College Hospital Cerritos Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Never a dull moment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 11, 2018
Very fast paced environment. Busy. Good support of coworkers. Hourly pay, not salary. Good experience- really see the DSM-5 come to life. Generally lower paying than other hospitals.
Collaborative Team Nursing Efforts
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 19, 2018
College Hospital Cerritos fosters a team nursing environment, where nurses are assigned specific roles during the shift, rather than specific sets of patients. Overall, it offers an easy start to nursing, if you are looking to become an RN without being too picky. New grads are always welcomed here. Decent benefits are provided. Coworkers are supportive. However, if you want to maintain nursing skills, I would recommend applying elsewhere.
Pros
free holiday meals, decent benefits, team nursing
Cons
cafeteria does not catered to staffs, shortage of nursing supplies, inexperienced management
Fast paced
Inpatient Therapist/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 9, 2018
Fast paced environment with strong coworker bonds. Opportunity to serve the greater community and work with individuals in crisis. Rewarding but challenging work.
Productive, fast-paced work environment; never bored.
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 15, 2018
I truly enjoy working for College Hospital. The management team is very approachable and trusting of my capabilities. They have been such a guiding force in the development of my skills as a manager. I enjoy the day to day activities involved in the position. I get to know the staff and the patients and I am very "hands on". There is no such thing as a typical day, which I enjoy. I like being able to think on my feet. I learned how to balance the love of patient care with the realities of running a business which is sometimes not all that pleasant but a necessary part of the job. This allows us to keep the doors open and enables the team to continue to do the job they do best. Sometimes they do not see the big picture and it is my job to help them understand how their role is vital in the larger picture and how the financial piece is not the enemy (which is the hardest part of the job). The workplace culture in my program is one is which I expect everyone to find something that needs to be done and do it. There is a structure and a hierarchy but I am very team oriented and I expect everyone to pitch in (myself included) from the least experienced to the most experienced. Most of my staff feel like they are important to the program and a vital part of the functioning of the operation. I don't allow anyone to minimize the contribution of anyone else but I do expect everyone to contribute in a significant way, relevant to their skill and their distribution of work.

The work/life balance has been excellent with College Hospital. I have never abused the privilege
  more... but I have been given the freedom, when necessary, to attend to my children, without fearing for my job. I have never shortchanged the company and, in fact, I often take work home or spend extra time, when I am able, to make sure the job is done. I have never felt micromanaged and I have been treated as a professional.

The most challenging part of the job are the financial constraints placed on my ability to hire competent employees and the lack of financial growth regarding my own salary. I manage a team of employees, some of whom earn significantly more than I do.
Pros
Flexibility, diversity, interesting patients, wonderful staff, understanding management team, never boring
Cons
Lack of career and growth potential, salary
it used to feel like a family environment
Social Worker-I/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CANovember 13, 2017
A lot of changes occurred and it was just time for a change. I enjoyed working with the nurses and clients. But not much room for advancement unless your an RN
Supportive Supervisor
Clinical Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CANovember 3, 2017
Supervisor very supportive of the staff. Hard part was sometimes it would be very fast paced and stressful but still manageable. Sometimes it would be hard to work with patients.
Pros
Good Team
Cons
Sometimes stressful
very poor upper management
Registered Psychiatric Nurse/Lead Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAOctober 27, 2017
Co workers were nice but the management were veryi nconsiderate, was not flexible in the work hours and very hard to get a vacation even if you had PTO hours
Psych hospital workplace
RN Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 22, 2017
College Hospital Cerritos is a great place to start for the new RN and to continue on long term if you like psych. There is never a dull moment at this psychiatric hospital and the management team are great on the weekends. The shifts are either 8 hr weekday or 12 hr weekends. I think it would be better if all shifts were 12 hours rotating weekends so there is less burnout. The doctors that work there are great. Unfortunately, they are currently not using any computer system at this time which causes a lot of extra work and leaves the door open for more errors. There is also no union involvement.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
8 hour shifts weekdays, 12 hour weekend shifts
cool
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2017
ou should know, if you're comparing schools, that higher education institutions count credits in different ways. AIU, for instance, measures credits in quarter hours. Other schools measure credits in semester hours. (For comparison's sake, 180 quarter hours equals 120 semester hours.)
Good First Psych job
RN (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 15, 2017
Great experience if you like Psych nursing but not enough to stay longer than a couple of years.Management is helpful depending on the shift you work.
Pros
experience
Cons
job security7
Fun place to work for.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAFebruary 19, 2017
While working at CHC I developed strong leadership skills. It's a place where it is easy to grow. Lots of opportunities to grow as a professional.
Pros
Easy to obtain a job and grow.
Cons
N/a
Fun work place
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAOctober 31, 2016
A very good working environment for me. The hospitals staff were very helpful and very polite. The enviroment is really a good working environment, lots of positive to take.
Workloads can be excessive
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 4, 2016
good place to start a career, opportunities to learn. Some of the doctors are horrible, Acute psych patients can be challenging
Pros
Great workmates, good benefits
Cons
low hr rates, management is not flexible. Partime-you have to work all weekends
Great environment for patients in need of mental healthcare.
Staff Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 4, 2016
I have enjoyed my past 7 months at Cerritos College Hospital. This hospital provides a safe haven for patients seeking mental healthcare. Job duties include passing medications, daily assessments, and ensuring pts. stay in an environment where they can be safe from themselves and others. The hardest part of the job would include trying to chart while keeping an eye on the unit. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the progression of patients health and confidence from the time of admission to discharge.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
paper charting
Busy environment
Registered Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at College Hospital Cerritos consisted of conducting outpatient nutrition consults, assisting in the kitchen with timely clean up and food preparation for the cafeteria and for breakfast, lunch, and dinner patient tray lines.

The hardest part of the job was time management of special catering events, tray line, cafeteria hours, clean up, and managing outpatient dietary consults.

I learned how to conduct refrigerator/store room inventory, billing, proper clean up procedures, management skills, and scheduling.
Good learning environment
Utilization Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  10802 College Place,Cerritos CA, 90703August 17, 2015
A great place to get started and to learn all aspects of behavioral health. Good opportunities for advancement for anyone who is motivated. Cultural diversity at its best.
Pros
Good salary and advancement opportunities, flexible hours and good health care benefits.
Cons
Multiple recent supervisory changes making job security tentative at best.
Great job after military
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJune 14, 2014
It was a good job to have after leaving the military. Co-workers were great and was able to get more hours of work.
Great place to learn
C.N.A/Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  DDMI YOUTHApril 30, 2014
Has become a safer environment to work in as compared to 2008 when i first started.
excellent management
Charge RN (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CANovember 13, 2013
Great hospital with a lot of room for career advancement. Enjoyed the population I worked with there
hosile environment
Charge RN (Current Employee) –  Cerritos,CAMarch 20, 2013
always busy, diff. kind of pt. everyday, good people to work with, management dont know how to appreciate thier good worker.