CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Good learning environment
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 12, 2018
Interns are given real work that starting associates work on as well which is great for development. You are able to reach out for help when needed and some feedback is given. Great start for career development and you get to meet clients and understand more of their business structure. The people are very approachable and friendly, which are honestly the best part of the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Office Manager (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WI 54650September 11, 2018
I enjoyed getting to meet new people. In this business, tax season from January to April is quite stressful. On the other hand, you are never bored. Off season, it can be boring at times if you are not involved in projects, etc.
Honestly, would NOT recommend
Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 20, 2018
No flexibility, large amount of travel, unpleasant environment, no sick days or paid time off... pretty much the absolute opposite of how they market themselves as an employer. Being employed with them was a sincere disappointment.
Pros
As many hours you want, as long as you are salary
Cons
Toxic culture
Busy during tax season and slow during the summer
Customer Service Assistant / Administrative (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 16, 2018
Tax season is the hardest and most challenging.

I learned the differences between individual and business tax.

Most enjoyable was working with the CPA's.

The majority of CliftonLarsonAllen clients come from business rather than individual's.

Most of the employees at CLA have grown with the company and been employed for 10 plus years.
Pros
Life long experience
Cons
Internal structure changes often
Don't Bother With a Summer Internship
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 16, 2018
I've have all sorts of internships, but this was the first one where I was given projects that had almost nothing to do with accounting. You really don't need to go to school for accounting to get by at an internship here in the summer.

Don't bother applying if you have DACA or need sponsorship. They told me at the Summer Experience that they do not offer sponsorship at all, but the HR manager told me some of their applications were getting denied, so they wouldn't accept work authorization cards for employment verification even though the two aren't related at all.
Pros
paid to travel
Cons
too much downtime, meaningless projects
The hardest part of the job
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJuly 3, 2018
Due to the public accounting environment, the hardest part of this job was the balance between work/life. I spent many evenings and weekends meeting the needs of the business.
Pros
On the job training
Cons
Work/life balance
Stuck in their ways; not open to change
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 25, 2018
Lots of hours; management is not open to new ideas, not diverse.
The team environment is good but a specific partner needs diversity training, and does not value potentials
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Work hours; poor management style
Worst company I have ever worked for
Htybrid Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2018
They expected you to meet over 1800 billable budgeted hours and normally you had about 200+ a month during the busy season with additional 150 hours that was non billable. You worked a minimum of 12 hours at work Monday through Friday and additional 8 hours mandatory on Saturday and some Sundays. You were penalized if you were sick during busy season. They will not let you transfer to department you were strong at work at even though they promised it in the interview and training. They never properly trained any new hires and this comes from multiple individuals who say the same thing. If you manager doesn't like you they will not speak to you and ultimately make you quit or find any stupid reason to fire you, and they definitely do not like if you add any comment to a performance improving plan that quote specific advice a individual above you told you to do and then they write you up for doing exactly what they told you to do.
Poor management
Director (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 14, 2018
I would not recommend working at CLA. Poor management. They make promises they can't make good on. They do not provide support, and get rid of you when the work they promised does not pan out. They let you sink instead of working with you and make things work out.
Pros
Unlimited time off
Cons
Lack of support
Review
Manufacturing & Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 2, 2018
I world most likely be out at a clients location ranging from 1-3 weeks working with the accounting staff auditing their books and correcting errors. During busy season, which ranged from January to April 30th. Most of my industries clients needed audited financial statements to show the bank that there loan still had high odds of being fully paid off.
Pros
Unlimited PTO and one busy season (230 hour Monday-Saturday for 4 months)
Cons
We acquired to many smaller firms, which caused most of their staff leave, but we kept the work load, which we did not have the necessary staff, to handle the work load, In reality there were two busy seasons for most, the staff which limited your ability to use the, unlimited PTO.
Great place to work!
ACCOUNTING ASSOCIATE/INTERN (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAMarch 30, 2018
Tax season is a killer but it is in any CPA firm. CLA is a great place to work, great people, relaxed environment and when need be, heads down. The managers and supervisors are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Excellent Life Balance
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 20, 2018
Great people at CLA and many different career avenues. There are opportunities to relocate if you wish. The best thing about the benefits package at CliftonLarsonAllen is the fact that they offer several different health insurance options and all options are affordable and great.
CliftonLarsonAllen
Staff Accountant - Nonprofit Outsourcing (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 8, 2018
A typical day is going in and going out and having taught yourself how to get to where you are while doing a great job without anybody noticing your performance.
Great Place Great Culure
Consultant CFO (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 12, 2018
Great Place that is growing and great future. Management truly cares about team members and the work environment. It has a culture of learning! Training and staying current on emerging topics is paramount.
Pros
Many
Cons
smaller accounting firm but growing
Good workplace
Senior Proposal Writer (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 12, 2018
Good workplace, but they could give more credence to the admin staff. Employees and staff were extremely pleasant and camaraderie was one of the best I've worked with during my professional career.
Sleepy, slow, hiererarchical
Valuation Analyst / Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 1, 2018
Billable hours model means the only reward for productivity is more work - unwilling to promote and compensate in-line with responsibility and expectations.
Pros
Easy, low-pressure
Cons
Dull culture, management is more senior not necessarily more capable
Sink or Swim
Accounting Associate Intern (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILJanuary 9, 2018
I did not receive much help during my internship. The process for keeping track of billable hours was not well explained. I always felt that I was on my own when it came time to completing work, which was not explained well. I was not regularly provided with work, as seniors were not good about assigning work to me. Not a great environment unless you have plenty of experience in public accounting.
No belief in work life balance
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 3, 2018
Constantly criticized for putting family first and not being career first. Flexible schedule when able but not consistent. Pay was below market and governmental department was cutthroat.
You can learn a lot.
Director (Current Employee) –  ILJanuary 2, 2018
This only applies if you want to learn and want to reach out to find those avenues. There will be plenty of time working with clients of which are needed to understand a project, however all that time spent will not be allocated to your budget. This causes you to either feel the need to over bill a client, or eat the time yourself.
Pros
People
Cons
Budgets which cannot be met even if the math shows it possible.
cut-throat environment
General (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 21, 2017
Not a good experience at all. Extremely poor communication and a cut-throat environment. Poor management. Very offensive language used and over-indulgence in alcohol. I do not recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight