CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Lack of communication
BizOps Controller (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 6, 2018
There is a major lack of communication across all departments of CLA. The top management pushes for certain things to be done and doesn't tell other departments they are pushing these agendas. Which then causes the disagreements and misdirection among staff.
Pros
Big Firm
Cons
Big Firm
No work life balance. Better off at Big 4 Firm.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2018
Ok Firm. Culture sounds like it will be great when you talk to executive team. Unfortunately the reality is not what they tell you during recruiting.

No work like balance whatsoever. Cut throat & competitive. Better off being at Big 4 Firm.
Pros
Nice managing partner
Cons
No work life balance. Cut throat.
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Century City, CANovember 25, 2018
All offices have different culture. Company overall tries to provide work/life balance, but it is hard in public accounting world. The hours are long.
Fun place to work, but little work/life balance.
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 16, 2018
CliftonLarsonAllen is a fun place to work, and they employ many young people (ages 20-30), but at busy times in the year, there is no work/life balance.
Productive and great work place with great co-workers
INTERNAL OPERATIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Othello, WANovember 12, 2018
I would answer phone, greet the clients that walked in. I would also prepare the tax returns to give to clients after the CPA's were done working on them. I would handle confidential information, make sure clients understood their return and knew what they were signing. I would take care of the CPA's meetings and schedule them, making sure they worked with their schedule. I would make lunch arrangements if the CPA's needed. I loved interacting with the clients each and every day. I loved what I did at CLA, the work pace was at a constant so I was always doing something interesting.
Pros
Work Parties
Cons
Angry clients
Good Public Accounting firm
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 10, 2018
Unlimited PTO. Friendly employees. A lot of learning opportunities and training.
A lot of small clients, therefore a lot of local travel (basically, you will spend in car/metro 2-3 hours per day in DC area).
Professional Organization
Biz Ops Assistant Controller (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WANovember 6, 2018
So much to learn from the learning Academy.
overwhelming technology for new hire
work environment less welcoming to new employees. everybody are wrap up meeting deadlines, less patience to learning curve if new hire. Too much office politics
Pros
Learning Academy
Cons
unwelcoming atmosphere to new
Company attempting to grow
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAOctober 17, 2018
A company that offers the job security that some may be seeking. Learning opportunities are present, however, as with other public accounting positions oversight, review, feedback, and assistance may be limited depending on the team you work with.

All of the staff members on my team were great but just too swamped with their own work to adequately train and assist lower level staff members.

The company has also had numerous mergers and acquisitions in the past several years which seems to have created some organizational instability/lack of clarity. Eventually once this process slows they may be able to smooth out the organizational hiccups I experience.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Growing pains of M&A process
Great job culture and great team mindset.
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 3, 2018
The most enjoyable part is the people you work with, and the team aspect everyone has; you're all in this together. There is quite a bit of travel, which is enjoyable if you're okay with it. If you don't like to travel, they will make accommodations for you, and make sure your jobs are within your area.
Pros
Lots of traveling, if you enjoy it. Flexible hours, and ability to work from home
Cons
Busy season gets tough sometimes, but there's a team mindset that helps you get through it.
Fun but high stress
Internal Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 2, 2018
A typical day is spent on my feet much of the day, data entry, basically I assist all departments when needed

I have learned so much about the tax industry while assisting the tax processing dept and I discovered that I really enjoy it

Work place culture is high stress during tax season and some days too quiet during off season

The hardest part of my job is being on my feet too much

The most enjoyable is the people
Pros
Decent wages and benefits
Cons
Too stressful
Good learning environment
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 12, 2018
Interns are given real work that starting associates work on as well which is great for development. You are able to reach out for help when needed and some feedback is given. Great start for career development and you get to meet clients and understand more of their business structure. The people are very approachable and friendly, which are honestly the best part of the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Office Manager (CSA) (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WI 54650September 11, 2018
I enjoyed getting to meet new people. In this business, tax season from January to April is quite stressful. On the other hand, you are never bored. Off season, it can be boring at times if you are not involved in projects, etc.
Honestly, would NOT recommend
Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 20, 2018
No flexibility, large amount of travel, unpleasant environment, no sick days or paid time off... pretty much the absolute opposite of how they market themselves as an employer. Being employed with them was a sincere disappointment.
Pros
As many hours you want, as long as you are salary
Cons
Toxic culture
Busy during tax season and slow during the summer
Customer Service Assistant / Administrative (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 16, 2018
Tax season is the hardest and most challenging.

I learned the differences between individual and business tax.

Most enjoyable was working with the CPA's.

The majority of CliftonLarsonAllen clients come from business rather than individual's.

Most of the employees at CLA have grown with the company and been employed for 10 plus years.
Pros
Life long experience
Cons
Internal structure changes often
Don't Bother With a Summer Internship
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 16, 2018
I've have all sorts of internships, but this was the first one where I was given projects that had almost nothing to do with accounting. You really don't need to go to school for accounting to get by at an internship here in the summer.

Don't bother applying if you have DACA or need sponsorship. They told me at the Summer Experience that they do not offer sponsorship at all, but the HR manager told me some of their applications were getting denied, so they wouldn't accept work authorization cards for employment verification even though the two aren't related at all.
Pros
paid to travel
Cons
too much downtime, meaningless projects
The hardest part of the job
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJuly 3, 2018
Due to the public accounting environment, the hardest part of this job was the balance between work/life. I spent many evenings and weekends meeting the needs of the business.
Pros
On the job training
Cons
Work/life balance
Billable hours
Senior, Outsourcing (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAMay 24, 2018
Very strict on billable hours budget. Work/life balance was very good as they allowed me to work a 4/10 workweek. Local office did very little managing as they are part of a regional team.
Opportunity to learn but still a CPA firm
AUDIT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COMay 2, 2018
The culture was slightly misrepresented during the hiring process and expectations were unclear during the time of employment with the firm. It's still a CPA firm.
Stuck in their ways; not open to change
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 25, 2018
Lots of hours; management is not open to new ideas, not diverse.
The team environment is good but a specific partner needs diversity training, and does not value potentials
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Work hours; poor management style
Worst company I have ever worked for
Htybrid Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2018
They expected you to meet over 1800 billable budgeted hours and normally you had about 200+ a month during the busy season with additional 150 hours that was non billable. You worked a minimum of 12 hours at work Monday through Friday and additional 8 hours mandatory on Saturday and some Sundays. You were penalized if you were sick during busy season. They will not let you transfer to department you were strong at work at even though they promised it in the interview and training. They never properly trained any new hires and this comes from multiple individuals who say the same thing. If you manager doesn't like you they will not speak to you and ultimately make you quit or find any stupid reason to fire you, and they definitely do not like if you add any comment to a performance improving plan that quote specific advice a individual above you told you to do and then they write you up for doing exactly what they told you to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight