Columbia University Employee Reviews

A great place to gain teaching experience.
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2019
My teaching position was an unpaid position as I was still in graduate school. It's a great place to gain teaching experience and the students are above average.
Columbia University is a great work place
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2019
I've been employed at Columbia U. for 13 years. I love the young energy of college grounds. A typical day at the office can begin slowly and turn fast-paced in a minute. I've learned to be flexible and to juggle tasks very well. Management is fine, and my department's friendly culture is a plus. Benefits are great but the salary isn't as good as from the private sector.

The hardest part of the job is having to perform a task that someone else doesn't want to do, and I find this is a waste of productive time for me. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with wonderful staff members who understand what I do and appreciate my contributions.
Pros
Flexible, good benefits
Cons
Advancement for some can be a challenge
Fun while it lasted
Assistant Watch Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2019
My time in faclites was grand. I came in as an A Mechanic in the HVAC shop and preformed well enough to be promoted to Assistant Watch Engineer very quickly. This caused much disturbance between my co-workers and I. They disagreed with mangement's decsion. As time progressed and mangement changed I began to have disagreement 's with my supervisor over trival matters. With dwindling support from the union and supervisors looking to make my co-workers happy with my dismissel, the inevitable occured my dismissel on the grounds of misconduct. No violence or failure in job duties, simple misconduct. That and I failed to pay bribes to both unioun members and mangement. Left me looking for greener pastures. Oh well sah la vi la vi. I was there and I crushed it while I was there
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
criminal atmosphere
One day at a time
Accounts Receivable Specialist Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
It was great while it lasted but if you are brown nosing you will get a head. Hard workers tend to be over looked and over worked. I wish Columbia would take the time to appreciate their employees. Have managers take courses and learn how to treat the follow man. It isn't hard to show someone they have been doing a great job. More negatives than positives at this point. Union won't get you any where and being an Officer is tricky,
Not much of a review
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
I, in good faith, cannot write an appropriate review of the organization because I was not a full time employee. I was given a great opportunity at Columbia, but it was short lived.
Columbia University is an excellent place to work.
Academic Secretary - Executive Program for Nurses (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2018
Columbia University is a wonderful employer and an excellent place to work. Since the environment is educational, the culture is very positive. There are many opportunities for career advancement.
I would recommend working there.
Important place that doesn't value employees as much as they could
Men's and Women's Asst Track and Field Coach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2018
There are a lot of great initiatives and actions going on at Columbia, but they don't value their people as much as they could to maximize the school and athletic department's potential.
Great workplace
Student Affairs Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 24, 2018
I am able to set my schedule for meetings which I have with students, I work independently, but also works equally with department chair, Deans, and administrators
Terrible and uncaring culture
Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2018
A cold place, though there are many good people who work there. Various units and divisions are staffed with committed professionals, but central fosters a negative culture.
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2018
Team work getting to no each other building a family at work. When working together job gets done better an faster. Making ur day easy as possible team work makes everything work
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Thinking time

Want to know more about Columbia University?

Ask a question
Competetive and fast paced
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 16, 2018
Worked in the “experience of beginning psychotherapists” sector of the Psychotherapy, Technology, and Disclosure Lab.
• Assessed courage in beginning psychotherapists and examined the extent to which beginning psychotherapists use courage to perform clinical tasks.
• Conducted literature searches to operationalize courage and read relevant literature to determine which specific components of courage are important to beginning psychotherapists.
• Co-constructed semi-structured interviews on courage in beginning psychotherapists to be used with doctoral students at Teachers College, Columbia University for doctoral dissertation.
• Examined the extent to which beginning psychotherapists use informal sources of supervision by reading relevant literature, and in turn, co-constructed semi-structured interviews on the use of informal sources of supervision in beginning psychotherapists for doctoral student second yearproject.
Pros
Research experience and professional development
Cons
No room for job development
fast paced
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY, USDecember 7, 2018
as usual PhD is hectic but you interact with great faculty members and their collaborators that are best in their fields. You get to pickup multiple skills with lab instruments.
Director
Director, Cash Management and Treasury Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
Not a great place if you dont have a very good boss
The work isnt overly challenging but there is a lot of it
You only want to be in higher ed if you are faculty
fast pace
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  116 broadwayDecember 4, 2018
fast pace environment major holidays off celebrates cultures thru food small kitchen management show favoritisms I learn how to be a team leader lunch breaks are hour n half
Providing nurishing meals for the workforce of tomorrow was more of a pleasure than a job.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  N.Y. New YorkDecember 3, 2018
the management at the time I was employed was more hostile than hospitable. I was forced to resign due to his false claims of insubordination. Shorty thereafter he was terminated.
Great environment to work at.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2018
Always looked forward to getting to work, I had a set responsibility in which became very structured. I learned many things at Columbia I experienced new task and I learned so many different things. I had pleasure of working with amazing coworkers which was a plus since I am an outgoing individual.
Pros
Great environment and learning new things.
Cons
The NYC subway system.
Great place to work.
Medical Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2018
Working here was amazing. great atmosphere with friendly coworkers. Management was great and understanding. Loved the doctors, everyone is easy to work with. Love the updated location and computer system.
Pros
New and innovated in new location
Cons
No room for growth
Loved this job!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
I packages shipped and received books using online features on barnes & nobles. It was easy fun, and sometimes hardwork. However I'm looking for a job that has opportunity for growth.
Pros
Simple
Cons
Books can be heavy
Temp
Heavy Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2018
I was a temp for the facilities department in Columbia. Though I was only there for a few months my work experience there was great. The management and staff all were all amazing.
Overall good experience
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
Offers career advancement opportunities for hard working employees. Provides good employee benefits and paid time off. Work/life balance can sometimes be a challenge, as work hours can extend beyond 9-5.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight