College of American Pathologists Management reviews

Productive and collaborative workplace
Inspection Assignment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILJune 5, 2019
Working for the CAP for over 5 years has been challenging and fulfilling. There are opportunities to learn about the organization's goals and how I am able to play a part in positively impacting the goal.
Pros
Paid time off, health and life insurance benefits
Cons
Management 's lack of ability to promote work efforts based on ability is difficult at time, promotions are sometimes based on how well is your relationship to the manager.
Official response from College of American Pathologists
June 13, 2019

We are pleased to hear that you find work at the CAP to be both challenging and fulfilling and thank you for your feedback. As an organization focused on continuous improvement, we use feedback like yours to continuously improve our work environment and processes, including our selection process.

too much fluff at the top
IT Senior Project Manager, Infrastructure Projects (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILDecember 3, 2018
weed the top - quit spending money on shiny quarters and start looking at you middle management. You have alot of angry and ugly people who have no idea what they're doing - - - they just think they do, so the blame goes around and nothing gets done. Everyone is just waiting to retire. Start weeding out the middle managers who are doing nothing but blaming other people for their errors. Higher managers can't even manage their middle managers. They just keep pushing them off to another position for someone else to manage. Try real reviews. Your REAL workers are suffering their poor management skills.
Pros
flexibility to work from home so you don't have to see your manager
Cons
you eventually have to see your manager; your manager's manager can't manage your manager
Needs to hire good leaders
Full time (Current Employee) –  Northfield ILOctober 29, 2018
Get rid of dead weight staff and poor leaders.

Lack of good management, particularly in Shared Services.

Lack of accountability in this company.

Lack of shared vision throughout the company. Leaders need to be the example.
Pros
Insurance coverage
Cons
Pass on this place
a place for you to leave your life behind
patsy (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 16, 2018
This is a place for you to go and die. It there's a way to waste money, the CAP will do it. It there's a way to lose information, the CAP will lose it. But invest in their own people or systems? Or learn from their mistakes? Laugh-Out-Loud! They need to clean house of some middle management. Some of them have no idea what is going on around them. CYA attitude. Wouldn't survive 1 day in the world outside of the CAP. Time to let them go and let the good flourish.
Pros
willing to spend money on new technology
Cons
hanging on to bad seeds
Wonderful Work/Life Balance
Materials Data Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILNovember 28, 2017
The typical day for my position usually starts with basic production work on product specifications along with vendor reports. Working closely with our Technical/Operations teams to ensure the products are set up correctly. I learned very valuable organizational and workflow skills during my tenure. The importance of process control and management was highly prioritized for the company goals for ISO standards. The culture of the company is very geared toward work/life balance with very flexible scheduling when needed and work from home options for most of the department staff. The hardest part of the job for me would be the reactive nature that occurs at times and the reliance we have for external vendors to provide the materials we specified. There are limited advancement opportunities because there is low staff turnover with the smaller size company and many of those tenured employees compete for the same opportunities when they do arise. The most enjoyable part of my job is the attention to detail one needs to ensure the accuracy of so many data points that affect so many areas of the company. The challenge of maintaining so many products and the quality is very rewarding for a very detail minded person like myself.
Pros
Plenty of Treat days, great insurance, work from home options
Cons
Small company size with many long tenured employees limits career advancement
Been Worse
Cyber Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILOctober 9, 2017
Upper management is horrible within the IS division. For every little decision, approval from at least 10 different teams is needed (including non-IS teams). They just outsourced a large amount of jobs to InfoSys and it has only gotten worse.
Set in its ways
Staff (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Conform to the C-A-P way or it will eat you up. Leave your sense of humor and fun at the door.

Benefits are good; CEO is great; People are super nice and friendly.

Don't propose a new idea, or a new way of doing something. If you do, schedule 100 meetings to discuss your strategy, write reports and match it against the 15 corporate strategy documents
Experience
HR Business Partner/Generalist & Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 29, 2017
Hired as a change agent, by an org and team that specifically stated they wanted to "change." However wen I got there I found that willingness to be anything but!
Pros
Stability
Cons
Lack of product, high level of self-importance
Stay away, it was a mistake for me
Technical developer (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILJuly 23, 2016
Horrible directors and management for IS. Too many managers. All talks - but no work is done. Too many leaders in IT... Ignorant about any technical knowledge so they preferred to get job done by consulting companies.

Leadership don't trust employees so no place for growth or learning... Too many road blocks to get something done.

Do not waste your career!
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Too many BS.
Stay Away
Web Manager (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 30, 2015
CAP is NOT a very nice place to work. Managers lie. Offer zero support on issues. If your new. The old employees will do everything they can to make your life a miserable.

So take this advice. If you like back stabbing this is the company for you
Pros
Cons
Worst employee support ever
Chaging Culture
CAP Employee (Current Employee) –  NorthfieldSeptember 18, 2014
The CAP offers a number of different schedule options. Most of the co-workers are friendly. However, there is very little room for growth and advancement as a young adult.
Pros
Flexibilty for work shedule
Cons
Top heavy with executive staff
Changing Culture
Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) –  Northfield, ILJuly 2, 2014
I have been employed with the College of American Pathologists for 12 years now. Overall it is fast past, productive, and comfortable place to work. The company is family oriented and offers flexibility to aid in work-life balance. Most of the employees are friendly however there are number who come off as bullies. The culture has changed and the company has become top heavy with management. In some areas of the company there is no room for growth.
Pros
Teleworking
Cons
No room for growth, management develpment, or coaching/mentoring programs
Great place
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILMay 15, 2013
Awesome place to work. Just like a home away from home. Management worked closely with you to make sure you were comfortable with new programs.
DC office-Most dysfunctional place I've ever worked
various (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2012
I have never worked in a more depressing, dysfunctional office, with so little communication, training, support, and teamwork in my 35 years in the workforce. Management doesn’t give you any info to do your job, or tell you where to get it, then blames you for not knowing. They’ll throw you under the bus so they look good. No matter which way you go, they micromanage you, then tell you it's wrong, you can't win. I've never worked anywhere past 12noon on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, except this place. We don't have some Federal holidays off, like Martin Luther King Day - ridiculous, especially in DC! When a support person is doing a great job, they get fired, because the Office Admin. feels threatened.
Cons
management, disorganized, dysfunctional