CNO Financial Group Employee Reviews

Very Stressful
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 14, 2018
Management will run you to death and expect more out of you, reviews are biased if the manager likes you. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here at all
Pros
Cons
horrible management
Good work culture
Associate (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 6, 2018
Good work culture. Decent benefits.
Uncompetitive salary.
Indifferent about management
More for less mentality. Work harder, more hours and don't expect much
Stressful run
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2018
I've never had a job like this in my life. I dread waking up. I dread going to sleep because I know I have to wakeup and do it all over again. The morale is low. Co-workers don't show up. Customers treat you like less than trash. It's a terrible job no way around it. If you are called by this company for any customer support roles it is better not to pick up the phone.
Cons
Short breaks chained like animals treated as trash
Work life balance lacking but allows for moving up
Manager of Operations Delivery and Documentation (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 7, 2018
CNO is a results driven culture focused on sales, agents, and customers. The staff can sometimes suffer from this mindset as the there is an unbalanced approach to work and life.

I have been able to make career advancements but have worked very hard in order to accomplish these steps.
Decent workplace, but not growing much
Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 1, 2018
Low stress workplace that runs by deadlines. Not much interaction outside of discussing projects with managers. No major complaints about the job, but there wasn't much room for improvement.
Pros
Low stress, flexible hours
Cons
Minimal growth
Call Center
Policyholder Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 24, 2018
Worked in the call center. Systems were out of date. No real potential to advance on the near horizon

Call center hours aren't the best in general.
IT organization has been destroyed at CNO Financail
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2018
IT Management is not able to support business priorities due to internal inefficiencies and poor employee moral. Micro-management by IT leadership has eliminated all the SMEs who can bring a change in the organization

HR is ineffective in changing IT management culture.

Collectively, the company has not increased total customer base despite opportunities to tap into the large number of retires in US.
Cons
Big talk and no action
Fast paced & all about numbers
Senior Health Agent Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INApril 10, 2018
If you are looking for a place to work that is fast paced in a call center setting & your numbers are all that matters, this would be a great place to work.
Challenging work, some challenges with personnel
actuary (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 24, 2018
For the majority of my career there, things were good to great. The end of my time there was frustrating and difficult with some conflicts and lack of support
Pros
collaborative
Cons
some personality clashes and management disarray
Not a true Sales job
Telesales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 15, 2018
This is not a true Sales job. The environment is micro-managed by the supervisors. There is no commission incentive for the first 90 days. Once you become incentive eligible the structure is not enough to support a family. As a sales person you're expected to live off the base pay of $15.10/ hr or to work excessive hours of overtime.

The attendance policy is a joke. The company gives good PTO and vacation time, however you're made to feel bad about taking days off. Once you've run out of PTO or vacation time, you're put on a performance plan which then makes you NOT incentive eligible. Even if you have PTO time and get sick and need to leave for the remainder of the day, you're penalized or threatened a performance plan.

The environment is so micro-managed that management watches the production and tell you if you went over break by 1 or 2 minutes that you're stealing company time! Even if you have an authorized reason. This creates a stressful environment. The morale was extremely low. You're penalized for not wanting to participate in team lunches.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, On site gym, health clinic on site
Cons
Penalized for taking time off, micro-managed, not incentive eligible for 90 days
Great workplace/environment w/fantastic benefits, however..
Claims Adjuster II (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 2, 2018
As with a majority of mostly great things there are almost always things that fall through the cracks somewhere. CNO is a fantastic place to work, especially if you're a hard worker. I have, however, noticed that some of the MGMT within the company can base their hiring decisions on things that are less than admirable. Things like who their favorite so and so is instead of who would best match the role up for grabs. And the hard workers can become favorites, however, that's not a safe space either necessarily. Some MGMT thinks it's acceptable to overload certain employees with responsibilities that should not fall on them. (Things that people 1-2 positions ahead of their current position are capable of doing and should be doing but either are not or cannot complete due to their own over-packed workloads).I would recommend CNO to people who are up for the challenge of possibly being asked to do things that are well above even the 'above and beyond' some employees expect to give to their employers already.
Pros
Benefits, pay, people (everyone is friendly), company that cares, etc.
Cons
listed in description above
Fast based challenging environment
Director + Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 20, 2018
I enjoyed the demand for multitasking, changing priorities, and challenging opportunities. I value this experience the most even though it proved to be the most challenging.

I enjoyed the challenges provided to me. I learned an enormous amount about the interrelationships between accounting/finance and the system applications that are utilized to support them.

I did not enjoy the inconsistency in the upper level management approach. It was very volatile. There was a lot of change in terms of position.

In terms of workplace culture, I did like the opportunities provided to me without being micro-managed.

I also like the business casual dress environment.
Stand clear
New Business Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 19, 2018
Coming into this job I thought it was going to be a good atmosphere being as though it was a corporate environment but, I was completely wrong. Management is too busy trying to make friends instead of running a department effectively, when upper management comes around they pretend like the department is running smoothly although it’s in an uproar, too many hands in one pot, they talk at you instead of to you, it’s like high school.

Compensation is not competitive with other companies in the same position. Bonuses are barely given unless you are in sales. My department was “the forgotten department”, recognition for your hard work is rare.
Cons
Pay, Poor Management, No room for growth, Recognition is rare
Do not work in the call center
Agent Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 11, 2018
This was a new industry for me, was already nervous about the change. Training sub par overall and too rushed. If they spent more time, money, etc on quality training, the turnover rate wouldn't be through the roof. Highly stressful position. Benefits offered are fantastic , however, working in the call center dealing with agents in particular over the phone all day mostly angry about something, being rude and disrespectful, using foul language, belittling, are just not worth it overall. I can't speak for other departments but the call center is definitely not where you want to work.
Pros
1 hour lunch, unless short staffed, company benefits, Monday through Friday, paid holidays
Cons
training, long hours in negative environment, upper management not really approachable, gossipy environmen
Nice Company to work for
Telesales Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 1, 2018
I enjoyed working at CNO because the company is great I just personally did not like my job. I wish you did not have to wait a year to transfer departmetns. Also my supervisor is great
Terrible management no job security
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 28, 2018
Reorganizations every year and job cuts. No job security especially in IT. Managers will lie and do shady things to keep from paying severance. Employees are miserable and it's an awful environment.
Pros
Cons
Micro management, unfair
Great
Claims Auditor (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJanuary 25, 2018
Great Company. Good place to start your career.

They have a reasonable work/life balance. Several areas allow you to work at home at times. This works well for parents.
Worked to the bone in the call center
Escalations Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 19, 2017
I worked in the call center for 3+ years and it was a roller coaster from the beginning. They're always short staffed which causes extreme amounts of stress on those who do work there.
Steer Clear
Contact Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 24, 2017
I work in the contact center and hate it! Adherence is unattainable, unrealistic, and too strict. Management is a joke and so fake, pretending to care but really don't. Way too number driven and look at their employees as replaceable rather than valued. They couldn't care less about you being stressed so long as you do your job. They're all over the place with hardly any organization and the rules change day to day so be careful. I wouldn't suggest this place to my worst enemy.
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks to get away from that sweat shop
Cons
Management and lack of efficient training
One of the best places to work!
Policy Holder Services Rep (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 10, 2017
I am a current employee at CNO Financial and absolutely love my job! You are looked at as an individual and not just a number that they use to get results. Every person in management truly cares about you and their goal is to help you succeed. Even the managers that are higher up want to know who you are and care. I have never worked for a company where the VP walks around on a regular basis just to say hi to everyone. They are very flexible and do their best to accommodate anything that you need. I have been here well over a year and have never had an issue that someone in management hasn’t been able to help me resolve. They pay and hours are great to accommodate almost any schedule. I wish every place that I have worked for was like CNO!
Pros
Pay, coworkers, management, training, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CNO Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight