Cobb County Government

Cobb County Government Employee Reviews

United States50 reviews
i enjoyed working with the company while i was employeed with them for the season. The job is a good experience for anyone even if you don't work in the field.
Cobb County offers a lot to its employees. There are solid benefits which include a pension and 401k, and tuition reimbursement. There are so many different types of positions in the County, that someone could have a varied career depending on what they want to do. There are lots of good people here who work hard to serve the citizens of the County.
Horrible management. Over work for little pay. Management is horrible. From the director of hr and below. No training in the job. Fast pace. Will give you large departments when you walk in the door.
Genuinely enjoyed working all of my coworkers. The goals were clear and reasonable. Management was great about schedule flexibility. Celebrating big and little things kept it fun and interesting.
I worked in the juvenile system and it tore at my heart each day to see whats happening in the lives of our youth.

Cobb County does a fine job in trying to restore, and reunite families or provide alternative options to protect the children.

THe culture was just like most with its highs and lows. I worked with a group of experienced men and women and were very personable and professional.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I watched the quality of this place deteriorate. Micro management is at its worst and I'm honestly glad to no longer be there. I had lost all respect for the people I worked for.
This government entity offers great benefits, relaxed atmosphere, great supervisors with in the roads department They work for very demanding citizens to correct road issues.
The workplace could get hectic, the pay was low for all that was involved and the treatment wasn't fair at all. Typical day started pretty early and there were way too many people who are into drama and gossip there. Not my cup of tea at all. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting genuine people who really cared about you and took an interest in you as an individual, then there were those that were just there to gossip and spread rumors and cause drama for others. Horrible management.
Pros
great benefits; work/life balance
Cons
no advancement opportunities; unequal treatment
Its a little rest paced at times, it can be stressful and fun all at the same time. Always a challage. Always something new to learn but at the end of the day I look at my park and know it clean, taken care of and ready for the next game or event
Pros
Supportive, work as a team
Cons
Equipment down time
I have attended the training, worked with poll workers, area supervisors, at the polls during early voting, and on Election Day. I started out PT then obtained a FT position. The job is slow and steady for the most part but will change to fast paced and hectic starting one month before an election till 3-5 days after an election. Time off is very much discouraged during election time which can be inconvenient if a health or family issue arises. Incentives offered include helpful training classes such as (free) Defensive Driving and notary certification opportunity. Health benefits are convenient and you hav to ability to accrue paid sick leave and vacation time each pay period. The posted pay rate is not accurate. You will be offered the minimum amount in the range and just hope to God that the county’s board approves a budget increase so your pay rate will equal out to an actual living wage. Management varies from department to department from friendly, inclusive, and knowledgeable to lazy, confrontational, and incompetent. Management here look out for each other so be sure when voicing a concern that it is acknowledged, taken seriously, and addressed in a professional manner that benefits you fairly. Be prepared to deal with constant changing of procedures, as laws change within US/Georgia elections, so will your job. Be prepared to deal with an ignorant, threatening, scorned public when answering voter/elections questions as there are a lot of political groups, activists, and non profit organizations that cause confusion, and at times, make the job harder. Be prepared to - more...
Benefits
Cons
Low Pay Rate, Poor Management Skills, Poor Communication, Unreasonable hours during Election
just be mindful of what you do and who you talk to. I would not recommend them at all. I really don't have much else to say is to just be cautious of the people
The management is awful, and no room for advancement. I was told I would receive a full-time position almost 4 years ago. Employees lie on their time sheets, and management accepts it. If you want to work in an environment with drama, than this is the place for you.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Managment, drama, dishonest staff
An absolutely wonderful place to work! Great work life balance and benefits! The environment is friendly and employees matter here. Your voice is heard and valued here.
Pros
benefits, and job culture
Cons
I resigned due to a Biased and Unprofessional Training Environment and more serious concerns. I was denied the presence of HR when requested thus making the complaint investigation biased. This review is for the Cobb County Water Dept only. I've heard great things about other Departments. They stated they would not rehire me for any County position although I did nothing wrong except be a whistle-blower regarding unprofessional behavior against a tenured person, not to mention there have been other complaints about the person in question for their behavior in the past. I heard it's hard to fire people for wrong-doing because the Board of Commissioner's have to approve it. With this in mind, this dept. reminded me of a "Union" which I don't like bc when people do wrong, it's hard to get rid of them. I resigned because I cannot be lead by someone who lacks integrity and professionalism.
Pros
Location to my home.
Cons
Low pay, unprofessional training environment, mandatory retirement deductions, probation is 1 yr standard, Pay increase based on County's annual budget.
Coworkers are coworkers
and supervisors are supervisors

Stay Professional and Humble

Don't get caught up in drama--you will go far if you smile and follow the rules
Benefits
Cons
Compensation
I would recommend you choose your choice of department within the county government wisely. Management in the department I worked for was sub-par. I learned you have to choose the people you consider as friends and you work with wisely. There is a lot of people who like to step on others toes.
Each department differs so it's hard to give review for entire organization. Most departments will train you well but don't always provide the opportunity to move ahead. Pay needs to improve across the board but specifically for entry and mid-level positions. Can provide job security as they seldom lay-off but it can be difficult to be hired due to number of applicants. Very good place to start for entry level positions.
Pros
Free employee clinic and two fitness centers
Cons
Compensation
If your a yes man, you'll be fine. No free thinkers allowed unless you're in the IN crowd. If you have an idea for improving operations, save it, if it's not THEIR idea, it's a bad idea.
Pros
Probably won't be laid off.
Cons
Promote only favorites.
I loved my jobs working for them. The hours were great, the time I spent there I loved. The benifits were amazing. The only thing I didn’t like was their pay. I have a class A cdl and they wanted to start me at 14.00 a hour.
Pros
Nice overtime and benifits
Cons
Low pay
Cobb county probate court is a fun but very stressful environment. You will encounter a very diverse group of customers and co workers. It was a good job but it was long temporary for me.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Very challenging and rewarding. The supervision supports its staff and there are clear cut goals and a mission statement. The training is top notch and resources are available to assist employees.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Environmental stresses
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cobb County Government. Our community is ready to answer.
Cobb County Government Reviews by Location