Cliff Viessman

Cliff Viessman Employee Reviews

Most drivers want to know "how many miles per week will I get", "how much am I paid per mile", "is there a seniority list for dispatch loads", how much vacation time do I get", "when do I get paid". This company handles some of these questions differantly. Number of miles and pay per mile have no real value with this company. They pay the driver 25% of what they make from the product supplier. This averages out to $1.00 per loaded mile or $0.50 for all miles on an out and back run. Sometimes a couple of pennies more than that. You are a driver and an employee of the company. Unless your last name is Viessman or you have been with the company for 15 or more years the forward view will not change. I have been with this company a few years will finish out my career here. I rarely turn down a trip, I work with my dispatcher to help him cover loads and he in turn keeps me busy.
Pros
Steady work year around ( slows down a little from Christmas thru 2nd week of February)
Cons
Flat rate vacation pay. Not based on weekly average for whole year.
Owners only care about themselves, no care for employees or their families, unqualified shop management. Very poor pay. Stay away from this company.
Good retirement health care is not great. Little home time, long hours. No concern for you or your well being. To them you are only a number. Average pay, nothing to get excited about despite what they will tell you.
Pros
Cons
Many
Flexible home time see a lot of the Midwest management is ok, benefits could be better however they’re not that bad, typical trucking company benefits
Safety dept is a joke, forced dispatch, you have to log out in sleeper, while at the tank wash and loading that takes any where from 4 to 6 hours out of your sleeper time of 8 hrs. Weekend dispatch lies and are a bunch of drunks that yell and hang up on you, your force to lie on the elect. Log and pick-up's and del. Your not given the time on elect. Log to make them, forcing a driver into violations. Drivers well steal from each other, they well call in false activity on each other. Use of drugs all over the place.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
This is an excellent place to work. I was made to feel appreciated. The pay was more than adequate. The people I worked for were easily accessible should the need to communicate arise. This applies to everyone from my immediate supervisor to the CEO of the company. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a job in the trucking industry
If you are a female, good luck finding any type of respect at this job. Multiple times I was sexually harassed with NO help from management. Many times I complained about this to my manager and was eventually fired and told I was drama all because I wanted help to resolve the disrespect I was receiving. Unfairly fired.
Company drivers are not important to the company, pay is stagnant. Drivers are paid flat rate percentages, even though the job listing advertises an average of 60 cpm, it's difficult to hit that average. Speed regulated at 66 mph, you lose your safety bonus if you run over, even with flow of traffic.
Dispatch does not have no respect for drivers. Do not care about their driver. You are Expect to drive-in band whether. Dispatch favorite drivers. You do not know what the load Pays. Do not get pay for raises.
Pros
Home everyday
Cons
No respect for drivers.
I drove 11 years as a company driver and the last 9 as an owner operator. They aren't perfect but who really is. They have great people who do their best to work with you. I've always gotten home when I requested it. They've been there for me in emergencies as well. Like anything you get out what you put into it. I'd say if you gave CVI your all you would get a good return.
Pros
Good pay, family atmosphere
Cons
they suck they lied but home time they lied about pay they lied about staying in one truck they lied about fairness about equality between white workers and black workers
I really liked working here at first, it is very chill and laid back, but leaves a lot to be desired. The major reasons that I left was lack of hours, I would often get two or three days off a week, that I didn't ask for. I never had any idea what I was going to be doing two days from the present. I always had to ask for a day off if I wanted to see a friend, and that always messed up a trip. Like I'd leave to go to Park Rapids, but I needed to be home tomorrow, and they planned for me to pick up a load from the Wahpeton ND terminal going to Colorado, but I can't now, so I just get today off, when I return I have 8/11;14 hours, and im told to just go home. At first I liked all the time off, but my earnings didn't, and it was annoying to work so little. I also really hate Volvos, and my freightliner was nearing 500,000 miles, and I didn't want to drive a Volvo lol. Tanker is pretty fun though. Training is awful, and you will basically learn everything by making a bunch of mistakes along the way. Staff is really nice, and the other drivers are a bunch of old guys. Funny thing is that the terminals seem to act like a franchise, rather than a united company. I'd recommend this job to a new driver with limited experience, or an old driver that doesn't want to retire, but wants a somewhat part time job, who also wants a lot of unplanned hometime. I greatly enjoyed working here during the 2 years that I was there though, I just wanted to propel myself further up.
Pros
Lots time off, easy to request time off, good equipment (especially if you like new Volvos), Nice staff, nice coworkers, Family Owned and Operated.
Cons
Not very busy, Unplanned time off, below average industry pay average $900 a week before taxes, Volvos.
slow going on the work front work comes and goes, office people are nice to work for and are helpful, equipment is new and well cared for,lot of work closer to main headquarters, less out here
Pros
nice trucks and trailers, nice office peoplw
Cons
lack of support
Started a 4 every afternoon done by about 1 or 2 am. I worked nights. Management at Columbus terminal was exceptional. Relaxed work pace. Not to worried about a driver as long as he got loads delivers. Good stop at truck stops and get food or fuel easyly.
Pros
Unstressful
Cons
One 30 min break
I loved this job. Dedicated position, home every weekend, good money and I would go back to this job if the brothers who were running it were not there anymore at the Memphis terminal. I loved hauling a tanker. I had a nice strong truck.
Pros
Good job and good customers.
Cons
Too many Bee's
Dispatches boarder on force dispatch on loads. I have seen this company literally run drivers into the ground. I quit because of this.
had fun doing this job able to be outside during the nice weather. fun and cooperative co-workers. most enjoyable part was being able too work outside.
Pros
got to be outside on nice days while working
Cons
not a bad place to start your trucking career.There is plenty of loads to go around for each driver during busy season.Enjoyed my opportunity working here.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
delayed load and delivery times.
A typical day of work consist of loading tankers at Cargill and routing your delivery to your customer.
Pros
great pay
Cons
multiple shifts