Columbia Public Schools
75Above average

Columbia Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States97 reviews
I have worked at several schools in this district and the majority of them have been very positive. Most principals are very supportive. My current principal is very understanding of the needs of my family and understands that my family is my priority.
I have been so happy working for Columbia Public Schools. Wonderful place to work & excellent quality in professionalism from management. The ideal place for long term employment.
No consistency at the leadership/district level. Archaic working environment. No foundation of trust. The CPS school system itself is mediocre and floundering, and can be extremely depressing. I’ve worked in top rated school districts prior to CPS and loved the environment. I do not recommend taking a position at CPS unless there is no other choice or option available.
Columbia Public Schools works hard at implementing policies that help the students achieve success. Each building has it's own culture and community, but for the most part is all stable and communicative with employees and families each building is responsible for. I recommend work with Columbia Public Schools.
Is fine. I enjoy working with kids. Kids are hyperactive and need discipline. Are on phones a lot. they focus on work when required. The schools are busy and keep the subs active.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Columbia Public Schools is an energizing and challenging place to work. If you desire to grow in your skills CPS supports that growth. It is a positive and transparent environment for families, students, and staff.
A good reliable job with good benefits! The staff are very friendly and always trying t make your job easier. The hours work great for me,and I Always get my weekends off.
Provide Triage for students, complete health plans, complete vision/hearing screens, complete necessary procedures as required, data entry of screenings, immunizations as needed. provide a safe and confidential environment for all students and staff.
My position is a 9 month contract, It is considered full time with benefits.
Teachers and adminstrators work together to make decisions which concern the building, its culture and how it is managed.

I worked for 8 years as a teacher in the buildng before moving into the currnet position I hold as Athletic Director.

For the past 6 years I have served as the Director of Athletics.

The only down side of my current position are all the hours beyond the school day.

I very much enjoyed serving our school community and the student athletes.
Good work environment, my time subbing there was enjoyable. Everyone is very friendly, it is extremely flexible, and there are usually plenty of activities left behind for you to utilize.
DC Public School is a very good place to work. It's like being with family.
Good management. Working with the students has been a pleasure. Long days.
Teaching is a difficult and highly rewarding career. It is physically, mentally, and emotionally demanding. Class sizes are too large for every student to get what they truly need from their teacher.
Typical accounting work with extra hours needed during closing times. No overtime needed regularly throughout the year. They do pay well compared to businesses in the field.
I love DCPS and I love where I work, I have been here a year and plan to stay. However, my hours are long and overtime is unpaid. I typically run out of sick leave each year due to the lack of flexibility of not being able to work from home... my summers are spent teaching summer school so i can afford to live in DC and have a comfortable life/savings
DCPS is a great place to work within teaching. The development opportunities are tremendous. Take advantage of the in school and districtwide PDs. Continue to maintain your credential.
Its a ok place to work i want to advance it takes time i like the school im at. Im comfortable with my position i kinda wish i was a manager but i have alot of learning to do.
This is a great place if you like to work hard but also gain satisfaction with the work you do and the impact you can have on others. In the school district you become very close to the people you work with and find alot of support.
It's not a horrible job. The bosses could be better. I just work alone and ask to be left alone after being given my list of tasks. It is pretty laid back as long as you do what you are supposed to do.
The only reason I'm still working for cps is because I have a family to take care of. The only good thing about the job is the health benefits. Custodians are over worked and under paid. Honestly your better off finding a job elsewhere it's not worth the headache or stress.
I work there for 11 years it is a great experience but as a person who pay bills I need a full time job year round there to many unpaid days off the management changes from one year to the next I wood like to work where you go to the same place everyday
CPS was a nice place to work but with all the unpaid time off - I wasn’t able to stay. 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at Spring Break and all the teacher work days are unpaid for hourly employees. I drained my bank account and couldn’t pay my bills.
Pros
Work environment, friendly people, time off
Cons
Time off was unpaid
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.