College of the Canyons Employee Reviews

I love working at the college
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 3, 2019
I enjoyed working with people and students. The college is very clean and promotes a collaborative environment. The students in the College of the Canyons are diversified and willing to learn. My fellow faculty members are very helpful and joyful to work with.
Wonderful company to work for
WORKERS' COMPENSATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 21, 2019
Everyone was nice, professional and helped each other. Was hired as a temp employee however, would have been honored to remain there until retirement. Great benefits for their employees.
Great Place to work
Lead Computer Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAAugust 20, 2019
Great place to work if you are a student at College of the Canyons. Even after you graduate, they provide paths to securing full time employment in your department. Would recommend to students who need to work at school.
Administrator Review
Mid-Level Manager (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 3, 2019
Before I get into the heart of the review, COC has excellent faculty members (both PT and FT), thereby the good faculty employment reviews. If you are considering a faculty position - go for it. COC is excellent in this regard. For the academic administrator, the typical work week is > 60 hours (marginally expected). Compensation is average, per community college standards (expected). Stress is over the top (abnormal stress levels).
Pros
Great Benefits and great faculty
Cons
Toxic culture
Fun Place to work and Very Beneficial for Students
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Financial Aid OfficeJune 19, 2019
College of the canyons does a great job of working around their students academic schedule and are very understanding. I highly recommend working here.
Pros
Priority registration for students, flexible schedule
Cons
Can get overwhelming to manage long hours and school
Its a good place to work
Student Services Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 5, 2019
It's a pretty good place to work. Moving up, however, is incredibly difficult as hiring is more politically based than ability based. If HR or the department you're trying to get a position in doesn't already know you, GOOD LUCK with getting in.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard to find room for growth
Great Experience working as a Tutor at College of the Canyons
College Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAMay 11, 2019
COC gives you a schedule based on your classes you are taking during the school year. This is very flexible and allows us to easily manage school and work.
average place to work
CTE Advisory Board Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAApril 24, 2019
There was a lot of "good ole boy" networking going on. Difficult to move forward, be promoted unless you were part of the "in crowd". Flexible schedule for me as I was a part-time person
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits, difficult promotion
Instructor Construction Management (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Teaching is the most gratifying job I have ever held, and College of the Canyons is a wonderful and friendly environment to work in.All of my fellow professors are a pleasure to work with.
fun and engaging environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 5, 2019
I was a tutor so I worked at TLC helping people with HW and other general math or science questions. Sometimes it would get bust but the other tutors were friendly and always willing to help out.
nice place, good place to work if you go to school there
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 25, 2019
take teachers there packages and keep work area clean. you get to drive the cart to the classes to make the time they recieve there items faster and its a good work enviroment
Pros
free food
Cons
boring
Fun co-workers and bosses
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 22, 2019
it's a nice place. they are fair. sometimes it gets difficult when teachers arent on the same page. overall i enjoy it. It is critical thinking and mind work. sometimes ESL students are hard to tutor
Humble collegues
College Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 9, 2019
I enjoyed working at COC. There was always a positive attitude, and team work. I helped students make their way, and also offered special services. I also filed, and helped organize events.
Pros
Work/ Life Balance
Excellent
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 14, 2018
Amazing company to work for! I had a lot of fun. It was especially great for me since I was a former student there and had the opportunity to teach. College of the Canyons is what put me on my path to Geology.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAOctober 9, 2018
College of the Xamyons provides a structured way of providing work and feed back to further the growth of students. They provide a strong collaborative work environment that is a refreshing work environment
Good school, low pay
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAOctober 5, 2018
COC has excellent programs in a very pleasant setting in greater Los Angeles’ wonderfully pleasant climate. There is a distinct difference in the pay, benefits, and respect of part time teachers. The school is an upper class community but there are many good students who can’t afford a four year university. Classrooms are bright and airy and the equipment is wonderful. COC has a generally pleasant and safe environment. All and all, it is a wonderful place to work despite the very low pay and certain inequities in treatment of full and part time instructors. I would recommend the school to any instructor who is willing to teach where compensation is not what it should be.
Pros
Wonderful teaching environment
Cons
Very low pay compared to other Los Angeles area schools
Fast-paced, informative, and fun, while progressing in your field
Rental Associate (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 26, 2018
The work environment was very quick-paced and you were always on the move, however it was very informative, and enjoyable. You found yourself working hard and making connections with the professors who could provide work later either through their own projects or referencing you as a person to fulfill a job needing to be done.
Pros
Informative, enjoyable, great.
Cons
Lack of full time hours
great job during school.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 24, 2018
i worked as a college assistant. my bosses were great and obviously very focused on school. I learned a lot working in the offices at the college of the canyons.
Nice place to work
Kinesiology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 15, 2018
College of the canyons is a great community college to work for, specifically the kinesiology/exercise science department. The environment is relaxed and classes can be taught as the instructor sees fit.
Fun work environment with plenty to learn
College Assistant/Rental Associate (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 13, 2018
I want to secure more in the entertainment industry, and I found that working in the MEA department of College of the Canyons was very rewarding and beneficial, because it was both educating and allowed me to make more connections in my field.
Pros
Lunches were still on the clock
Cons
Hours were limited