CliqStudios.com Employee Reviews

Management Favoritism -
Designer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNNovember 1, 2018
Cliq has been going through non stop change since Tom Tiller stepped down abruptly last summer/fall after less than a year. We thought things would turn around when a new COO was hired last December but, shockingly announced her departure a few weeks back.

Current management is wearing multiple hats. The head of sales is also our head of HR and the CFO is also running marketing. Mostly male management. If you are one of their "favorites" you may have access to some extra perks.

There is some good though, working as a designer at Cliq is much better than working at a big box store, like Home Depot. You have your own workspace and get to focus on designing. Co-workers are amazeballs, some of the nicest people you'll ever work with.

You have a pretty big sales goal you're expected to hit each month which is not always realistic and can be very stressful at times. Especially in the Fall. Leads come to you but it's pretty much the luck of the draw and you are in a rotation with about 50 other designers. Not much room for advancement.

Pay is a base of 30k plus commission. To make real money you have to be willing to be aggressive with your sales tactics.

It's not a bad job, pays the bills. On occasion management asks employees to submit reviews to try to bring their rating up. So, keep that in mind when reading all abour the awesomeness.
Pros
Co-workers, Personal Workspace, Monthly Birthday Celebrations, Decent Health Insurance, Nice Office Space
Cons
Not Much Room for Advancement, Pay, No Maturnity Leave, Internal Communications
Toxic Environment + Sadly Comical Leadership
Kitchen Designer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 20, 2018
Where do I start? I can't say anything good about this company and the bad things are nearly endless. The compensation structure is a joke. The "warm" or "inside" leads are 90% junk. The senior management is constantly changing and everyone seems to be realigned under a new person every 6 months. They always keep asking for more, more, more, but never give you more to work with. Our computers are outdated and slow. There is no way this place will still be around in another year. Run away!!
Pros
Nice and friendly coworkers. Good attitudes!
Cons
Management, Compensation, Everything Else
Official response from CliqStudios.com
July 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review CliqStudios. We have over 100 designers on the team, lots of whom found at CliqStudios what they weren’t able to find elsewhere: some flexibility with their work schedule, the ability to focus on their designs and to manage projects independently. All that while benefiting from a team of skilled designers they could rely upon and learn from. That being said, our work environment isn’t for everyone. If you’re looking for a routine job with little to no changes, this might not be the place for you. We’re still in our early phases and we frequently need to adapt to our growth while preparing for the future. As a part of this exercise, we frequently fine tune our marketing engine to find new customer leads while improving their overall quality. The quality of the leads we receive can at times be lower than usual, but you might have been in the wrong job if 90% of the leads you received didn’t pan out. Even with our initial company training, it takes our Designers months of work as well as some solid sales and customer service skills to successfully manage their book of business. We believe our compensation structure is competitive: Designers receive a base salary, commission on their sales and can also earn spiffs. That being said, as it goes for most sales positions, you’ll find the compensation lower than expected if you aren’t selling your projects and receiving commission.

fun environment , easily made friends
Tier 3 Customer service & designer (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJune 16, 2018
days were 7-6 pm Monday - Friday w/ 1 Saturday every other month

designers were split into groups with mentors to help you grow

weekly meetings occasionally would run too long

sales were done online through email, chatting, or phone

you set your pace but have to meet goals
Pros
mentoring, great support from other designers
Cons
if you aren't self motivated or don't like directions its not for you
Stifling micromanaging management
Designer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 23, 2018
The bad: Leadership has been lacking in key positions for some time. Trust and empowerment have been replaced with micromanagement for even basic tasks. Workloads are unfairly distributed and only some people are held accountable for meeting performance goals. Very siloed environment. Changes happen without much consideration of how it will impact other areas of the business. While there is no company-wide work from home policy some departments are allowed to do so. The organization is flat so movement is non existent.
The good: Insurance benefits are decent. 15 days of PTO. A discount on product. You can feel good about what you're selling. It really is a good value to the homeowner and it makes you feel good when customers love the work you did. Co-workers are friendly. Very fast-paced growing company.
Pros
Co-workers, product discount, product you can feel good about selling
Cons
Yearly bumps don't match cost of living
Official response from CliqStudios.com
July 23, 2018

Sorry to hear you have to deal with micromanagement. This is never pleasant and it isn’t a management style supported by the organization. We strongly believe that empowering our employees is much more beneficial. Especially in a work environment filled with many talented, creative and independent individuals. While our designers have the freedom to manage their book of business independently, they have specific goals to meet each month and should be held accountable for these.

We are aware that some our departments have a silo mentality and it is something our leadership has been working on correcting. Some Kaizen events recently took place, allowing different teams to share their best practices and challenges. As we keep on adding technology to facilitate our operations, we’ll be able to bridge the gap even further. Same goes for the work from home option: Although it isn’t available to all at this time, we are currently testing it with a few tenured designers and we’re hopeful we’ll be able to extend this option to additional employees in the future. We hope you’ll stick around to enjoy these ongoing improvements.

Constantly growing workload, too few people to handle it
Finance (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 28, 2017
If you like being one person carrying the workload of 3, this is the place for you. Constant increasing expectations with inadequate training. Work hard to work harder.
Pros
Cons
Overwhelming workload that leaves you never feeling accomplished
The company evolves faster than it can handle
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 20, 2017
Job descriptions change monthly. Great work life balance with very flexible scheduling. Great benefits! Base pay could be much better and the bonus structure is not really much incentive. They preach advancement opportunities but most of the positions they create have really high qualifications and or 5+ years experience in that field which doesn't allow anyone to advance. Management could use some improvement, overall it is a good company to work for and I would recommend it if you are looking for an entry level job, gaining skills and experience with a company that is growing and evolving.
You will work hard for very little
Kitchen Designer (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNNovember 5, 2015
Culture is work hard so you can work harder. No appreciation. Management is not supportive at all. Pay is very low for the extremely heavy workload.
Pros
Flexible schedule and casual dress code
Cons
Extremely heavy workload. You will burn yourself out. Management issues beyond description.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliqStudios.com. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight