College of Southern Nevada Employee Reviews

Easy working Environment but not enough benefit
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2019
They are pretty flexible with your schedule. The working condition is not too stressful, you will have additional time to study while performing your daily duty. There are no benefits what so ever, payments sucks if you have a lot of responsibilities. Overall, not a bad place to start your first job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Don't pay enough and no benefit what so ever.
Good College
Manager of Multimedia Services (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 22, 2019
With the right leadership and funding, this college could be amazing. Creating opportunities and changing lives is what this institution has done for over 45 years.
Pros
Faculty and Staff
Cons
Politics
Great place to work, friendly staff, relaxed environment.
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVApril 18, 2019
Working at the College of Southern Nevada has been my favorite job to date. The other employees are very welcoming and kid to be around. It isn’t a particularly high stress job, but it does get busy. The environment is generally relaxed and not really formal.
Pros
Calm environment, free food often, kind and welcoming staff.
Great Exprerience
Part-Time Instructor, Veterinary Technology (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2019
I was able to learn, gain and strengthen my skills, and I enjoyed working with the students. The full-time staff was very knowledgeable and helpful with anything I needed.
Pros
Great Working environment
I love it
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 12, 2019
A typical day at CSN as an ADVISING AND COACHING RECEPTIONIST was scheduling appointments, answering phone calls, clerical work, and doing inventory. During down time you can do your homework, or eat a snack, basically anything as long as you had completed your tasks and there was no one to help. I learned how to be organized, explain things to people, and general customer service. Management was wonderful. She was so nice and communicative. The culture was also good. Co workers were helpful, even in other departments. I'm trying to think if there was a hard part to this job. I suppose some people who would come in or speak on the phone weren't so polite, or just would have a hard time understanding what you're trying to explain to them. Also, I wish there were more hours in it, but its a WORK STUDY job. Its considered a grant from financial aid, so you can only work X amount of hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being there in a good work environment with good people.
Pros
A good work environment, Easy work
Cons
Less than Aprox. 20 hours a week.
Productive and fun place to work most of the time.
Professor of art (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 28, 2019
Job was fabulous for 14 years until new management arrived and let adjunct teachers go without specific reason.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the students and making a difference in their lives. Doing what I am best at and being in an art culture was fabulous!
Pros
Working hours and days as asked for.
Cons
No healthcare and no job security. Can be dismissed without reason
Wonderful, collaborative employees and students
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 21, 2019
As an adjunct (part-time) instructor, there is a great deal of freedom with scheduling courses that you will teach (this depends on which department you work for) and you are contracted by semester, so flexibility of your schedule is one of the best aspects of working at CSN. Faculty and administration are kind, helpful, collaborative, and there are many professional development opportunities. The students at CSN are serious about their academic careers and for the most part are focused on their studies and achieving their goals. Helping students to gain confidence in themselves is very rewarding.

The only negative to being a part-time, adjunct instructor is the pay. The pay is very low compared to the advanced degrees and experience that are required for this position. There are also no benefits for part-time employees.
Pros
Collaborative, supportive environment, strong professional development, good communication for such a large institution
Cons
Low pay, competition for open positions, no benefits for part-time workers.
Dont Go
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 16, 2019
Horrible work/life balance. I was given an ultimatum between leaving my sick wife to physically show up at work (when I had the means to work remotely) or quit.
Great Workplace
Professor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 8, 2019
Managers are very supportive. Competitive pay. The retirement system and flexible hours are competitive benefits! The continuing education for employees are consistent.
Doesn't seem a college for advancement!
None (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 3, 2019
Poor management. The manager doesn't know how to interview, seem more like a recreational than rather just studying, students doesn't seem to learn anything, when they actually graduate they don't know anything when they actually get a job.
Intereting position to help others with academic difficulties
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 26, 2019
My schedule was based on appointments. Sometimes I have one appointment in a day, other times I have up to six appointments and I stay there for whole day. I enjoy interacting with different students, helping them resolve problems with certain subjects was a very satisfying experience.
Csn
Gaming Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 11, 2019
People are friendly and care about their employee's state of health and well being. It is a great place to work. Its a place I look forward to coming.
Welcoming environment
Assistant Computer Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 26, 2019
The people were friendly, fair, and easily approachable. On average my day consisted of preparing the workstations for students who needed to complete a computer build and install an operating system. Additionally, I would provide assistance answering questions for students building the computers, working on Cisco, security, Linux, Wire shark, and networking assignments. The area I worked in was usually fairly quiet and relaxed (no suit and tie required)
Pros
worked with my schedule
Cons
$10/hour part time work
Great experience, and college.
Special Projects Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 22, 2019
I loved working with CSN. I worked as a special project assistant, and did various jobs for my two bosses.
The environment was relaxed, collaborative, and everyone was committed to helping students.
I would recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Great environment. The opportunity to help others.
Cons
None.
Great opportunity to enhance career aspirations
English Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 15, 2019
As an adjunct, I felt unsupported by department. If I had an issue, I could not approach the department chair, instead her asst interjected. My concern was not addressed.

