COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Help Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 27, 2018
Working the help desk at CofC was fun and challenging. The Manager at the time was very helpful and truly took an interest in seeing his techs advance.
Pros
State Holidays
Cons
Spanish Conversation Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 13, 2018
Never worked here but I did help out with a Spanish conversation class and I really enjoyed my time for the most part. Sometimes it was a little disorganized but good in general!
Small school
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 26, 2018
Small sciences program allowed for much one on one with professors. Small study groups and lab research groups was also a bonus. Program prepared me for graduate studies.
Pros
small program
Cons
not a top tier university
Toxic Supervisor, Administration Inaction Leads Good Employees to Leave
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 30, 2018
See summary. The College's administration, including the legal division and the President's office does nothing to protect employees in a toxic, abusive, work environment.
A Collaborative Professional Environment
Adjunct Professor of Education (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 29, 2018
I am interested in a higher education position in academic leadership at the assistant or associate dean level that would allow me professional growth
Pros
Opportuntiies for collaborarive work
Cons
An environment that is too confining and does not support research
work
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 19, 2018
enjoyed the environment. learned new things. professional environment. management was flexible. hours were general. no teleworking. no flexible work schedules.
Pros
environment
Cons
no flex schedules
Enjoyable place to work
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2018
Working for Residence Life and Housing department was very rewarding. There were plenty of opportunities for team building and learning how to work with diverse populations.
Pros
Discount on housing
Cons
No cons
Relatively stressful, but also very fun workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  College of CharlestonJune 26, 2018
I worked as a resident assistant for the past two years. It was great chance to meet new incoming students, but the benefits did not outweigh a lot of the issues that we had to deal with on a daily basis. We did not get paid nearly as much as we deserved. Additionally, my floor partner and I had a room that did not have a common room like all of the other rooms in the building (including the other RA rooms). Residence Life and Housing were not willing to give any type of compensation for the issue and still made us pay the same amount when we were missing a big part of the room.
Great to work for
Records Indexing Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 16, 2018
Worked as a graduate student for 2 years, they were extremely flexible on hours and paid a very fair salary. Good positive work environment in the graduate school.
n/a
desk assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 16, 2018
Sat at a desk with a computer that held very confidential information about students at the college.
Greeted residents and also developed relationships through conversation.
Career Development was like working in a family atmosphere
Career Jobs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 21, 2018
The Career Development office gave the students an opportunity to research and read about the different careers that was available to them, incl jobs.
Pros
Healthcare and building relationship with the students
Cons
Great educational institution, but with no opportunity for advancement in area of research administration. Faculty do very little research, as this is
Director of Research (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 18, 2018
The College of Charleston is a relatively small liberal arts college with its primary mission as teaching. They do a great job of this, but have few extramural grants or contracts. The culture is wonderful, but not so much for research.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Parking, low pay
Nice Place To go To School and Tutor
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 5, 2018
• Assisted students with the learning and understanding of R programming.
• Taught students how to run a vast array of statistical analyses and how to use different packages in R.
• Spent one on one time with each student to ensure understanding of the basics of the R programming language.
• Covered the foundations for use of Rstudio in order for students to be confident in writing R code without my assistance.
Laid back but lacking purpose
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 28, 2018
Worked here as a student and moved up to a full-time position, stayed for a few years before moving on to something else. Great if you want a laid back no pressure job, not so great if you want to feel like you can make a difference
Pros
Great work/life balance
good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 24, 2018
it was a good stepping stone to move into a management position. good worker, good managers. not bad place to work. full benefits and dental with 35+ hours a week.
Student Worker
Box office Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 23, 2018
I worked at College of Charleston as a Student worker. I worked in the scene shop while I was in school there, and despite the lack of benefits it's a great place to work while you're in school.
High Stress
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 15, 2018
High stressful job that is flexible with hours but required a lot of outside work. With extra work on the side management did not provide much support.
amazing experience
Spanish Conversation Student Professor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 14, 2018
I wish all students could peer teach in their major. This was such an enriching wonderful experience for me. I learned a great deal about teaching!!
Unequal Pay
Any position (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 13, 2018
This is an oppressed place to work. The dynamics of pay is very bias racially. Being the south, it will remain the same unfortunately. A very white male dominant college.
Relaxing
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 6, 2018
It's very slow pace and I don't have to worry about rushing and I have a small building it's very easy I work alone so it's peaceful I might be tired through the night that's the only thing that bothers me as I see the morning comes up other than that it's a really good job to work I can use a little bit more money also
Pros
Games
Cons
The pay can be a little better