Coastal Learning Center

United States17 reviews

Coastal Learning Center insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Overall satisfaction

The Staff is friendly,but the kids are challenging.

I enjoyed working at Coastal learning center because I like the staff there and got paid fairly. The students are very challenging! Stressful environment ! Good benefits!

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Stressful experience

Rewarding and Difficult

Working at Coastal has been quite the interesting experience. No two days are the same and the staff really get a long which makes it a supportive environment. My teacher that I worked with really helped me to understand the atmosphere and how to work with students which made me want to work harder to assist the students. Administration is hepful as well and will work with you to make sure that you are doing your best with your students. Overall I reallly enjoyed my time at Coastal.

Pros

Benefits, Staff, Different

Coastal Learning Center Howell Is a great place to work!

I began working at Coastal about two years ago and immediately grew to love the campus and the staff. The students are difficult to handle but with the team support from the staff it makes for a great place to be.

A typical day at work

This facility is no longer open. The administrator there at the time was great, but it was more of a behavior management sort of thing versus education.

Pros

Faculty

Cons

Salary

security and teachers aide

Prolific and a enjoyable

A typical day at work: That’s an interesting question. I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. I develop new skills such as communication and I learn how to work with others. I wasn't always a team type of player , but now I am. The hardest part of the job was doing other people jobs. some people came late and some people didn't show up. When have to do all the work by yourself that could sometimes be frustrating. The most enjoyable part of the job was be able to meet new people and work with them. When you have a team and everybody is on the same page , working can be so much fun. You'll have more good days then bad.

Pros

Free lunch and education

Cons

Short breaks

school environment

I graded papers, answered phones, translated, taught classes,copies,filed and many other task. I really enjoyed my job,unfortunately the school closed.

struggling students, supportive staff

Working in an alternative school setting presents many challenges. However, it was very important that these students receive the best education possible while addressing some obstacles at the same time. I learned that the saying "You can't really judge a person until you've walked in their shoes" holds true. We provided a lot of emotional and behavioral support to help students be successful. At this school we had the same students for several years in a row so it was truly rewarding to watch them grow academically and personally. The environment was a tough place and somewhat stressful at times but wee always strived to do our best for our students.

Stressful, dangerous and spontaneous

There is very little support among co-workers and the children do not have access to a quality education. The children are often from local gangs or juvenile halls and create a dangerous situation for everyone and a general lack of respect for their teachers.

Come to help students, but hamper by poor management and staff.

Opening- The students are the ones that made this school a place where I loved to work, but with the lack of proper management and teachers who teach for a pay check, made this school hostile and uninviting atmosphere. (Good) Management- Good people at heart, but with too much on their plate to handle. The stress of maintaining budgets, making money, and poor staff work ethics seems to dangle over there heads and affect their choices. When available, their there to give advice on certain situations, but at other times feel hostile to approach them. (Bad) Management- There is a good way to represent the management in this school facility. It is like a pecking order, from the principals/superintendent (top) to the aides at the bottom. This system could work if the ones on top have the knowledge and ability to work and understand student, but this was not the case for the school. This type of system created mass chaos and confusion from time to time. Up the chain would bark an order and then it was over ruled by someone higher up, so there was rarely a clear and concise order to a given situation. This system was manipulated by staff who had favor with higher ups or blackmail about the higher up staff members. There has been cases were staff on the lower rungs were disciplined for breaking a code while the higher level staff gets away with breaking codes in the school. (Ugly) Management- During meetings with faculty and staff teachers and aides were directly called out for making mistakes. (Good) Staff- There are few amazing and very knowledgable teacher and aides -

Pros

Benefits, Helping At-Risk Students

Cons

Teachers, Management, Stressful, Unprofessional

Not a fun place to work

The environment was not very encouraging, I hardly ever felt appreciated . Management needed to work on there people skills. They routinely spoke down to us. I never felt wanted.

Pros

time off

A Horrible Atmosphere

Management are the worst part of this nightmare atmosphere. Do not take a job there. Constant turnover of employees due to lack of support by management. Must allow behaviorally disordered to do whatever they want so Board members can make $ on their cash cow. It is a disgrace they are allowed to operate.

Pros

Cons

See above

I loved working with the kids

I loved everything about the job except management. I love the teachers, the kids, and the work I was required to do. I did my job and was always complimented on how well I was doing. The kids and teachers I worked under loved me. I have never worked anywhere, where they let go so many people for personal reasons. It didn't matter how good you were at what you did, if the higher ups (management) did not like you, they let you go!!!

Pros

The relationships/friendships I built

Cons

No job security

Ok

Was ok job atmosphere cared about employees was an ok job i would refer other to work for company. The job has had some major downfalls also.

working with the students as they develop

My typical day will consist of monitoring the students behavior. Assist with behavioral students by proper mediation and intervention. My co-workers were great we all sincerely cared for the well being of the students which fostered a caring, family environment. The hardest part of the job was losing some of the students. The students were at risk children with behavioral issues and some of the students refused to follow the program's process and procedures and this resulted to them being expelled from the school. The most enjoyable aspect will be the students who developed and who has entered college and become successful in their future endeavors.

Pros

great work environment

Cons

financial budget cuts to continue the program

Work

I enjoy working with students with different disabliities. Mostly with ADHA and ED students.

great enviornment to work

On a daily basis I patroled the school grounds inside and out, I also searched students as they entered the building for any contraband such as lighter, cells phones, and weapons. I also transported students to work study sites as well as picked up any students that may have missed the bus.

Pros

salary, and experience

Cons

never sat down

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coastal Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about Coastal Learning Center in popular locations

• Coastal Learning Center
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?