Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place for a Career!
Agency Development Manager (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTMay 21, 2018
Colonial is a fantastic company. No regrets. I was able to grow through the B2B process. The people there make it even better. I would advise starting as a sales rep and building a client base first as opposed to starting as a manager at first, unless you have management experience with building teams. Great company!
Pros
People, freedom, fun.
Cons
Management stretched thin, but it is what you make it.
Good pay but environment is very stressful due to management
VOLUNTEER BENEFIT SPECIALIST II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 20, 2018
Work is based on production and there are opportunities for advancement. There is a lot of freedom to make your own claims decisions. High level of risk management.
Pros
Pay is good, ability to work from home.
Cons
Stressful work environment, opportunities for advancement are few and far between
Integrity concerns
Agent/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 18, 2018
The local branch where I worked puts up a supportive game face. However, when I brought my concerns to the Regional director about the integrity of the business practices of the Sales Manager. I was slandered and experienced immense character assassination, sales and appointments were stolen from me. Eventually they revoked their contract with me because they felt that I was incapable of performing at a level that was satisfactory.
Pros
May be a great company as whole, but not at the branch where I worked
Cons
No integrity
sales agent
Independent agent (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 11, 2018
the office i work at was very friendly and has a staff of people for many years, they work as a team and they help you a lot with your enrollments once you get them.
Pros
free lunch work your own hours leads
A job when I needed it
Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 10, 2018
Good benefits abd good opportunity abnd better ideas burt lousy working conditions and lack of benefits abd lack of communication and cutthroat attitude
Always changing
Voluntary Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 6, 2018
Great company overall. Over time the work environment in some areas has deteriorated due to poor management. In the claims department specifically, there is room for improvement in terms of expectation of employees and stable work life balance.
Pros
The people are awrsome
Cons
Short staffed
Only YOU can determine how far you go!!!
District General Agent (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 1, 2018
If you are looking to own your own business take a look! The incentives are generous and you are fully vested after 10 years. The insurance business especially in the voluntary benefits arena are VERY competitive so just know what you are getting into.
The job that bolstered my career
AGENCY DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKApril 27, 2018
This is the perfect career opportunity for any young professional. The training is superb and the environment is unmatched. I love my time here. I would be happy to give as much as I can to help these people.
Pros
Compensation
Great Place to Work
Territory Sales Instructor & Sales Recruiting (Current Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXApril 24, 2018
great system to achieve sales goals and lots of support. Company has an outstanding outlook in the market place. contact me if you are interested in have a career not just a job
Lucrative business.
Agency Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 24, 2018
A typical day included writing proposals, selling product and maintaining records. I learned How to attain deadlines, keep accurate records and exhibit exemplary customer service skills.
Cut Throat, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TXApril 23, 2018
You will not get paid for the first three months until you get your license, you only get paid after closing a deal. Strictly commission and they want you to work 115%
work
INDEPENDENT INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 16, 2018
Colonial was great but hardly any work hours for part time staff. I had to always call in and later found out there was work but I was not informed to come in. I was frustrated with the Manager because he did not communicate with me on a regular basis.
Pros
set your own schedules
Cons
no communication among supervisor and staff
Commissioned sales
Benefits Counselor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 13, 2018
I found the leadership dedicated, enthusiastic, and engaging.

However, the job is commissioned sales. If you are not comfortable with that, do not bother.
Works for some, not for others
Associate Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2018
They offer a fair deal and good product, but you've got to work hard and get lucky. Some people are suited for sales, others are not. If you like networking and cold-calling, are patient, and have some connections, Colonial is a great opportunity.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Commission only
Boys Club
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 4, 2018
If you don't know anyone in the industry to get you going I wouldnt recommend this job. The industry is a broker based business in NYC but they try to push south carolina B2B principles on you.
When the accounts are there....
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 2, 2018
When the accounts are there the money is good, but sometimes it’ll take you a good solid three months to get going, if you can wait that long or are ok with 1099 contractual life then its a great place to work.
Team Oriented Atmosphere and Competitive
Agency Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTMarch 28, 2018
Simply, a company where you reap what you sow in an environment that is exciting and professional. A setting where the sky is the limit. Truly, a family in the workplace where you will receive the help and comradery you deserve. This is a position where you rely on your ability to be a leader and to work and strive to build your agency and the success of yourself and your peers. There are no illusions as to there being hard work and long days but that is nothing we are unfamiliar with. The defining factors are what comes of your efforts. You are rewarded in monetary, social, and developmental capacities unlike other companies and that is what sets Colonial Life apart. If you are motivated and driven as an individual and you are not afraid to break away from someone else telling you what your income and personal value should be, then this is the place to be a part of a work family and feel the personal reward of aiding those in need in their respective industries and workplaces.
Pros
Unlimited income potential, wonderful management, great atmosphere
Cons
Self-employed level of benefits (discounted nonetheless)
Commission
Account Coordinator/Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNMarch 23, 2018
Benefit Counselor job is great with decent opportunity to make a good living.

Account Coordinator job ended up being twice+ as much responsibility as was presented to me and the pay is mediocre for the position.
Pros
Growing industry and Colonial is in a great position for success
Cons
Every agency operates a little different
So Many Changes
Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 23, 2018
I worked at Colonial Life Insurance for three years. Overall I would say the management and culture is easy to be around. The senior leadership may not always understand the business needs and may make rapid changes without fully understanding the impacts.
amazing compensation for the time worked
ASR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2018
It takes a minute to learn the path of Voluntary Benefits for businesses at no cost to the business owner. With that said, Every case that you close pays big time. I am almost through with my first quarter and I am on pace to make 34,000. So glad I made the leap from a W-2 job to a 1099. I can pay down some bills....finally!!
Pros
Comp, Bonuses, trips, awesome training
Cons
phone calls, driving

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

4.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight