Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company Employee Reviews

The TSM is an unethical individual who uses people to get what she wants and or needs. She will tell you what you need to hear so that she can use and abuse you until you are disloyal or question anything she says then you are done. Cutoff! The culture in the VA/DC office is not one of nurturing and growth. It is a culture of threats and ultimatums even when you are making your numbers. This is not a place at this moment where one can grow. Colonial Life is actually a great company from everything I experienced. However, avoid working under this state leadership at the moment. Until there is a changing of the guard it will continue to be a revolving door of people buying into a dream laid out by them with a very weak backside structure to support their claims. Trust me, I know! I hope this helps someone make a better decision than to join this company in this area at this time.
Pros
Good Company, good pay when you close deals, free lunch on Mon and Fri
Cons
VA/DC Office culture and leadership by TSM are horrible
I loved colonial for the best opportunity to gain a certain amount of trust from employers to be able to work with their company. It was fun and easy
Pros
Work environment, leads given, room for advancement
Cons
Commission based
Productive in a typical day always different but a great challege. Much support from all levels on management. Everyone wants you to suceed. Great time mangememt.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
No healthcare
Competitive Compensation and bonus opportunity are available. Experienced a lot of change in systems and strategy. It was a great experience to learn about to industry, but overall not the last stop in my career.
Pros
Free lunches, mileage reimbursement, free lodging for travel, company credit card.
Cons
A lot of change to systems and strategy.
Too many meetings taking up time that could be better spent with potential clients. These meetings were mainly what I would call "motivational workshops". Too much rah-rah and silly games designed for younger recruits instead of seasoned agents. I found a lot of time was wasted by designing these meetings during the best time of day allowing little time for actual contact with a client/customer.
Pros
Some free lunches
Cons
Unverified leads, commission only, lots of unreimbursed expenses
Job seekers rely on your experience.
I worked here for over 20 years and loved it until the last few years. I had a job that I loved but the parent company (UNUM) decided to make changes and get rid of the people who had been there the longest and had the most knowledge, yet they keep people who know nothing (especially managers) who have the people who work for them do their job, and they take credit for all the work. Employees used to walk around smiling, now morale is awful. They outsource much of the work now which has cost lots of jobs. It's really sad that a company that used to be voted as one of the best in town to work for has turned into this.
Pros
None now
Cons
Management has little knowledge about the jobs.
Nice people, good management, and easy to get ahead in the job. The job is all commission so you have to work hard and be good at what you do. Overall it's a great place to work, they are very flexible.
Good internship for someone in college. Busy work that does not feel relevant but decent pay. Good name on resume. Great management. Terrible structure.
I really liked working here! Sue was a tremendous trainer, extremely knowledgeable, and very empathic to my needs. She was always having fun competitive contests on Monday and holding trainings. I didn't feel nervous asking a question or for help. I could have done without the boys club doing pushups though. My only reason for leaving was because of the pandemic and I was not able to make any money and didn't feel comfortable calling.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential
Cons
Didn't make the money I was hoping for
I never really got to start working there because of the covid pandemic, so the communications were very slow. Overall I feel like it is a great opportunity if willing to do the work.
Incredible products and support. Industry giants and access to premium products and services for low low client costs. Classy and reputable. Successful Management.
Pros
Growth Potential
Cons
Actual pay versus projected pay at interview
Great business model and training, but difficult to stay since it is 100% commission. Would be better if there was a small base to help when first starting out. Find it too difficult to build relationships needed, to get the cases needed to make an income. Relationship building takes time and unfortunately can not wait to get paid.
Pros
Flexibility training
Cons
No base Commission only
March 16, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We value all feedback and continually strive to ensure we are providing our team with an environment they can succeed in.
The company needs to remember that agents are not employees but partners in the company. The core office is dysfunctional and the leadership is non-existent. Colonial Life is a good company with good products just bad representation in the VA office.
March 16, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We value all your feedback and we continually strive to ensure that our management is providing the best leadership to our teams.  The key to our success is our people and we continue to make strikes in providing the best work experience possible.
You don't get paid if you do not sell insurance policies. The people were great though. got to meet new people. I got to understand what it takes to sell a product that not everyone needs or wants. A lot of money paid out of pocket to keep afloat while working her.
Pros
got to meet new people
Cons
no pay for time, no insurance benefits if you were not making any money, waisted gas driving around to speak with people to sell insurance
If you start as a CSR, be prepared to stay in that field. The turnover rate there is high for a reason. You must bid for a earlier shift and if you’re new, you are overlooked.
March 16, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We value all feedback and we continually strive to ensure that our management is providing the best leadership to our teams and make every effort to ensure the success of our team members.
Great people but pay structure was uninspiring and changed each year. Bonuses were based on things you had no control over. Corporate culture is great with excellent access to senior leadership. I was a W2 employee but their agent force is 1099 and they lose a LOT of good salespeople due to financial hardship, which is a shame.
Pros
Company culture, managers.
Cons
Low pay, 1099 salespeople
March 16, 2021
Good: opportunity to advance and lead from the front. Great training and good management. Bad: 1099 no benefits, salary. You earn any and all compensation. Sink or swim mentality.
Pros
Good company.
Cons
1099 100% commission only.
March 16, 2021
Thank you for your review. We’re happy to hear about your positive experience while working with Colonial Life.
Great place to work if you're a go-getter! If you're not willing to initially go above and beyond, don't waste your time and theirs. Be willing to work and you will see the rewards.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Salary is all commission based
March 16, 2021
Thank you for your review.  We’re happy to hear about your positive experience while working with Colonial Life.
I worked here for three months its commissioned base so I sold my first product in less then a month of being at this company. After everything was processed I drove forty five minutes to work for three months to only be paid one hundred dollars. Seem to me that the Managers make the most money. I worked five days a week eight hour a day to see no good results but passing a insurance exam which was out of my pocket. Even the drive to see clients you're using your personal vehicle and your own gas money to get no money in return. This company doesn't pay hourly its commission based to say before you start they tell about all the money you can make and you really make no money you lose more than you gain. This seems more like a career for someone already established not someone trying to get established and make money a waste.
Pros
Getting licensed Managers were okay
Cons
Work five days a week eight hours a day to get no good results
March 16, 2021
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your experience with us has not been a completely positive one.  We value all feedback and love to hear recommendations on how to best provide a more positive work experience.
Everything being sold is a voluntary benefit. You will be selling to local business owners in the community. That is the easier part. The cost unless they have a rock star boss will come from the employees pocket. Good luck getting most common employees to give up even more from their meager checks. Best bet is to just stay away, most people lose money in this job versus make it. Don't buy the hype.
March 16, 2021
Since we are all 1099's in the Colonial Life sales organization, we can choose which district we want to join, as long as it make geographic sense. Each district is run by the DGA (District General Agent), and each one has their own style and creates their own culture.Given the difficulties beginning this career, it's vital to have people you can count on and turn to for advice and guidance.This career is not for everyone. If you have the drive and discipline and aggressiveness and assertiveness to make things happen, you will do well, and live the life of your dreams.
Pros
Freedom, support and training
Cons
Low initial income, requires discipline, must be coach-able
March 16, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts. We value all your feedback and we continually strive to ensure that our management is providing the best leadership to our teams.  The key to our success is our people and we continue to make strikes in providing the best work experience possible.