Colorado Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Wonderful place to work
Housing Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 3, 2018
Great opportunities for advancement and learning. Also very fair compensation and benefits. The work environment is competitive but supportive and generally very positive.
Met some great people there (coworkers).
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COJune 29, 2018
Work schedules were not flexible. No lunch break was provided. The job was not for me. Different answers were provided on the same questions. Cell house staff members were
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Sterling, COJune 1, 2018
Prison environment, room for advancement, and the management was pretty good. The work culture was fast paced, and the time went fast. Nothing hard about this position, just had to stay alert.
Pros
Steady work and there was a gym to workout there
Cons
.Sometimes inmates can be hostile.
unrewarding
RN (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COMay 18, 2018
This job is not very rewarding for the medical field. The higher up management completely controls the way the medical field is ran. Then inmates have all the rights.
Good Career
CM III - Administration Supervisor / PPMU (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 15, 2018
This can be a good career for most people as long as you don't get frustrated in seeing people receiving special treatment (such as promotions) when they are not the best choice. If you are the type of person who can laugh at it and not let it bother you, you can have a great career here.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Cons (haha get it?)
good
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 13, 2018
decent place to work. Liked the people that I worked with. Sometimes got to be very stressful. Gained great experience in the field that will help me in the future
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 25, 2018
Always very busy, non stop, Management was exceptional, I learned how to handle heavy cooking equipment. As well as being Serve Safe Certified. I enjoyed the consitence and the respect of my job and Bosses.
Pros
Free food
Cons
enjoyable Breaks
stress work environment
Correctional Officer I - Custody and Control (Former Employee) –  Buena Vista, COApril 24, 2018
Working in corrections is a stressful, fast-paced environment. Plan on working 8-16 hours per shift. High turnover, The supervisors lack communication/ and are not receptive to staff feedback.
Pros
job security, benefits
Cons
poor work/life balance, stressful, dangerous working conditions, under staffed
I'm not interested in providing a review.
Social Worker III (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COApril 21, 2018
Pay was great. Environment was very dangerous, not worth the pay. Mental Health therapists are made to feel unwelcome. They are not considered to be a part of the team.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Danger
Stressful
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  ColoradoMarch 29, 2018
Working in Corrections is very stressful. Depending on the position, there can be a lot of required over-time. It is hard on relationships. It is always potentially dangerous. Compared to other states, the pay & benefits are better. There are many great people who work there. They provide good initial training.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Stress & danger
Inmates better than staff!
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COMarch 1, 2018
I worked here for four years as a sergeant over a housing unit. The pay is decent but after all the medical insurance cost ($590 a month for family), the pension cost, and various deductions they take, you really only make about 15 dollars an hour. The staff are very poorly trained and most are crooked in one way or another. The job is very boring and easy, but the stress imparted on you will destroy your health, family life, and many employers will not hire someone who has worked for the department for many reasons. You would think working here would be hard due to the offenders but they are way more respectful than the other staff and management. There are many staff dealing, providing "physical"favors and bringing contraband for the inmates as well as providing illegal information to offenders and their family members. Every day you have to watch your back from both staff and inmates creating a " WILD WEST" environment. If you are not willing to treat the offenders like they are scum and actually try to help rehabilitate them with good communication and fair practices, then you will be scolded and written up. The culture is very clicky and if you are not popular their are no advancement opportunities. The new pension requires a 25 year old to work until they are about 75 in order to qualify for retirement and there are no raises even for cost of living. I absolutely wouldn't recommend being employed here. It is dangerous, corrupt and hurts your future career opportunities when applying for other jobs. I have four family members employed at DOC and they all feel  more... the same way. Something needs to change.  less
Pros
Reliable government job
Cons
Poor pay, benefits, culture, staff, no advancement, dangerous
nice work... good job
Re entry specialist (Current Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 8, 2018
I love my job but as I go into more of a retirement mode I am looking for something to bolster my income in retirement. I do not want to fully retire and will always look for new and exciting things to do.
Pros
good working conditions and ample time off provided
Cons
sometimes management lacks direction
Comprehensive challenging
Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2018
The department was a great place to work. There were opportunities for advancement. Also there was never a dull moment-able to work with a great bunch of people. Also the client population was diverse and was like a whole cith in a confined complex. Medical experience was diverse
Pros
Great staff
Cons
If you don't mind drama, this is for you.
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COJanuary 27, 2018
Drama filled with coworkers and rumor mills. Staff involved with inmates. Staff involved with staff. Leadership isn't the greatest. Being proactive gets you nowhere. All training after the academy is denied for the first year so don't volunteer for anything trying to help coworkers because you cant get the certification. They don't accept outside certifications so any previous training you have is null and void to them. And working in a place where you find out that people who committed and were convicted of felonies have more rights and privileges than you do gets frustrating. You work for you paycheck to pay your bills while these convicted felons are issued a tablet and free wi-fi to "keep morale up" on tax payer money.
Quick paced and Fun
Correctional Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Canyon City, ColoradoJanuary 24, 2018
Although it was a very stressful career, the management style was excellent. At all times I was treated fairly and equal. 100% would recommend to anybody not only looking for a job, but a career.
Pros
Caring and compassionate workforce
Cons
Night shift until promoted to day shift
Busy and demanding workplace
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2018
I enjoyed my 20 years working for the Colorado Department of Corrections and have made many lasting friends over the years of working there in the facility.
Pros
Stable job with benefits
Cons
Stressful
stressful but can be challenging
Correctional Officer II- Custody Control (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COJanuary 14, 2018
Working for the Department on the Security side of the house was very challenging. Conducting random searches of offenders and cells and management of offenders was very challenging at times. My most desirable times was doing the gang interventions and interviews.
Great place to start a career
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COJanuary 2, 2018
Most days are fine with some excitement mixed in depending on what facility you are at. You get 10 days of vacation at the start with the ability to earn more the longer you are with the department.
stop now and think
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Cañon City, CONovember 23, 2017
bad, stresful, cutthroat hard hours and you will change who you are to become a person that has to do this job. be carfule in considering this. not for the faint of heart
Enjoyable and eye opening
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, CONovember 14, 2017
I really enjoyed working at the Colorado Department of Corrections. I was able to promote to a Sgt. where I was able to train staff, do performance reviews and given extra assignments which I enjoyed.
Pros
Learning experience, benefits, salary
Cons
No breaks or lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colorado Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight