College of the Desert Employee Reviews

Great place to work while in school
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 21, 2018
COD is a great work community. Everyone is very friendly and really works with you so you succeed not only at work but school as well. The managers at the bookstore and DSPS office were amazing leaders who really cared for their employees. Highly recommend these positions.
Good working conditions very positive atmosphere.
Assistant Baseball Coach (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 16, 2018
The College of the Desert is a great environment with many opportunities and a very friendly staff and a positive atmosphere. I enjoy the people, the location, and the local community in the area.

The job is a very typical junior college baseball working environment.

I enjoyed working with the players through development both in the classroom and on the field. Matriculation onto the 4-year college experience was the focus of the job and giving the players a great environment to learn, grow and become well-rounded student-athletes and future fathers and coaches.

I enjoy going to work every day conducting all of the elements of the baseball training experience.
Pros
Very open and positive working environment.
Cons
Not enough upward mobility in this position.
College of the Desert
Special Teams Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 11, 2018
My time at College of the Desert was wonderful. I was fortunate enough to be in a fortunate position prior to that allowed me to coach football collegiately solely out of passion.

However, coaching football is not something I want to do professionally.
Working as an intern in HVAC gave me the skills for employment.
HVAC Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 11, 2018
Very positive working directly with both instructor and staff. We covered all areas of HVAC as well as maintenance tasks and use of both hand and power tools.
Pros
Great environment
fun worplace
Tutor- Academic Skills Center (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 3, 2018
very friendly and professional, working at College of the Desert can be very challenging and stressful at times because of the constant interruptions at the workplace.
adjunct professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 2, 2018
I love working at COD. It is a vibrant culturally diverse environment. Management is supportive. Students are there to learn and appreciative of the opportunity they have there.
Excepitional learning environment!
HR Generalist graduate (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 21, 2018
An exceptional learning environment, inclusive of instructors, learning platforms and support systems to maximize student graduation and work placement!
Unprofessional
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 16, 2018
I was hired on as an adjunct faculty. I was supposed to help start up a new program, however, I haven’t heard from the COD in 6 months. I called and emailed with no response. I emailed again a week later and HR got back to me stating the equivalency board found me unqualified and I shouldn’t have been considered for the position in the first place. They admitted they shouldn’t have even called me for an interview. I completed all of the required on boarding process on my dime in their error. I have billed them for the money I had spent with no avail. They also did not apologize for their error.
Pros
Cons
Errors are made and apologies are not, Unprofessional, incompetent employees in HR
College of the Desert
Solutions Kiosk (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJanuary 20, 2018
Beautiful views but low pay. Lots of hours that need to be covered and no extra pay to cover the hours. But the free open space makes it feel like a vacation everyday.
Pros
Lovely place
Great Place to Work - Difficult to be hired as permanent employee
Substitute Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 1, 2017
College of the Desert is a great place to work. However, it is very difficult to be hired as a full-time employee. This is primarily due to the fact that the College hires primarily from within. Also,since there are so few good paying administrative jobs in the Coachella Valley, there are a ton of applicants for every administrative position at the school. Additionally, please recognize that this is a fairly small school compared to a large University and that the wheels of progress move very slow and this can be frustrating to someone that wants a faster pace and not as much bureaucracy that a smaller school embraces.
Pros
Good pay for the Coachella Valley
Cons
Hard to get hired and very slow to act on most subjects
Good benefits provided by employer
Bursar's Technician (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 22, 2017
A typical day at work in College of the Desert can be very challenging due to constant interruptions at the workplace. I am constantly learning new things in a changing environment.
Pros
Good health benefits and numerous vacation days.
Cons
You have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy in order to get things done.
Fun work flow great staff
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 20, 2017
pros student work allows you to go to class they work around you
cons you cant work past 4 or 5 at least that was y situation I am not sure if every department is different.
Wonderful workplace
ADMISSIONS & RECORDS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 13, 2017
College of the desert is a dynamic and fast pace work place and it is a diverse and productive place to work. staff and faculty are always helpful and supportive or one another.
Great location; some excellent people to work with
Vice President Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 6, 2017
Spectacular location to live and work; College is an integral part of the community; some excellent people who care about students; recommend you check it out for potential work
Buen ambiente buen trabajo
Recepcionista (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 22, 2017
Tutora de ingles y espanol
Recepcionista, mantener registro de los estudiantes que entran y salen del centro de tutoria.
Generalmente muy buen ambiente de trabajo, un lugar tranquilo donde el aprendizaje es clave.
fun environment, great people.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 25, 2016
Being greeted and feeling the love each and every day, no matter the personal issues. Collaborating with co-workers to satisfy customers, every one always willing to help
Pros
grat birthday lunches, and end of the year celebrations
Cons
not enough hours.
Fast paced child care facility
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 5, 2016
Great place to learn and keep up with a busy administrative routine.
Enjoyable atmosphere from managers to employees to parents and babies.
Great learning environment with a real team like comradery.
Lab Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Everyday is a positive experience full of exciting people. In the technical mechanical setting this workplace provides it is almost impossible not to learn something new each and everyday.
A campus going through transformation which values student success.
Director, Library & Learning Resources (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 16, 2015
Each day is a new beginning at COD. The staff is incredible as they work as a team to accomplish the tasks at hand. Students and student success is a priority. The librarian liaison program is a success as librarians work with faculty to create a meaningful presentation on accessing library resources to succeed in their courses.
Staff in the Academic Skills Center work well with tutors to pair them with students to meet academic success.
I have learned to ask a lot of questions and to listen to those who have a lot experience or expertise in the department. There is a great deal of creativity among experienced staff.
The hardest part of the job is the time needed to get to know the college campus and organizational structure in a complex and challenging environment. The greatest satisfaction is having students thank you for the time you gave them or cheering them on to fulfill their academic dream.
Pros
Student engagement, athletic programs, theatre and the arts
Cons
Having adequate or timely public transportation between campuses based on schedule of classes.
Going over and above to give good customer service to students, faculty, staff, and the public
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 9, 2015
A fun place to work with supportive management. In the Counseling Center, we served approximately 200 students during a typical day. There were many opportunities to serve on various committees within the College, i.e., the Health and Welfare Committee, the College Council, etc., and opportunities for advancement.

Why did I leave?
I took an early retirement incentive in order to move back to Colorado.
Pros
Great health benefits, free classes for both employees and their children.
Cons
A decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a large community college.