Coborn's Employee Reviews

Not the Best Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Big Lake, MNNovember 11, 2018
Coborn's takes pride in being the best place to shoot and the best place to work. I disagree. To start, Coborn's does not treat it's employees well. The company is trying to restructure it's retail store and turn the majority of its employees to part-time employees so the company doesn't have to give out benefits or more pay.
The pay is terrible. I worked for the company for almost five years and I have not seen a significant pay increase. The only real pay increases that I got were were when MN changed its minimum wage laws. I know several employees, who were longtime employees, left because Coborn's pay rate was awful compared to the competition.
Coborn's has a "One Size Fits All" policy. This means that corporate believes that all stores should carry the same product and follow what corporate tells its store carries. This not hurts store autonomy but cause many stores to lose money since not all stores have the same customer base.
Pros
Flexible hours and fun employees to work with.
Cons
Low Pay, No Benefits but Vacation, Rampant Favoritism, Little to No Opportunity for Advancement, One Size Fits All Policy, Learn Little Skills.
The days were short, and they were flexible with hours.
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albertville, MNNovember 26, 2018
The management in my time at two different locations was poor, despite time stamped reports of verbal abuse, it takes years for action to be taken. Other than that, the departments typically help one another, and the employees are generally hard working and very friendly. Most of the customers are friendly at the locations I worked in which made it easier and less stressful on everyone. The had pretty nice benefits, 401K matching could be better, but it's not the end of the world.
Not a pleasant atmosphere
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Foley, MNOctober 30, 2018
Upper management constantly under pressure to cut costs and benefits and didn't really relate to employees. They talk about opportunities to move up or laterally within the company, but those are actually few and far between. Job positions were shifted or discontinued without much notice and you could either do something you didn't want or weren't trained for, or leave.
Pros
Decent shifts/ not open late.
Cons
Asked to do more with and for less.
Great place to work while still in school
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mora, MNSeptember 7, 2018
In a typical day at work, I would meet a variety of people, help them, and serve. I learned to have patience, but also have sternness. The management was wonderful and they always helped when you needed it. The hardest part was when I first started working. For me, it was learning to do everything. But now, it's simple. The most enjoyable part is working with coworkers I love to be around and the friendly work environment I get to be in. They are super flexible with hours, which is why I loved working there in the school year. They are lenient on starting after school as well, and will make sure you don't overwork during the year. My coworkers are very nice and always helpful.
Pros
Occasionally food, discounts, flexible hours, great environment.
Cons
Short breaks
Good place for high school students
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mitchell, SDSeptember 13, 2018
The produce department was an okay job, but the management was very poor and I felt like we were under payed for all the job requires to do. Anyways, the coworkers were fun to be around and the benefits were good.
Pros
Benefits, and coworkers
Cons
Management, low pay
Good experience
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Big Lake, MNAugust 8, 2018
I had never had a real job until Coborn's, it was a great first job to have. It was easy job most of the time full friendly atmosphere, I had an amazing manager and I learned how to make sure to be sanitary one hundred percent of the time. I love learning all the daily tasks of a bakery clerk, and take pride in everything I do, I suggested the job to my cousin in St. Cloud because it seemed like such an easy going job. I feel my manager made sure I knew how to take care of every situation and how to work well with customers, which I hope I reached her expectations.
Pros
Great manager, decent amount of breaks, mainly friendly staff, and decent pay.
Cons
Not as many benefits as I wanted, not many hours, difficulty in transportation, fluctuation in hours, and customers are pretty unthoughtful.
I liked the job but I didn’t fit in.
Everything. (Former Employee) –  Delano, MNAugust 24, 2018
At one point I wanted to really advance ahead, but I didn’t fit in with the people in charge. It’s not a good entry level job since I’d sooner recommend young people to go into the manufacturing jobs around Minnesota or go to school. Unless you really fit in, the culture there is all about the community it’s in. The hours were long and I never got ahead even though I was the hardest worker they had ever employed, I wasn’t an outdoorsman and wasn’t related to anyone so I was always overlooked. Waste of time and money for years.
Pros
Cons
Expect favoritism.
Fun working environment
Front End Manager/Team Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDApril 16, 2018
During my 2 years at Coborn's I was able to advance in my job. I was initially hired as a cashier and I advanced to the customer service desk, then on to front end manager. My last advancement was from front end manager to team lead barista. Pay is fair for the job that you do and the co-workers were great to be around. Coborn's also had a great customer base, most everyone is friendly.
Pros
great coworkers and management
Cons
no full time positions
Great place to work, as long as you aren't a woman in IT
Business Analyst / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 29, 2018
Coborn's has some great things going for them. However, if you are in IT, expect minimal work/life balance. If you are a female in IT and wish to become a manager, you may want to look elsewhere.
Pros
onsite gym at corporate, great coworkers, good discount on groceries
Cons
boys club, not a great work life balance
Lack of communication and training
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sauk Centre, MNAugust 9, 2018
Thrown into a line of work with little training, poor communication, and poor scheduling. Learned most things the hard way. Management plays favorites. Most co-workers get along well. Others seem to have management wrapped around their fingers. Hardest part about job is not being able to stick up for yourself and being thrown under the bus. Most enjoyable part of job is working with people that take pride in their job and get along well with others.
Cons
pay
Flexible schedule/no training or management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sauk Rapids, MNDecember 7, 2018
In your interview they tell you that you will be doing a specific station. Not true!! You will be running all day! There is no training or help from management. There is barely enough time to wait on the customers , let alone get all of the other things that are expected daily.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No breaks, bad management
hated it
Cashier/Bagger (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDMay 16, 2018
I hated it. Played favorites and never truly looked at those who deserved the jobs. Never was thankful for those who came into the store to work when others called in all the time and when those who called in get a pay raise instead of others who work their butts off.
Decent Job, but not a Forever Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Park Rapids, MNNovember 4, 2018
The Job was fine and easy enough, but we often were short staffed. The environment was often very stressful. Pay was decent, but only managers could be full time and receive all benefits. We did get a store brand discount.
Pros
store brand discount
Cons
short staffed
Challenging opportunity
Vice President Information Systems and Technology (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNAugust 28, 2018
The organization has opportunities to improve and has challenges ahead with competitive pressures coming from other grocers and retailers jumping into the delivery and store pick up model
Bad management
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Princeton, MNMay 24, 2018
Very bad and rude managers. Overworked underpayed. Managers would get into your personal business and make you work addictional hours or you were fired.
Pros
Cons
Management.
Great work environment and helpful management team
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montevideo, MNJuly 30, 2018
I worked 6 am to noon- receiving merchandise from vendors delivering to Coborns. Teamwork was a great part of the store from the management team to my co-workers.
Pros
Excellent management staff
Cons
none I enjoyed my co-workers and the work I did.
Good job.
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Montevideo, MNAugust 29, 2018
Staff worked 7-4 or possibly 8-5
as produce manager at my location.
Part time staff worked 10-6 or 11-7, was also dependent upon the season.
Many things were left up to me to figure out on my own. Training was not good.
Loved this job, but did not have much corporate or upper management support.
Great Place to work
Fleet Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 3, 2018
Employees were treated well in certain departments.
Low competitive payrate.
Too many weekend and holiday hours
Best part of my job was my boss and a few of my team members
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Big Lake, MNJune 27, 2018
A typical day is busy But can be quit stressful. I learned a lot more about decorating and dealing with people when stressed out. Management is great they are supportive and do their best to help when needed. It is a fun place to work friendly and family oriented. hardest part was balancing guest assistance and my decorating work load. I really enjoy decorating the cakes
Productive and Happy Atmosphere
Deli Clerk Coborns (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MNOctober 15, 2018
Coborns is really fun to work at, and is a good place to work at while finishing high school and going to college. With working here you can start working in one department and then switch departments if need be, to learn different areas. Also after the first year you will start to accumulate paid time off, this just goes off of the hours you work, so this is a good bonus, and recently they starting having a 15% off employee discount for in store purchases.
Pros
Team work, work around your schedule, great atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coborn's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight