College Chefs LLC Employee Reviews

Workplace okay
Souls chef (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 13, 2018
Management doesn’t care about you. Your coworkers talk behind your back. Total lack of communication between management and your work life schedule. Other than that no bad.
Pros
Your off when the school is off
Cons
Pay, sick time, benefits
I will never work for them again.
chef (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 10, 2018
Management was horrid. They expect you to make 5star food on a dollar menu budget. You do not get reimbursed for mileage if you have to take a trip to grab something the kitchen needs. If it was not sold through the supplier or the small local bulk food store we could not buy it unless we wanted to spend our own money. We also were not reimbursed. Good luck trying to cook any type of ethnic meal. Management very one sided and never wanted to hear what the employee said. They do things behind your back and do not keep you in the loop.
Save your self unless you are a kiss butt and you will do great!
Pros
I ate tons of food.
Cons
everything else
Excellent Internship Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 15, 2017
My internship experience with College Chefs was absolutely incredible. The company encourages its employees to express themselves whenever possible. Management is willing and eager to mentor and teach their employees on any topic. College Chefs knows its customers well, both individually and at large. The company prides itself on the quality of customer service provided. I enjoyed my experience so much that I was upset when it was time for my internship to conclude. Overall, an awesome, people-oriented company that I would work for again in an instant.
Pros
Huge emphasis on customer service, Employees are encouraged to express themselves, Excellent knowledge of their customer base, Super friendly staff, Great company culture, Lots of advancement opportunities
Over worked underpaid
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 16, 2017
This company was not the worst thing ever but definitely needed improvement. I was let go based on the company's inability to give me a correct number of people in the house which gave me the wrong budget and my inability to meet budget was why I was let go. Good company bad management
Pros
Free meals, creativity encouraged
Cons
Low compensation with high expectations, bad management
Too many in management
Personal Chef (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 25, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job while with College Chefs. I however was not too fond of management. There were too many and no one knew what the other was doing. Communication would get skewed because of this. I loved everything else about the job.
Great for chefs
Chef (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2017
This is a great company for chefs as most of the people that you will work with have a lot of experience in the restaurant world or at least a real food background lets just say. My direct manager was chef for a country club for over a decade. I was skeptical coming out of a restaurant setting and seeing a company in "fraternity sorority food service".

Some of the stuff we deal with is silly but at the end of the day so long as I cook great food this job is a cakewalk. It pays pretty well and the hours are great. The time off was a first for me in my career.

As far as the cuisine that is one of the best part of the job in that I write my own menu every week. Not gonna lie it does get stressful to "keep up" but at end of the day it is what drew me to this position in the first place along with the great hours.

Management is cool in that if you are on time and responsible they will stay off of your back. They will check orders to make sure you are not serving boxed food which I can respect.
Pros
hours, vacation time, menu control
Excellent employees horrible supervisors
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 22, 2018
If they cared about their employees as much as they do their clients it would be no problem but they don’t. They don’t care why you had to be off of work even if it’s family reasons. I only worked there for a year but I can tell you this much they don’t take care of their employees at all
Pros
Off when the school is off
Cons
Inconsistent
Great Experience
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Savoy, ILFebruary 27, 2016
Company supports the chef very well and provides good feedback. Supervisors are super easy to communicate with and good people.
Pros
Great hours, menu freedom, company recognizes it's chefs
Cons
No summer work, health benefits are better this year but still just okay
Very chill and laid back for a chef. Fun and easy in many ways.
Chef (Current Employee) –  IndianaDecember 13, 2017
my experience as a chef in restaurants for about a decade prior to working for this company set the stage for this to be a very easy job relative to that segment of the industry. the students are overall pretty easy to deal with and i get to try a lot of different cuisines as i get to write the menu and can almost do anything i want.
Pros
laid back, fun atmosphere, menu control, paid time off
Cons
students are fun to cook for but their cleanliness can be bothersome
Fun company and cool work environment
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 17, 2015
Excellent company to work for overall. The company culture is top notch and this is a great job for a Chef that is passionate about food yet doesn't want to be micromanaged nor forced on a company menu. College Chefs is known as the quality leader in an industry filled with low cost competitors that are downright pathetic in many cases -- this definitely shows in the company culture/swagger although I don't think management is arrogant in any way.
Pros
Cool job, great management team, freedom to write own menus
Cons
Health insurance used to be better before Obamacare.
Great Job, Fun Company, Awesome Quality of Life
Chef (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 18, 2015
I've worked with College Chefs for several years now. I love being able to create menus staying involved with food, but having the ability to work during the day as opposed to the notorious nights, weekends and holidays that are usual in the food industry. They have a great management team that is really there to support the staff and to offer ideas. All of them are trained chefs which helps if someone isn't able to make it to work. I love being able to spend time with my family and still work within my passion of food.
Pros
Bankers hours, lots of paid time off, creative freedom, direct contact with the customers. I get to see and hear the appreciation daily.
Cons
Unemployed during the summer, yet College Chefs has found me summer employment outside of the company.
4.5 stars at least
Chef (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 13, 2016
I get in around 8 or 8:30 and am usually out of the kitchen by 5:30. I feel that the work load is reasonable and somedays are much easier than others depending on what I'm cooking and how far ahead prepped. I feel that I have learned a lot as a chef as I get to try new things everyday. Management is easy to deal with and pleasant but sometimes seems like they're very busy. The hardest part of the job is creating a menu that fits with a tight budget but writing menus is also one of the best parts of the job--its much easier now than when I started.
Pros
cook real food, menu control, great hours
Cons
budget was tough to hit at first
Productive and caring management team
Intern (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 27, 2017
My College Chefs Internship gives me freedom with my schedule while guiding me in the right direction. The team wants to help you become better at whatever it is you're doing for both yourself and the company. Communication is amazing and my questions never go unanswered or are answered vaguely. Working with people who love their jobs so much makes me proud and excited to have this internship.
This company was awful
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2017
I have worked for this company only 2 weeks and absolutely hated it, it was very stressful they dont care about you they have high expectations.......
Pros
Free food
Best Job Ever!!!
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 5, 2017
I love my job, and would not say anything bad about College Chefs. The opportunity that they have afforded me cannot be matched. The work environment is great. The management staff is fantastic, and extremely helpful.
Great Chef job with great hours
Chef (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2016
Plenty of time outside of the kitchen and over all this job was very easy but fun. My direct manager or boss was very easy to get a long with and mostly let me do my own thing which was nice change for me. Would highly recommend as I get the feeling management actually cares about its chefs being happy.
Pros
hours, freedom, management
Cons
could make more slaving in a restaurant gig
Great for self starters
Chef (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 17, 2015
I was tired of working late nights and weekends, this job doesn't require that, most of the time. After getting settled in at the house I work at and getting to know the people I cook for, the job was rewarding. As long as you cook good food and pay attention to the service needs the supervisor doesn't micro-manage you. If you like running a kitchen without an on sight boss, you will love this gig.
Pros
autonomous working conditions, laid back company
Cons
Budget can be kind of tight
great job in my first year
chef (Current Employee) –  MissouriApril 26, 2017
enjoyed working this job as it is a great change from the normal grinding kitchen work. like that i was told i could write my own menus and i actually can. love to cook my food and that is huge.
Pros
freedom, stress level low, cool supervisors
Cons
could make more working the grind but this way better hourly not even close
Former Chef
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 20, 2016
enjoyed this job very much and miss the amazing hours and cool management. I rarely worked more then 50 hours each week and usually worked less typically during the day. I think management genuinely cares for the chefs and really strives to be a great "chef" company.
Great Chef Job
Chef (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 13, 2016
I love to cook and have freedom to cook unlike any other job ever. Management is easy to deal with although the bar is set pretty high so I am always on my toes.
Pros
Freedom and get to cook
Cons
Starting up was a bit rocky but smooth since then

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College Chefs LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3