Columbia University Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Ivy League school that has the best staff working there. They only accept the best but they paying very well and have excellent employee benefits. If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to work there count yourself lucky and try to stay for the rest of your career.
Pros
Cons
Took one month to get my first check
Productive place to work at.
Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Everyone works as a team and supports each other. It can be very busy at times, but with the help of coworkers everyone gets through the day. I learned many things at working at Columbia, customer service always comes first.
Pros
We get free breakfast sometimes
Cons
short breaks
n/a
Tennis Professional (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 12, 2018
As a head professional part time, another income is needed. This job. was a wonderful learning experience and I'm grateful. A full time position would be better
Work Life Balance?
Catering Sales, UEM Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2018
Overall the benefits and time off are great! Poor management in my division. People are promoted based on time and not on ability to manage people. You often have to do the job of 3 people due to personnel leaving, and or no new hires. Hiring process is long and arduous at best.

My experience in the office I work in is such. I do know of many people who are happy with the departments they are in. This one is not one of them.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
over worked no Work life balance
great
Porter C (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2018
great schedule and flexible , learn new skills and routines. friendly environment . great work benefits and personal. Great a managers and co workers.
Pros
great schedule
Cons
non
One of the beast places to work.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2018
I worked as a tutor to a highly competitive high school students. It was one of my dream jobs. I was even paid for extra hours. The management is very understanding.
Horrible management
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2018
A top-heavy organization with very few people to execute the work. Those who execute the work are not rewarded with praise or compensation. Extremely hard to move up, very little room for growth.
Benefits
AVP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Company offers good vacation allowance and extra days off around major holidays. Numerous options for health care. Good 403b offerings. Tuition benefits are also available
Great benefits if you can put up with the dysfunction
Undergraduate Curriculum Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Columbia has failed to adopt many of the management structures that are rather commonplace at competitive businesses and organizations these days. I found there was very little accountability and oversight. Managers were basically free to treat their workers like scum as long as they stayed within the letter of the law, and it was pretty clear that workers had few, if any, options for redressing grievances. I saw some rather extreme abuses by staff during my time there, and the university authorities basically just shrugged it off and said there was nothing they could do.

That being said, it's hard to argue with the amazing perks that came along with working for an Ivy League university. It's a great job if you happen to get a good manager. I did not.
Educational, great environment
Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
This was a great job. The dean I worked for was a wonderful and fair person. My job was very instructive as to the functions of the financial aspect of the architecture school.
Pros
Great atmosphere, learned a lot, competitive
Cons
Temporary position
Work life
Patent Prosecution Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2018
I enjoyed my job and would recommend working at CU very much. The benefits are good and I learned a lot while i was working. The campus is very beautiful,
Very competitive working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2018
Good place to work. A lot of intelligent people work there. You can learn a lot from your co-workers. Very competitive. You have to be very dedicated to your work.
Pros
Competitive
Great management
line cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2018
They treated me and the other workers as a friend and worker. The atmosphere was like a family. Everyone helped each other and didn't try to through each other under the bus. Holidays the staff gave gift cards to employees. I was only a temp and they made me feel like a fellow company worker.
Pros
Food, no pressure. Great Sense of humor.
Cons
None.
Poorly managed
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYJanuary 22, 2018
A boy's club, with no parameters for progress.
Clickish and not a thriving environment.
Needs new leadership to steer away from a bad pattern to a more equitable place.
assistant
Temporary Student Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 22, 2018
its okay i work as a temm job i was hoping they keep me but they didn't,I got the chance to work for Columbia University working for the Administrative Assistant, Mechanical Engineering Department. I was responsible for Coordinated and maintained records for staff, assisted with reviewing company p-cards, and manage office keys. Created and modified documents utilizing Microsoft and Quartzy
Work environment is great depending on who you work with
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
This is an excellent company to work for! I greatly enjoy working at the company as with all jobs you can't decide who you work with. Management is often confused, stressed, and needs help. It's very frustrating as an employee.
Pros
Paid Time Off
CUMC employment often dependent on grants
Senior Systems Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2018
The work is fascinating but is dependent on financing that is feudal. Money comes from grants and is taxed by the dean and trickles down from there. The benefits are, however, great. The intersection of medical and computational research is a rewarding place to be.
Pros
wonderful problems to solve
Cons
insecure funding
Disconnect Between Admin and Teachers
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
I didn't get paid for like two months at first. Professor had no idea. They're anti-union. They tried to prevent unionization while offering nothing in return.
Fine place
Astrophysicist & Science Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Fine place. Great rugby team and orchestra.
Cathedral. Open space. Go Columbia Lions! Lion's Head Bar.
Riverside Park. Broadway. Starbucks. Morning 2 Midnight.
Great starting point
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
Great place to start off a career in higher ed or medical administration field.
It is family friendly and managers a flexible to your needs.
Benefits are excellent if you have kids in private school.
Pros
Flexible managers
Cons
Lack of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2