CNO Financial Group Employee Reviews

nothing good to say
Agent Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 6, 2018
CNO hides behind a mantra that they are a great place to work and they take care of their staff,customers, etc. They don't. Not much has changed since they were Conseco, except the name. They are crooked and they look at you as a body in a seat. Managers are fired all the time for fudging numbers, and if you are miserable in your position you have to wait a year to transfer. People that dont fit in the environment there are quickly fired or forced to quit. Do not work here
Pros
volunteerism
Cons
poor management
Dysfunctional IT Group
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 26, 2018
I was onboard when the entire IT department was outsourced. CNO management thought the outsourcer was experienced at this and had mature processes. They didn't. Many days were spent in limbo while processes were created and projects crawled along.
Fake fun place to work !
TELESALES AGENT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 20, 2018
CNO was a pretty decent place to work for the first 2 years that I was employed there. With changes in upper management and strenuous sales goals, the job became very stressful. The management is only concerned about you hitting a monthly sales goals. They were rewarded more when agents hit or exceeded monthly goals, more than the actual agent, while not having to make one single phone sale! The best thing was being "rewarded" pizza or a $20 lunch allowance here and there.
Pros
They will feed you pizza every month
Cons
Lack of consistency amongst in house teams and managers
Nice Company to work with
IT Project Leader / Integration Architect (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 16, 2018
Real Company with real business. Has good support group.

Company has invested well in IT infrastructure. Open to discussions with improving IT infrastructure. Company was open to analyze the existing infrastructure and was willing to experiment with implementing CRM product and gained benefits.

Work-Life Balance was good. When I joined the company my daughter was just 6 months. I needed to spend some time with my daughter, family. Company provided time to balance office, family life. Company provided a nice Lenovo Thinkpad laptop which was robust and a nice laptop. My daughter enjoyed working on the laptop.
Pros
Stability, Culture
Cons
Job could have been more long term
Work family balance
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 9, 2018
The company takes pride in employee excellence and works very hard to make sure each employee has a balance of work family life. The management work hard at making sure all employees have proper training and skills that are needed to complete the jobs.
CNO Financial
Senior Lead Source Code Management Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 8, 2018
I worked for CNO financial for 16 years and I loved the people that I worked with and for. I learned how to be a leader and how to take on new challenges in technology. The hardest part of the job was coordinating efforts with off-shore contacts. There was a 10 1/2 hour delay in time. The most enjoyable part were the people that I worked with.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Outsourced almost all of IT
Cno
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 30, 2018
CNO was a good place to work with some really good department heads and others who had opportunity to improve. The work life balance was acceptable and the hardest part about the job was our ability to inflict change in some of the deep rooted areas.
Pros
Work life balance and profit sharing
Cons
Some management needed lots of coaching
Very Stressful
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 14, 2018
Management will run you to death and expect more out of you, reviews are biased if the manager likes you. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here at all
Pros
Cons
horrible management
Infrastructure has a toxic culture
Messaging Technical Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 14, 2018
This review is for Infrastructure only and should not be reflective of the rest of the company. Employee's where threatened and bulled by management to make promised delivery of projects before they where fully defined. Feed back is always negative, and that it is not being delivered fast enough, while working with incomplete deliverable while delivering the project.
Pros
Good Comapny, great people
Cons
Micromangement, no communication, no vision conveyed
Work hard, have fun!
Director Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 27, 2018
Good company, compensation is more than fair for management positions.Pay for hourly roles, and IT roles are not as competitive.Health insurance benefits are not competitive with other similar companies in the industry.
Pros
Competitive pay for managers
Cons
Professional women struggle to have a voice or advancement.
Segregated
Supervisor, Consumer Relations LTC (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2018
The environment there is very segregated and siloed. For the most part all the associates are nice and pleasant to work with. The management team is not as pleasant and forthcoming when problems or concerns arise on an employee level nor a corporate level.
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Swansea, ILAugust 21, 2018
I enjoyed working with this company, immediate management was incredible only negative was having to do all my BOA duties and be responsible for recruiting 90 new recruits per week.
Pros
my own office
Cons
recruiting
Good work culture
Associate (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 6, 2018
Good work culture. Decent benefits.
Uncompetitive salary.
Indifferent about management
More for less mentality. Work harder, more hours and don't expect much
Insurance Culture
Contestable Examiner (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 30, 2018
Overall, I had a fair experience with CNO. It might have been the right fit for me eventually. When I left, like many organizations, they were struggling with workplace culture. You could tell that they wanted to have a positive workplace culture, but did not always provide the systemic support and leadership between the visionaries and the employees. Leadership was great, but their message did not always coincide with the actual objectives of what was needed to be done on an operations standpoint. It is a balance that is never met with insurance. It is near impossible to provide both quality to customers and productivity to address the needs of all the customers. The unintended effect being, "do more with less."
out of touch with employees
Customer Service and Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 28, 2018
The ideas the company talks about are great, but the execution is very lacking. They talk about advancement and creating a culture of learning and growing but can never keep enough staff so that you can take advantage of those things.
Fun and interesting office to work with
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 26, 2018
I worked within the Legal Department as a Legal Assistant; created database for identifying issues with Insurance Brokers, etc.; very friendly and professional environment
Stressful run
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2018
I've never had a job like this in my life. I dread waking up. I dread going to sleep because I know I have to wakeup and do it all over again. The morale is low. Co-workers don't show up. Customers treat you like less than trash. It's a terrible job no way around it. If you are called by this company for any customer support roles it is better not to pick up the phone.
Cons
Short breaks chained like animals treated as trash
Work life balance lacking but allows for moving up
Manager of Operations Delivery and Documentation (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 7, 2018
CNO is a results driven culture focused on sales, agents, and customers. The staff can sometimes suffer from this mindset as the there is an unbalanced approach to work and life.

I have been able to make career advancements but have worked very hard in order to accomplish these steps.
Decent workplace, but not growing much
Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 1, 2018
Low stress workplace that runs by deadlines. Not much interaction outside of discussing projects with managers. No major complaints about the job, but there wasn't much room for improvement.
Pros
Low stress, flexible hours
Cons
Minimal growth
Call Center
Policyholder Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 24, 2018
Worked in the call center. Systems were out of date. No real potential to advance on the near horizon

Call center hours aren't the best in general.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CNO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight