Collegium Charter School

Collegium Charter School Employee Reviews

A typical day for me is taking attendance and lunch count. I then go through student folders and start the day. I help out in the classroom teaching lessons, reading stories and making up work. I also take the students to lunch and recess.
I chose to work at CCS because I did my student teaching there and fell in love with the school. It celebrates diversity and most the staff and administrators were compassionate and hard working people. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching a struggling student have that lightbulb moment and seeing the joy in their face. One of the hardest parts of the job was dealing with PSSA's. State testing began to drive all curriculum decisions rather than the needs of the students. This became apparent as the demographic of our student body started changing and we had more and more students with emotional support needs. It became increasingly difficult to support their emotional needs and successfully teach. Due to lack of funds spent on trained support staff to assist teachers I felt I could no longer be an effective teacher.
The job is ok and that is mostly because of the students, their improvement, growth and happy smiling faces on the daily. The management level is a bit overwhelmed with phenomenal ideas, yet a lack of personnel to carry out saidgoals.
Pros
holiday time off, 403b plan, health benefits
Cons
no room to advance
I love working at Collegium Charter School. Everyone that I work with is great. It is like having a second family at work. Everyone is always willing to help each other.
The travel was a bit much considering the many things that they wanted me to do as a receptionist. Plan trips, detentions, answer phones, doors, scan files, coordinate staff activities and much more. Just wasn't a good fit especially considering the amount of travel to get there.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
My work day is very fast paced with the students. Safety is always first. The closeness of the team and the students is really something special. It can be hard not to become attached to the students.
Pros
Being a part of such a great team
Cons
That it is so part time
I work in the Emotional support room on a day to day basis. Quiet days are quiet, and busy days go by fast. It can be beneficial and rewarding to work in this room.
Collegium Charter School is a public charter school that pools students primarily from West Chester, Coatesville and Downingtown school districts. The main differences between Collegium Charter School and another public school are both the school day and year are slightly longer, and there is more special area content taught. An example of this is Spanish is taught beginning in Kindergarten. There are many opportunities to take on leadership roles and the building administration is very supportive and teacher-centric.
The students are wonderful and the Colleagues are great to work with. It can be stressful for new people to adapt to the unique school culture, but it definitely makes it a great school for me.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
longer school year
The work day is comparable to other schools. I have learned much about diversity of students, differentiation, special education, classroom management, leadership, and more. The workplace culture is very low in morale and motivation. More and more is piled upon the teachers and staff but nothing is taken away. Proper training is not offered for new curriculum and initiatives. The hardest part of the job is that there is no contract and reviews are subjective. What is considered a small mistake for one person is a termination-worthy offense for another. A union is much needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with children from a variety of backgrounds/cultures and learning from them. As CCS has grown in the last two decades, the children have become less and less of a focus. Now, the administration cannot see the children but now sees the dollar signs they represent. CCS has lost their focus.
Pros
PBIS System, flexible lesson planning
Cons
compensation versus workload
February 12, 2018
Collegium Charter School's first priority is ALWAYS our students! We are a tuition-free, independent K-12 public school offering families a choice for their child’s elementary and secondary education. And nearly 3,000 students' families make Collegium their choice! For a sampling of Collegium's heart and focus, check out our most recent Newsletter for families (https://spark.adobe.com/page/8x3eOnRfbNXpm/). In it, you'll also see an this week's Employee Spotlight, where we interview employees about what they do at Collegium and why they love working here!Find more Employee Spotlight videos on the Employment page of Collegium's website (http://www.collegiumcharter.com/employment/). Thank you!
February 12, 2018
Collegium is engaged in an ongoing Compensation Review project that compares its salaries and benefits to those for comparable positions in the marketplace. Many of our employees have received salary increases as a result. Collegium employees also enjoy a generous and thorough--but affordable--benefits plan that includes, but is not limited to, medical and dental insurance and a 403(b) Retirement Account with an employer match. If you have a minute, watch a few of our "Employee Spotlight" videos on the Employment page of Collegium's website (http://www.collegiumcharter.com/employment/). In the videos, one employee each week shares what they do at Collegium, and why they enjoy working at our school. Thank you!
February 12, 2018
After a recent Comprehensive Compensation Review initiative, Collegium increased salaries and is now comparable to neighboring public school districts. Collegium employees also enjoy a comprehensive and generous benefits package. To learn what employees say about working at Collegium, take a minute to watch a few of our "Employee Spotlight" videos on the Employment page of our website (http://www.collegiumcharter.com/employment/). Thank you!
This school caters to a diverse population of students with many different learning styles. The administration and the staff are dedicated to meeting all of the students' needs.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Long school days and long school year
A lot of the students at Collegium are brought in from Coatesville and have no accountability to staff and other students. There is a lot of aggressive behavior by certain minority students in this district. Teachers are blamed for failing to manage certain improprieties by students. They need more security in this school district. I wouldn't recommend sending your child to this school. Catholic schools are still the best and don't tolerate disrespect and coddling bad behavior. Moreover, this school system is a waste of tax payer dollars and should be shut down.
Pros
Hard working teachers
Cons
Thug students in uniforms
If you work in the administration part of this school expect to be unappreciated, overworked and underpaid. Coworkers are very unprofessional.
Pros
Cons
No structure whatsoever.
February 12, 2018
Collegium's employees are motivated and positive professionals who make our students their primary focus!Take a minute to check out the Employee Spotlight videos on the Employment page of Collegium's website (http://www.collegiumcharter.com/employment/). There's a resounding theme: Employees love Collegium because of the "people"!The spotlights feature weekly interviews with employees who talk about what they do and why they do it at Collegium. You can view other Collegium videos and Employee Spotslights on our YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKhbmispXCp2mn3jXMLp04A).
I love and enjoyed working with the children, lack of communication with staff, leadership stinks. Teachers and assistants are devoted to the children. Not a fun place to work
Pros
benefits, students
Cons
no summer work available to new hires, terrible pay
February 12, 2018
You can hear first-hand from Collegium Charter School employees about what they do and why they love working at our school. Take a moment to view some Employee Spotlight videos on the Employment page of our website (http://www.collegiumcharter.com/employment/). Thank you!
I enjoy working with the students and the faculty. Small class sizes allow me to give individual attention to my students on a regular basis.
An experienced college preparatory school located in Chester County, PA. The excellent staff/faculty are a great set of people to work with.
I enjoyed my time at CCS and learned a lot that has helped me further my career.
The school is a caring place for the children. The school days are longer, as well as the school year.