When I had ideas of how to improve student learning, I was told that my idea will be taken into consideration. I had no oversight, or adjunct assessment, so I could not gauge how my lectures were going.
Pros
Freedom to teach how you want without someone over your shoulder constantly.
Cons
Lack of supervision and feedback.
Presentations
FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 9, 2019
It was relax, yet collaborative. You had to be self-motivated because some job assignments were work to be done alone. When we had to do the presentation at the different schools, it was a collaborative effort. Overall, I enjoy the work I did as a facilitator.
Pros
Verbal communication within the presentation
Cons
Just a temporary job
Overall experience at CSN
French teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston CampusJanuary 9, 2019
It is a very relaxed place to work at. You're stress free and you're the master of your class. All students and staff are very diverse and culturally infused. However, as a part-time instructor, the pay is minimal for the amount of work that the job requires.
I was a sttudent at CSN
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 31, 2018
I was a student at CSN. From what I observed it seemed like a great place to work. Attending as a student was great. All my interactions with the teaching staff and the employees in the various offices was very good. The professors are the best ever. And the admin staff was always so helpful and friendly and knowledgeable.
Not a good place to be
Financial services (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVDecember 21, 2018
In my department, management is inflexible about scheduling. They don’t care if you have children/grandchildren/or families that you care for. Supervisors seem to be more flexible, but the Controller wants everyone working 8-5 except for very few exceptions, and you have to have a disability to be permitted a permanent alternative schedule. During down times, which are often, you are expected to sit at your desk and do nothing, just stare at your blank computer screen. Non-work related activities are not permitted even when all your work duties are complete and you have asked management for additional tasks, but there are none. Most employees use computer privacy screens to hide what they are doing from management constantly walking by to check on what you are doing. It’s like being in elementary school all over again. If all your work is done then why shouldn’t employees be allowed to do personal activities to keep yourself from dying of boredom?

Coworkers are polite but most are not very friendly or interested in getting to know you, and they don’t like being at work. Monday’s start with the usual, “Ugh, back here again. 5 more days to go...” or “it’s not even 10 am and I want to leave....”. Employees arrive to work and announce the count down of days/hours until they can leave again. It creates quite a depressing and negative work culture when clearly people don’t want to be here. I hear other departments are different, as in, relaxed and have positive work culture; but I would not recommend working here unless you enjoy an uptight, dull, unfriendly environment; immense
  more... boredom at work; and feeling like you’re back in grade school being watched by your teacher.  less
Pros
Job security
Cons
No career advancement, uptight Controller, no work/life balance, keeping on dead weight (employees that do very little work and have bad attitudes), unfriendly work environment
I was teaching for students and the industry this is not the alignment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2018
the Student was not the focus in my department - the manager was well intentioned and underqualified and not comfortable addressing issues or needs - sadly I am about making things better for all involved and treated students as customers and clients - I was not good fit for this department -
Pros
great opportunities to impact students lives for the better
Cons
restrictive management with out a connection to the industry or the students needs