College of Southern Nevada

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

College of Southern Nevada Pay & Benefits reviews

PTI College of Southern Nevada (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 22, 2019
Job security wasn't enough. I do not if may job was on part time basis so benefits were limited only to faculty members on full time status. This make me want to move somewhere else.
Pros
No free lunc
Cons
Shoet breaks
Easy working Environment but not enough benefit
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2019
They are pretty flexible with your schedule. The working condition is not too stressful, you will have additional time to study while performing your daily duty. There are no benefits what so ever, payments sucks if you have a lot of responsibilities. Overall, not a bad place to start your first job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Don't pay enough and no benefit what so ever.
Wonderful, collaborative employees and students
Instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 21, 2019
As an adjunct (part-time) instructor, there is a great deal of freedom with scheduling courses that you will teach (this depends on which department you work for) and you are contracted by semester, so flexibility of your schedule is one of the best aspects of working at CSN. Faculty and administration are kind, helpful, collaborative, and there are many professional development opportunities. The students at CSN are serious about their academic careers and for the most part are focused on their studies and achieving their goals. Helping students to gain confidence in themselves is very rewarding.

The only negative to being a part-time, adjunct instructor is the pay. The pay is very low compared to the advanced degrees and experience that are required for this position. There are also no benefits for part-time employees.
Pros
Collaborative, supportive environment, strong professional development, good communication for such a large institution
Cons
Low pay, competition for open positions, no benefits for part-time workers.
Great Workplace
Professor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 8, 2019
Managers are very supportive. Competitive pay. The retirement system and flexible hours are competitive benefits! The continuing education for employees are consistent.
Overall experience at CSN
French teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston CampusJanuary 9, 2019
It is a very relaxed place to work at. You're stress free and you're the master of your class. All students and staff are very diverse and culturally infused. However, as a part-time instructor, the pay is minimal for the amount of work that the job requires.
highly prodictive, fast pace
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NV 89002November 10, 2018
A typical day at work is busy with an occasional slow portion of the day. There are also times/ days where things can be very slow paced as well. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to communicate and work with others who are going threw some of the same things you are education wise. As well as being able to help other students always feels amazing.
Pros
there is time to do your homework during the slow times.
Cons
No health benefits, not alot of hours when a student worker.
Great place to start working as a professor in your field
Part-Time Instructor, Mariachi Ensemble Director (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 20, 2018
Great place to start working as a professor in your field. Pay is a bit low to start off but many opportunities to move up pay scale. Relaxed work environment.
Admin Assistant/Payroll Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2018
Amazing place to work. Management is very forthcoming. Very supportive for employee's growth, and offers great benefits. Employees can expect for advancement.
Large community college with diverse student body
Director International Center (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 21, 2017
CSN enrolls more than 36,000 students and has three main campuses. As part of the student affairs division, my office provides academic advising and support services to students who will either seek jobs or continue their education upon completion of their program.

CSN has a very diverse student population, giving it a great vibe in which everyone feels welcome. The student affairs professionals support each other through workplace collaborations and attendance at departmental events. Crosstraining is emphasised and encouraged to efficiently address student need in this fast paced work environment.
Pros
Free parking, great 401k
Cons
No student unions
Professional job to enjoy teaching
Adjunct Faculty Instructor (Former Employee) –  NevadaOctober 28, 2017
: Instruct students over 18 of age: Computer Basics, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Windows operating system. All courses are taught in English and / or Spanish.
Pros
meet new students each class
Cons
no benefits, temporary job per contracts
Rewarding work
Adjunct Instructor ESL (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 22, 2017
I teach 3 to 6 hours per week in a department that is very supportive and organized. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is the interaction with students from around the world, and the salary is competitive with similar institutions. The hardest part of the job is saying goodbye to the students at the end of the semester.
Pros
Good support for students
Cons
None to think of
Writing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 20, 2017
A great place to work but the hr per week weren't enough. It was a part time position but the budget was cut during the semester and hrs were reduced.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Not enough hours
working for CSN
its called a LOA (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89102September 12, 2017
I love working at CSN. I have gotten to stretch my abilities in places I had no idea I could go. For that I will be forever grateful to my boss . My only negative is this is not a full time position and because of that I have no benefits or vacation or ill days. That and the system only pays monthly not bi weekly as I am used to . Other than that I truly enjoy being there and appreciate the subjects and students that have enriched my life so much.
Pros
able to teach a wide variety of subjects
Cons
no benefits and pay is monthly
Productive and Educational Environment
Switchboard Operator/Testing Proctor (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 3, 2017
I enjoy working at the College of Southern Nevada. I am not satisfied with the my overall salary. This job has been very flexible for me considering I am going to school. I enjoy working in an educational environment where I am constantly learning new things every day.
Pros
Continous Education
Cons
Low wage
Great place to work. Beneftis and salary depending on experience was fair
Student Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2016
I would love to work for this company today. Management cared about their employees and we were compensated well. Bonuses were often, as well as free lunches.
Pros
Hour lunches, compensation. Management was Great
Cons
They are no longer in business
My experience working as a custodian at the boys and girls club
Custodial Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 31, 2016
As a partime job I also enjoyed working there. The manager who was in charge of the boys and girls club was nice. The job itself was easy. Just keep yourself busy and your job by then you know you were done for the day.
Pros
Great benefits if I stayed longer on the job
Cons
Short hours
Great place to work!
Teacher andInstructor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 2, 2016
The job is incredibly rewarding. Students and management recognize the hard work and personal passion for the job.
Cons
no benefits
Great place to work for
SATR (Current Employee) –  333 S. Rancho las vegas nvJanuary 7, 2016
Great supervisor great environment with great co workers, no great benefits. Perfect hours if you are a student or looking for part time work.
Good and Bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NevadaJuly 16, 2015
Overall this company is average. It was somewhat difficult for me to balance both my job and school, but they did their best to schedule my hours appropriately and were very open to making sure I attended all classes. The compensation is average, nothing special. I was paid minimum wage for a worker in Nevada, but it was also my first job. There was little room for advancement from what I saw. I was a temp worker and the management maid it seem like they would give a part time position to the best temp worker they hired. No one was promoted, but then again nothing was set in stone, it was just the impression given. I suppose they are careful about that. There was one woman I met on the job who had worked as a temp worker for 2-3 years and then was finally given a part time position. All other employees had been there for years, too. The assistant manager seemed to do much more (and more efficiently, I might add) than the manager, but she was never promoted. Job security is not good. If you make a mistake that's bad enough or if you make two small mistakes twice you're out and they find someone else. The job culture is good and bad. There were some nice employees and there were some extremely rude employees. The manager was the worst. She yelled at me in front of customers for doing something the assistant manager told me to do. Later that day the assistant manager explained that she had instructed me to do that. It was literally so bad that the customer I was talking to right before I got chastised called and complained the management for treating me that way. The assistant  more... manager asked if I wanted to file a complaint, but I didn't because I was worried the manager would treat me even worse if I did. The company policy stated that employees don't get lunch breaks unless they work for six hours. So they scheduled us temps for 5 hours a day so we didn't get a paid lunch. I also NEVER got a break the entire time I worked there.  less
Pros
Will hire someone for a first job, not many places willing to do that anymore
Cons
Shaky management
CSN's benefits
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 2, 2015
The campus is beautiful and the students are hard working. However, there were certain financial promises that were not met.
Pros
Beauty
Cons
Salary