College of the Desert Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palm dDecember 28, 2018
The employees at COD are very professional and nice. Nice place to work. I worked for one of the best Transfer Counselors I have ever met. The working environment was great. There was lack of supervision, communication and involvement by the Dean on a daily, monthly basis. She delegated that job to her Administrativa Assistant.
Pros
nice campus, nice employees
Cons
Lack of communication from the top administrative supervisor.
No control with the Union
Purchasing Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 25, 2018
It is tough working in a workplace where there is a union. It tends to defend the most difficult people. In a working environment with unions people tend to take advantage of the situations/system. They only go to work to collect a paycheck. Where there are people that really need to go to work to survive and appreciate the opportunity.
Pros
Great executives
Cons
Unions
Supportive Environment
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 21, 2018
College of the Desert is supportive and understanding of its employees. They will work around your schedule and have an open line of communication to voice concerns.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Too many redundant training sessions
Math Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 16, 2018
Tutored students on a walk in basis. Helped with math concepts so that students would be better able to complete a math assignment alone. Anticipate students' needs.
Pros
Working with math students
Cons
Student work is not career work.
Good working conditions very positive atmosphere.
Assistant Baseball Coach (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 16, 2018
The College of the Desert is a great environment with many opportunities and a very friendly staff and a positive atmosphere. I enjoy the people, the location, and the local community in the area.

The job is a very typical junior college baseball working environment.

I enjoyed working with the players through development both in the classroom and on the field. Matriculation onto the 4-year college experience was the focus of the job and giving the players a great environment to learn, grow and become well-rounded student-athletes and future fathers and coaches.

I enjoy going to work every day conducting all of the elements of the baseball training experience.
Pros
Very open and positive working environment.
Cons
Not enough upward mobility in this position.
Great place to work while in school
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 21, 2018
COD is a great work community. Everyone is very friendly and really works with you so you succeed not only at work but school as well. The managers at the bookstore and DSPS office were amazing leaders who really cared for their employees. Highly recommend these positions.
good
Full-time student (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 5, 2018
good place to work and a lot of job opportunity,really nice place to be around. they have alot of unit and cooling tower plus chiller. good place to learn how to work on chillers.
Fun and productive
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 18, 2018
Working at College of the Desert helped me to get to know people who are working in learning a new language. By being their tutor, helped me to learn time management and lesson planning
College of the Desert
Special Teams Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 11, 2018
My time at College of the Desert was wonderful. I was fortunate enough to be in a fortunate position prior to that allowed me to coach football collegiately solely out of passion.

However, coaching football is not something I want to do professionally.
Working as an intern in HVAC gave me the skills for employment.
HVAC Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 11, 2018
Very positive working directly with both instructor and staff. We covered all areas of HVAC as well as maintenance tasks and use of both hand and power tools.
Pros
Great environment
Unprofessional
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 16, 2018
I was hired on as an adjunct faculty. I was supposed to help start up a new program, however, I haven’t heard from the COD in 6 months. I called and emailed with no response. I emailed again a week later and HR got back to me stating the equivalency board found me unqualified and I shouldn’t have been considered for the position in the first place. They admitted they shouldn’t have even called me for an interview. I completed all of the required on boarding process on my dime in their error. I have billed them for the money I had spent with no avail. They also did not apologize for their error.
Pros
Cons
Errors are made and apologies are not, Unprofessional, incompetent employees in HR
adjunct professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 2, 2018
I love working at COD. It is a vibrant culturally diverse environment. Management is supportive. Students are there to learn and appreciative of the opportunity they have there.
fun worplace
Tutor- Academic Skills Center (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 3, 2018
very friendly and professional, working at College of the Desert can be very challenging and stressful at times because of the constant interruptions at the workplace.
Excepitional learning environment!
HR Generalist graduate (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMarch 21, 2018
An exceptional learning environment, inclusive of instructors, learning platforms and support systems to maximize student graduation and work placement!
Great Place to Work - Difficult to be hired as permanent employee
Substitute Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 1, 2017
College of the Desert is a great place to work. However, it is very difficult to be hired as a full-time employee. This is primarily due to the fact that the College hires primarily from within. Also,since there are so few good paying administrative jobs in the Coachella Valley, there are a ton of applicants for every administrative position at the school. Additionally, please recognize that this is a fairly small school compared to a large University and that the wheels of progress move very slow and this can be frustrating to someone that wants a faster pace and not as much bureaucracy that a smaller school embraces.
Pros
Good pay for the Coachella Valley
Cons
Hard to get hired and very slow to act on most subjects
College of the Desert
Solutions Kiosk (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJanuary 20, 2018
Beautiful views but low pay. Lots of hours that need to be covered and no extra pay to cover the hours. But the free open space makes it feel like a vacation everyday.
Pros
Lovely place
Cons
Good benefits provided by employer
Bursar's Technician (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 22, 2017
A typical day at work in College of the Desert can be very challenging due to constant interruptions at the workplace. I am constantly learning new things in a changing environment.
Pros
Good health benefits and numerous vacation days.
Cons
You have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy in order to get things done.
Wonderful workplace
ADMISSIONS & RECORDS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 13, 2017
College of the desert is a dynamic and fast pace work place and it is a diverse and productive place to work. staff and faculty are always helpful and supportive or one another.
Fun work flow great staff
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 20, 2017
pros student work allows you to go to class they work around you
cons you cant work past 4 or 5 at least that was y situation I am not sure if every department is different.
The faculty, staff and students always worked together to promote the college campus unity
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working in three distinct departments. In each department I worked with students, faculty and classified staff. I was able to use my administrative skills, but was also introduced to assisting in the hiring process of classified and certificated staff. I also was able to participate in fundraisers for the college.
Pros
The College was always trying to improve relations between students, staff and community
Cons
Needed more off-site locations