College of Southern Maryland Employee Reviews

Typical day
Building and Grounds Technician (Former Employee) –  LaPlataApril 5, 2018
clean and maintain campus grounds, classrooms and offices on daily basis. Assist with setting up and taking down equipment for special events. Had the responsibility of going off campus to another facility to clean and maintain also. Drive company vehicle.
Love'd It
Assistant Technical Director (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 27, 2018
Love'd It so much. I could not have asked for a better job right out of college. The other faculty and staff were a joy to work with and I loved working with the students.
Fast paced, yet fun workplace
College Bookstore Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDFebruary 27, 2018
A typical day would answering phone calls and handling the cash register. Most enjoyable part was meeting and dealing with new people. There wasn't anything necessarily hard about the job.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Not enough study time
good people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJanuary 31, 2018
it was a good place for my first job during high school and picked up extra hours during the summer not a place to necessarily stay but a good first job and good people there.
Freedom to teach your own way, but lots of guidance is available when you need it
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDDecember 15, 2017
I loved being in charge of my own classroom and having the freedom to teach in my own way. This also gave me the opportunity to experience when to use leniency and when to draw the line in a fair way to all students. We had a few issues with the software and hardware at times, but I was able to learn how well I can make lemonade out of lemons.
Relaxed Atmosphere/Everyone Knows Their Responsibilities
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDNovember 27, 2017
Work at your own pace unless there is a priority project. Day goes by fast because work is steady but not overwhelming. Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help if needed. The team is great!
Relaxed work place, with nice people, just low pay
Student Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDNovember 2, 2017
This is not a job with much advancement. It is a good job for any students on campus looking for a job on campus to help pay for school. I would recommend this job to students who desire a career in the fitness realm.
This is not a full time position
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  LaPlata, MDSeptember 9, 2017
MCET hires professional water and wastewater operators to teach on a part time basis. This is a great way to stay up to date in the field. So if you are in the water and wastewater treatment field and looking to teach part time, MCET would be a good choice to teach in Maryland and Virginia.
Secure, but hard to advance
Certified Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDAugust 23, 2017
A great institution, but it is very hard to establish effective communication with coworkers. Working in one area: cooperation and job environment is great. However, in general, departments do not coordinate well with each other,
Fast paced environment
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata,MDJuly 31, 2017
Check Bursar's Office e-mail account,help students,parents and employers with any tuition account questions. Collect all necessary paper work for account protections and invoice verification's. Process tuition payments. On the downside not much room for growth. Reviews are rare due to the busy schedules of supervisors. Great benefits and time-off.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
No breaks, short staff
Not a good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 31, 2017
There is no sense of community here. It's a cut throat environment. Nobody wants to help the students here. I've seen 7 people come and go in the past 7 months. I really want to get out of this toxic work place.
Pros
If you desire to take classes you don't have to pay the tuition
Cons
people are hateful and you don't get paid for the heavy workload
An enjoyable environment with engaged faculty and students.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 28, 2017
As a college campus, this environment was much more enjoyable and rewarding than a high school campus. The majority of the students were mature enough to work hard and understand the consequences if they did not.

My supervisors and peers were professional and supportive. I never was made to feel embarrassed with any questions I had regarding the curriculum, procedures, or technology.

The most difficult part of the job was adapting my syllabus whenever a new edition of the book came out.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the students and their excitement level for each class which, in turn, fueled me each night.
Pros
the students, textbooks, and pretty campus
Cons
the pay
Great but antiquated
Executive Director of Marketing & Communications (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 18, 2017
Really great group of people but lacks in some vision areas from senior leadership. Some of the technology is extremely antiquated which makes it hard to position as a progressive organization for job recruiting. Because the college takes on a bit of a small town mentality, a vast majority of the employees have been here for a considerable period of time which certainly makes it feel like family. There is some wonderful flexibility in work scheduling, though I can only speak for that as it pertains to the division I've worked for. They really need to look at improving cell and wifi service on the La Plata campus. It's nearly impossible to make a call on campus because of the service. Overall a really great place and great people, just a bit stuck in its ways. I'd be curious if it ends up affecting the college's ability to hire or retain those who have larger aspirations.
Pros
Code Green Fridays (May-July Campus Closes at 1:30pm), Winter break, Spring Break
Cons
Old technology, bad service area, internal communications, leadership
okay
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 13, 2017
work in the test building Xerox copies for the teachers and filiing the test for the professors management was great. very busy working in the testing building. went in early and had the rest of my day to take care of my family
My favorite out of all previous jobs!
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDJuly 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at and for the College of Southern Maryland. From the administrative staff that I proudly served to the faculty - everyone was so warm and friendly. I assisted and then eventually oversaw the campus scheduling department. Daily routines included, but were not limited to, bookkeeping, filing and sending business and payment contracts, and scheduling campus courses and activities. Every morning I delivered faculty mail and restocked the staff room. My coworkers were always more than willing to lend a helping hand and that made all the difference. Management felt more like family, and were not only "managers", but leaders as well. I can honestly say that there were no difficult parts of this job.
Not a good place
Aquatics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJune 29, 2017
I was not able to perform to the best of my abilities due to a lot of red tape and lack of professionalism from my colleagues. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Easy Job, No Supervision
Anatomy and Physiology Tutor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 25, 2017
Easy job as long as you're familiar with anatomy and physiology. Just help students with whatever they're struggling with. No supervisor, pretty laid back job.
Productive and fun work place
Student assistant to the programs coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDApril 10, 2017
Always looking to help others. Tries to make sure every student is doing fine or possibilities to make them succeed. Work environment is laid back and very convenient.
Busy!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDMarch 28, 2017
Very hectic days which made the day go fast.
Learned alot!
Meet alot of amazing students, staff and faculty.
Campus is clean and beautifully kept.
Food in cafeteria is great but pricey!
Pros
Some freebie/perks
Cons
Heavy workload
secretary
Student Success Center Secretary (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDFebruary 23, 2017
Job was wonderful but only lasted for 2 year, coworkers were excellent to work with and compensation was ok. the work schedule was always flexible to schedule of classes.
Pros
work around college classes
Cons
job guarantee