Cogent Communications Employee Reviews

Good place to get experience
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2018
This is a good place for near entry level network technicians to gain experience and get comfortable with working with devices and NOC culture.
If you're not from Washington DC they don't really have very many options or empathy for quality of life issues like long, frustrating commutes to get to and from work when they have full capability of remote work.
If you don't take the metro which is about a 10-15 minute walk away, be prepared to spend at least $275 a month just to park to work, and no this isn't compensated. You're expected to work overtime to compensate for the price of getting to work.
Sometimes their lack of compromise costs them hardworking employees and some decisions seem counterproductive.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, experience
Cons
High turn over rate, Not the best benefits around, quality of life issues depending on distance
Did not deliver on interview promises
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 18, 2018
Was told I would be considered for management as soon as there was an opening. As soon as I was hired, they told me I had to wait one year to be considered. Also, was sold on being able to work remotely. Wound up having to go into the office 100% of the time even though I was above quota.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Salary, commission, meetings, o0ffice requirements
Small company, no longer in operation
ART DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  CogentDecember 7, 2018
Small company, no longer in operation.
The salary was terrible. The staff were nice though. I could barely get by on the money and decided to change career after this role.
Working at Cogent
Director of Service Delivery (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2018
Long hours, but working on an advanced network is exciting and great for my career. Cogent is a trendsetter and has state of the art technology. Meeting customer requirement was fulfilling
Pros
learning new technologhy
Cons
Call center environment the moral is kind of low.
National Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 27, 2018
Call center, micro managed environment. Not typical sales job. Required to make a minimum of 40 cold calls per day. Reps do not meet clients face to face all sales are closed over the phone. Management is involved in every step of the sales process. Very high turn over.
Pros
Work schedule 7a-4p closed on weekends.
Cons
Data Center office no windows or flexibilty.
Very cut throat, no work life balance, out of touch upper management
National Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2018
Terrible. I never worked less than 10 hours a day. The culture is to skip lunch breaks and lie about it to HR. They make you travel to company events with $25 a day food allotment in major cities. The CEO himself stated "I don't understand why everyone wants to use their PTO if they're not already well past their quota" on my first ever conference call. Absolutely zero training for those unfamiliar with their product suites......the only training are hand holding "sales" training events where they attempt to teach you to sell like a used appliance salesperson with fresh faced acne who may or may not be old enough for a drivers license. In all fairness the base salary is competitive.....although the commission is terrible, especially while every other office poaches your clients.
Pros
Decent base salary
Cons
Every other thing you can possibly imagine
Looking forward to moving to the next level.
Global Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2018
Need a much more challenging job with outside the box thinking.
I like to be pushed to become a better performer. I am a forward thinking individual who works with customers to provide a cutting edge solution looking towards the future.
Pros
Decent footprint
Cons
Bad Management
Don't work here
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 3, 2018
I was hired as an Inside Sales rep, months later they decided to change the entire role to Account Managers, giving us a higher quota and more work with no incentives or increase of salary. Management is VERY poor, they are the main problem of this company. Unsuccessful managers that have been with the company for more than 2 years and haven't been able to reach their quotas try to blame this on their reps when clearly THEY are the issue. The company really sucks and I would not recommend anyone to work here. If you want to work in a Telecommunications environment with a good pay and better incentives, I'd apply for the ones that are known instead of Cogent.
Pros
Cons
Management, poor pay for what you do
Cogent Set up to Fail
National Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2018
Cogent is one of the worst companies to work for. You are lied to from the start during hiring and set up to fail right after. Cogent only cares about their original sales people. Not those coming onboard.
Cons
Healthcare. Work life balance doesn’t exist. Horrible environment.
Not The Place To Succeed in The Southeast
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2018
Leadership runs with the mantra of, "do as I say, not as I do-- oh, and I play favorites."
Leadership's most notable quote, "I love me some me."
Leader always thinks it's in command and control.
They are convinced that employees who don't want to work 60-hour workweeks are slackers.
It puts all its energy into making certain that the numbers come up right, even if it means changing the numbers.
Think of themselves as the star performers who can fix any problem by yanking back authority and responsibility.
It takes the credit when things go well and points the finger when things go poorly.
Zero support. Leadership goes between GA and FL, but only actually works 2-3 hours per day. Comes in late, leaves early for flights. Never available for questions
Pros
free soda
Cons
zero parking/travel reimbursement, office looks like scene fr: "The Shining", new people won't succeed because leadership guards veterans who don't work for their sales

Want to know more about Cogent Communications?

Ask a question
Micro management and tremendous focus on vanity metrics
National Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 16, 2018
Cogent leadership has a plan. It works for them and for the stock holders. Unfortunately that comes at he expense of employee satisfaction and retention.
Pros
Simple plan and focus
Cons
Micro management with ridiculous focus on statistics
Stay Away From This Company
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Lack of real management. Red Tape. Too many cooks.
too may contradicting directions because of certain peoples personal interests.
teams forced to compete against each other.
no real grasp of target market from marketing leaders.
no innovation...forced to do same tactics and more repetition hoping to get a better result (def of insanity)
an HR that fails at keeping a safe and …
Pros
Free coffee and and soda
Cons
Poor corporate culture, overworks employees and easy to burnout, lack of job training and support, higher than normal turn-over rate.
Harassed and bullied constantly
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 3, 2018
Would never recommend working here. Most unethical company I have ever worked for. I was promised certain benefits when I accepted the position, then they took them away within 2 months. I was bullied, harassed and even stalked by my manager. Scary place.
Pros
Cons
Everything - no work life balance, respect or gratification
Productive and educational place to work
INSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 15, 2018
A lot of training was provided, daily meetings, weekly goals, ability to advance and re-locate. Management was always available to offer guidance and advice.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Office was located in a warehouse
Great Place to work
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2018
Great Place to work and the management is good. I like that my supervisor teaches me and helps me gain valuable knowledge.
I have learned a great deal.
Poor management practices
Migrations Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 14, 2018
Job was changed within 2 weeks with more responsibility and no increase in pay. Customers did not appear to be important to the company and inexperienced management
Pros
Cons
poor management
n/a
GLOBAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2018
Bad Leadership, Company need to change the culture the people would stick around a lot longer. Change the quota expectation since voice is not an option.
Pros
Cons
Bad Leadership
Fast Paced Enviroment
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2017
Larger company with nibble capabilities to make changes as needed. Very positive culture.Work life balance if you chose. Standard raises and your success is based on your work ethics.
Pros
Positive Enviroment
Cons
Nothing out of the ordinary for any company
Fast paced work-environment. Loved the work.
Customer Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2018
Great experience and great work environment. Loved every minute of my time spent at cogent. I learned so much in a very short period of time because of my management and co-workers.
Pros
Very exciting work environment.
Intense environment!
DATA CENTER MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
Not a job for older workers or people with children, Very high turn over rate. Must be constantly available, willing to travel often and respond overnight. Drastically under paid for the amount of responsibilities you have.
Pros
Constantly learning and Intense responsibility.
Cons
24 hours on call, not much room for growth, and under appreciative.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cogent Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

1.2Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight