Coastal Transport Co., Inc Employee Reviews

Run like crazy
Driver (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 12, 2018
Worked here for almost 8 years, was lead driver when I left. We saw new trucks once while I was with them, they got new trucks shortly after I left over 5 years ago, nothing since, most trucks are In the 750,000 mile plus range.

Trailers haven't been replaced in years, think the newest the Abilene yard had is from 2000, many 30 plus year old trailers.

They hire anyone to be a mechanic with no certification of any kind, this guy was just changing oil at WalMart now hes lead mechanic, nothing is fixed until it breaks, I was on a first name basis with the local tow driver.

Pay sucks everyone else has gone up on pay in the last ten years not Coastal, the norm out of the Abilene yard is 14-15 hr days . Was on a 6-2 schedule last 5 years I was with them I never worked my 6th day due to no hours.

If your good at hauling fuel you can do whatever you please, start whenever you feel like it no one cares, favoritism is strong, good drivers can pick and choose loads.

Abilene is the redheaded step child of terminals, all the junk equipment comes here.

Losing business every day, lots of their Allsups are now being pulled by Wes T go Fuels and Penta Petro out west.

If you like low pay, not knowing if your equipment will get thru the day and dont value your safety this is the place for you... some of the equipment is down right scary considering what your hauling.
Pros
Will hire with no fuel experience
Cons
Great family environment...a great place to work
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 22, 2018
Coastal Transport is an awesome company with a very family oriented feel. The company as a whole cares not only about their employee but also about the employees family.
Coastal Transport has room for advancement and growth and is a company the promotes growth within their employees.
Pros
Family environment based company
Excellent place to work
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Corpus ChristiNovember 21, 2018
I've been a long time employee of the Company. It's Family owned and operated, and they make you feel like you're part of that family. That's not something that you see much of these days. Great benefits. Paid vacation. Open door policy with management, they will listen and address any issues brought to their attention.
Pros
Family feel
Relaxed Family Enviroment
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 21, 2018
I love working for coastal transport and look forward to it everyday. . The equipment is very modern and they continue to upgrade the fleet. I enjoy talking and helping my co-workers each day.
Pros
Great Management and Equipment
Cons
Great place to work New management different work ethics
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2018
New management bought lots of changes and the weren’t good changes. Lots of years of experience all went by the way side with new management. Sad how things can change and make someone who has never even thought about another job quickly start looking after 39 years.
Great place to work on Night shift.
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 3, 2018
They let the drivers get away with a little more than they should. However it’s a great place to work. They work with your schedule and with the hours you request.
Pros
Overtime for office staff
Cons
Don’t apply if your a skilled driver
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 8, 2018
Scroll pass them, this place is unprofessional and safety is not there intrest until someone is killed or injured! The pay is horrible, no overtime, if your fully endorsed and worth $600 to $900 a week. This job is for you. Hope this helps real truck drivers thats looking to slow down. This is not the place.
management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Management was poorly ran, favortism, horrible demeanor by terminal manager. Great benefits and salary, employees had no sense of team work due to terminal manager.
Easy job but long hours at times.
CDL-A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Great people to work with. Management did their job and tried to get us the loads evenly and fairly. They want everyone to make money. The safety officer don't play games, however he is a very fair person and very approachable. Overall, I liked it when I worked for them. I was home every night and with good pay.
Pros
good pay, great people, friendly environment, easy work.
Cons
can't be lazy, hard work
Good place to work if you fit in
Fuel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 1, 2018
(Lots of politics),you are paid by load and how well you fit in or are liked by dispatchers determines how many or what loads dispatchers decided to give you.
Pros
Good pay, easy job
Cons
If you get good loads (if)
Don't work here
Driver (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 22, 2018
Benefits are mediocre at best. The terminal manager is only there for the pay check and allows the employees and dispatcher to do what ever they want. She also refuses to confront issues proactively. You'll be in a different truck everyday and all the trailers are completely different setups and capacities. Mostly longer runs and very few in town runs unless you make the "favorites" list. Zero comunication in dispatch and in management. Ok for a temporary job but wouldn't suggest staying long term
Pros
They will hire anyone. Impossible to get fired
Cons
Long hours, 6 on 2 off schedual
great place
Dispatcher office support (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXAugust 13, 2018
good place, some people didn't want to rotate as far as shift work, caught driver stelling gas, told management, didn't do anything. after that I felt I had to leave to avoid probles.
Bad place to work and management does not care
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 8, 2018
The only thing i can say is this is a good place for entry leval gas hauling after 6 months leave and get a real you look at the job dont waste your time and if reviews most are bad that should tell the job seeker something so move on find a better job.
Pros
Training for a novis
Cons
Everthing else
Horrible Managment
HR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2018
The management team at Coastal Transport is horrible. They're is a lot of favoritism in the office and nothing is kept confidential. Also they do not provide any sick pay nor do they offer raises.
Dont compensate well
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78219June 25, 2018
You only get paid by the load and you have to be in a rush to try to make a decent pay check. Some of the loads pay about $30 a load and it can take 3 to 4 hours for 1 load
In every case you can learn something
Safety Compliance Department (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 19, 2018
I began at Coastal doing data entry from the calculations of each driver's ticket book. We completed payroll every two weeks, printed the checks, stuffed the envelopes and put them in each terminal bag for delivery. I was fortunate enough to have interviewed and got the position in Safety Compliance, where both of my managers were former DPS officers and taught me quite a bit about CMS (Carrier Motor Safety) I went from scanning paper logs to utilizing the electronic log system, I really did enjoy my time in this area of the company.
Pros
Enjoyed the Safety Compliance dept.
Cons
Too much in-house bickering, lax management
trucking is truking
TRANSPORT DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 12, 2018
Pick up and delivery of fuel products. It is what it is. It's hauling to and from the rack to the stores. Was 4 on/4 off when I was there. Who know now. Steady job.
Pros
pay
Cons
no hot chicks work there
Steady work keep busy
Dispatcher/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 12, 2018
No structure, manager has no control over employees, manager also reacts with an unprofessional attitude. Employees work together for a common goal and to make sure job is done to best of ability.
Horrible training
Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 24, 2018
I was hired and started right away. The supervisor I had did not train me. She expected me to know what I was doing. There was 2 of us hired we were sharing a small cubicle with one computer. The supervisor the the other person had trained her and she got to take notes.
Pros
The other staff was friendly and helpful.
Cons
1 supervisor
terrible company
Fuel Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 22, 2018
I would never refer a driver to this company they ask for more than they pay the expect drivers to be doing favors all the time with no pay and are always looking for things for the drivers to do that don't have anything to do with operating a commercial truck.
Pros
nothing great
Cons
days off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coastal Transport Co., Inc. Our community is ready to answer.