CODA, Inc. Employee Reviews

Very stressful
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2019
Management may as well not be there. I have no idea where my supervisor is, except on vacation, a lot.
Employees are rude and "clickish". I cannot wait to get out of here.
Counselors don't seem to care if their clients relapse, just more money...
Pros
Cons
Get used to Jr High again
work experience
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2019
Great place to work.

inclusive.

throughout my work experience at coda, I have been able to learn a great deal of new skill sets when working in mental health.
It's not great, as evidenced by low morale and high turnover
INTEGRATED CLINICAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORDecember 22, 2018
If you are ok with putting your head down and letting management make arbitrary and often poor decisions long enough to get licensed and get out, go for it. They do not listen to or care about the ideas, experiences and opinions of the people actually doing the work with the clients, it's all about the money and it shows. Turnover is high and morale is low. They do not pay well and they don't give raises, even when you earn your licensure. They don't care about keeping staff, which ultimately hurts the clients who are constantly having to see new people.
Pros
Decent time off
Cons
low pay, poor management, low morale, high turnover
Poorly Run at the Upper Levels
Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 16, 2018
Poor management rules the roost at CODA. While a lot of the employees who work directly with clients are wonderful, hard working people, the executive level is horrifyingly out of touch. This would be fine if they stayed on the second floor, but they have a tendency come down to fire their way through anyone who raises a question, leave those left without any guidance, and then wonder why morale is in utter tatters. Since no one, save for a select few, are allowed to speak to the board, I doubt there's any understanding about how bad things have become.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Bad healthcare coverage, long hours, unstable management practices
Poor Company to work for
Medical (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 12, 2018
CODA is driven by the monetary side of healthcare. Unfortunately, most of the clients are the ones that suffer. Staff is strong willed and compassionate about the community but upper management is not.
Difficult job but fun coworkers
ALCOHOL AND DRUG COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 25, 2018
This position is not for the faint of heart. Very busy and unpredictable schedule, and lack of clarity as to how things are supposed to be done. I really enjoyed working with most of my clients, but it is difficult to meet productivity standards and perform all of the behind the scenes work at the same time.
Pros
great coworkers, interesting work, benefits
Cons
lack of training
Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2018
I would never work for this company again. They do not promote within, they do not take staff complaints of bullying by other staff seriously. Horrible company to work for.
Coda
Primary Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 22, 2018
We started our day at 7am. We had a meeting with the clients and they began their day with doing chores and attending individual sessions and groups. My co-workers and i had a pretty good relationship at work only. My immediate supervisor was amazing and did not micro manage because he trusted us. The best part of the job was being able to see clients make progress in their recovery and make changes to their lives.
Pros
management
Cons
financial
Excellent Agency
Residential Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 7, 2018
While CODA is primarily a A&D recovery agency, I had the pleasure of working within one of the few mental health programs. I had the best supervisor in my professional experience that was supportive and willing to assist me with developing my skills in clinical interventions, documentation, and supervision.
Exciting opportunities to learn and grow
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 13, 2018
CODA, Inc. offers multiple opportunities for folks in all positions to grow. CODA has a QA department that presents on the progress of QA initiatives and improvements.
CODA recently offered all employees a free library with courses in clinician and medical areas.
I feel that I have opportunities to grow here fast
Pros
Free access to the online university of courses, $20 per month for medical, transfer opportunities
Cons
Understaffed chronically
Great Starting Out Position to Make a Difference
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 10, 2018
Completed outreach work with individuals who were justice involved. Started off by training in their intake department, completing assessments with folks who were new to CODA. This I enjoyed, though it was fairly fast paced. Lots of details after the initial assessment was completed that unfortunately got lost along the way. But, ultimately I enjoyed this job and it was good knowing you were helping others. After an unusually lengthy training period, I went on to do outreach work at the jails. There I had lots of freedom, decent (though not great) pay and the ability to really do a range of tasks as a social worker each day. Anything from assessing an individual at the jail, attending a meeting with probation officers or driving a client from residential treatment to get labs taken to determine medication eligibility. Unfortunately the position was new and I did not get the supervision I'd hoped for. Regardless, compared to my current job, this job was a fantastic "starting out" position. Ultimately left to pursue position working in inpatient mental health setting and miss it quite a lot! A select few humorous co-workers also made this job worth while.
Pros
Somewhat relaxed work environment, decent pay, ability to help others
Cons
Somewhat disorganized at times, high work load that is can be fact paced
Okay for starting out
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 7, 2018
Good first job for mental health but mediocre pay and lack of support from management makes it difficult. Not a lot of training, mainly learn as you go type of environment. Lots of downtime and also miscommunication between staff and management.
Pros
Steady hours, good experience, downtime
Cons
No training, low pay, ineffective and unsupportive management at times
CODA is great place to develop skills and teach others
Executive Director/Instructor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 4, 2018
Coda allows instructors to utilize skills and talents for others with flexible schedules allowing instructors to create own ability to increase salary.
Pros
flexible schedules and family environment
Cons
Little pay due to not for profit
n/a
Integrated Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORApril 27, 2018
The outpatient program needed more staff support. The case loads were too high. The pay and benefits were not enough for the amount of work we did. There was a high turn over rate of staff.
Good place to work and working environment
Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2018
Very good place to work and the working environment is wonderful even thought there is less chance of understanding if you make an error in judgement or make a mistake while handling a client or under stress for any personal reason such as medical or mental health reasons.
Pros
Wonderful staff to work with and working environment
Cons
Lack of understanding when it comes to staff making errors
Good growth of dancing
Member of contemporary dance ensemble (Former Employee) –  Williamstown, MAFebruary 1, 2018
This was a good place for me to grow as a dancer. I really love the collaborative environment that the teachers foster and the way I am able to express myself through the movement.
Review of experinece at CODA
ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 19, 2018
CODA stood for Comprehensive Options for Drug Addicts. We were a methadone dispensary, counseling and medial center. It was a very stressful atmosphere, was not well run or managed. The clinic has since shut down,
Pros
early hours
Cons
heroin addicts
Interesting
Member (Former Employee) –  Clemson, SCDecember 22, 2017
I had the pleasure of gaining experience with diverse members that did not have the ability to comprehend other cultures and involve with other selective groups.
Coda
Associate Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 18, 2017
Great place to get experience. Would recommend as a first job in the drug and alcohol field. I was afforded much opportunity to practice facilitating groups and writing treatment plans.
Coda Housing Specialist
Housing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Happy Valley, ORNovember 28, 2017
Autonomy, flexible hours, good benefits, training opportunities.
Learned from others I worked with. Supportive co-workers, good management. good work/life balance encouraged.
Pros
good vacation time
Cons
not as competitive salary as it could be.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CODA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight