Colorado Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Traffic & Safety
ITS Traffic & Safety (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 19, 2018
Making certain the traffic signals are timed correctly and communicating to each other. 24/7.
The boys club politics is really bad. Wasteful spending of tax dollars.
CDOT a great place to work
Work lead oversee a 4 personnel patrol (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 15, 2018
Learned something new everyday
I learned the crew is a team
The managment is great
The work place culture is upbeat and professional
The hardest part of the job is you have to be ready to see grusome accidents
there is always room to learn
Pros
constant learning
Cons
night shift is hard sometimes
For the most it is a good place to work
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction COFebruary 8, 2018
I enjoy working here most of the time. This does not need to be posted publically on Indeed please, I could write a lot more here but am choosing not to do so.
Productive, collaborative work force
Business Analysis Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 16, 2018
Great quality of life, benefits, and leadership. The culture is understanding but still demand results. Limited impact due to outside regulations and laws.
Pros
People, Benefits, Stability
Cons
Not much room to grow, sometimes work is slow
Ok
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 25, 2017
It was slow paced but it was fun. I gained lots of experience in the highway construction field. I also gained computer and management/supervisor skills.
What I learned
Human Resource Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 20, 2017
-Have learned how to work with a diverse group of people
-Learned how to effectively communicate with different people
-Leaned how to use the SAP system
Pros
Monthly events
Great working place
Final Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 13, 2017
For internship , CDOT offer a lot of opportunity to study and learn new things. It is very great experience work for CDOT.
I didn't feel stress , and the full time employees have lots of paid holidays.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Time limit for Internship, only 9 mouths
Used to be a great place to work.
Labor, Trades and Crafts (Current Employee) –  ColoradoDecember 5, 2017
New hires that have been there for over 5 years are still stuck at the bottom of the pay scale and do not see a very good path upward. Employees that have been there over 10 years are paid pretty well. The pay raise structure is very bad. As far as work there are always so many changes a lot of employees are stressed out. Upper management tells hourly workers how important they are but actions do not back that up. Over last 8 years working force has shrunk considerably and management force has increased greatly.
Pros
Decent pay. job and benefits if you can live within your means.
Cons
Colorado has become a very expensive place to live, and wages do not provide great housing options.
Used to be a great place to work, all the way around
TM-1 Transportation Maintenance Level 1 (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 17, 2017
I am only speaking for Region 1(Denver Metro and surrounding) as I never got the chance to transfer/relocate to a different region, section, area. The management that moved into CDOT over the past 5 years, along with their whole "Re-Org" destroyed what once was and a great deal of many many great people and employees decided to leave.
Pros
decent pay, paid time off
Cons
favoritism, animosity, constant frequent change in planning
Stressed
Construction Project Manager, Property Management (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 25, 2017
Lack of training and direction. No management direction on what expectations are. Lack of training on using online tools for timesheet entry, CO entry, billing, etc... You either float or drown.
Cons
Too much drive time
Outstanding culture/ vision from the Director to the boots on the ground!
Change management intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 21, 2017
Great place to work and learn new skills. The organization truly believes the line workers move the company towards the mission and vision. Transportation is a difficult industry to advance but CDOT believes in making CDOT the best in the nation.
very political
Transportation Maintenance Worker - I (TM-I) (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80222September 7, 2017
Job advancement is not based on how hard you work, nor your level of intelligence, but rather on how well liked you are. If you are extremely competent at you job,more and more responsibility will be given to you without compensation
Cons
On call 24/7/365. No family time in the winter for the high country
Good place to work for
Transportation Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 11, 2017
Job consist of Highway Maintenance routine daily work you know what you're expected to begin done each day it's made it real nice. Everyday was something different work in the outdoors also was it Pleasant and enjoyable at times
Pros
Don't have to punch in or punch out just got to be punctual and sign in on the computer
Cons
Promotions well you might want to start brown nosing
Cdot
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 11, 2017
Working for CDOT was an amazing experience. There is a real family culture and everybody takes care of everybody. Management is easy to work for and with.
Pros
top notch in training from employee to manangment
Cons
Agenda, Reports change on a dime.
Steady job, good benefits
Specifications Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 9, 2017
Work life is rewarding at the Colorado Department of Transportation. You have a steady balance of personal and work time, a reasonable amount of travel, and can set your own pace and style of work. The salary is competitive with the private sector.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Slower pace
A nice place to learn and give back to the engineering community
Licensed Professional Engineer in Colorado (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 5, 2017
A nice place to learn and give back to the engineering community. I really enjoyed the time I spent at the Colorado Department of Transportation. I worked there for over 30 years.
Fun place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 12, 2017
Solid employment
Structural Trades I (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 23, 2017
Great place to work Benefits are sub par. I have to leave the state system due to laps of retirement with PERA and Social Security. The job is solid and the people are great to be around.
Pros
Always have a job to report to
Cons
Have not been permoted in over five years
Heavy equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Durango, COMay 21, 2017
It had it challenges but it was fun in I was able to fix equipment that helped the public have a safe drive and enjoyable experience in the state while traveling.
What I learned
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 12, 2017
I learned how to map police accidents in the provided systems within the company system. I become so well at doing this job I was even asked to help develop a better way of doing it. I showed them how to use a PDF system rather than using a paper system. This is still used today by this company.
Pros
Cons
The drive and traffic