Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Great company
Agency Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 12, 2018
Great company, great co workers.

Good working environment. This is commission only sales.You earn what your worth is. If you don't work you don't get paid.
Very demanding job without payoff for awhile
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 11, 2018
This job can be great, but you need to work your butt off for months, if not years before you have any real shot at making a lot of money. Now, this may sound fine to you; "anyone can do that," you might say, and you would be right. However, after you have to work 5 days a week, 8 to 10 hour days, talking to business owners who don't really care about what you have to say and disrespect you as soon as you open a dialog with them for a couple months, and only have made about 12k for all your trouble; you might start to think differently. You will be left on your own for the most part, and while everyone I worked with was friendly, everyone wants to keep the business they get so don't expect much real help. I managed to work for this company for 8 long months, and just in my office alone, we have nearly 10 people come to work for a month and then quite... The turnover rate is insane, and if you are just looking to try something new and make some good money, I hope you have friends in very high places.
Pros
You are your own boss for the most part and you at least have the potential to go really far.
Cons
The pay is either insane or nothing for the most part, you will need to figure out most of the job for yourself because no one is going to hold your hand.
Motivated only by Money - this is your company.
Area Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 8, 2018
If you don't mind 100% commision, then definitly contract with this company. The voluntary benefits insurance industry is only going to become more and more mainstream.
Be ready for door to door "B2B" interactions
Pros
The industry is only going to be expanding.
Cons
No training. You are a number, not a person. Must have "flexible morals, " or this isn't a place you want to be.
Lack of Diversity
N/A (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 7, 2018
Nepotism is huge.There is a major lack of diversity with front line managers and specifically with executive leadership both internally and within the sales organization.
Pros
Community Involvement
Cons
Lack of diversity with executive leadership
Revolving door.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 6, 2018
Colonial Life and Accident insurance has a major revolving door problem in their call center. Employee retention is virtually nonexistant and management is not interested in developing their associates. Most employees do not last a year and those who do are trying desperately to get moved to a different department or get out of the company all together. The company line is: the turnover that you see is "positive attrition" and that all these people are getting promotions. The reality is about 70 to 80% of new hires wont make it beyond a year. As far as the job is concerned: expect high stress, zero support from management, and the constant fear of being fired for something that arbitrarily disturbs their ever so precious corporate metrics. When you are on the job here you cease being a person and are made into nameless, featureless, empty cog in a corporate machine that couldn't possibly care less about you. On the upside you get weekends off.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Everything else
Supportive comapany
Benefits Counselor (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 5, 2018
I did open enrollments for businesses of all sizes. I was always given the paperwork necessary and applicable for each business and management was extremely supportive.
Catty, Petty, Gossipy, Dishonest
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  DFW, TXAugust 1, 2018
This is a job that is very hard to make work for anyone who needs a good work environment. Keep in mind that as a contractor, you will not be considered an employee and therefore you really have no rights. There is no HR department to complain to about sexual harassment, stealing, or bullying. You are on your own if you are mistreated in any way and the only way to maintain any sort of career is to shut your mouth and accept whatever abuse is dished out. If your manager decides to steal your commissions, the corporate office will just shrug their shoulders because its really not illegal. Anything goes.
Management is incredibly self serving and they don't care if their sales reps are producing enough to get by. They only care if that their own goals are being met.
The team you are recruited into means everything. Not every manager recruiting newbies is capable of training. It all depends on who recruits you.
Productive fun workplace
Agency Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 30, 2018
How to market new clientele and retain book of business. Great mentoring program. Ability to work at own pace. Positive workplace culture. Marketing materials with great.
Pros
Mentoring
Cons
Marketing
Nice environement to work if you choose the correct department
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 26, 2018
Benefits great. Atmosphere and culture of company are great. Needs improvement in management dept. Flexibility could be better as well. overall a decent company again if you get in the right department
benefits
Cons
non flexibility in Contact Department;
Quick review
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 16, 2018
It's either feast or famine. There's a lot of money to be made, but it is very hard. You have to get in with the right team of management and they have to actually need to use you, or you will have no work. If you come in as an opener and work the system right you can get paid, but it takes a lot of time dedication and effort. Sometimes you ROI is not there. Because it is a sales job and you've got to be motivated. It is easy to lose motivation if you don't see the results.

Want to know more about Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company?

Ask a question
Great company just certain adjustments should be made
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed working for the company but there should be some changes for life issues that cant be controlled. In 2017 two months after I started working there I suffered a concussion. As a result I missed about 10 day. Those days were all counted against me, even with medical documentation. Also, the resource planning department should do a better job at getting back to employees when it comes to paid time off. I had to call out one day while on vacation because they approved all of my days except for one random Tuesday. Those two factors led to my termination and while I do feel that it was unfair, those are the current company guidelines.
Good company an culture
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 12, 2018
I am happy with the overall experience I have had with the company. They have a good compensation plan and offer good support to employees unlike previous companies I have worked for.
Contract work with a central office
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 10, 2018
I worked for colonial life just for the summer to get some sales experience, and I need it for a class. I wish it wasn't fully commission, but that's really the only reason I didn't like it.
Pros
Worked on your time
Cons
only commision
This is a sales position
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 9, 2018
Income is your commission. If you cannot afford to be without income for a long duration do not accept. No matter what is said, if you are not able to sell supplemental Health Insurance quickly you are going to starve. Love the job but could not make it work. For some not for others
Pros
Great training and management, their desire is to see you succeed
Cons
Could not afford to go any longer with minmal income
Great Company to Work -
Disability Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 6, 2018
Great company to work for. I truly love working for this Company. They offer flexible hours and you are able to work on the weekend (Saturday) if needed.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
n/a
Good money for the locoation; in a transition period
Manager III, service Operations (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 5, 2018
The company itself is undergoing a lot of change, lots of roles are transitioning.

Tons of employees have been here for years (10,15, 20 +) and have gotten minimal increases in pay.

Company is trying to implement lean methodologies but is not updating their operating systems so still not addressing the real problem
Company Values
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 26, 2018
Great company hands down to work for offer great benefits and compensation. The calls in the call center are back to back gives you insight on the different insurance we offer and claims able to be filed by the customer for benefits.
Not enough information to give a rating
Insurance/Worksite Agent (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 21, 2018
I started with Colonial, spent days in meetings, walked around a bit "cold calling", bothered all my friends and associates, but the fella who hired me took off somewhere else. Came into the office, seemed like there was all new people, even the receptionist. She asked me if I wanted a job. I picked my jaw up off the floor and left.
Pros
It's like not having a job.
Cons
It's like not having a par
Summary
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJune 14, 2018
Wonderful company to work with. Management provides extensive support. On-going training opportunities as well as advancement potential. Company promotes hiring from within the organization first. The company is good at developing the talent.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Daily travel
Colonial Life
Agent (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2018
Great resources and training. It is a commission job, so your income is only as good as the accounts you are able to open. I love the work culture. I believe in the products and enjoy working with the company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Straight commission

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

4.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight