Cocoon House Employee Reviews

Excellent Organization
Director of Operations and Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 20, 2018
Cocoon House is a wonderful organization to work for. We contribute positively to our communities and impact our clients in a positive and uplifting way. The organization treats its employees fairly and strives to ensure equitable advancement opportunities.
Compassionate, flexible work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 13, 2018
Cocoon House is a phenomenal place to work. I am continually impressed with how the agency manages to maintain a culture of responsiveness to youth and staff needs, both with policies and programming. This flexibility and willingness to explore new, creative solutions is hard to find at similar organizations. The agency values its employees on a personal level and encourages them to share their interests with other staff, as well as with the youth and young adults we work with. Your job is really what you make of it - you can stick to the basics of your position description, or find ways to include hobbies and activities you're passionate about.
Leadership works hard to find and support training and other growth opportunities for staff at all levels, and tries to find opportunities for shadowing/cross-training in other roles you're interested in. Employees' home life is also valued - balance is encouraged, and I feel incredibly supported if I need to take time to focus on my family or mental health.
The people we serve are easily the best and hardest part of the job. It's difficult to see/hear everything they've experienced and had to deal with thus far in their lives, and see how that mixes with typical teenage hormonal swings. However, every person we work with has such resilience, creativity, and potential, it's not difficult to enjoy time spent with the youth and celebrate their successes with them.
I feel lucky to work at a place that provides space for amazing work and growth while valuing me and my work/life balance at the same time.
Pros
Work/life balance, flexibility, commitment to improvement
Cons
Nonprofit salary
Fun work environment, great coworkers, tough job to do
Manager (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 7, 2018
I have been with Cocoon House for two years. Throughout my time here I was given multiple opportunists for growth. I have always had amazing supervisors who give weekly check in with an open door policy. All the locations have a different kind of culture, all positive, however still all different. This is because each location has a different job to do. So its natural that the culture will be a little different. I encourage applicants to think about that when applying and ask about the culture of the site you are applying for.The staff provide a great work environment and support outside of work as well. The hardest part about Cocoon House is the work we do. This is hard work with a difficult and vulnerable population. Its so important to take care of yourself in this line of work. Be sure you understand what you are getting yourself into as this work is not easy nor is it for everyone. Luckily Cocoon House provides space for employees to do self care and our benefit package allows for massage and acupuncture.I love that my CEO comes to Team Meetings to join in and have a better understanding of the day to day. I have worked for many non-profits, all cant pay enough and all have their pros and cons. Cocoon House is a great first step as an entry level person, you will be provided with tons of training and support as you learn and grow in social services. The turnover is usually a result of something positive such as a better job offer, promotion within the company, or perusing higher education in social service major or master level. If your on the fence, just apply and ask  more... the questions you need answered. Cocoon House has been good to me, promoted me, let me have days off when loved ones died, and has mentored me into the social worker I am today. The company has your back and its a great place to start your career.  less
Pros
lots of upward mobility in the company, family type atmosphere, provide computer/phone when necessary for your position, great managers who are there for you, understanding of a work/life balance.
Cons
entry level pay is low, serve really tough population
Great organization
Residential Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Monroe, WAFebruary 28, 2018
I really have enjoyed working for Cocoon House. They emphasize close co-worker relationships and supervisors make time for staff. They care about the youth and try to make a difference in their lives.
Pros
Great co-workers, great support system, open to ideas
Cons
Pay is low, lots of meetings
I had a great experience at Cocoon House (Maternity Group Home)
Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WAFebruary 22, 2018
I left Cocoon House recently to make big steps towards my future career goal. Working at Cocoon house was extremely fulfilling for me, both personally and professionally. I always felt supported by my supervisors to seek and attend trainings (all paid for by company, and I was also paid to attend the trainings) that were pertinent in my job there but would also benefit my future career choice... they overlap but it's not wholly "social work". Despite working in an environment that can become very stressful I always felt like the people I worked with were all there to support and empower young mothers and their children and that was always the focus of the house.

Of course there are things that I didn't agree with or even questioned but at the end of the day I felt that the team I worked with and the environment of the North House was something that made me look forward to coming into work, and made it all worth it.
Pros
Coworkers, staff education/trainings, supervisions
Cons
pay, pay, pay.
It has potential for improvements
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 20, 2018
It’s a great place for experience, but nothing long term. Have a backup plan in place. High turnover and unfair pay. Proceed with caution and keep your boundaries strong!
Fun and meaningful place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 25, 2018
Cocoon House has a great mission and great programs. I’ve loved having a collaborative and supportive team of coworkers. I’ve been encouraged to have a good work-life balance. I’m impressed by Cocoon House’s willingness to try new things to best serve the youth. Many of the youth served at Cocoon House have many challenges and have experienced much trauma, but are also fun, smart and engaging. The work is meaningful and the impact is immense.
Pros
Supportive work environment, Pto
Cons
Pay similar to other nonprofits
Great organization to gain experience
RAPID REHOUSING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 23, 2018
I love Cocoon House; I'm glad I've moved on, but I am thankful for all I learned while I was there. The folks at the Executive level are great people who are committed to their community and understand the bigger picture of running an organization. They make themselves available to staff at all levels of the organization and will take the time to help you gain the skills and experiences to advance in your field, even if it's not at Cocoon House.
It's a relatively small organization so advancement in-house can require a great deal of patience and persistence, but they do try to reward their employees in a multitude of ways, including PTO, work parties and overall culture. Plus your doing great things in the community for an agency with a great mission and vision.
It can be challenging to maintain great relationships with all staff members at times, but it's important to remember that everyone there has good intentions and are doing the best they can to serve youth who are-or have-experienced very difficult times. Therefore, though you may not always like your coworkers, you can always respect them.
Pros
Experience, Leadership, Pto, Culture, Flexibility
Great cover, no story
Staff (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 6, 2018
Cocoon House is a much needed service that fails its core employees and mission continuously due to a lack of reporting outcomes and ability to manage programs effectively. The pay disparity between administration and floor staff is abysmal. They rely on burning out good staff and knowing they are the only youth energency homelessness services in Everett. They don’t track outcomes or hold themselves accountable to the community but are excellent at selling the agency at fundraising events. Staff retention is a barrier to client success. Outside contractors struggle to have Cocoon House design and implement strength based best practices to meet the client’s needs.
Professionals who has worked in other programs or cities in the Northwest recognize that Cocoon House exists only because of the enormous poverty and chemical dependency barriers in Snohomish County, not because they deserve the grants they receive, but because there is no other agency to compete. It will make you feel good to work there for a year or two if you are a younger person looking to get started in social work.
You’ll learn to forgive yourself after you leave.
They are great at raising money.
Pros
No one cares what you do
Cons
No consistency
Cocoon house was a great place to work. It can be fun, and I felt it to be a very collaborative and fun environment.
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 17, 2017
CH is the perfect “beginners” social work job. It gave me direct experience with teens in crisis, community outreach, and accountability discussions. Management is supportive, creative and open to ideas. A sayin my shift started at 4pm, which could be a hectic time of day where many residents were in transition coming home or going to jobs. Training the residents for ultimate independence was the goal when supporting with dinner and cleaning up. Next medications and activities and processing emotions before bed. What I liked was how each day was consistent, but also vastly different in what role was required of me. It taught me how to set boundaries, be a professional, and how to communicate effectively with other staff and teens.

Want to know more about Cocoon House?

Ask a question
Interesting environment for providing direct services to high risk population
Not disclosed (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 6, 2017
Management was somewhat scattered in its approach. Family/life balance was nearly impossible. Regular expectation to stay beyond 40 hours per week. Duties were routinely changed without explanation or accommodation.

Providing direct services to the youth was a highlight though and a great reason to join the organization. Were I given another opportunity I would turn down the position and instead find a way to volunteer.
Pros
On bus route
Cons
Management style, schedules, changing goals, limited growth
Professionals Committed to Serving Homeless Youth
Administrative Assistant Capital Campaign (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAOctober 25, 2017
Leadership has a strong vision for the organization and does an exceptional job of communicating with staff.

Excellent job of onboarding new employees and acclimating them to the culture of the organization. Monthly staff meetings are informative and build relationships.

Collegues are supportive, very willing to help each other.
Pros
Morale Support
Cons
Multiple locations disrupts communication
Great place for compassionate individuals
Staff (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 8, 2017
Cocoon House has a variety of programs and populations. The culture is a little different in each department. There's a focus on continual improvement and lots of opportunity for employee input. The agency tries to promote from within. Flexibility and a good work ethic are huge assets. Youth needs are not always predictable and the work can be emotionally draining. That said, the successes (big and small) and the joyous times with coworkers make it worth it.
Pros
Youth-focused, warm staff and management, fun placeto work, lots of PTO
Cons
Pay is what you expect for non-profit
True Resource for Vulnerable Youth
Housing Manager (Current Employee) –  ArlingtonNovember 9, 2016
Cocoon House provides Street Outreach, Housing, and Homeless Prevention Services to youth who are runaway, foster youth, or those who are being forced out of home. The people who thrive here really care about being a nurturing presence to youth who have multiple traumas. Staff are encouraged to use their own passions, be they in education, music, art, cooking, etc., to connect with youth and provide them opportunities to grow into well rounded young adults. Co-workers are enthusiastic, have a good sense of humor, and want to be part of a community. Shifts vary from enjoyable to stressful, but Cocoon House offers a lot of PTO and encourages self-care. Many staff use the Wellspring benefits. Open to people who are creative dressers, tatooed, "been there" and may not want to be in a corporate work setting. A place to learn and grow in service to vulnerable kids in our county.
Pros
Several locations (Monroe, Arlington, Everett), Multiple ongoing education opportunities, Staff are given a lot of rein to create programming and come up with solutions to problems, Cocoon House is well-regarded in Sno County and beyond, Welcoming to GLBTQ, Poc, and people who have immigrated to the US
Cons
Most opportunities for advancement depend on having at least Bachelor's degree
Total Joke
On Call (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 30, 2016
Poor treatment of employees who are faced with dealing with youth who are there because they do not think they have to follow the rules at home. No support from staff who will hang you out to dry when one of the youth lie about you. They will bully you into working for them and file a false CPS report on you on a whim.
Well intentioned Non Profit.
Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 24, 2016
Cocoon House provides a great service to youth and the community in Snohomish County. Attended useful training's, worked alongside some of the best and brightest, and genuinely loved this place!

Upper management very progressive and proactive to serve the youth and community. Not much opportunity for advancement, high turnover in lower paying positions, and the typical random bad apple. Would recommend anyone to apply to this agency, great experience and great people.
Pros
low paying, inept dept director
Cons
great cause, unique and fun atmosphere, hands on ceo and upper management, great people
Great Place to Work
Advocate for Homeless & At-Risk Youth (Current Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 15, 2015
Amazing co-workers and great atmosphere. Since I am very passionate about working with this population I enjoy my job. I think the best part of my job is my involvement with Denney Youth Juvenile Justice Center and the youth incarcerated there. I enjoy the court process and being court support for my youth. The hardest part of my job is making everyone a priority. With 30 youth in my caseload it can, at times, be challenging to make each of them my first priority.
Pros
Mobile Case Managment and Outreach to get out of the office
Cons
Pay
Worked with solid caring staff
Support Staff/Arts & Enrichment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 12, 2013
Monitored daily youth activities, learning about the teen culture. Reality about what these kids went through was tough to learn, but was able to enjoy their successes through the program.
Pros
Meals were provided
Cons
solid work schedule, took breaks when we could squeez them in
Very understanding and fun team
U-Turn Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Everett WaJuly 29, 2013
I have always felt supported in my position and love the atmospere
Fun work place
Prep-Cook- Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 13, 2013
I liked helping out the cocoon house and becoming the house's cook. I didnt really learn alot consitering I am used to cooking for people alot. The hardest part was trying to keep everyone out of the kitchen when I was cooking, although it was enjoyable making people happy.