College of the Canyons Employee Reviews

Student worker
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAMarch 7, 2018
As student jones goes, it’s a learning experience that allows you to pick up working skills that can help you in the future. Based on where you work you will get more benefits.
Pros
Learning experience, meet new people
Cons
Too much work, not enough pay
Very rewarding position
information in person (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 28, 2018
my typical day was interaction with the professors and students, management of testing, the hardest part was testing week for finals and midterms, very very busy.
Pros
co workers
Cons
testing weeks
Best option for students
College Assistant - Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAFebruary 28, 2018
On-Campus jobs are, usually, the best option for a lot of students. This was my case as well. Ever since getting hired, CoC has been an great ground for me to learn different things, from management to event planning to customer service all wrapped up in one job.
The work environment is really nice, with almost everyone being understanding and nice, supportive. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with rude people, which comes implied with any customer service job. The most enjoyable part is obviously the people as well, those really nice ones that come about and make your day in 10 seconds.
Pros
slow paced, relaxed, stressless, free food, free live music
Cons
boredom
Productive fun place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 8, 2018
Fun typical day at work while going to college on the same campus. Nice co-workers training me and easy work to do not a heavy amount of work. Manager was nice and gave me good amount of hours a week.
Pros
Fun co-workers
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun place to meet various students
College Assistant - Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Loved talking to people and helping them, and this became the most enjoyable part of the job.
The management was friendly and they guided me on the right path. They often give you second chances, which I had been given one. I am so grateful for loving kindness the management showed to me during my time as a College Assistant - Front Desk student employee.Thank you, and many blessings to you all.
good entry level job
excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Good place to start a career, with flexible hours. Great job for a student or someone who would like to work in higher education. Staff and management are great
Great place to work, fexibale
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Great place to work while you pursue your education, fexibale hours and great people. I would recommend to work here, Only thing that is annoying is that you get payed monthly, but hey it's a job, I would not rely on COC as a main source of income, unless your full time.
Pros
fexibale hours
Cons
would not rely on COC as a main source of income, unless your full time.
For a college, the environment is very reluctant to change archaic work environment in regards to technology.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CADecember 4, 2017
In action, the student development department is very reluctant in embracing new automated approaches to the administration of its responsibility to the student body. Instead, it hinders any progressive changes to its detriment and to the disservice of the student body.
Pros
Great school and president
Cons
The college automation excellence is department compartmentalized.
Junior university campus
Custodial Crew (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 27, 2017
COC was a great place to work. I enjoyed very much working with all of the staff and management team. My direct supervisor was very reasonable and understanding. Most if not all of the other departments were also a pleasure to work with and your work always went noticed.
Pros
Good compensation, reasonable hours, vacation pay.
Cons
Sometimes the work can be quite demanding.
Worth being a student in College of the Canyons
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAOctober 16, 2017
it was worth being student in college of the Canyons, because the hours were flexible with my school schedule and my personal schedule. Rather I had problems with a task my manager was open to any assistance with items to restock and cleaning up a room, helping other people find their resources for projects was a challenging position but I always try to find a solution, to create a less clustered area to work in.
Pros
Flexible time hours and less stressful
Cons
N/a
Congenial Atmosphere
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 17, 2017
CoC is a fantastic school to work for as a part-time adjunct faculty. We are part of a union which over many years has resulted in adjuncts being able to contribute to 401k type retirement plans, obtain health insurance, be paid for office hours and steadily receive raises. The students are diverse in every sense of the word, age, race/culture, etc. I love meeting all of my students and getting to know them and be part of preparing them for a job as a paralegal or moving on to law school.
Pros
Free parking, paid faculty retreats, support of other faculty
Cons
No pay for work done outside of instructional time
Relaxing workplace with plenty of other people to associate with.
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CASeptember 13, 2017
I come in, sit at my office, and make sure that whoever asks me for help, get their problem resolved. I didn't learn that much. management was nonchalant and calm. The culture was welcoming. The hardest part was helping people with their problems. Easiest was taking a break.
Pros
Free food. I got to know more about the college of the canyons.
Cons
None.
Fun work place great staff
College Receptionist and GED Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 7, 2017
-learned a lot about the classes here from working here
-met a lot of very nice people from around everywhere
-the best part of the job was training new people how to do certain things they have never done before.
-the hours were never the best but very sweet coworker's
N/a
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 5, 2017
Great environment, everyone willing to help. Great looking campus, easy to find places. They offer tons of assistance if someone needs help. I highly recommend this college
ESL INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 1, 2017
College of the Canyons is a great place to work. It is very innovative in developing new class offerings to students. The campus has many new buildings. It offers a variety of professional development classes to instructors for free. The president is very creative and ingenious and very open to suggestions by the staff. She is a graduate of College of the Canyons graduate extended study programs. She is very inspirational.
It has a learning lab which offers free help and tutoring to students in any subject.
Pros
definitely there to promote student learning and retention
Track Coach (Current Employee) –  Canta clarita caAugust 28, 2017
Great place to work!the supervisor is easy going and makes it a fun environment to be in!!they are very flexible with the schedule and work with you if something comes up through the week!
Friendly, encourages advancement and education
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 22, 2017
I started as a temp from an outside agency and was hired by the school soon after as a part time employee, this was extended many times based on my performance, but the security and opportunity to move to a higher position was not there. My boss was outstanding and very encouraging. He/she was instrumental in my raise and acquired skills.
Community college in Santa Clarita
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAAugust 3, 2017
Nice campus with a huge studentbody. English department staff is very supportive and helpful but the pay is low. The students are diverse and most are eager to work.
Pros
Good support and training
Cons
Low pay
Working with students is very rewarding.
Instructor's Assistant Costume Shop (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 3, 2017
Working with the college students was very rewarding. The class was well organized and I felt the students always appreciated my time and instructions. I would be happy if the college offered the class in summer as well.
Great place
Associate Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 17, 2017
If you like to teach it is a great place to work. There is a good feeling of community there. While College of the Canyons is in a growing community it still has the hometown feel.