in the afternoon. Great coworker relationships and a beautiful place of work.
Pros
Free zoo and golf passes
Cons
Early mornings
great thevplace to work and people are great
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 27, 2018
the day was pleasant and went fast. there is always your day to day work and special projects to be completed. the building is really nice and new pleasant atmosphere to work in
Pros
new equipment, new office, great people
Cons
i cant really come up with one
Cleveland Metro Park emplyoment
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 2, 2018
My work day consisted of showing up on time being prepared to work efficiently. I was tasked with watching over the beach and the patrons safety. I learned to take responsibility for my actions at a critically important position. Management at the Metro parks was structure for safety and success. Cleveland Metro parks keep the work place official in order to keep their reputation. I think the hardest part of the job being alert and ready at all time of the day. The most enjoyable part of working at the Metro parks is the work environment. I felt that all employees are treated equal.
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
nothing
relaxed culture
Seasonal Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHNovember 5, 2017
non-stressful, manual labor. new tasks daily. work independently without much supervision. tasks change daily. Get to work outside. Work with a big crew.
Pros
relaxed culture
Cons
low pay
Highly Recommend This Company!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, OHNovember 1, 2017
I highly recommend working for The Cleveland Metroparks. This company is great and always looking to make Cleveland a better place and fix it up. I was a bartender at the Edgewater Beach House and was paid very well. The management were very relaxed and fun to be around. Overall this seasonal position was great!
Pros
Management, Coworkers, Hours
no room for advancement
Service Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 30, 2017
manager had his favorites, able to try for different positions within the park system, however was not called for interview, was not given reason not hired on full time or part time.
Pros
liked working with fellow seasonal co-workers, free zoo pass
Cons
no advancement, no respect for seasonal workers.
Very fun and coworkers are great
Concession/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHOctober 2, 2017
The shifts are morning or night but not too bad for a part time job. Co workers very fun and helpful. The metroparks is a very great place to make some extra cash.
Great place to work. Was promoted after two months
Ohio (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 11, 2017
I truely enjoyed working for the company. There is room for advancement.
It was fast paced at times and multitasking was indeed. There was nothing hard about working here. Everyone is giving employees ample time and training to know what your job is...
Pros
Meeting new ppl, great place
Cons
Not all yr round
General Manger of Food and Beverage (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 4, 2017
Good place to work but Salary is too low. Great upper management, Holidays off! Sick Day's..Every day is not the same. Very busy in the summer must be flexible with Seasonal Employee's and think out side the box
Dream job
Naturalist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 5, 2017
I adore working for the CMP! I was only a seasonal, so the pay and benefits are not great, but I was basically an intern without the label and honestly I was amazed I got paid to the stuff I did in the first place! I got to work with animals, hike, teach kids about everything I love in nature, I got freedom to design and lead my own programs, and everyone was very helpful and kind. The seasonal position is a great foot in the door, and I know for a fact that their permanent employees get great benefits and pay, so it's a step in the right direction. My coworkers were amazing and knowledgeable, my boss was amazing, and my boss' boss was amazing. Over-all, a WONDERFUL place to work for!!
Pros
Awesome environment (outdoor and professional), great employees, rewarding work
Cons
Pay isn't good (for seasonals), nearly impossible to get a full-time job as a naturalist
fun public place
Chalet/Hayrides & Toboggan Chute Operator (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJuly 13, 2017
great place to learn and grow with and has many different opportunities such as people you meet and the connections that they can lead you to all while working in a place
Pros
private groups, events