Columbia Sportswear Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLJanuary 31, 2019
I loved working at Columbia. The supervisors were all professional, helpful and fantastic motivators. Each time I went to work- I was excited to be there and to see coworkers. The benefits are fantastic considering it being a retail job. The advancement within the company was something our store manager always encouraged as well as employee development and training. I had to relocate for personal reasons but would have stayed with the company longer if those reasons allowed.
Pros
Great management and benifits
Cons
No fixed schedules
Fun sales experiance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INNovember 10, 2018
I worked at Columbia for just over three years and really enjoyed it. I was fortunate enough to work full time and received the benefits associated with full time. I wish I would have been paid more but the benefits I got were really great so it made up for it. I really enjoyed the culture of the company, it was laid back but very focused, if that makes any sense. I stayed really focused on my customer service skills but I also did a lot of work re arranging the clothes in the store. It was nice to be able to stay busy all the time. The hardest part of the job for me was doing the same thing all the time, I would have really liked to grow further in the company.
Pros
Great culture
Liked the product, but not the business structure.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 20, 2018
Very sales driven. Managers often would not listen to employee issues. Management took no interest in community building ideas, volunteer opportunities, or other lifestyle related activities. Held parties in store for brands that they carried, but never had employee parties. Did not feel valued as a worker.
Pros
Discount was amazing, good products.
Cons
Terrible location for crime and loiterers, no encouragement from management or advancement opportunities.
Good compensation, terrible office culture
Account Services (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORFebruary 10, 2019
Good compensation, terrible office culture
Felt like jr. high, lots of gossip. Felt separate from rest of org due to building location.
Some managers would play favorites. When requesting time off manager would try to discourage taking vacation.
Pros
good pay
Cons
office culture
Not a good environment
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAFebruary 10, 2019
It's an enjoyable place to work at first but things change quickly. My particular manager is very young and inexperienced and is unable to seperate her home/personal life from work. She is very passive aggressive and at times berates employees including the management team for trival things. The pay is outstanding but the stress level is almost unbearable. There are cliques within the store particularly between the manager and floor supervisor. They both spend the majority of their day in the office gossiping and when tasks are not completed all heck breaks loose. If you get on the managers bad side you are written up and treated very poorly.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
One break for 8 hours and above
Simple job, horrible store (location) OKC.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OklJanuary 15, 2019
They don’t care about their employees or customers, one manager in specific made me feel like I almost HAD to sign up for their membership after I had already said no but she just about near demanded my phone number (they don’t like to take no for an answer). Horrible pay, they change your schedule out of nowhere without notice and won’t tell you just to make you look bad. They glorify their employee discount as if all you want to wear columbia, good brand but c’mon. Good discount but like I said they make you feel like you HAVE to eat,sleep, and breathe columbia.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, pay, hours
Social workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marysville, WAOctober 19, 2018
I had fun working there it was for the social aspect. Bad general manager. Terrible pay. No promotion or raise opportunity. No Incentives. Terrible work attire
Pros
Cheap discounted outdoors clothes
Unsustainable
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 31, 2018
America has given Columbia the benefit of wealth opportunity. In turn they provide unsustainable entry level jobs leaving the American worker struggling to survive in what is supposed to be the wealthiest nation in the world. Columbia projects a false positive American image but once you work for them reality quickly sets in.
Pros
Cons
Unsustainable Wages, No Vacations, No Personal Days, No Holidays, Less Than 20 Hours Week, No Medical, No Dental, No 401K
Fun, casual, learning and working environment
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHMarch 8, 2018
Excellent place to work part-time, especially for college students, or those needing a second job. Company culture is very relaxed, yet emphasizes professionalism & learning. Advancement opportunities are open to everyone. I like that everyone gets briefed at the beginning of their shift, so they know what's going on as far as daily goals, get company news, and is encouraged to ask questions, so there are no surprises. While it's an overall relaxed culture, it can be very fast-paced, and is very customer-oriented. I personally don't find this job difficult to do, but you will work. There is no standing around doing nothing - there will always be something to do. What I like about my particular location is that management is ALWAYS willing to help, and is positively engaged in the training and performance of their employees.
Pros
Employee & mall discounts; opportunities; employee assistance programs
Annoying Management & Corporate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORAugust 15, 2018
The minute your not talking to a customer, management lose their marbles and think that your work ethic is bad. Not true. Plus, most of the managers could care less by you and all they want is to make corporate happy. Um...... like as a retail associate you get abused, and you think. "Wow, I get paid barely anything to work in a toxic environment." Lots of gossip and scandals broke out and of course corporate sweeps it under the rug while they make their millions. Some times sales reach 40 thousand in one day and all you get is 50 dollars! I'm worth more than pocket change! I can make more money in 30 minutes pretending to be homeless in the parking lot, but instead I choose to work in a hostile environment with management watching your every step. LIFE IS TO SHORT! Something better is out there, so go and find it.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks, greedy, mean environment

Want to know more about Columbia Sportswear?

Ask a question
Watch your you-know-what
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2018
The IT department is hopelessly confused and rudderless. IT Project management is an exercise in trial-and-error. Lack of individual direction is a common problem. Cliques and cronyism are preferred over org charts. If you can hack it, it's a great place to work. Just document everything. And watch your you-know-what. Nobody else will.
Pros
Cafeteria has good eats
Cons
Grow eyes in the back of your head
Lots of opportunity, good work life balance
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2019
Lots of opportunity, good work life balance. It gives you a perspective of both IT and the business side of things.There are some opportunities for cross functional learning as well.
Positive experience
DC Associate-Returns (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 2, 2018
I appreciated the work culture and leadership, however could not return to day shift after having another child (swing was the only option). As a single mom this unfortunately did not work.
Relaxing work place
Floor Manager/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYJanuary 3, 2019
Loved this company would have stayed with them if I had better leaders when 1st trained. Great company for advancement if you put in the had work. It's like being with your family in the store but higher up managment doesn't really care about you.
Great part-time gig during my undergrad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 15, 2018
Working at Columbia was a pleasant experience while finishing up my undergraduate degree. Management was very accommodating in altering my availability frequently, whether it was lowering my hours during finals and midterms, or packing in additional hours during relaxed periods of my semester. The pay was comfortable and the management was concerned in developing my merchandising and customer service skills.
Cons
3 weeks notice for time off, opposed to a standard 2 weeks.
okay location
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albertville, MNNovember 3, 2018
I was really excited to work here after being a stay at home mom for a little over a year. When I started everything was great, the staff was amazing and friendly and I enjoyed working in every area. Once I got done with all my training and was ready to be on my own, I noticed a lot of favoritism. If a staff didn't like a certain area and they were working with a certain manager they would switch and place a different staff in that spot. They were supposed to rotate on a schedule so no one was in the same place always and everyone was getting a chance every were. That didn't happen. So you would get burned out doing the loading dock or the stocking non stop while other staff mainly worked the floor
Pros
discounts
Cons
favoritism
Good job if you don’t have family
Shipping associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 18, 2019
Good fast pace environment, lots of forklift training and good break / lunch room , very high turn over rate can’t keep people because of pay and benefits
Pros
Face pace
Cons
No Benefits
Productive and welcoming atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wrentham, MANovember 5, 2018
Everyone that I worked with was very productive and engaging. Management encouraged customer interactions as our primary task. Maintaining store organization and cleanliness was a close second in terms of priorities.
Very productive and fun workplace
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 1, 2018
Great management from CEO to every different management levels. Good benefits with 50% store discounts for employees. Providing opportunities to work with people around the Globe.
High Paced Retail Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTMay 29, 2018
Working for Columbia Sportswear at the outlets in Lehi was a high volume job, and requires high productivity, and leaves you always on your feet. The products feature various technologies that are very specific depending on what usage it is for. It requires strong knowledge about the product, while also being able to maintain customer focus to ensure needs and wants are met. Management was great, they expect employees to always be on their best behavior, and maintaining a strong customer focus. Sometimes it is hard dealing with so many people at one time while trying to keep the store in good condition, but with hard work we are always successful, and remain one of the top Columbia stores in the country.
Pros
Discount on clothing, semi flexible hours
Cons
Crazy holidays, no paid time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia Sportswear. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss