College Chefs LLC Employee Reviews

I will never work for them again.
chef (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 10, 2018
Management was horrid. They expect you to make 5star food on a dollar menu budget. You do not get reimbursed for mileage if you have to take a trip to grab something the kitchen needs. If it was not sold through the supplier or the small local bulk food store we could not buy it unless we wanted to spend our own money. We also were not reimbursed. Good luck trying to cook any type of ethnic meal. Management very one sided and never wanted to hear what the employee said. They do things behind your back and do not keep you in the loop.
Save your self unless you are a kiss butt and you will do great!
Pros
I ate tons of food.
Cons
everything else
Don't do it
Chef (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 15, 2019
Real Chef's BEWARE! This job is innacurately promoted. You will be using the cheapest ingredients to fulfill your low grade nursing home food budget. You will be dealing with bad management and House directors who think they can do your job better than you and will micro manage you. The clients will complain about the quality of food and service even though that is all your budget will allow. You will cook chicken, pork and ground beef in continual repetition. You will have no say in who is hired and they will not support you when you need someone fired. You will be blamed for all that goes wrong even when it has nothing to do with you. You will not be transparently paid for vacation as it is conditional. This is a coercive measure this company employs to make you keep serving as their glorified lunch lady. If they fire you, which they like to do, they will demand you pay them back. READ OTHER REVIEWS BEFORE YOU CONSIDER TALKING WITH THESE PEOPLE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Pros
The day you quit
Cons
None unless you want to be a washed up lunch lady
Workplace okay
Souls chef (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 13, 2018
Management doesn’t care about you. Your coworkers talk behind your back. Total lack of communication between management and your work life schedule. Other than that no bad.
Pros
Your off when the school is off
Cons
Pay, sick time, benefits
Excellent employees horrible supervisors
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 22, 2018
If they cared about their employees as much as they do their clients it would be no problem but they don’t. They don’t care why you had to be off of work even if it’s family reasons. I only worked there for a year but I can tell you this much they don’t take care of their employees at all
Pros
Off when the school is off
Cons
Inconsistent
Very chill and laid back for a chef. Fun and easy in many ways.
Chef (Current Employee) –  IndianaDecember 13, 2017
my experience as a chef in restaurants for about a decade prior to working for this company set the stage for this to be a very easy job relative to that segment of the industry. the students are overall pretty easy to deal with and i get to try a lot of different cuisines as i get to write the menu and can almost do anything i want.
Pros
laid back, fun atmosphere, menu control, paid time off
Cons
students are fun to cook for but their cleanliness can be bothersome
Too many in management
Personal Chef (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 25, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job while with College Chefs. I however was not too fond of management. There were too many and no one knew what the other was doing. Communication would get skewed because of this. I loved everything else about the job.
Excellent Internship Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 15, 2017
My internship experience with College Chefs was absolutely incredible. The company encourages its employees to express themselves whenever possible. Management is willing and eager to mentor and teach their employees on any topic. College Chefs knows its customers well, both individually and at large. The company prides itself on the quality of customer service provided. I enjoyed my experience so much that I was upset when it was time for my internship to conclude. Overall, an awesome, people-oriented company that I would work for again in an instant.
Pros
Huge emphasis on customer service, Employees are encouraged to express themselves, Excellent knowledge of their customer base, Super friendly staff, Great company culture, Lots of advancement opportunities
Productive and caring management team
Intern (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 27, 2017
My College Chefs Internship gives me freedom with my schedule while guiding me in the right direction. The team wants to help you become better at whatever it is you're doing for both yourself and the company. Communication is amazing and my questions never go unanswered or are answered vaguely. Working with people who love their jobs so much makes me proud and excited to have this internship.
Over worked underpaid
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INMarch 16, 2017
This company was not the worst thing ever but definitely needed improvement. I was let go based on the company's inability to give me a correct number of people in the house which gave me the wrong budget and my inability to meet budget was why I was let go. Good company bad management
Pros
Free meals, creativity encouraged
Cons
Low compensation with high expectations, bad management
Good Concept bad management
head chef (Former Employee) –  LSU CampusJanuary 13, 2019
It was my second year for returning, they threw me in a house that some other guy they hired wasn't working out. They expected me to be able to make a house happy that's already mad because College Chefs fired the chef they had the previous year. The house made it clear that they wanted the old chef back. I was in a sinking ship and the only thing the company does is send another guy to resale a dream package that they sell to these houses but don't provide big enough budgets so we can't actually give the people what they are selling them. It was the most stressful time I have ever had in a job. I even broke down crying to my supervisor that I wasn't a good fit for the house. I was told to hang in there that things would get better. Well things didn't. There was nothing that I could have done to make that house director happy. They work me to the last day of the semester and then I'm told the house director doesn't want me back, which I was happy not to go back to this house but the company docks my pay and puts me in a position way under my qualifications. A couple of days ago, I receive a pay back notice from my holiday pay I had gotten during the Christmas break for my full salary that i didn't even receive. This company is so under managed. They pay their supervisors to travel from campus to campus, their plane tickets, gas, meals, etc. but can't even pay their employees fair wages. I was expected to remain on a salary from cooking for a house of 30-50 people daily (the smallest account they had on campus) to cooking for the biggest account they had. Not to mention the "health  more... insurance" they have is not a common health insurance so your not in very big network and they don't actually cover much of the bill. I slice my finger open while working in my very stressful job and had to go get stitches and now I'm stuck with a very high bill because my "insurance" didn't cover it because it wasn't in network when the receptionist was on the phone for a good hour trying to find out if it was in network being told that they were. Yea they send you the workers compensation paperwork but do they help with that not at all.  less
Pros
"paid time off"
Cons
poor management, low pay, stressful
4.5 stars at least
Chef (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 13, 2016
I get in around 8 or 8:30 and am usually out of the kitchen by 5:30. I feel that the work load is reasonable and somedays are much easier than others depending on what I'm cooking and how far ahead prepped. I feel that I have learned a lot as a chef as I get to try new things everyday. Management is easy to deal with and pleasant but sometimes seems like they're very busy. The hardest part of the job is creating a menu that fits with a tight budget but writing menus is also one of the best parts of the job--its much easier now than when I started.
Pros
cook real food, menu control, great hours
Cons
budget was tough to hit at first
Fun company and cool work environment
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 17, 2015
Excellent company to work for overall. The company culture is top notch and this is a great job for a Chef that is passionate about food yet doesn't want to be micromanaged nor forced on a company menu. College Chefs is known as the quality leader in an industry filled with low cost competitors that are downright pathetic in many cases -- this definitely shows in the company culture/swagger although I don't think management is arrogant in any way.
Pros
Cool job, great management team, freedom to write own menus
Cons
Health insurance used to be better before Obamacare.
Great for self starters
Chef (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 17, 2015
I was tired of working late nights and weekends, this job doesn't require that, most of the time. After getting settled in at the house I work at and getting to know the people I cook for, the job was rewarding. As long as you cook good food and pay attention to the service needs the supervisor doesn't micro-manage you. If you like running a kitchen without an on sight boss, you will love this gig.
Pros
autonomous working conditions, laid back company
Cons
Budget can be kind of tight
Great Job, Fun Company, Awesome Quality of Life
Chef (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 18, 2015
I've worked with College Chefs for several years now. I love being able to create menus staying involved with food, but having the ability to work during the day as opposed to the notorious nights, weekends and holidays that are usual in the food industry. They have a great management team that is really there to support the staff and to offer ideas. All of them are trained chefs which helps if someone isn't able to make it to work. I love being able to spend time with my family and still work within my passion of food.
Pros
Bankers hours, lots of paid time off, creative freedom, direct contact with the customers. I get to see and hear the appreciation daily.
Cons
Unemployed during the summer, yet College Chefs has found me summer employment outside of the company.
Great Chef job with great hours
Chef (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2016
Plenty of time outside of the kitchen and over all this job was very easy but fun. My direct manager or boss was very easy to get a long with and mostly let me do my own thing which was nice change for me. Would highly recommend as I get the feeling management actually cares about its chefs being happy.
Pros
hours, freedom, management
Cons
could make more slaving in a restaurant gig
great job in my first year
chef (Current Employee) –  MissouriApril 26, 2017
enjoyed working this job as it is a great change from the normal grinding kitchen work. like that i was told i could write my own menus and i actually can. love to cook my food and that is huge.
Pros
freedom, stress level low, cool supervisors
Cons
could make more working the grind but this way better hourly not even close
This company was awful
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2017
I have worked for this company only 2 weeks and absolutely hated it, it was very stressful they dont care about you they have high expectations.......
Pros
Free food
Great for chefs
Chef (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 28, 2017
This is a great company for chefs as most of the people that you will work with have a lot of experience in the restaurant world or at least a real food background lets just say. My direct manager was chef for a country club for over a decade. I was skeptical coming out of a restaurant setting and seeing a company in "fraternity sorority food service".

Some of the stuff we deal with is silly but at the end of the day so long as I cook great food this job is a cakewalk. It pays pretty well and the hours are great. The time off was a first for me in my career.

As far as the cuisine that is one of the best part of the job in that I write my own menu every week. Not gonna lie it does get stressful to "keep up" but at end of the day it is what drew me to this position in the first place along with the great hours.

Management is cool in that if you are on time and responsible they will stay off of your back. They will check orders to make sure you are not serving boxed food which I can respect.
Pros
hours, vacation time, menu control
Good company
HEAD CHEF (Current Employee) –  Rolla, MOMarch 20, 2017
Good company to work for. I really enjoy cooking for the faturnity house. The faturnity is very supportive of in a lot of the meals that I create for them. Working the houses themselves are the best part of working for College Chefs
Pros
extra paid time off
Cons
summers off
Best Job Ever!!!
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 5, 2017
I love my job, and would not say anything bad about College Chefs. The opportunity that they have afforded me cannot be matched. The work environment is great. The management staff is fantastic, and extremely helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College Chefs LLC. Our community is ready to answer.