COCC Employee Reviews

Featured review
COCC selected this as a representative review
Opportunity abounds
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTDecember 11, 2018
Anyone who says you can't grow at COCC must not be working at the same place. I have had a great experience here and have been able to advance in my career. I have been able to take part in so many training opportunities like onsite classes in a bunch of different topics, and they also give employees the opportunity to take offsite or remote classes. It's all relevant and applicable to my day to day job. I also enjoy the other opportunities to be recognized like the Peer to Peer program and Bravo Board. I really feel like I have grown here at COCC.
Pros
Training is great, lots of opportunity, day off for your birthday
Cons
$ could be better
Time to Move On
Software Engineering Analyst (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTAugust 13, 2019
Worked as an engineer and had a very disturbing and disappointing experience. It seems to be a theme at COCC of hiring poorly qualified managers for one reason or another. We hired a manager that had difficulty understanding the basics of the role and responsibilities. Going to this person for any help or assistance was fruitless. Hiring someone with little or no experience is one thing, but it should be in more of an entry level position. Hiring for management level is another ball of wax. It's all too common at this tiny company to promote current employees to managers or hire managers externally that are not suited for the job. It's a downer when no career advancement exists and human resources is not helpful or responsive in any way to concerns and needs of employees. The low pay doesn't help the experience. My resume is posted and I'm actively looking for another job.
Pros
A lot of parking, free gym
Cons
Low pay, no career path, very poor management
Great benefits!
Customer Support Coordinator/Call Center (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTAugust 11, 2019
Working in the call center can be challenging enough. COCC really tries to break up your day with training and fun little exercises to keep their employees happy.
Top Workplace for a reason!
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTJune 25, 2019
Due to the nature of the business, not all departments have the same work/life balance, however, I never feel as though work is consuming my life. In at 8:30, right out at 5:00. I've been given the opportunity to switch departments which for me was a step up regardless of title. There are so many different courses on site from Health & Wellness, to Principles of Banking, to SQL For Beginners. For me, I find that a majority of the people in the office wave or say Hello when walking by, everyone's friendly and always willing to help too. There is ample opportunity for growth and I plan on utilizing it!
Pros
daily subsidized lunches in Southington and free lunches on Fridays in Avon, fitness center onsite, (2) 10 minute walks a day are promoted, training courses, parking, free Bday PTO day, Food Perk days, the list goes on!
Cons
still waiting to find one
July 8, 2019

You have a similar story to many here at COCC in that many of our employees find opportunities to switch departments, explore new teams, and gain new skills and experiences. We are also happy to hear of employees taking full advantage of our growing talent development and wellness programs, which are onsite and free! Thank you for this thoughtful review!

Team, environment and flexible
CUSTOMER SUPPORT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTJune 18, 2019
I am part time, but there is plenty of great benefits the company offers is employees and the work environment is very laid back and not a stressful environment
Pros
flexible
Cons
Communication
July 8, 2019

Thanks for the review! We agree, and we pride ourselves on our welcoming and positive environment!

Wonderful place to work
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTApril 16, 2019
There is plenty of room for advancement within the company. The majority of managers are promoted from within!

Managers are usually great to work with and experts in their areas. My manager has been able to teach me so much in the last few years. Always willing to share the knowledge.

Every work place has some politics but it really is a family atmosphere. Not everyone is going to fit in perfectly in every company they find but if you are willing to work hard and put in the effort you'll earn those promotions.

The pay is decent and benefits/perks are excellent!

If you like a flexible and growing company led by people who are passionate about their jobs, all while earning the opportunity to grow and enjoying free training along the way, this is a great place to work!
Pros
A lot of food options in the area and onsite, training training training, so much room for growth, a fun culture with lots of activities, free food days, networking events, etc.
Cons
None to speak of
July 8, 2019

It is always great to hear that COCC is a wonderful place to work. We agree! Our family atmosphere, comprehensive talent development and talent management programs, and wide array of benefits and perks are only a few of the many elements that make COCC special.

Terrible place to work
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTApril 14, 2019
There is little to no room for advancement within the company, they often hire from the outside.

Management is poor and not well versed in whatever area they lead; I recall my data manager not knowing how to write a simple SQL select script.

A lot of politics, one guy got promoted in 2 to 3 years because he plays golf with the executives.

Poor pay and worse benefits.

If you like to be micromanaged and led by people less experienced than you, all while being compensated poorly and knowing there is no room for growth, this is a great place to work!
Pros
A lot of food options in the area
Cons
Poor pay, incompetent management, poor benefits, no room for growth, depressing atmosphere and culture
July 8, 2019

This year, we are renewing our focus on leadership development and growing our teams internally. This is just the next step as we continue to expand our talent development offerings here at COCC. We love to promote from within because we deeply believe in the value of growing our unique culture!

Great place to work at any stage of your career!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTApril 13, 2019
No matter what stage career you're in, you'll be able to find your place here. I feel that there is a lot of diversity in terms of experience, skills, positions, backgrounds, career and life stages. I work with a wide variety of people every day. Some teach me new things and I in turn have the opportunity to teach others. I feel that everyone is appreciated for where they are and what they bring. Working here for the past 8 years has been a very enriching experience for me and I hope to stay at COCC for the rest of my career!
Pros
Very generous PTO, competitive pay and benefits package, great training, awesome people and culture of inclusiveness
Cons
Really none
July 8, 2019

Thank you for the review! We are proud to be a diverse workplace with a wide array of folks who can share their unique ideas and perspectives with their coworkers.

The sky's the limit
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTApril 9, 2019
COCC is not just a fun place to work- it's also a great place to grow your career. It's a flexible work place with free food days and fun events. Plus hard work is recognized & rewarded. I've worked at plenty of other dead end places where I knew my salary would never keep growing. It's not like that at COCC. If you're an A player who wants to grow your career then this is the place to be.
Pros
Free training is awesome, good coworkers & managers, it's a fun place to work, the company is growing
Cons
Wish there were other options than the high deductible health plan, remote work policy doesn't apply to all departments
July 8, 2019

Thank you for the thoughtful review! As a growing company, we are loving all of our employees who are looking forward to growing with us.

Not for the faint of heart
Batching Operator (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTApril 8, 2019
In my opinion, a very disappointing experience. I accepted a low starting salary with the promise and obvious expectation of doing better with training and experience. After a number of positive performance reviews, and so-called promotions, I was barely making more than when I started 5 years ago. Most promotions were lateral moves and apparently my salary "bumps" were in line with company policy( 1-2%). What I did learn I taught myself and training was rarely offered. Simply not a great place to start or build a career. Live and learn is my new mantra
Pros
Volleyball team, trivia Fridays, and friendly co-workers
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, and no training
April 9, 2019

We are aware that this is one of several reviews from the same former employee posted on multiple sources who unfortunately was one of the few who did not have a good experience here at COCC. While we always attempt to hire candidates who fit our culture, there is sometimes a disconnect. However, we believe that our eight consecutive years as a Top Workplace in Connecticut has not happened by accident, and our continued efforts to engage with our employees and respond to their feedback have been worthwhile. We continue to receive recognition from our employees, our clients, and the industry overall because of our highly engaged workforce that truly does make COCC a great place to work!

No Career advancement.
Software engineer (Current Employee) –  southington, CTFebruary 10, 2019
I have been working at COCC as a software engineer for the past eight years. The company is horrible in terms of career growth. There are a lot of talented, knowledgeable engineers who have been stagnant in their positions for many years. Recently, there was a supervisor position opening which management chose to fill by hiring from outside instead of from within. The guy they hired was completely lost and overwhelmed because he didn’t understand our systems. So, management did a re-organization to give him a smaller team to supervise. I know the HR team will respond to my criticism but citing the fact that COCC was voted best place to work for the past eight years in a row. However, the best place to work survey is skewed in favor of other working conditions such as work life balance. Bottom line, don’t come to COCC for career growth or fair compensation because you will be sadly disappointed.
Pros
nice gym
Cons
no career growth, poor salary, poor management, politics
February 12, 2019

As we grow as a company, we have been working on ways to ensure that employees remain engaged and that teams are organized in a way that keeps both our employees and our clients happy. While we do typically promote from within the majority of the time, sometimes an outside hire is a more appropriate fit for a role. And we know that onboarding is an area of growth for us - that's why we are working on ways to build robust and customized team-specific onboarding programs. Any employees who are interested in advancement or even switching roles are encouraged to speak to both their manager and to the newly formed Talent Management team! This team can help employees find the right fit so that they can continue to stretch their skills and grow within the company. There is always opportunity at COCC!

Disappointing experience
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTFebruary 1, 2019
In my opinion it was very disappointing. My manager was awol most of the time, not available for help or to assist when needed. It was a mystery where this gentleman was most of the time and no one in my department thought it was odd or strange. I was hoping to gain some experience and either grow within the company or use my time at COCC as a springboard. The unfortunate fact is there was not much upward mobility internally and I really did not learn as much as hoped. I will continue to plug along and hope things change, but as of now not thrilled with my choice to work here. it's been a dead end
Pros
Free beverage service, Pto
Cons
Poor management, no internal growth
February 4, 2019

fun and amazing place to work
Sr. Item Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Avon, CTJanuary 15, 2019
cocc was a great place to work in. the hours are great and all my coworkers was so friendly. we even had our birthdays as one of the paid hoildays with i think every job should do.
January 23, 2019

Thank you for this kind review! We agree - COCC is such a fun and friendly place to work!

Half Empty
Ebanking associate (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTDecember 29, 2018
Not a great place to start a career. Management is disengaged, and your co-workers can helpful at times, but not super helpful other times. The pay scale is low and because it is such a small company, career advancement is non-existent.
Pros
Casual Dress, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, lack of opportunity

Not a happy camper
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTDecember 1, 2018
In my opinion kind of a dead end job. Little or no opportunity for career growth, and internal training was not usually offered. Also found the atmosphere tense and petty in many respects. The managers were not helpful and very judgemental and tended to not be hands on. You have to really figure it out for yourself
Pros
Good coffee, trivia lunches
Cons
Low pay, stifling growth, dead end

Good and Bad
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTNovember 24, 2018
The good was nice people, pretty relaxed environment, and nice facilities. The negative was the lack of management , or lack of experience the managers of my department had. Had the impression they were making it up as they went along. It's rare for manager's at Cocc to have experience because many of them are hired
through some sort of "connection" family or otherwise. Nice work if you can get it, but too many people in the management/executive ranks clearly did not deserve their job and it resulted in poorly run teams and hampered job performance. I have my resume posted and am currently looking for better options
Pros
Nice folks, modern facilities
Cons
Lack of career opportunity, low pay, poor management
January 23, 2019

One of the best places to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTNovember 15, 2018
COCC is a great place to work if you are looking for a place to grow that has a family atmosphere where you are not just a number. For employees who show a lot of passion, commitment, flexibility, and ability to work well with others, there is no shortage of opportunities to advance your career. The positions themselves are usually challenging and interesting, and it's rare to hear people complaining about being bored. Coworkers and managers are by and large very professional and a pleasure to work with. It's a truly fun place to work with lots of ways to get to know your coworkers, win prizes and gift cards, and enjoy free food from time to time!
Pros
Food onsite, fun perks, great benefits, company events, onsite training
Cons
Some teams seem spread thin, compensation is not as strong as similar companies in industry
No career advancement
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Avon, CTNovember 10, 2018
I honestly didn't care for the company or it's culture. I was looking to stay long term and grow my career, but that didn't seem possible unfortunately.
You really don't learn a lot on the job and class room training or internal classes on-line through the intranet are not offered. It was a job, but not a career
Pros
Gym, free food on occassion
Cons
Poor work culture, lack of opportunity
Not for everyone
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTNovember 5, 2018
In my opinion not a great place for free thinkers and people with career aspirations. Group think pervades this small company, and speaking your mind or offering a differing opinion will get you a meeting with human resources very quickly. Management frowns on anyone that disagrees with them and trying to get ahead in terms of a promotion or climbing the career ladder is non-existent. Most positions at COCC are entry level and moving to another department is a lateral move at best. It was a disappointing experience for me
Pros
Free ice cream once a month and a fantasy football league
Cons
Working with management that have no industry or management experience
Too much politics
E-Banking (Current Employee) –  Southington, CTOctober 24, 2018
In my opinion, there just wasn't the career growth and opportunity I was hoping for. Management was not really a positive, and frankly most people in management positions were not qualified for their roles. Cocc is a small company that is big on nepotism and politics, and short on training. Very hard to get ahead if you are not part of the "in-crowd". My advice is pursue other options for employment
Pros
Casual Friday, and plenty of parking
Cons
Poor training and career opportunities
Not a positive experience
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTOctober 16, 2018
Worked at COCC for several years and in my opinion not a great place to work. There wasn't an opportunity for career advancement and the raises were minimal when they were given during reviews. I also found management not engaged and not deserving of their title or position. If I had to do it over again, I would not have wasted the time and effort I put into the company.
Pros
Casual dress, on site parking
Cons
Lack of career advancement and professional growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COCC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9