COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON Employee Reviews

People come here for Charleston, not the College
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 17, 2019
Every faculty member we've hired in the last decade has agreed to our low pay simply because they wanted or needed to live in Charleston. The longer you are here, the worse your pay gets. The legislature hates paying anything for education, so don't expect raises. Even if you get one, it's not likely to even be 1%.

For faculty the primary expectation is teaching, while the requirements for research are ever increasing. Of course there is little to no support for research.

If you come here as faculty, you either have a spouse with a better paying job or you're near retirement.
Peaceful and safe work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 9, 2019
Working at the College of Charleston was a great experience as a student. I learned to be able to work in teams in order to improve the quality and effectiveness of accomplishing a task. Even though some days may have been overbearing occasionally, overall the work environment persistently remained a peaceful environment.
Pros
Easygoing
Cons
Wage, hours
excellent
Astronomy Department (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 7, 2019
enjoyed the opportunity to work on campus while I as a student. The Astronomy Department was a pleasure to work with. Glad to help my fellow students learn more !
Fun Place to Work
Peer Leader/Event Coordinator, iCharleston Program (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 7, 2019
Great Management and Staff, not much in the way of upward mobility from what I gathered, but I was a student at the time. All in all it was quite enjoyable
Beautiful Campus
Assistant Professor in Teacher Education (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 2, 2019
I loved the region, most people were highly professional. Teaching at a college is a very intense career choice that requires a perfect fit between the instructor and the school culture.
Super easy
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 20, 2019
Best job ever super easy and relaxed for geology but it depends on the teacher. Basically paid to do nothing and you can get homework. I overall really enjoyed it
Has potential to be a great place to work
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 19, 2019
It would be a great place to work however, you are asked/told to work any given shift throughout the week due to the lack of man power in the department.
There is no FTO program for new officers.
In the few months I worked in the Department of Public Safety there were 7 officers leave due to lack of communication from the command staff, being lied to, and being overworked.
Every shift is at the minimum number of officers therefor you can only take vacation at certain times of the year. Have to come in when someone calls out sick.
Pros
Work with a few good people
Cons
Overworked, Lack of Communication, Poor Leadership
Leadership
Peer Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 10, 2019
Being a Peer Academic Coach taught me patience and leadership skills. I dealt with students who struggled with the transition into college and in turn, it helped me grow.
We seem understaffed and they make you pay for parking
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 4, 2018
Management is adequate.
Much of my environment is in need of an upgrade.
People I work with are nice and supportive, however, give it a few months, and someone moves on.
We seem to be understaffed; if someone calls off sick, it is hard to find a replacement.
You have to pay for parking. You can purchase a yearly pass or pay $10 a day. This is ridiculous and I see no reason to essentially take money out of your paycheck to park to go to work. Yes, riding Carta is free however, the buses only run certain hours and their is no convenient location for me to get to from my house to one of the Express stops.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
Having to pay for parking
Most enjoyable career experience
procurement (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 11, 2018
My time at the college of Charleston was very enjoyable. You meet so many wonderful people. There is a real family-like community there. My management was amazing. I had the opportunity to grow in my career. The pay is not so great, not many opportunities for raises outside of cost of living unless you truly fight for it but luckily they offer many benefits.

Want to know more about COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON?

Ask a question
Ok place to work
Help Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 27, 2018
Working the help desk at CofC was fun and challenging. The Manager at the time was very helpful and truly took an interest in seeing his techs advance.
Pros
State Holidays
Cons
Spanish Conversation Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 13, 2018
Never worked here but I did help out with a Spanish conversation class and I really enjoyed my time for the most part. Sometimes it was a little disorganized but good in general!
Small school
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 26, 2018
Small sciences program allowed for much one on one with professors. Small study groups and lab research groups was also a bonus. Program prepared me for graduate studies.
Pros
small program
Cons
not a top tier university
Toxic Supervisor, Administration Inaction Leads Good Employees to Leave
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 30, 2018
See summary. The College's administration, including the legal division and the President's office does nothing to protect employees in a toxic, abusive, work environment.
A Collaborative Professional Environment
Adjunct Professor of Education (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 29, 2018
I am interested in a higher education position in academic leadership at the assistant or associate dean level that would allow me professional growth
Pros
Opportuntiies for collaborarive work
Cons
An environment that is too confining and does not support research
work
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 19, 2018
enjoyed the environment. learned new things. professional environment. management was flexible. hours were general. no teleworking. no flexible work schedules.
Pros
environment
Cons
no flex schedules
Enjoyable place to work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
Working for Residence Life and Housing department was very rewarding. There were plenty of opportunities for team building and learning how to work with diverse populations.
Pros
Discount on housing
Cons
No cons
Relatively stressful, but also very fun workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  College of CharlestonJune 26, 2018
I worked as a resident assistant for the past two years. It was great chance to meet new incoming students, but the benefits did not outweigh a lot of the issues that we had to deal with on a daily basis. We did not get paid nearly as much as we deserved. Additionally, my floor partner and I had a room that did not have a common room like all of the other rooms in the building (including the other RA rooms). Residence Life and Housing were not willing to give any type of compensation for the issue and still made us pay the same amount when we were missing a big part of the room.
Great to work for
Records Indexing Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 16, 2018
Worked as a graduate student for 2 years, they were extremely flexible on hours and paid a very fair salary. Good positive work environment in the graduate school.
n/a
desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 16, 2018
Sat at a desk with a computer that held very confidential information about students at the college.
Greeted residents and also developed relationships through conversation.