Closets by Design Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 6, 2018
I enjoyed working here. The staff was very friendly and it has a very welcoming environment. In my opinion, the aurora location is the better of the two Illinois locations.
Good Supplemental Income
Design/Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ashland, VAJuly 30, 2018
Designer/Sales position is good for supplemental income if you have another part time job. Can be good if you have kids in school during the day. You can spend three hours on a design appointment in the morning and be home in time to meet kids. 100% commission, so when you don't close a sale it feels like a waste of time. However, when you close a sale it's great because maybe you earned $200--$600 commission for two or three hours of work. You need good visual spacial skills and be comfortable with measuring and basic math. You determine your availability and they schedule appointments within those times. You meet all kinds of people and get to see inside of all kinds of homes.
Wonderful people to be around, poor management skills
Employee (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 13, 2018
This company is hands down one of the greatest to work at. However, the management is lacking knowledge of how to train their employees for any advancements. They do not utilize peoples strengths nor assist the employees downfall to turn them into strengths.
Pros
lunch breaks, wonderful environment, supportive and understanding owners
Cons
management
Good learning experience
Designer/In-house consultant (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAJuly 5, 2018
I liked working for them. I was frustrated when they would take away my leads because my sales percentage would go down. How am I supposed to bring it back up if I don't have anyone to sell to. I got punished for failing rather than be given the opportunity to improve. Even when I asked for more leads the following month. Ex. I asked for at least 15 leads for the month....I got 2. I decided to leave because I couldn't see myself moving up in the company. It's commission based. No hourly base which is hard. You have to be willing to work really hard and travel far to get the money. If you don't sell you don't get paid. When you sell, you're basically fighting for your paycheck. They hire way to many people. After I left they hired 5 more people. Your commission is 10%. I was told by an employee it's gone down because they have so many designers now. When I got there there was 22 and she told me there is now 30. If you're willing to take the risk go for it but I would not go back.
great place to work
Closet Builder Assistant, Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 18, 2018
i was hired right out of high school. the training was great and my immediate manager was wonderful. at the time they paid above minimum wage and it was great.
Very Good
Lead Designer/Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILJune 9, 2018
I really loved my job and enjoyed the people I worked with. It felt like a family to me. It is not for everyone, but if you work hard and learn what they teach you will have a good shot at making decent money.
Drama, but fairly relaxed
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAJune 5, 2018
Work is fairly quick paced if you can deal with drama between certain employees you'll get along just fine. There's an open gym in the same building. Your job description may not end up being all you do though, as I ended up doing much more work than I expected, but it was all in favor of keeping things running smoothly.
Great job for certain people
DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJune 1, 2018
Good job if you need a flex schedule.
I learned something in design that I didn't previously have training for. The owner of this franchise is exceptional in many ways, totally focused on the business and its growth.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping to make a difference in peoples everyday lives with better organization and adding an asset to their home.
The culture at this franchise is good and supportive by and large.
Pros
flexible schedule, decent benefits, great product
Cons
too much travel and mileage on your car. Straight commission can be stressful.
It was not a bad place to work at it had his ups and downs
Machine operator and shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAMay 18, 2018
I was one of the first employees that were hired by the owner. I work very hard to help him build company up and some of the promises that was made initially was not kept. All in all me and the owners had a good relationship and I appreciate working there.
Pros
I was able to drive company truck home and back to work .
Cons
The promises that were made to me by owners were not kept
Great Company
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WAApril 21, 2018
This is a great company to work for thereis lots of work to do and management is amazing. The owner is one of the easiest guy to talk to, I love the family owned aspect of this company.

Want to know more about Closets by Design?

Ask a question
Can be fun and can be stressful. Locally owned franchise.
Designer/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 6, 2018
I found that the leads were at times not qualified and yet had to go out on to determine that. Competitive market with some of the same products, just price and designs played a great part in the closing of a sale. Training was provided initially to get the basics of the design and products concepts. Though continued training and regular meeting were requested by the designers, the manager/owner was not very receptive to our needs. Straight commission on sales with bonuses at discretion of manager. Sliding scale on the commission payouts, also at the discretion of the manager. Home based office as local office was for dropping off of contracts and picking up of supplies as well as the shop. Gas and travel costs were not reimbursed. Met many very nice people, and many closets and garages that were challenging. Would have been less stressful had there been continued training to address the many different situations that required more knowledge of how to design with the materials and constraints of the building options. Never felt completely up to speed to address the many design obstacles presented and manager did not have time to help in many instances.
Pros
Great if you have an imaginative designing mind and like meeting people, work independent from home.
Cons
Not enough training and support, Commission percentage was many times at the discretion of the owner, No benefits or reimbursement for travel costs.
Productive and fun place to work
Office Manager/IT Support (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 27, 2018
Fast-paced work environment with a lot of new challenges every day. Great company structure with a lot of support from the main franchise office and great people.
Pros
great atmosphere and free lunch every now and then
Cons
no healthcare
Closets By Design is the Place to Be
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 21, 2018
Closets By design makes sure customers are helped to fullest extent and that they are 100% happy with their services provided by the company and management is great they help even on the hardest of orders
Not a 9-5 person?
Designer/Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 14, 2018
Work on Commission based sales
Get paid every 45 days once deal is Closed
No Benefits
Can make really good if you are consistent with your effort. if you miss a week or two like anywhere else you need to play catch-up.
Word-of-mouth business
Pros
Receive discount
Good Christian people to work for
Cabinet and closet installer (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg South CarolinaMarch 10, 2018
It's a good job for someone who is strong and willing to work to make some good money most of the time you work Monday through Friday pay is good people are good you have great customers work for work from the area of Columbia South Carolina all the way to Asheville North Carolina
Pros
Have a great opportunity to make some good money
Cons
You can learn how to build closets and cabinets
Ok place to work if you dont mind spending time away from your family
Installer (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAFebruary 26, 2018
Clock into work
make sure the job is all there and correct ( normally isnt )
try to track someone down to get everything fixed
load everything in van
double check you have everything
go to job site and begin work

find out the job drawing is wrong on site because designer messed up
make phone call to management to let them know (if they answer, they are always busy)
figure out a solution to the problem and fix it or wait hour(s) for new stuff
finish the job

go to second job if you have one and repeat

on the installer side of the work place they are a great group of people to work with and always sharing their ideas and how they problem solved a situation.

hardest part of the job would be the long hours and labor but you get used to it.

most enjoyable part of the job honestly would be clocking out and going home knowing you made a customer happy with a great product (most the time)
Pros
Christmas party, ok benefits
Cons
lack of appreciation
Flexible schedule with great management & co workers
Sales/Design (Current Employee) –  Sunbury, OHFebruary 10, 2018
A great company to work for if a flexible schedule is desired. Very friendly management and co workers. Dealing with difficult customers is probably the hardest part of this job, but making customers happy is probably the most rewarding part.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits
Fast pace fun environment
Other (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAJanuary 18, 2018
I love my job-- The team I work with is extremely collaborative. I've been here for several years and continue to find new and challenging roles that really fit with my goals. I have had opportunities here that I would not have had elsewhere and it's been amazing. This company absolutely truly stands behind what it does and they will always do what they need to to make the customer happy. There are stressful times because we are dealing with a high end luxury product that is custom built for each client-- so there are a lot of moving parts. That is one of the things I love about it. I am never bored. I may prefer to stay under a warm blanket on a cold day but I never dread coming to work. We have a relaxed environment that is a lot of fun and helps to keep the perspective while maintaining the drive. I'm a very competitive person so I love that we are constantly training, looking for ways to improve, and never walk away from an opportunity to learn.
learned a lot about designing space and about the product
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28273January 18, 2018
I loved the customer contact and helping people resolve their organization challenges. I loved utilizing my customer service, design and communication skills to bring about great results and happy and repeat customers. The flexible scheduling was beneficial and created balance in my home life. I immensely enjoy meeting new people and seeing their spaces requiring organization. Loved the challenge and helping make a plan come together. The hardest part was dealing with inequitable access to quality leads and the quantity of leads provided to me was lacking in a big way. Also the lack of benefits was very disappointing. Most of my co-workers were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Great training, flexible schedule, new leads were provided
Cons
no benefits offered, inequitable access to quality leads, nepotism/favoritism was a huge problem
penny pinching,
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJanuary 9, 2018
as you start working at $11 or $11.25

you quickly find out there is a problem with the employees & management relationship. that is, you are paid nothing to do a lot.

because the company values hiring low paid workers, the quality of actual reliable individuals is scares. the competent employees working there are quality workers, but quick to leave for better opportunities, which leaves more work for the team for minimum wage.
Pros
the toilets sometimes work great.
Cons
working poor wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Closets by Design. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight