CODA, Inc.

CODA, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States58 reviews
I really enjoyed working for CODA the work itself was rewarding and felt good knowing I’m helping others change and better their lives. I can also relate to the residents here as I once was one myself and have struggled in many of the same ways these clients do. It’s nice to work with people whom you share similar experiences with.
This is not a company of inclusivity. There is a disproportionate power structure of management over medical. There is no respect or honoring of privacy; gossip abounds within upper management, middle management, and staff. There is no substantive training; there is no sharing of knowledge. The hiring of inexperienced counselors and middle management is a detriment to those people seeking recovery or sustaining recovery. The withholding of information pertinent to job performance is incomprehensible, detrimental, and directly affects patient care. Cronyism is the process for advancement with the company.
Managers and staff have more problems than the clients, I feel like I was hired just to be made a scapegoat, absolutely unfair treatment. I’ve never worked anywhere where there was so much backstabbing. They will run you ragged with absolutely no recognition, but lavish praise on someone who does less
The company provides a service to individuals in crisis, however it fails to support the frontline staff. I also spend about 4 to 5 hours in meetings in a week with the constant pressure to “get my productivity up”.
Good pay, good management. Very friendly work enviroment with no experience needed. Clients are typically friendly and the job keeps you engaged very well.
They throw you into the position with very little training and preparation, the management was a joke and they took forever to get me my final check..
For the type of work there is little advancement. But it's a great place to start! Good for experience for any beginner. It's not the big leagues so don't expect major pay.
I worked for CODA for a while with a great record of work ethic, timeliness, and all around a great employee. I went above and beyond, out of my way to make sure everything that was asked of me was done. One little slip caused a termination. They are not fair on any terms, make you do dirty work outside of your job title, and treat you like you’re nothing.
Management consists of people that do not care and are two faced.

Do not work for this company if you care about your own well being and mental health. It will start to drive your mental health and anxiety up the roof.
A typical day of work was fun and exciting working with the parents and children. I learned how domestic violence can destroy families. I learned how to be organized through management. I saw some differences in the culture and their languages also the different types of foods that were prepared. The most difficult part of the job was listening and seeing their domestic situations. The most enjoyable part was seeing their accomplishments and progression back into a better life.
Pros
Free meals also helped prepare and plan them with the parents.
Cons
Monitoring the violator of their situations.
This organization's leaders are not consistent. The communication is non existent and I never felt valued. I did not feel as if my job were secure from day one. They are a large organization with a tremendous amount of patients in OP, housing, and Residential programs. Residential brings in a large amount of money because they have each bed filled everyday. The staff turnover is ridiculous, and the residental program brings in a good amount of money and the Addiction Counselor's make $3 dollars less than other agencies where they could be doing the exact same job making more. For example they pay their clinicians starting pay is $14.50 per hour. The salaried staff have not been granted a raise in over 5 years and there are some excellent, hard working staff at CODA, that are not appreciated. There are multiple times each week where clients are constantly bringing in drugs sneaking out of treatment in the middle of the night and nobody notices. There are serious fights that break out at least once a month and often times the client has severe injuries that require stitches and or staples in order to close their wound. Staff morale is down in each of the 5 different areas within the residential facilities.

If you are considering a job with CODA I would look everywhere, and ensure you are not missing out on an amazing profession with many rewards. You are truly making a change when you are helping the population CODA and other Alcohol and Drug Treatment centers. you are assisting clients in their process to to reunite with their children, find jobs, get clean and
 - more...
Pros
free meals, Research department, the clients
Cons
compensation, training, upper management and the executive team.No clinical supervision only administration, between different departments.. most of the clients are dual, it feels like a hostile work environment, huge divide within the organization and its multiple sites
The staff is very 'catty' and can't stop talking about other staff and clients behind their backs. Even management shares information about their other employees to employees in the same job to poke fun at "how dumb" they are. Management and HR could care less about the harassment employees face from other employees. Stay away from the Happy Valley (Clackamas) clinic.

The turnover rate is high. Counselors have case loads of 60-100 patients and are not given extra help from CODA because they refuse to high more counselors. Clients get the short end of the stick because they have to wait 2-3 weeks to reschedule with their counselors.

Pay is mediocre. Most employees here: administrative and counselors work two jobs to make ends meet.
Pros
Helping the clients make it manageable.
Cons
Organizational culture, pay, and management
Outpatient Clinic - Portland
I found this work setting to be enjoyable, engaging, and driven by good employees with strong knowledge and skill sets. The day to day work is both rapid and eclectic (running groups, counseling sessions, treatment meetings, crises, documentation, etc). This a good place to experience contemporary A&D treatment if you are able to handle the pace.

Nevertheless, this setting struggles with inconsistency and lack of resources. A lot of great people work here, but many leave quickly, primarily due to low wages. The organization's inability to compensate workers at times results in chaotic and disorganized patient care.

Working at this clinic will provide plenty of opportunities to enhance clinical skills and knowledge, but expectations regarding compensation, quality of life, and career development should be kept to a minimum.
For the last year and a half CODA has gone downhill, hostile, and unhealthy work environment. This was not like this until they hired different manager
You're indispensable to management. Staff is horrible you might as well be in high school again High turnover rate always understaffed but still required to do the work of two people.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Dont get a job here
The one star is for the amazing employees I worked with.There are a lot of amazing employees at CODA but upper management could care less about their actual work, dedication, ideas, etc. They are in the clouds without regard for any of their employees. Employees are simply a number. High turnover due to a High School drama/backstabbing/tattling atmosphere in addition to no raises, no recognition for work done, and absolutely no regard for incentivizing employees to stay and better themselves. Proposals of great value and necessity go to upper management and die. Any ideas to progress any area of CODA are disregarded unless it's theirs. They have no idea the actual ground floor work that's done so how can they possibly have these ideas? Upper management will lie to your face if it means bettering themselves and will throw anyone under the bus to do the same. This trickles down within the staff and thus anyone who isn't this way doesn't make it there.Terrible place to work I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Terrible Upper Management
Management may as well not be there. I have no idea where my supervisor is, except on vacation, a lot.
Employees are rude and "clickish". I cannot wait to get out of here.

Counselors don't seem to care if their clients relapse, just more money...
Pros
Cons
Get used to Jr High again
Great place to work.

inclusive.

throughout my work experience at coda, I have been able to learn a great deal of new skill sets when working in mental health.
If you are ok with putting your head down and letting management make arbitrary and often poor decisions long enough to get licensed and get out, go for it. They do not listen to or care about the ideas, experiences and opinions of the people actually doing the work with the clients, it's all about the money and it shows. Turnover is high and morale is low. They do not pay well and they don't give raises, even when you earn your licensure. They don't care about keeping staff, which ultimately hurts the clients who are constantly having to see new people.
Pros
Decent time off
Cons
low pay, poor management, low morale, high turnover
Poor management rules the roost at CODA. While a lot of the employees who work directly with clients are wonderful, hard working people, the executive level is horrifyingly out of touch. This would be fine if they stayed on the second floor, but they have a tendency come down to fire their way through anyone who raises a question, leave those left without any guidance, and then wonder why morale is in utter tatters. Since no one, save for a select few, are allowed to speak to the board, I doubt there's any understanding about how bad things have become.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Bad healthcare coverage, long hours, unstable management practices
CODA is driven by the monetary side of healthcare. Unfortunately, most of the clients are the ones that suffer. Staff is strong willed and compassionate about the community but upper management is not.
Need salaries increases for all staff due to the cost of living increases. Management needs to address the issues with the Union for staff that either threaten other staff in any way verbally or otherwise. The work environment need not be so hostile.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at CODA, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.6
2.8
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
4.2Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight