Colonial School District Employee Reviews

Decent place to work if they train you. Too much nepatism
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJune 13, 2019
Nice place to work. People are very nice. Little to no training. Good benefits.
Management inconsistent, not likely to advance unless you know someone
people talk behind every ones back
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMay 18, 2019
easy job bosses seem to take anger out on staff and expect way to much but dont do anything about it. was able to do it till i couldnt take the bs go for it if you can work with your head down but dont get caught up in the drama
intern
Intern Student (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMay 7, 2019
Was a school psychologist intern. Had a great experience and wish to find a similar job. I found that the school system was organized and I had alot of good opportunities here.
Favoritiam abounds, lies not investigated, bullying permitted
Secretary (Former Employee) –  DelawareApril 18, 2019
everyday was full throttle
loved my actual job
supervisor MICRO manages (reminded daily/monthly to do/submit work I did correctly, successfully and under deadline for 15+ years).

Reprimanded for correcting mistakes or not correcting them

Supervisor frowned upon being proactive somedays and not others.

Allowed co-workers to "tattle" all the while using company time for personal things (including but not limited to Facetiming with relatives).

A "what kind of mood day" would it be everyday.
Pros
benenfits, actual work related to job was great, vendors appreciative of efforts
Cons
owning up to mistakes exploited, nitpicking out of control
Lunch attendant
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 28, 2019
To prepare breakfast and lunch for the students. I also worked in the bakery as well
How to prepare breakfast and lunch for students and work a serving line.
Great management always there to help with anything.
Positive workplace, drives engagement, happiness and satisfaction
Lifting heavy crates of milk
Working with awesome people
Pros
To keep busy and learn new things
Cons
none really
Productive and fun place to work.
ENGLISH/JOURNALISM TEACHER (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 23, 2019
A typical work day was well structured and organized. Students were on task and detailed lesson plans were expected. Regular classroom rules were expected and administration supported them when needed. Students were driven and on task. The hardest part of the job was with discipline. The most enjoyable aspect of the job were the students and the staff. They were driven and passionate and committed to their field of work.
Pros
Talented coworkers, constant learning and training
Cons
Detached State visitors
Lack of true appreciation
Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEOctober 30, 2018
I have no review because everyone's experience is different. My experiences have been up and down due to the lack of leadership and coworkers. The same problems here and everywhere.
Special Education Teacher
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  John. G. Leach SchoolAugust 21, 2018
Working with students with specials needs was an amazing experience. The staff in Colonial School District really do put the students first. You do become a family because you have to be able to properly communicate with your staff and be able to trust them that they are carrying out important tasks. The management was always encouraging, supportive, and had an open door policy. I did enjoy working for Colonial School District.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Stressful environment only due to the demands of teaching.
A collaborative educator
Elementary School Principal (Current Employee) –  DelawareAugust 18, 2018
At my current job, I work collaboratively with other educators. I am always interested in the opportunity to expand my experience in the field of education.
Teachers were great. Administrators not so much
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEApril 27, 2018
I loved my time in Colonial. The teachers worked hard to maximize the education process for the students; however, there was a lot of push back and pressure from the administrators, all in the name of money grabbing (Run To the Top). All that money grabbing was earned by the teachers, at the expense of the teachers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Adminstrators
Bus Driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEApril 25, 2018
Well it was fine to start out at to get time behind the wheel of driving. and to get to know people and you have love the kids and love what you do to some of the kids.. lol
Pros
the work day
Cons
Not enough hours and pay was not the best
I learned how to drive a flat nose bus, it was the greatest experience of my life.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New CastleMarch 29, 2018
I loved working for this company the kids were great the hours were right on time and the pay was good. The staff was nice to work with the location was great. It was the best years of my life. Driving the school bus was one of my most jobs that i can say i loved doing and got paid for it. In the summer time you could sit at home and still get paid. Part time job that came with benefits. I miss everyone there and the kids so much I wish I could do it all over again. They called me Miss T, I kept the kids safe we laughed ate played games and had a great learning experience.I loved buying pizza, water ice, sodas, candies and etc.
Collaborative Special Education Team
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 22, 2018
At the time I was at Colonial, there was a culture of collaboration that we aspired to. Teams worked on learning to work together. I had the opportunity to learn from highly skilled and committed PT and OT professionals.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
offered full time only (at that time)
Great district to work for!
Computer Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 7, 2018
They truly care about employees, any complaints dont simply hit brick walls. management is a proper balance of professional and fun, you are only expected to complete what you physically, can nothing more.
Pros
Long breaks, Fair management, Great experience!
Great Pay/Benefits/Working Environment
paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 3, 2018
The paraprofessionals have a union and therefore have great pay, room for advancement, and amazing benefits. It is a great place to work as well. Staff and management are supportive.
Fun school district
Colonial School District Float Nurse (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DESeptember 2, 2017
I was new to the school nurse role. The role is harder than most would believe but the school district is very supportive and very good with with their staff.
Pros
friendly, caring staff
Cons
work/life balance
Academic and Social Excellence
Coach and consultant for Colonial Schools (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PA, Plymouth Meeting, PAJuly 18, 2017
Colonial School District is a well run educational community that provides stellar academics as well as social skills necessary to succeed outside the classroom. As a parent whose children go to Colonial schools, I have been extremely happy with the quality of education provided. The out reach into the community is critical to encompassing the whole person. And I feel their schools do so by initiating community based service projects and programs.
The Most Enjoyable Part of my Career
5th / 4th Grade & Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJuly 12, 2017
There are many enjoyable parts to my career. The most enjoyable part of my career is knowing that I can make a difference in just one student's life. Knowing that I am able to shape a student, and be a positive role model is very powerful. As an educator I wear many hats and have to be ready to switch to a different hat at a moments notice. I enjoy this flexibility. I also appreciate the ability to work as a team, but still have the room to be independent with choices that are a "fit" for my students.
Pros
Flexibility to make choices that are fit for my students
Cons
Numerous after- school activities
Rewarding
Cafeteria Aide (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJune 29, 2017
If you enjoy working with others to provide a well balanced learning environment for children, then the Colonial School District is the place to be.Your input is valued, and you get to work with many like minded individuals.
Working with children can be challenging and demanding at times, but the smiles on the children's faces make it all worth it.
Pros
Great hours for going back to work after raising small children.
Cons
Only 15 hours available during typical week and none during summer.
Like any other kitchen
Substitute food service worker (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PA 19428May 27, 2017
Worked in the kitchens of colonial school district. They are clean for the most part, taken well care of. Work is normal, get free lunches, and usually one or two breaks depending on how ahead of work you are. Pay is okay for subs 10.75 and better for full time employee 13. Only thing is full time is really only 25 hours a week so you really need a second job if you take this.
Pros
free lunches, retirement plan, help kids
Cons
no advancement, no work in the summer, low hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3