Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Flexible Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 22, 2018
You have to be flexible to work here. And you need allot of money in the bank because it is 100% commission. It is better to live near a branch office.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Commission work
The overall is great
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 21, 2018
Remove sorted mail into bins and place it into appropriate trays for further processing.
Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
Managed and sorted incoming and outgoing mail, parcels, and flats.
Completed mailing activities such as loading and and feeding mails into DBCS Automation
machine operator.
Establish safe work methods, procedures, and safety precautions while performing all duties.
Really nice place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 20, 2018
A really nice place to work, they are very organized. Enjoyable work environment. Directors are excellent. We can learn while we work with them. Recommended 100%
Pros
all
New Indian leadership in IT will make things very tough on the current staff.
Technology Capability Manager (TCM) (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 16, 2018
Early morning meetings and late meetings caused for very long days.
New technology direction will focus more on web/distributed presence and less on the mainframe.
Not much support. It's all up to the individual.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 16, 2018
I have been working with Colonial Life for 4 months. To date, I have received very little training beyond the CBTs offered on line. The team where I work is very much focused on the "just do it" mentality as opposed to mentoring and coaching.

The job itself is strictly cold calling to find opportunities with no defined territories or leads. They believe you just get out there and go from business to business to find opportunities with no real structure, therefore we are all running into accounts another one has already been in. It's not the most effective or efficient way of finding companies to do business with.
Pros
flexible schedule, potential to make money
Cons
no structure, mentoring or coaching to help people succeed.
Fun environment and schedule is flexible.
ADM Assistant (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLOctober 16, 2018
I would call local businesses and find out if they were interested in supplemental benefits and if their employees qualify they can be refereed to an enrollment manager who meets with them to sign them up for those benefits. I also organized all paperwork.
Large Corporation
Agency Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 15, 2018
I was a new sales rep, just learning; was not comfortable with commission only; agency manager was willing to help; mentors were helpful; many training resources
Pros
freedom to set own hours
good co
Agency Development Manager-Employee Benefits (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 14, 2018
every day is different. I was in charge of hiring , training, and sales. I was area development manager. The culture is very positive. The hardest part of the job is the extreme amount of traveling.
Pros
exciting
A nice place to Work
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Colonial Insurance. The sales environment is/was very competitive. I enjoyed working with the LA County employee's. My boss at the time encouraged me to chase a dream of helping people in a more direct way!
Pros
Lots of free sales items
Cons
Long hours to be successful
Great company
Employee Retention Specialists (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAOctober 8, 2018
Great company with unlimited opportunity to everyone willing to do the work. I love the people and the atmosphere of the people I work with both at the local and corporate level. Everyone at this company is here to help.
Great place to work if you are already wealthy
ACCOUNT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Florida - remote/telecommutedOctober 5, 2018
This review is for any position under a DGA (District General Agent, i.e. the Manager at an independent affiliated office of Colonial). These DGA's "own" their offices and they and their "employees" are not employed by the corporate office where salaries are standard. The "employees" under a DGA are typically listed as ASR's (Agency Sales Reps) whether your position is sales or not. The entire office depends on commissions. As an appointed ASR, you make work under any DGA though it is encouraged to work under just one because it's a numbers game and each DGA wants your sales to "roll up" under his office so they can receive bonuses.

If you have wealth, or are married and your spouse is the primary income provider, this job may be great for you. If you are single and trying to earn a living and with no other support, such as from family, this job is not for you.

The hours can be extremely long, up to seven days a week, all hours, if you expect to make enough in commissions to pay bills. However, if you need to take time out of normal business day for a personal matter you can, but you'll be working at night to make up the time. Because the job is remote, your expected to be available at a moments notice, even after normal business hours.

If you are unmarried, no children and expect to have a social life, or even take a Saturday to enjoy a day at the beach, forget it. Because the jobs are all commission based, including the administrative and case management positions within each district office, you are dependent upon the sales reps for income. There will be several
  more... months in a row, usually during summer, where you might receive $100 or less in commissions and you'll need to file for temporary unemployment benefits. Alternatively, there may be months where you receive anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 in commissions.

Commission payments are based on sales reps submitting their business each week. If they forget, and they do, or if management instructs them to hold the business because a client form wasn't submitted or some other required item is missing you do not get paid the following week. Because of this it is difficult to know if, when and how much you will be paid each week.

If you can stick it out for five or six years, then you may begin to see higher commissions, because of renewals and possible increased business providing your district manager balances sales with effective team support, but you'll never be able to relax and feel secure in your income. There are no paid vacations, no sick leave, no health benefits. You are listed as an independent contractor and must deduct your own taxes from your commissions. This job is great for people who do not have to worry about income. If you have to eat and pay rent don't expect to consistently do so with this job.
Pros
telecommute, flexibility
Cons
no financial security, stress, anxiety, worry, lack of sleep and personal life
Easy Work, but with it's Drawbacks
Mail Processor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 2, 2018
The most Enjoyable part of this job are the people that worked there.
The work it self was quite easy, but the Management could be a lot better. it's mostly sorting Mail and scanning in Claims and Scanning in Checks payable to Colonial. Now if i'm not mistaken you also have to do mail runs
Pros
Easy work, Get off in the middle of the day.
Cons
Have to work Weekends; set Schedule at 3am-2pm, Management doesn't listen to Employees about certain things that are going on .
Need solid financial base to start with
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 20, 2018
Great experience until I realized my lack of financial stability would hinder surviving long enough to get income rolling. I loved the never-say-die, figure-it-out mentality and the notion of motivating myself to do the work, rather than having someone feel the need to micro-manage me. I have the entrepreneurial mindset. Just in my case, it was a perfect storm situation in many areas of life where I though it best for all if I stepped aside.
Pros
Long-term finacial security; team atmosphere
Cons
Misleading lack of support to survive the all-important first year
Fun at First
Agency Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, ALSeptember 18, 2018
My issues are mostly with my personal management. Each district is different, so choose wisely. I had no support whatsoever and felt like no one had my best interest.
Good Company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CASeptember 17, 2018
The company is great. The only issue is the focus on pushing for direct business, but no one seems to write business directly, it all comes through Brokers.
I did not like Colonial. The Manager was bad.
Broker (Former Employee) –  West Monroe, LASeptember 9, 2018
The training was good. The manager pitted insurance producers against each other. Colonial was located in West Monroe, LA. It didn't furnish leads. Every call was a cold call.
Great development just not for me
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 7, 2018
If you are up to putting in the work and handling the rejection that can come with these types of sales, Colonial is an amazing place to work. Leaders who are active in development, team players who will partner with you to get accounts, a great training program.
I hate this job.
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 6, 2018
There is no set schedule. It's 100% commission, and there's a lot to learn. If you don't get out there fast and confidently, management leaves you in the dirt, no matter how much they say they want you to succeed. You're in business for yourself, so you have to be EXTREMELY driven to get anywhere.
Great company but manegment was not all that great.
Benefits Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 4, 2018
I worked as a benefits counselor for this company and injoyed every minute great people and environment would work for this company again. Only thing wrong was the manegment but that's everywhere you go.
Enjoy working with people, support of management.
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 29, 2018
Typical day involves prospecting and meeting with employers presenting the Colonial concept. Set your own schedule to balance home and work. Hardest part was finding new prospects within a limited area. Enjoyed meeting and talking to prospective clients.
Pros
Talking to and helping people, providing benefits that can protect lifestyle and their future, Paid travel and marketing materials. Training to improve your ability to succeed.
Cons
Long hours and a numbers game to find clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

4.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight