CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Competitive and stressful, but can be a fantastic place to build a career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAMarch 20, 2019
At CLA you work very long hours with little to no acknowledgement for personal and professional achievements. The mentality is very CLA focused with a huge emphasis on realization and profitability. If you put in the time and don't need a life outside of CLA, then you can make principal and have a fast and successful career.
would not make a career firm
Certified Public Accountant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 11, 2019
no work/balance, high employee turnover and constant stress. Had to deal with a lot of communication, managers were on different pages, no career advancement if you want - practically on your own. Favoritism is typical.
Pros
some flexibility with start hours
Cons
numerous
Efficient workplace
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2019
Everyone there is to help you succeed. Ability to work from home when needed. travel included on occasion. Nationwide firm. Top 10 in the country in terms of revenue for accounting firms.
Really enjoyed the culture
Senior Manager, Technology Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 15, 2019
I led a team responsible for the day to day IT support of 7 offices. the team traveled to the remote offices, met with staff regularly and had a finger on the pulse of daily activities. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Culture, Work / life balance
Cons
Position eliminated - sourced internal IT operations
Great place
Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2019
I loved everyone I worked with and the leadership. Everyone helped each other and were very supportive. The best consulting environment I've been in.
Productive workplace with a work hard play hard attitude
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 8, 2019
Love the company, super transparent with the firms operations. Young office plenty of opportunities for young associates to promote and take early leadership opportunities.
Pros
Young office with plenty of opportunities to lead for young employees
Cons
Large focus on governmental clients
Outstanding Place to Work
Operational Risk Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 6, 2019
Management style is an open-door concept. They have your best interest in terms of placement. Great company to work for and to represent. Highly recommend them.
Poor management
Service Processing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 1, 2019
Not a good place to work if you are admin. Other staff get unlimited overtime during tax season but admin are expected to keep up with the extra work without overtime unless it is preapproved. Oher staff were paid hourly same as me and they were not required to get preapproval. Requirement for admin only. Made me feel my work was not important.

My manager was highly unprofessional. Everyone knew, no one cared. Also, they ask for feedback but do not give it. It will be ignored or make your life difficult.

When I gave my two week notice I was told tomorrow will be your last day. After 12 years of employment I felt that was inappropriate.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Good Experience
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNDecember 20, 2018
My time at Larson Allen was spent during the tax season and I was still attending college at the time. My work schedule was flexed around my class schedule and worked very well. The experience was highly beneficial for my career.
Wait until you have a CPA license
Audit Associate - Higher Education (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CADecember 16, 2018
I worked at the Glendora location for about two months. The higher education team has issues and the partner is nearing retirement. I would wait a few years before applying here if you're serious. Needless to say, they don't really train you and feedback is little to none. The audit team has issues and are struggling to tread water. In short, the higher education audit team was a joke. The partner did most of the work and is paranoid. Go somewhere else if you're looking for a long-term CPA firm to work for.

Ask the interviewer if you can meet your audit team before accepting the job. Often, you have to work at a small table with a few other individuals for 10-12 hours a day. If you don't mesh well with your team, the job won't work. Also don't talk on your phone, it will kill it for you.
Pros
Pay, Food
Cons
Management, Training, Culture.
Great Company!
Senior (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PADecember 12, 2018
This is a great company to work with and the increased emphasis on creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is admirable. They also promote the ability to pave your own career path and change service lines if desired. CLA is focused on serving clients and the communities in which we work. The competitive benefits package, flexible PTO, and volunteer opportunities are a big plus.
Pros
Strong focus on the communities we serve; great benefits
Cons
Expectations around chargeable hours
Lots of celebrations
Employee Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 10, 2018
There are many happy hours to celebrate wins and milestones for staff and company. Company and employees donate to many charities. Very appearance driven.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Communication
Lack of communication
BizOps Controller (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 6, 2018
There is a major lack of communication across all departments of CLA. The top management pushes for certain things to be done and doesn't tell other departments they are pushing these agendas. Which then causes the disagreements and misdirection among staff.
Pros
Big Firm
Cons
Big Firm
No work life balance. Better off at Big 4 Firm.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2018
Ok Firm. Culture sounds like it will be great when you talk to executive team. Unfortunately the reality is not what they tell you during recruiting.

No work like balance whatsoever. Cut throat & competitive. Better off being at Big 4 Firm.
Pros
Nice managing partner
Cons
No work life balance. Cut throat.
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Century City, CANovember 25, 2018
All offices have different culture. Company overall tries to provide work/life balance, but it is hard in public accounting world. The hours are long.
Fun place to work, but little work/life balance.
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 16, 2018
CliftonLarsonAllen is a fun place to work, and they employ many young people (ages 20-30), but at busy times in the year, there is no work/life balance.
Productive and great work place with great co-workers
INTERNAL OPERATIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Othello, WANovember 12, 2018
I would answer phone, greet the clients that walked in. I would also prepare the tax returns to give to clients after the CPA's were done working on them. I would handle confidential information, make sure clients understood their return and knew what they were signing. I would take care of the CPA's meetings and schedule them, making sure they worked with their schedule. I would make lunch arrangements if the CPA's needed. I loved interacting with the clients each and every day. I loved what I did at CLA, the work pace was at a constant so I was always doing something interesting.
Pros
Work Parties
Cons
Angry clients
Good Public Accounting firm
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 10, 2018
Unlimited PTO. Friendly employees. A lot of learning opportunities and training.
A lot of small clients, therefore a lot of local travel (basically, you will spend in car/metro 2-3 hours per day in DC area).
Professional Organization
Biz Ops Assistant Controller (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WANovember 6, 2018
So much to learn from the learning Academy.
overwhelming technology for new hire
work environment less welcoming to new employees. everybody are wrap up meeting deadlines, less patience to learning curve if new hire. Too much office politics
Pros
Learning Academy
Cons
unwelcoming atmosphere to new
Company attempting to grow
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAOctober 17, 2018
A company that offers the job security that some may be seeking. Learning opportunities are present, however, as with other public accounting positions oversight, review, feedback, and assistance may be limited depending on the team you work with.

All of the staff members on my team were great but just too swamped with their own work to adequately train and assist lower level staff members.

The company has also had numerous mergers and acquisitions in the past several years which seems to have created some organizational instability/lack of clarity. Eventually once this process slows they may be able to smooth out the organizational hiccups I experience.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Growing pains of M&A process

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight