Columbia University Employee Reviews

Columbia University is a great work place
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2019
I've been employed at Columbia U. for 13 years. I love the young energy of college grounds. A typical day at the office can begin slowly and turn fast-paced in a minute. I've learned to be flexible and to juggle tasks very well. Management is fine, and my department's friendly culture is a plus. Benefits are great but the salary isn't as good as from the private sector.

The hardest part of the job is having to perform a task that someone else doesn't want to do, and I find this is a waste of productive time for me. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with wonderful staff members who understand what I do and appreciate my contributions.
Pros
Flexible, good benefits
Cons
Advancement for some can be a challenge
Disorganized, micro-managed, underpaid
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2018
Columbia University SIPA lowered the pay of TAs and DRAs by 40-50% without consulting any of the students that would be affected. We were promised that nearly all second year students have over 50% of their tuition covered, what a lie. The administration and their messengers are so out of touch with reality and they're unorganized, like the Columbia executives. We are micro-managed and underpaid, and if I could go back in time, I would not have chosen to attend this school. They do not treat student workers with dignity or respect.
Pros
most of the faculty is great
Cons
no health benefits, underpaid, micro-managed, disrespected
Fun while it lasted
Assistant Watch Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2019
My time in faclites was grand. I came in as an A Mechanic in the HVAC shop and preformed well enough to be promoted to Assistant Watch Engineer very quickly. This caused much disturbance between my co-workers and I. They disagreed with mangement's decsion. As time progressed and mangement changed I began to have disagreement 's with my supervisor over trival matters. With dwindling support from the union and supervisors looking to make my co-workers happy with my dismissel, the inevitable occured my dismissel on the grounds of misconduct. No violence or failure in job duties, simple misconduct. That and I failed to pay bribes to both unioun members and mangement. Left me looking for greener pastures. Oh well sah la vi la vi. I was there and I crushed it while I was there
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
criminal atmosphere
Depends on the department, but a great place overall.
ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2018
At the medical center, there are several departments that seem to have a collaborative, supportive culture. In the department that I was in, it was difficult to collaborate with upper management, as new ideas or methods were met with negativity and push back, likely because of individual insecurities... But that was just the area that I was in. I wish I could have moved to another department before I left Columbia, because it is actually a great place to work and grow.
Pros
Exposure to many fields of medicine, benefits, pay
Cons
Department management style and culture is varied and inconsistent.
Poor culture and no growth opportunity
Officer level (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2018
Work at Morningside campus / Columbia Health at an officer level. The name is all that the institution has. No room for growth, poor salary. Nothing ever gets implemented. Horrible and toxic culture. Staff always out to find out who did what wrong instead of working together. Management and Human Resources is so afraid of dealing with difficult employees that those who work hard get burned out from picking up the “slack”. Not worth the aggravation and headache. Go work some place where you can really use your brains!
Comfortable place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2018
Columbia is great for work/life balance and benefits. However, could improve on career advancement opportunities. You could stay in the same role for several years and will either have to transfer internally or leave the University to advance.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
limited advancement opportunities
Great Place to Work!
Telephone Operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
Very relaxed environment. Always room to grow or get promoted. Very collaborative environment and company appreciation events. They have opportunities to go to school with tuition reimbursement, great health benefits and retirement plans for your needs. The best part I enjoy are the lunch and learn events they have where you can network and learn something new with other colleagues while enjoying refreshments.
Ok pay, good perks
RESEARCH ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Morningside Heights, NYSeptember 27, 2018
Average compensation for a nonprofit institution but superior perks. Educational opportunities, cultural events, free lectures and films abound. Very pleasant environment away from midtown and downtown with plenty of parks and river views for lunch and walks after work.
Pros
Very good working environment and great perks
Cons
Lack of management expertise in an inflexible bureaucratic structure.
Budget, Small Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2018
This is a great company to work for with a fantastic environment It has helped me to enhance my professional development in my career. Also provides great benefits
Don't do it
biller (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lee, NJSeptember 24, 2018
past employee THE WORSE PLACE TO WORK FOR ( ft.Lee) favoritism managers love the butt kissers !!!! The chatting with Hr offices in Ft.Lee amongst managers and employees for hours at a time is a disgrace. Hr and managers try to down talk you and when they see you do not tolerate their nonsense - you are truly Flagged and will pick on you and make you quit- turn around time is unreal!!! DON'T DO IT NOT WORTH THE AGGRAVATION
Benefits
Cons
Managment, H.R., dept leaders
Right department or school great job
Administrative Supervisor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 12, 2018
Benefits were excellent, my Manager was awesome and flexible. Overall there was no room for advancement in the Finance department. It was for certain people that had nothing to do with skill. There was a lot of down time. Several people i know that graduated from there were overlooked for advancement. The schools are better to work in. Low office morale. The salary was not competitive to my skill level and yrs of experience.
Benefits
Cons
No advancement
Overall good experience
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
Offers career advancement opportunities for hard working employees. Provides good employee benefits and paid time off. Work/life balance can sometimes be a challenge, as work hours can extend beyond 9-5.
Salaries do not match cost of living in NYC.
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2018
As a Postdoc, I was hoping to be able to take some courses, at least for a discount. Nope. You have to pay full price, which would immediately eat your tiny salary.

Columbia University itself is fairly disorganized. Each Department is on its own, nothing interoperates.
Pros
Some good labs
Cons
The doorman in my building made more than I did as a postdoc.
Special Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2018
great benefits and salary, with great people. More of a professional environment. Expected to work long hours during events season for the events but also for prepare and plan the events
Very good place to work. Easy to have a long career here.
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
I would highly recommend Columbia to friends and family as a great place to work. This is an organization that encourages and supports professional development. The benefits are great.
Great workplace
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2018
During a typical day at work I will come into the office to make sure that everything is ready for our first patients and I will assess my staff and evaluate their progress on their assigned work and discuss priorities. I've learned that it is important to have a can do attitude in order to get through the day and know that everyone your work with whether good or bad, is indirectly mentoring you at all times. The hardest part of the job is not knowing when to stop working, since it is always busy. I tend to work longer hours for that reason. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I am part of a team that manages to make it work throughout the day, no matter what type of day it is.
Pros
Great benefits, meeting new people
Cons
low salary, long hours
Relaxing and calm organized place to work for.
Students Office Affairs Clerk, Coordinated (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2018
Colombia University excellent company to work for it
in a professional ambient relaxing, calm and very well organize
excellent management support very well team oriented
in organizing events and black tie affairs. .
Pros
Good salary and proffesional working ambient
Cons
this was only a seasonal job.
Over-rated Ivy
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2018
Overall I enjoyed my experience at Columbia, but it was subpar compared to my previous experience at Oxford University. Compared to working in the UK/EU, the work-culture at Columbia is overly stressful, the pay is too low for NYC, and the lack of union representation is disconcerting, especially in light of the high-levels of mental health issues among the student and post-doc populations, inconsistencies in pay, lack of raises, poor health insurance, and a slow and poorly managed bureaucracy. The executives at Columbia do not represent the general University population, are often tone-deaf to the needs of students and employees, and do not seem to have a vision for the future.
Fast-paced workplace with great responsibility and confidentiality.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2018
Fast-paced and team work environment. I learned a huge quantity of medical terms, procedures codes and diagnoses. Reporting progress and updates on a daily basis to the supervisor. The workplace culture is diverse. The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff on a busy day with a large volume of work. The most fun part of the job is working with wonderful co-workers.
Pros
Benefits and location of workplace.
Cons
No brakes allowed except to the restrooms.
Excellent Tuition Exemption benefits
Director of budget and Finance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2018
The tuition exemption benefit allow employees/family members to enroll and attend degree programs free of charge (at Columbia or Barnard), or at cost.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
bureaucratic/competitive environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight