Colorado State University

Colorado State University Employee Reviews

Colorado State University insights

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility

Good enviorment

A good culture to work in. Most everyone lets you be and you are able to be yourself. I low pay is the only drawback to this position. I don't see opportunity for advancement.

Cons

pay

They care about their employees and students

There is a lot of bureaucracy and depending on what your title is, is how much respect you get sometimes. But overall the people are passionate and nice, the energy is high, and people truly care about CSU and the students. Decent benefits and pay.

Pros

Caring environment and people

Cons

bureaucracy

Lower pressure than private sector

Positions are based on funds from government proposals, so tied to leaders successfully obtaining them. Some freedom to pursue new technologies, but often not leading edge. Pleasant colleagues with low level of competition.

Pros

lots of vacation and sick leave, no social security tax, great retirement match

Cons

lower pay, minimal raises

Enjoyed work here

I enjoyed my time working at CSU. Just had an issue with the department head which was not unique, based on conversations with my co-workers. My co-workers were very supportive and helpful. I would happily go back to work there is given the opportunity.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Force

They try to force you to think the way they want you to. There is way too much politics and favoritism is clearly a huge problem. There are great benefits though, like PERA, time off, etc...

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Too much politics

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great

The benefits are really good in terms of health care and PTO. I started off with 24 days of PTO plus 14 days of sick leave. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone, but it's the best vacation package I've had!

It is a very great place to work. Everyone there is extremally friendly and has a ton of scheduling flexibility. I worked there for 3 years and have nothing but great things to say about it.

Great school

I went there so I'm pretty biased but Colorado State University is amazing and has many student employee programs for any and all interests. Usually the pro staff are super caring as well.

I miss it everyday!

I was a part time employee in the i4e department and loved every second of it! The people I worked with wanted to help me advance my career and were always available when I needed them.

A great place overall!

I really enjoyed my time at Colorado State University. I worked in a central accounting/finance office and feel the very top management was amazing. They wanted to see me reach my top potential. I also worked with departments across campus when I had finance/accounting questions/corrections needed and feel the majority of everyone did their best to help. I would highly recommend working there. Paid time off accrued quickly as well.

Pros

Great top management, fun environment, fun events across campus

Cons

Minimal professional development trainings

Jobs at Colorado State University

See more jobs

Management and supervisors are terrible and benefits will make you feel like you have to stay.

Management at many areas of Housing and Dining is a joke. Communication is atrocious and delegation of tasks is non-existent. Throughout Covid we ar Housing and Dining were all considered essential workers while those above us gave orders from the comfort of their homes, sometimes not even in the state of Colorado. I was working in a kitchen with the oppurtunity of gaining experience in another role throughout Covid so that I would have enough experience to apply for this better position. They used me for months in a role I was not hired for and then skipped over me and gave the position to someone newer than me. I will never be returning to CSU as an employee and that is for the sake of my own sanity and mental health. Many people including myself felt trapped there for a long time because they have decent benefits but it's not worth it for your livelihood.

Pros

Benefits, free credit hours for degrees, free food working in dining.

Cons

Management, delegation, communication, scheduling, training, the list goes on.

Good place to work overall, but low pay.

Good place to work overall, but low pay. Hard to get promoted. Good work life balance. Management is not great, but if you do your job you'll be OK for the most part.

Pros

Lots of vacation/sick time.

Cons

Low pay and little to no advancement opportunities.

Overall not a bad place to work, good job security

Supportive work environment, average compensation but could be better. It is difficult to get merit-based raises, even if you've earned them. Get ready for a long application process if you are applying for a job here, sometimes it takes weeks and multiple interviews depending on the position. Depending on the department you work in this is a great place to work! A lot of networking opportunities but be prepared to feel out of place if you are a poc as Fort Collins in general is not very diverse. They have room for improvement in recruiting and supporting diverse applicants/employees.

Pros

Opportunities for growth, networking, benefits and paid time off

Cons

Long application process, often short staffed

Good place to work as a full time student

Enjoyed working there as a full time student. Very understanding that being a student comes first. Flexible and welcoming. Wish pay was higher but they set their own minimum wage which is at least higher than the national average

Like any other grad school -- Choose your PI carefully

I love the support staff and much of the faculty. I had a hard time with my PI, but I am one of many. CSU is in a beautiful location and has great student benefits. Their health center has nearly everything you could need.

Pros

Great student benefits, awesome health center, helpful support staff

Cons

Some PIs are awful, but that's the case anywhere.

Great job but housing services are tough to deal with

It is a great job that allows you to get homework done while sitting at the desk. The only issue is that there are 24 hour shifts so you could have a 4-8am shift.

Pros

homework time

Cons

no breaks

Worked here throughout college and it was excellent. They were very flexible with schedules and the work was rewarding. There were a few issues with conflicting personalities, but overall good place to work.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Conflicting personalities.

Good opportunity to gain experience in new field

This position helped build my experience in my desired career field. I was also able to partially fund my graduate degree, which was a bonus. The balance of hours was sometimes difficult, but that is the nature of grad school.

I love CSU

I have been a research assistant at CSU and it is incredible. I have gotten so much experience and have met so many amazing people along the way. Highly recommend working for CSU.

It’s a job

Essentially, it’s a job. It’s not bad if you’re looking for something that will get you by, but that’s all you’ll get, especially if you’re a temp. There are no benefits, nor have I been offered any pto, raises, or opportunities for promotion. Your coworkers, who are mostly students, are usually pretty great but get ready for a lot of complaints and drama. If you do intend to apply for a permanent position, my understanding is that you have very little choice in where you’ll end up, but most people don’t stay that long.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun environment

Cons

No insurance, no chance to move up

Important work,

Great cowokers and boss, all with good attitudes. There were clear ways to handle my job as events staff and I was always able to be both an important asset but also very capable

Pros

live performances from a backstage standpoint

Cons

Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colorado State University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Colorado State University with

• Colorado State University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?