College Of The Albemarle Employee Reviews

great location to work
Associate Professor of Psychology (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 9, 2018
Love everything about the job. My fellow instructors are great as is administration. I love the area - near a large city but in the country. Sometimes we have to travel between campuses, but teaching is fun.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
could use better pay
Great Working Environment
Criminal Justice Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMarch 16, 2018
I am a senior level law enforcement executive that has over 27 years of law enforcement experience. I also have 15 years as an Adjunct Professor and Program Coordinator for the Criminal Justice Program.
Great work place
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMarch 12, 2018
I became an employee through the college as a student. I was front desk receptionist. I exist the student with problems and concerns. I would take photos for the new students, answered emails, an I also where the schools operator.
Pros
opportunity to meet people along with the learnig Experience
Cons
Sorry I had to leave I realy enjoyed the job
A good quality school
Director of Prison Educational Programs (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCFebruary 12, 2018
The College of The Albemarle is good quality school to attend or work at. The college provides a wide variety of academic areas to work in or obtain a degree from.
Very political.
Lead Instructor Transitional Studies Program (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 14, 2018
There are many wonderful people there. And then there are the small town politics. Which are fierce at times and can impede progress. I enjoy the educational environment.
COA is a good college to work at!
CSET Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 2, 2018
Great staff and faculty. Easy going. Beautiful Elizabeth City campus. All I have are good things to say as far as working there. People there are helpful and kind.
College of the Albemarle
Director of Library and Learning Services (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 7, 2017
Excellent working environment even during times of less state funding. All education levels are represented and students receive a quality education.
Pros
Collaborative atmosphere
Cons
Productive workday, yet very busy
Administrative Assistant/Registrar Tech/Enrollment (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 29, 2017
I enjoy working at COA. Very busy fast paced College with over 2500 students. Faculty and staff easy to work with. No micro managing, but you are expected to complete your tasks. Yearly evaluations. Can be a great place to work.
High stress from admin, policy not followed, favortism
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 8, 2017
I hope that the new president is a positive change. Unfortunately that change did not involve a new VP which is needed. Security is out of control and does not follow law or policy in their own behavior. Admin looks the other way even when reports are made. Department policy is only followed as long as jobs are protected, otherwise the rules go out the window. Employees rights are not respected. The turnover rate since 2009 is over the top excessive. They have lost some really good teachers way too soon.
Productive work place with staff that truly care about students.
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 1, 2017
Excellent work environment that was truly a pleasure to work for. Staff showed genuine care for students academics and questions about how to succeed at College of The Albemarle.
Great Place to work
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Edenton, NCMay 22, 2017
Great opportunity to help change student's lives, and give them guidance and engorgement that they will need to be successful with their education. The work environment is easy paced, fun, and exciting.
Dedicated professionals
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCApril 22, 2017
Wonderful place to work. The administrative staff, office staff, and teachers are dedicated professionals who are compassionate about their job and students.
Pros
Small community college with dedicated staff
Great place to work.
Proiessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edenton, NCMarch 27, 2017
A typical day at College of the Albemarle would begin with showing up early to review previous days work. Write announcements on board. As students show up, explain work to be done, check for understanding, and allow independent work.

I learned that students learn in different ways and that some need more time to complete assignments than others.

All my students were at different levels in their ability to learn new ideas and concepts. Therefore, I had many different lesson plans each day that had to be implemented to benefit my students.

The hardest part of my job was working with the mentally challenged. I love to see people succeed. One or two of my students did not seem to be able to grasp certain concepts. I needed to research different ways to help them.

The most enjoyable part was seeing my students pass each test and ultimately obtain their GED/High School Diploma.
Pros
Students success in passing tests necessary for GED/High School Diploma
Cons
Students with difficulties in learning new ideas and concepts
Coa
Assistant Professor of Business (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCNovember 14, 2016
Overall a great place to work; however compensation is very low compared to others within this state and across the nation.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Never know when one's schedule may change.
Excellent Atmosphere
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manteo, NCNovember 13, 2016
Excellent place to work
The employees genuinely care about you
The atmosphere is positive
The Deans want what's best for their employees
The supervisor is willing to work around your busy schedule
Pros
The employees are loving
Cons
Aren't any
Fast Learner and hardworking
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCFebruary 5, 2016
Hardworking individual with a profound background in handling cleaning and maintenance work inside buildings and on parking lots and grounds. Strong knowledge of mixing cleaning materials by following set safety procedures and conforming to the company’s cleaning regulations. Also I have a strong background in cleaning services such as waxing floors, cleaning surfaces and removing garbage.
A positive and vibrant workplace accomodating BLET Cadets
Assistant to BLET Director (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 15, 2015
Great organization where co workers work together to assist and evaluate the performance of the cadets in the Basic Law Enforcement Training Program.
Pros
free lunches, family oriented space, flexible work schedule
Productive and character building environment
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  LibraryApril 19, 2015
Clean the books
Shelf the books according to numerical order
Check books in and out
monitor computer usage
keeps work areas of others clean
Pros
short miles
Cons
boring
Work Study Position
ASSISTANT TO FTE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NC 27909September 17, 2014
This was a job that was critical for the College of the Albemarle, involving yearly fiscal audits by the state. It was a job that required critical thinking as well as paying attention to details such as calculating classroom hours and finding errors that could amount to severe fines against the college. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the instructors and getting to know people from all cultural backgrounds and interest.. My co-workers were the nicest people to work with and that was the awesome part of working as a work study at the College of the Albemarle.
Pros
Enjoyable position with interesting people.
Too much job turnover in administration, faculty and staff
Former Student (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJuly 13, 2014
I am not an employee, but a member of the COA Alumni. When I graduated in 2002, it was a fun place full of employees who enjoyed their job and worked collaboratively. Recently, I have returned to find that many of the employees have been terminated, forced to retire or have left to find jobs in Virginia to compensate their worth and value. Employees have felt under-appreciated and over-worked.
It is still a good place for upper administration who falls "in-line" with the current culture, but don't be surprised when you come to work each day feeling unsure if it is your last.
Pros
Four campus locations, instructors and staff who love what they do
Cons
upper administration, high employee turnover rates