CoBank

CoBank Employee Reviews

United States29 reviews
Good place to start
Growing company with opportunities for growth and internal mobility. Super stable and highly profitable. Great location and office in DTC and near light rail.
Long hours and little appreciation
Male dominated "Good Ol'e Boy" network. Expect long hours with tight deadlines and questionable ethics sometimes. Not much of a team environment unless you are one of the "Boys". On the plus side the pay and benefits are good.
Little chance for advancements if you are female
Worked at the Omaha location. Very old school male dominated culture with little respect for the opinion of females.. Senior management positions are 100% male and most of those people have been in those positions for over 20 years. I could work all day and not have one man speak to me. —culture does not allow the opportunity for input of new ideas.
Marketing Manager
CoBank offered a wonderful work environment. Employees worked closely together and were positive. The company strongly followed its mission based objectives.
New CEO But No New Vision
A very bureaucratic environment where employees lack agency to complete tasks. Some departments might be better than others. The HR department utilizes a personality profile to ensure a very homogenous workforce, but the lack of diversity is a downside.
Pros
Onsite cafeteria
Cons
Rigid rules, lack of autonomy
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Friendly atmostphere, not a clue technology wise
Management has a tendency to promise potential positions becoming FTE but they never deliver. They did not seem to care about customer satisfaction. Giving the best technical solutions for overall customer satisfaction is not allowed. When they ask for technical suggestions/input, they initially seem interested but it will be ignored. Most managers are subjective but a few like to backstab.
Pros
cafeteria is nice and parking is plentiful
Cons
poor technology choices without taking into account of customer satisfaction
CoBank is instrumental in the farm credit system
I had two jobs at CoBank and I liked both of my jobs. I feel that my B.A. and my M.B.A. prepared me for work at CoBank. CoBank does everything well. I appreciated the continuing education they gave me.
Challenging and rewarding
I rewarding place to work. Many opportunities for advancement. Great location in Centennial with view of mountains. The staff is friendly. The company provided annual RTD transportation passes to employees.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Cons
A bit restrictive with red tape and security requirements.
Difficult culture
Management is unable or extremely slow to make decisions. Very risk adverse which creates a barrier to innovation. Should look at increasing pay to attract and retain talent, however if they don't improve their leadership, that won't matter.
Pros
Cafeteria
What a great place to work!
What an incredible culture, the people at CoBank are like nowhere else. Everyone here is a specialist in their craft and so many great minds make the job exciting. The dedication that everyone has for the company is something I haven't seen anywhere else. When you work at CoBank you are a part of a bigger team making a difference in rural america.
Pros
cafeteria, mission, people
i only worked contract
Sometime contract workers are treated different than employees. Learned LIBOR rates, different software programs, housing rates, bank rates. Only worked there 9 months
Culture here leaves much to be desired.
Very, very restrictive environment with zero autonomy and no flexibility. No room for advancement and my experience as a manager was that I was expected to prevent minorities from receiving promotions. Failure to comply with this resulted in retaliation. Could not exit quickly enough.
Cobank
Cobank is a very small company. It offers very little guidance from management and has a very old school mindset. There are significant cultural issues in this firm and a very high attrition rate.
Good company
CoBank is a good company with a lot of opportunities for growth. It is specially good for those just out of college students, looking for an opportunity in banking.
Relaxed place to work
CoBank is a slower paced company with work like balance. They offer excellent benefits and care about their customers. They have an excellent benefit package.
Used to be a nice place with awards of Best Place to WOrk in CO.
All went down hill five years ago. It used to be a nice place to work. Lots of change. They got rid of anyone that was over 60 and or had over 20 years with the company and put the emphasis on college students thereby lowering the salary outflow in order to build a new "fabulous" building. They don't seem to worry about associates anymore. They worry more about appearances the words "inclusion" and several others that don't mean anything except on paper.
Upper management loves to slap each other on the back constantly.

Too bad. Used to bee a great place to work.
Pros
decent benefits and matching 401K
Very good place to work. Kept the customer as the number 1 priority.
At desk and ready to work by 7:00 most days (official start time 7:30)
Working from Consultants documents, prepare Cash Management documents for services that the customer had signed up for.

After review by Consultant, send to customer according to desired delivery method (i.e.: overnight or regular mail).

Learned which documents to select for particular services.

Management was easy to work with and respected their staff.

Co-workers were a variety of personalities with differing desires in how/what they wanted in their customer packets

Hardest part of the job was ensuring that the latest iteration of documents were being sent to customers

I enjoyed working with almost all the members of the team
Pros
Felt we provided farmers and their cooperatives with sound financial support
Cons
Working with a new third party bank to provide services
Women stay away from the CoBank IT department
If you were a woman working in IT at Cobank be prepared to be treated differently. Also be prepared for the HR department to not have your back and make you feel like you are the problem. Glassdoor.com contains real reviews from real CoBank employees who had real problems with the way coBank treats their employees in the IT department. It is just an old boys club, old-school mentality of middle-management not being progressive. Middle-management likes to stick together so they all look good, and then make life difficult for the people they don't like. What's funny is the people they don't like are the young, outspoken, progressive people who have personalities. Middle-management likes to keep the people who are one trick pony's, who never speak up in meetings, like to keep to themselves all the time. These are the folks that will never challenge or question management

This summer at CoBank, an independent HR investigation was completed as to why so many people leave the IT department. But the only change that investigation warranted was a change at the top of the IT department. Unfortunately, the problem still remains with the same group of middle managers. There's even one woman in that middle management team and you think she would've put it ended this treatment along time ago, but she perpetuates it by doing nothing to improve it. She doesn't even see the problem, even when people try to explain it to her. Those in middle -management don't want to be challenged by anybody below them because they feel threatened. The reason they feel threatened is that they
 - more...
Productive, professional, fun working environment
I truly enjoyed working for CoBank. The training and management team were very supportive and approachable. I would have loved to work for them longer but this was a long term temporary assignment so when the assignment ended on July 31, my job there ended.
Pros
All of the staff at CoBank were very appreciative of all of us temporary employees.
Cons
This was only a temporary assignment and I would have love to stay on full time.
Great experience to enhance professional skills
Great experience in broadening my skill set and was offered employment by CoBank - where I was assisting them during a computer conversion.
Fine job
It was seasonal work for me. I don't really have enough experience to give a good review. I am not suited for retail work. The people were nice enough. I thought it was a decent work environment but again not really for me.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CoBank. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight