Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

Friendly place to work
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MODecember 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at CPS. It was a very friendly place to work and I made many friends. I enjoyed working a M-F job with paid days off when school wasn't in session.
Pros
Free lunches, hours and days off.
Cons
Off in summer, had to find a part time job during that time.
Good job
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MODecember 20, 2018
It was a good job,but I wasn't getting enough hours bc if transportation issues,but it paid ok and they were understanding to your needs and situations
productive place to work at
Seasonal Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 4, 2018
Great place to work at with supporting administration and great school culture. We have strong PTA that supports teachers and students. Teachers use best practice and current research to teach students.
Pros
free PD classes
Cons
short lunch period
Dean of Students, District (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2018
Working in this environment is long but rewarding to see the students have success, although at times it can be stressful. My colleagues are very knowledgeable and willing to assist with anything.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
work life balance
It’s a fast paced job with lots of different tasks daily. Mentally and physically challenging.
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 16, 2018
I worked for CPS for 7 total years. It’s ok but very hard work. Working with kids can be challenging in many ways. Timing meals and taking temps of foods and logging them, doing lots and lots of dishes, keeping work areas clean, preparing next day’s breakfast and then counting what’s left the next day. So many tasks.
Pros
Summers off with kids
Cons
Hard work and fast paced.
Productive good work enviroment
Technology Support Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 3, 2018
A fast paced environment where you are always encouraged to work hard and to get the job in a timely manor. I always had a healthy amount of stress to keep me engaged but not completely over whelmed.
Pros
Nice work Enviroment
Best job great people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 23, 2018
CPS was the best job I have ever had. They are really flexible and willing to work with you. They were really understanding when I had to miss work due to my mother's illness.
Hard Work
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 16, 2018
Teaching is not for the faint of heart and a very difficult career to have if you have small children of your own. It's very rewarding and fulfilling, but be ready to work long hours for little appreciation.
Pros
Working with children, possible team members, being a teacher!
Cons
Long work day/week, little appreciation, possible problem parents, tough behaviors
Good Community
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 9, 2018
If you want a good community where people will gave your back CPS is for you. I love my job, the salary though is not enough to support my family. There is a sense of family at the workplace. With all jobs there are pros and cons to consider.
One day teaching in he Media Center
Library Media Specialist/District (Current Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCJuly 5, 2018
I begin with planning time during the first 30-45 minutes. I accept my first class for 45 minutes, continue with planning time for 45 minutes, and accept my second class. I go to lunch for 45 minutes and return for my next class for 45 minutes. Followed by another two classes and the end of my day, sign out.
Pros
Children learning, engaged, and teachers happy to support a learning event.
Cons
a few students may not be well behaved and you will need assistance.
Not very Teacher Supportive at that time
Paraprofessional District (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2018
Not very Supportive of Teachers and Staff at that. Much of a turn of rate. Not open to following educational systems that had already experienced success
Good flexible job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 21, 2018
Good flexible job, able to develop long term relationships with teachers for best long term positions in subject areas you excel at teaching. Built great relationships.
increasingly untenable
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Middle Schools and High SchoolsApril 9, 2018
The growing problems of behavior with students and dealing with iPads and iPhones during the school day began to make teaching untenable. The increasing aggression and disrespect by students got unmanageable to the point that although there are many wonderful students in our community, there are some who pose serious dangers to teachers physically, and their careers are at risk for the interactions that occur in those circumstances.
Fast paced cafeteria
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbia MOMarch 12, 2018
Preparing nutritional food for the school age children according to preset menu. Tracking school lunch balances for students throughout the school year.
okay place to work
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Columbia moMarch 8, 2018
It was an okay place to work, if I had of not wanted to pursue my education and I had a different supervisor I probably would have stayed longer in this position.
Pros
good benefit, and no hard work
Cons
work hours specially working in bad weather
Faculty was more like a family and was very close to one another. We could bounce questions and ideas off of each other in an effort to p
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed a great career with Columbia Public Schools for 34 years, retiring in 2016. I served as an Art teacher for Grades K-12 at various schools in the district. I was department chair at the Junior High/Middle school level, mentored student teachers, aided in choosing new department staff and wrote cirriculum for the district.
Meaningful, exciting, the opportunity to help young people
ATTENDANCE SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 17, 2018
My daily interactions with the students made everyday different and exciting. I enjoyed being part of a team effort to do well for a good cause, not just for money.
Pros
Team enviroment
Cons
Part-time
Productive and fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 22, 2018
I enjoyed helping so many children get what may be the only meal they may get for the day and making it fresh. My coworkers and the students made my day
payscale
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 6, 2017
The pay for Columbia Public is low in comparison with the nation's average teacher pay. Also they are only paid once a month which makes it difficult.
Pros
up to date with what is going on with education/good schools
Cons
low pay and paid once a month
A good place to start
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 2, 2017
If you are looking for 40 hours a week and insurance then I would recommend Columbia Public Schools custodial staff. Good place to work and as long as you do what is asked the job won't ever be a problem.