Colorado State University
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Colorado State University Employee Reviews

United States509 reviews
My on-campus job at Colorado State allowed me to build my future. I now have an illustrious portfolio with countless pieces of work that are helping me find a full-time job.
They shift individuals to any position they like. Hire an individual for one job then shift them to another at will. Giving little choice to change or explain the importance of a position. (this is facilities) They focus on filling a position but not with appropriate staff. They abolish key positions, creating holes in campus archives and resources which diminishes customer service and makes completing jobs effectively impossible without additional work to recreate information that should be available and thus adds time to jobs costing CSU and other colleges on campus more money.
Pros
You can take your 30 minute lunch anytime you like but they want you to work through it.
Cons
Lost to do for little compensation, no advancement you have to look in other areas to advance, Facilities is not an advancement department, work is physical and not in job description, watch any phrases saying "other job functions as needed"
Great flexibility with class schedule
Fantastic place to work, student culture

Research and sustainability at forefront

Depending on classes work starts at 8am and usually done by 4pm, can make up time during the weekends. Only paid hourly so did not receive sick leave or paid time off.

Duties varied but working with students and professors always provided a fun and challenging environment
Control at the top and through the military and feds that oversaw our department who were philosophically against any type of environmental work that CSU provided. CSU management was cherry-picked to hold these philosophies and/or look the other way when things weren’t done right. Also there was absolutely no room for job growth and development of new skills at a certain point. Lack of care
Or support for employers
Worked as an assistant temporarily over the summer. They were pretty flexible in hours, and lenient if I had something else come up. It was a student employed position, and pretty easy.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Facilitated two lab sections a week for the CIVE 102 Course. Was in charge of grading and communicating with the students regarding lab activities. Professors were professional but laid back.
I enjoyed working here. The money wasn't the best but the experience was a delight. Just an overall great and fun place to work while being a student.
Showed up everyday to do the exact same thing. Could move up over a long period of years. It was one on those keep to yourself kind of jobs. Pay was decent for expectations.
Pros
Steay work schedule
Cons
Drama
I learned almost everything there is to contaminant hydrology and the research process. The management was extremely supportive and helped to bridge the knowledge gap which was the most difficult part of the job. I enjoyed observing the results of the experiments as well as their real world applications.
CSU is a very inclusive community whose principles shine through the employees. Everyone is treated with respect and the faculty work hard to deliver a sound education to the students.
Pros
inclusion and respect are paramount
Cons
funding for the education labs is sparse
It is amazing to be working here but the only way you get a job is having a conversation with the professor about your thesis work and if your interests align
Expect high levels of bureaucracy, as it is a large state university with many different departments that often time seem to exist solely to argue with each other on who has to do a specific job. Stereotypical of most government jobs.
I worked for a kid's theatre camp. It was a fun experience but we were severely understaffed and underpaid. It was a great experience in teamwork, creativity, time management, and interacting with children of varying ages, needs, and learning styles. But wasn't worth the pay.
Top CSU administration talks about progressive changes and positive culture, but within departments old issues are the status quo. The hierarchy is tainted by tenured track faculty that manipulate the system.
Maybe it was the department. As a CSU alum I was so excited to get to work at my alma mater. The director of operations was very negative and caused all sorts of drama amongst professors and staff. I tried very hard to keep my head down and just get my work done, but it became increasingly hard to ignore the general dysfunction all around me.
I am a GTA (Graduate Teaching Assistant) at Colorado State University and I can say that I love it here! I come from small town Ohio and moved out here on my own. The faculty and everyone involved with my program have been so welcoming and it helps to make me feel at home when I am here!
The job was fun, the hours were flexible, and the compensation was acceptable. Somewhat repetitive tasks on a day-to-day basis, but never became mind-numbingly boring.
If you can find a job working with a professor while you are attending classes, it really enhances your education. There are some positions that do not seem overwhelming with a full course load.
Working for the university as a student was a fantastic experience. The university bookstore has a very welcoming and positive attitude towards all of its employees. In addition, any training that you may require, is provided (you also get paid for it). In addition, the management is highly supportive of its staff and will go above and beyond for anyone working for them.
I loved my time here. It was the perfect job while attending school and provided me with growth opportunities and friends! The recreation center truly is the best place on campus.
Fantastic growth opportunity and I was able to present at multiple research conferences. My team was excellent and I hope to work with them on future projects.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colorado State University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight