College of American Pathologists Employee Reviews

too much fluff at the top
IT Senior Project Manager, Infrastructure Projects (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILDecember 3, 2018
weed the top - quit spending money on shiny quarters and start looking at you middle management. You have alot of angry and ugly people who have no idea what they're doing - - - they just think they do, so the blame goes around and nothing gets done. Everyone is just waiting to retire. Start weeding out the middle managers who are doing nothing but blaming other people for their errors. Higher managers can't even manage their middle managers. They just keep pushing them off to another position for someone else to manage. Try real reviews. Your REAL workers are suffering their poor management skills.
Pros
flexibility to work from home so you don't have to see your manager
Cons
you eventually have to see your manager; your manager's manager can't manage your manager
Needs to hire good leaders
Full time (Current Employee) –  Northfield ILOctober 29, 2018
Get rid of dead weight staff and poor leaders.

Lack of good management, particularly in Shared Services.

Lack of accountability in this company.

Lack of shared vision throughout the company. Leaders need to be the example.
Pros
Insurance coverage
Cons
Pass on this place
Enjoyed the occasional departmental luncheons as well as company sponsored events.
COBOL Developer (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILOctober 11, 2018
In addition to the convenient cafeteria service our department had quarterly lunches at one of the many restaurant choices in the area. There was always the company wide sponsored luncheons...very enjoyable.
Excellent Organization in support of Pathology Practice
Member and Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 3, 2018
Have been a member of this organization since 1974. While keeping my laboratories and workplace certified, I volunteered to perform inspections of similar clinical laboratories across the State.
Pros
Constant and latest information brought to the door.
Smart and caring company
Vice President, Communications (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILJune 2, 2018
Smart and committed employees and members. Organization continually strives to advance the field and to provide meaningful benefits to its employees. Employees believe in the mission and strive to follow the values/principles. Employee perks: Discounted food and very good food in the cafe, once-a-week outdoor luncheon grill during warm months, half mile-long walking path, locker room/showers, corporate discounts on exercise options, tuition reimbursement, volunteer hours, annual incentive plan/bonus, flexible work hours and remote work options, annual employee appreciation day, etc. Clean and safe facility. Beautiful grounds: Trees, greenery, water feature, flowers.
Pros
Volunteer time. Remote work options. Clean and safe environment.
a place for you to leave your life behind
patsy (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 16, 2018
This is a place for you to go and die. It there's a way to waste money, the CAP will do it. It there's a way to lose information, the CAP will lose it. But invest in their own people or systems? Or learn from their mistakes? Laugh-Out-Loud! They need to clean house of some middle management. Some of them have no idea what is going on around them. CYA attitude. Wouldn't survive 1 day in the world outside of the CAP. Time to let them go and let the good flourish.
Pros
willing to spend money on new technology
Cons
hanging on to bad seeds
Great Work and Helping the Healthcare world.
Administrative Assistant / Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northfield ILMarch 12, 2018
I loved working at CAP. Great people and culture. Very good work life balance. no place is perfect but a wonderful place to work and helping the world of Pathology move into the forefront of the lives of people.
Pros
work life balance - great pay very good benefits
Cons
a few negative Nellies but you just need to push past them and go after what you want!
Work environment very healthy , people supportive willing to help but do not see a lot of team work which is kind of cons for this Company.Management
Sr. Building Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILFebruary 26, 2018
Day starts with walk thru the entire building and take the readings of the mechanical equipment which supports the facility.After that log in to Outlook and respond to emails and tasks that needs to get addressed.Than day goes with resolving work orders , preventive maintenance work orders and etc.
Wonderful Work/Life Balance
Materials Data Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILNovember 28, 2017
The typical day for my position usually starts with basic production work on product specifications along with vendor reports. Working closely with our Technical/Operations teams to ensure the products are set up correctly. I learned very valuable organizational and workflow skills during my tenure. The importance of process control and management was highly prioritized for the company goals for ISO standards. The culture of the company is very geared toward work/life balance with very flexible scheduling when needed and work from home options for most of the department staff. The hardest part of the job for me would be the reactive nature that occurs at times and the reliance we have for external vendors to provide the materials we specified. There are limited advancement opportunities because there is low staff turnover with the smaller size company and many of those tenured employees compete for the same opportunities when they do arise. The most enjoyable part of my job is the attention to detail one needs to ensure the accuracy of so many data points that affect so many areas of the company. The challenge of maintaining so many products and the quality is very rewarding for a very detail minded person like myself.
Pros
Plenty of Treat days, great insurance, work from home options
Cons
Small company size with many long tenured employees limits career advancement
Good place to work, nice people and hard working individuals
Cybersecurity Manager (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILOctober 28, 2017
A day at work for me consists of many meetings. The CAP is a small organization so you have to wear a lot of different hats. There are a lot of project initiatives going on and that makes it very hard to maintain a good work life balance considering the fact that we are still completing the rollout of the security program. I wind up working a lot from home off hrs just to keep up with demands and workload.
Pros
Great PTO benefits, great retirement plan
Cons
work life balance is not good. Too many projects and not enough people
was a good place
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILOctober 17, 2017
Calm, orderly atmosphere. Friendly team members. Many different opportunities in many parts of the organizatiton. Good variety of responsibilities. xx
Been Worse
Cyber Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILOctober 9, 2017
Upper management is horrible within the IS division. For every little decision, approval from at least 10 different teams is needed (including non-IS teams). They just outsourced a large amount of jobs to InfoSys and it has only gotten worse.
Set in its ways
Staff (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Conform to the C-A-P way or it will eat you up. Leave your sense of humor and fun at the door.

Benefits are good; CEO is great; People are super nice and friendly.

Don't propose a new idea, or a new way of doing something. If you do, schedule 100 meetings to discuss your strategy, write reports and match it against the 15 corporate strategy documents
Experience
HR Business Partner/Generalist & Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 29, 2017
Hired as a change agent, by an org and team that specifically stated they wanted to "change." However wen I got there I found that willingness to be anything but!
Pros
Stability
Cons
Lack of product, high level of self-importance
Meaning Work
Senior Manager, Enterprise Communications (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 10, 2017
Provides opportunity to work with doctors who are diagnosing cancer and advancing science. Challenging work and opportunities for advancement are offered.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Great Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILApril 21, 2017
The College of American Pathologists is a great company to work for with great benefits and people. Career advancement may be limited because it is a small company, but many people including myself have stayed on because of the great work environment.
Pros
Great people, benefits, working environment, opportunity to learn and apply skills and experience
Cons
Opportunities for Career Advancement
Typical Association with a few nice perks
Manager, Enterprise Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILJanuary 30, 2017
CAP suffers from the same problems many associations face - they want to do too much with limited resources. They tend to try to do what members want them to do rather than using the expertise of the staff to determine market needs and then work with key members to find what products will best meet current needs. But the building and the grounds are nice, as is the cafe.
Pros
Nice building, nice cafe
Cons
Lack of focus on priorities
Productive and very stressful
Infrastructure & Operations Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILSeptember 12, 2016
I have been working at College of American Pathologists for about four years, and I really don't have any commends about this Place..........!
Pros
Healthcare, Benefits
Operations Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILSeptember 4, 2016
Good place to work, I have been promoted 3 times over the last 9 years. Each job I have been able to use my current skills and they have sent me to some training to get more skills.
Pros
Cafe
Excellent place to work with an equally excellent staff.
Member Marketing Coordinator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILAugust 17, 2016
Working for the CAP was an amazing and educational experience. In the year of my contract working with the college, I learned so many different aspects of marketing, including event coordination. Definitely a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Excellent work environment, wonderful team, benefits, great work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College of American Pathologists. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about