Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Great support system for entrepreneurial minded agents to build their business for a long-term carrier.
Territory Coordinator/Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2019
Prospected every day. Account manage and coordinated group enrollments. Work hard but enjoyable. Flexible schedule. Supports personal growth. Allows you to work independently.
Productive and fun place
MAIL SORTER (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 11, 2019
The company was good to work for benefits was good and the management was great the work pace was amazing and friendly coworkers too team based company
Pros
Pto
Cons
Long hrs
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OH 43017January 9, 2019
The two most enjoyable parts of this job is working with the awesome group of agents at the office and learning about new
companies in Columbus.

I enjoy working with other competitive people.
That helps keep me motivated
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Fluctuating salary
The times they are a'changin.
Withheld (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 8, 2019
The company does not stand behind their stated values when it comes to requiring their staff to treat people with respect, dignity, and equity.

This used to be a wonderful company to work for. They have amazing, market-forward product and platform development and by and large the home office is amazing to work with.

It's unfortunate so many good, amazing top-producing folks have left because of a recent influx of extremely antagonistic, unknowledgeable and unsupportive managers. Some states are led well... some I would suggest you avoid at all cost if you value knowledgeable training, camaraderie, fairness, peace in your life and encouragement in your sales efforts.
Pros
Forward-thinking market strategy, makes sales easier
Cons
Awful, awful treatment of even top-producing sales teams
Stay away
DGA (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 5, 2019
It will depend on who your TSM and their W2 team as to wether it is good! STAY AWAY FROM Virginia/DC...W2 team thinks that the sales force worked for them. This is a 1099 position that they treat and demand like they are paying you. Its commission and if the TSM and team "aren't on board" with you them you are screwed. Accounts are given and taken at the TSM's will...no ethics in this operation.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
their job pitch sounds better than reality
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 2, 2019
commission only is tough. its not only selling insurance but maintaining the relationship, as well as determining whether or not to even sell the insurance to a prospective buyer. if the buyer fails to pay premiums months down the line, the sales agent incurs charge backs and loses money even though they did nothing wrong.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no Benefits, no salary, commission only, clients don't always pay premiums which causes charge backs and loss of income.
Unique Culture
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 27, 2018
Typical day is cold calling prospects and or recruiting new employees. Management is relaxed as we are all working as individual contractors within Colonial Life. Managers are receptive to questions, but occasionally keep or hold back information. Managers are very knowledgeable yet don't work at training new hires to bring them along more quickly
Pros
Freedom to work independently and at own pace
Cons
Lack of structure or followed structure.
Not Worth the gas
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, ALDecember 25, 2018
Not worth the gs you waste driving to work. You get paid commission without base pay which is garbage. This is not a good job if you like quick and guaranteed money
Overall good company for 1099 commission sales
Regional Broker Market Manager (RBMM) (Former Employee) –  West Coast, 7 StatesDecember 19, 2018
Most of the positions at Colonial are commission only. Good opportunity for solid growth. A little too much "channel conflict"...competing with each other, which is a turn off to some of the partners they work with.
Pros
Very entrepreneurial
Cons
Commission only, very competitive internally
Most Exciting and Impactfull Career I Ever Had
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 10, 2018
Finally I received the comp I deserve. I learned and internalized the training. Now I am self reliant and earning the living I always thought I could. Thank you for leadership and the self development.
Pros
Worklife balance, renewal income, self development
Cons
Accountable for persoanl effort, for me not an issue but for others I saw them fail
Can be a fun place if you are successful
Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZDecember 9, 2018
Very micromanagement style. otherwise fairly good. Called about 400 companies daily. You used their speil, the hardest was getting past the gatekeeper. It was enjoyable when you got appointments.
Pros
Worked at your pace
Cons
everyone was in one room calling at the same time
This was the most unprofessional place I ever worked
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALDecember 8, 2018
I was leary of working in the insurance industry to begin with but I never dreamed that the manager who hired me would just shut the office down without telling anyone and leave the agents without anyone to guide them nor an office to go to. Not only that, the manager above him who I thought would look out for us was only interested in the accounts we were working on. I would run from this company. They are out for themselves!
If you like sales...
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 30, 2018
Worked pretty hard to get my life insurance license. I thought the job would be good and we would already have leads to sell to, nope. You have to come up with them on your own and they use a library database to look for business that are registered in certain areas. If you can find their phone number, then you give them a call. So basically a lot of cold calling and then you try to schedule a time to visit them. Most business do not want to be bothered. Management is nice, relaxed and totally encouraging but the big thing was THERE IS NOT BASE PAY for sales. You're only paid commission.

If you like solely commission pay and have some broker friends lined up to sell to, maybe this is the job for you.
Pros
Study material for your life insurance test provided and no cap on commissions
Cons
No Base Pay
not a place for slackers
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WANovember 26, 2018
unless you put in a lot of effort and good with calling companies and trying to get ahold of the business owners don't bother to be honest otherwise youre wasting time and money.
Pros
you do have a oppurtunity to earn money
Cons
you probably wont earn anything for first 6 months on average since its 100% commision
Business opportunity
ASR (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCNovember 18, 2018
As an ASR or sales rep for this company you are self employed (commission only but not captive) If you don't realize that walking in with your eyes open you in for a rude awakening. It does take time (2-5 years) to build a strong book of business and thus a consistent income. That is in any insurance sales position. The deal is with colonial if you like the insurance business mainly marketing life and health products to corporate entities and can or really determine to make it through the initial start up phase this can be a six figure career working on your terms. The company has good products and reputation in the business. Those who make it will create an asset for themselves. The two top producers in my office had been there 10 years but were both making over $200,000. Most people come to this position with a job mentality ( its a business opportunity...not a job) which is doomed for failure. Second, just realize because it is commission only there are no ceilings ( yeah) but don't expect a floor initially either. You have to do what you have to do to make it work. Position requires maximium buy in and ownership to make it work.
Pros
Enterpenerual opportunity, possible to earn high income
Cons
Initial start up period, have to do to make it work, It is like sports...management can and hopefully can be your coach but you have to make the plays
The company use to be family oriented until the merger. Sending most positions overseas.
Claims Examiner I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 15, 2018
The company use to be family oriented and employee friendly.Since the merger the training is poor throughout the company. For some positions,the employee might receive a few weeks in the classroom but mainly trains himself during OJT and is held accountable for stats.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor training, poor management
Meh
Sales (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 14, 2018
This is a part time gig for me, luckily. I started out having the moon promised but the hierarchy is such that if you aren't a favorite of the area manager then no support and no business will be sent your way. If you are someone who never wants to get help or ask a question and you already have a few brokers as best friends then it might be a good fit. I have been with the company many years and I have never gotten an answer to a question from my manager who makes money off my work, btw. I am told to call home office every time. Unless you hit all the bonuses you dont make much money. The big trip every year is amazing, very lifestyle of the rich and famous, but only a small percentage make the trip and it's the same people every year because of the aforementioned favoritism. Hours are wonky, lots of last minute stuff. If you just want some fun money and have a few friends who are brokers, it's cool. I've watched a lot of people come and go. Seems like most of the people who make it are cut from the same mold: mostly guys, not that many with college degrees, like to drink kinda hard even as they get old, plays golf. If this is you, welcome!
Flexible schedule
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 13, 2018
Good company to work for if you have a second income that does not detract from the current position. It is hard to make money during the first 1-3 years.
Pros
Great people, lots of team activities, lots of free lunches
Cons
hard to make money in the first few years.
Wasn't what i was looking for
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 8, 2018
I didn't like the way they paid their commissions and all the upper management wanted me to do was turn my business from Aflac to Coloninal Life in which I would have lost my renewals.
Ok
Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 2, 2018
CLA is growing and opportunities are endless for employees. Diversity and Inclusion is huge initiative. Management is average and support of employee's professional development is below average.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

4.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight