College of Southern Maryland Employee Reviews

Easy, Laid back work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  LaplataAugust 16, 2018
I had a lot of fun working here. the culture was fun, management strong but fair. I had plenty of hours and they were more than accommodating to fit my class schedule or vacation requests
Horrible place to adjunct if you are a decent teacher
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDFebruary 5, 2019
Unfortunately, I regret ever working for College of Southern Maryland.

I taught arguably the highest level course in the math department (Differential Equations). I was paid poorly, as all adjuncts usually are. However, the cost of living in the area is exorbitant for the pay.

The job culture is horrible for anyone with a disability. Particularly "invisible disabilities." The college coddles students with such disabilities. Yet, as expected, they treat adjuncts who have even lesser maladies with disrespect and disdain.

I once had decent credit. I now no longer have any credit.

Beware
Pros
I got to teach a good schedule through my first year
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  leardtown MdJuly 18, 2018
A typical day at work is when 50 to 100 students come in the student resource center needing guidance on starting school or help with touting. On a avage day it would be faxing that needed to be done several phone calls incoming and outgoing. Learned a lot of different office skills and planning organizational skills. Diverted culture, nothing hard about the job once you received proper training. Most important making sure the clients we happy and everything was taken care of.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
health care therewas none offered.
Good
Building & Grounds Technician (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MD 20678September 18, 2018
Working at the College of Southern Maryland has taught me a lot and has given me more knowledge and experience in the commercial cleaning industry. Nice working environment but I am looking to be more financially stable.
Adjunct work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDSeptember 8, 2018
CSM provided me with supplement income. It worked well for that purpose. It was not steady employment, so it is not great for a full time job. I would do it again, if I needed extra income.
Great place to attend school and work
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 29, 2018
The schedule is set in stone since you are scheduled to work on specific days each term. The pay is not as good for adjunct faculty, but is a good supplement if you already have a job elsewhere.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
pay
Director of Procurement/Contracts and AP (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDMay 4, 2018
People are friendly and very helpful. Outside of the commute, the benefits and work environment are fantastic. It also allows you the opportunity to further your education and make you more marketable.
Great Work Life Balance
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MarylandMarch 18, 2013
The College is an okay place to work. The relationships you build with colleagues and the work/life balance is probably to best reward for being employed there.

Pros
little micromanaging, great work/life balance, and job security
Cons
extremely low pay, no raise or cola, and management
Typical day
Building and Grounds Technician (Former Employee) –  LaPlataApril 5, 2018
clean and maintain campus grounds, classrooms and offices on daily basis. Assist with setting up and taking down equipment for special events. Had the responsibility of going off campus to another facility to clean and maintain also. Drive company vehicle.
Relaxed work place, with nice people, just low pay
Student Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDNovember 2, 2017
This is not a job with much advancement. It is a good job for any students on campus looking for a job on campus to help pay for school. I would recommend this job to students who desire a career in the fitness realm.
Love'd It
Assistant Technical Director (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 27, 2018
Love'd It so much. I could not have asked for a better job right out of college. The other faculty and staff were a joy to work with and I loved working with the students.
Fast paced, yet fun workplace
College Bookstore Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDFebruary 27, 2018
A typical day would answering phone calls and handling the cash register. Most enjoyable part was meeting and dealing with new people. There wasn't anything necessarily hard about the job.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Not enough study time
Like it or don't
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 27, 2016
Enjoy working with co-workers. Working with employees in other departments. Many fun social events - picnics, spring fair, Christmas parties. Raises have been lacking lately due to budget cuts. Promotion take time. Seen two type of employees - those who like working at CSM and are CSM lifers until retirement and those who don't and leave within a year or so.
Pros
Good co-workers, picnics, social events
Cons
Lack of pay raises over the last few years
Weak management
I work here (Current Employee) –  Southern MDMay 21, 2013
I was hired under the assumption that I was going to be put in a supervisory role. After weeks went by, still no promotion. I inquired about this position at least three times, with different levels of management. Basically "we'll look into it" kind of answers. Still waiting.

Honestly, working here is more of a temporary solution until something better and with higher pay comes along. (I am not the only one who has said that).

HR is SLOOOW in filling positions. Sometimes the same jobs will be listed for months. This is frustrating for candidates who are waiting to hear something. In my department, a superior told me one time that they were waiting on the budget to be approved or something. But in my opinion, an organization should not advertise positions unless they are ready to fill them.

As with many other jobs, there are people who are like "snakes in the grass", but I have built a couple good friendships. My biggest problem when it comes to some employees around here is that they are not held accountable, especially those that do shady things. It's as if management turns a blind eye or just fails to see it. And this is even after things have been reported/discussed with management. Overall, I thank God for this opportunity because He took me out of a worse situation and put me here. But I have definitely been looking for other jobs.
Pros
Bosses not hovering over me, some nice people.
Cons
Management (Wake up!), low pay.
good people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJanuary 31, 2018
it was a good place for my first job during high school and picked up extra hours during the summer not a place to necessarily stay but a good first job and good people there.
Fast paced environment
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata,MDJuly 31, 2017
Check Bursar's Office e-mail account,help students,parents and employers with any tuition account questions. Collect all necessary paper work for account protections and invoice verification's. Process tuition payments. On the downside not much room for growth. Reviews are rare due to the busy schedules of supervisors. Great benefits and time-off.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
No breaks, short staff
An enjoyable environment with engaged faculty and students.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 28, 2017
As a college campus, this environment was much more enjoyable and rewarding than a high school campus. The majority of the students were mature enough to work hard and understand the consequences if they did not.

My supervisors and peers were professional and supportive. I never was made to feel embarrassed with any questions I had regarding the curriculum, procedures, or technology.

The most difficult part of the job was adapting my syllabus whenever a new edition of the book came out.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the students and their excitement level for each class which, in turn, fueled me each night.
Pros
the students, textbooks, and pretty campus
Cons
the pay
okay
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 13, 2017
work in the test building Xerox copies for the teachers and filiing the test for the professors management was great. very busy working in the testing building. went in early and had the rest of my day to take care of my family
My favorite out of all previous jobs!
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDJuly 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at and for the College of Southern Maryland. From the administrative staff that I proudly served to the faculty - everyone was so warm and friendly. I assisted and then eventually oversaw the campus scheduling department. Daily routines included, but were not limited to, bookkeeping, filing and sending business and payment contracts, and scheduling campus courses and activities. Every morning I delivered faculty mail and restocked the staff room. My coworkers were always more than willing to lend a helping hand and that made all the difference. Management felt more like family, and were not only "managers", but leaders as well. I can honestly say that there were no difficult parts of this job.
Freedom to teach your own way, but lots of guidance is available when you need it
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDDecember 15, 2017
I loved being in charge of my own classroom and having the freedom to teach in my own way. This also gave me the opportunity to experience when to use leniency and when to draw the line in a fair way to all students. We had a few issues with the software and hardware at times, but I was able to learn how well I can make lemonade out of lemons.