Columbia University

Columbia University insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Overall its a good company if you desire job security, good compensation for being a cleaner and a steady paycheck while you seek a primary objective.

A typical day of work consist of having a routine...which usually as a heavy cleaner has to do with picking up garbage, maintaining bathrooms, common areas etcetera.Management varies. If you dont like your management, you can always transfer to another department. The area is so big.The enjoyable part of the job is the compensation we receive for being cleaners. You feel fantastic once you clock out you dont feel any stress after work.The hardest part has to be with dealing with mediocre management, some managers were just never meant to be managers. Were probably promoted because of their gender.

Competitive and prestigious institution

The name means a lot when searching for future jobs, it’s very prestigious. That being said, many people working there are there for the name, and don’t actively contribute to a fun and supportive community, though there are definitely pockets of people pushing for community and inclusion. A good place to work if you can focus on advancing and leveraging the prestige for future endeavors

Pros

Being a member of the Ivy League, Living in NYC with the world at your fingertips

Cons

Vacations discouraged in many research settings, High levels of competition amongst colleagues and supervisors, Compensation low for living in NYC

The great pandemic shift

Inability to to streamline process which in turn causes heavy work burden. Many administrative areas are understaffed so emoyees often burn out. Managers are often inexperienced or burnt out employees often feel overlooked, and under appreciated.

Benefits

Cons

Internal politics

nice flexibility

Lots of freedom in terms of what you do each day, especially if you are working in research like I was. compensation is not great, but its a university so can't expect much.

Great Learning Environment

Columbia University Medical Center is a great place for an NP to flourish and learn. They provide many opportunities for continuing education on the job. The MDs are mostly helpful and respectful Advanced Practice Providers. Columbia University pride themselves on diversity which is seen in the diverse staff and patients we care for! They have great vacation and benefits packages. Overall I am very happy!

Pros

Diversity, Learning Environment

Cons

Better starting salary for NPs

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Great Benefits, Management cares about you

I've been with Columbia for 4 years and the thing that has stood out to me aside from the good benefits (health insurance, tuition reimbursement) is that Management really cares about you professionally and personally. I've felt incredibly supported by my superiors and appreciate it because the kind of support they have given me is hard to find. They really look out for you

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement, Medical, Dental insurance

Cons

Parking around Columbia is a nightmare.

Productive workplace but too decentralized; hard to keep a work/life balance

Pay is low for Directors of academic departments. Job description advertises 35 hours per week, when in reality you must work 50-70 hrs in order to complete the tasks on-time.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Difficult to have a work/life balance

Valuable Experience for Entry-Level Employees

As an Assistant Director, it was a good place to advance your career before moving on to a different position. Being in New York City is a major benefit for those who seek meaningful life experiences outside of the workplace. However, the pay is relatively low compared to the cost of living in the city. Employees can take advantage of the tuition remission program which is invaluable for those looking to earn an advanced degree. Co-workers were nice although there was a high level of attrition and employee turnover. Overall, it was a good experience.

Pros

Location, Benefits, Tuition Remission

Cons

Employee Attrition/Turnover, Low Pay Compared to Cost of Living in the Area

Pretty good

Love working here. They give you a routine and you just work it on your work days from start to finish. Then the next day I come back and do it all over again.

Pros

Benefits, pay rate, union reps

Cons

working here just looks good on your resume

Columbia has many different departments and all departments pretty much keep to themselves. My department is a mess...no space, employees are overworked and under paid, and there is high turnover rate. There is a lot of politics you have to deal with.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

dont really care about employees

SVR- A great office with wonderful people.

Worked in the SVR office, everyone was extremely kind and it was a good work environment. Just wish the salary was higher for student employees, as there is a lot of work to do!

Pros

Long breaks, good work vibes

Cons

No healthcare, paid time off, given sick time

very stressful and very overwhelming. .

Columbia is a great place to work, so many smart people. But they try to do three man job with one. They always saying no budget to buy anything new. Budget is a big issue.

Pros

Excellent health benefits.

They take seriously the best way to run a business--whether it is by supporting their employees or other ways of organizational development. My colleagues were professional, collegial, respectful and fun! I highly recommend this to potential employees.

Pros

Compensation, benefits, professionalism

Supportive work environment, good benefits, a little slow moving

COVID HIRE - Matters because I can't say if this is the normal experience or not. Depending on your department, the flow of work may be slower. Overall, supportive coworkers, felt cared for overall as an entry-level employee, great learning environment - only real issue was a difference in work pace, but that is easily rectified and not a true negative. If you like a more relaxed environment, you'd like my branch.

Pros

Support, community, benefits

Cons

Can be slow-moving

Challenging Work Environment

There is little room for advancement and a cutthroat culture. The benefits are the biggest perk so in a society where health care is not a basic human right, institutions can continue to underpay, overwork and undervalue employees who are shackled to health benefits.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

See above.

Disappointing, yet big learning experience...

I want to write a fair review as possible as I understand everyone's experiences are different. Here's my HONEST review. Columbia University is a prestigious institute that I've been honored to contribute to and be a part of. Great benefits, great PTO, surrounded by many like-minded professionals, also free tuition if you qualify! That's where it ended for me. Management (especially management) and HR is what turned me completely off from Columbia University. You're frowned upon if you leave on time. (Not so good news if you're a parent that has to pick up their children from aftercare.) I knew it was time to leave once I began feeling anxiety stepping into work every-day while my boss waits for me to arrive to begin bullying me. It became extremely difficult to do my job at one point which became unhealthy for me. There were nights I would jump out of my sleep because of how anxious I was knowing I had to step into work the very next morning. Supportive co-workers, however, at some point....management WILL bully you. If you're someone that does not stand up to management, takes all the hits (be prepared to project all of your anxiety and frustrations out on your family and loved ones), and excels in a cookie-cutter work environment then this place is for you.

Pros

Benefits, Bragging Rights

Cons

Hostile Management

Law school

The hours I work and the pay. The build I work in is the best. The people I work with are team players. The parking is hard to fine. There are plenty of places to eat.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Not enough days off

Good student job

Work study was good. If you're a student here would highly recommend working at the libraries, the work is easy and management is very chill and accomodating

Wonderful

My supervisor was very supportive and interested in promoting my work and career. in general the team was very inclusive and offer flexibility on working time.

Pros

culture

Cons

low compensation

Not the best place to work for someone new to the field.

No given much guidance or training was thrown into the deep end and expected to take on responsibilities due to more experienced leaving. Department is very disorganized, and little to no support provided. The office environment is not welcoming, very toxic.

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits, lots of responsibilities and learning experience for Pre-Med/PhD tracks.

Cons

No work-life balance, office culture, minimal training and guidence

Poor Work Life Balance

Work life balance was way off. The salary was decent at first when in office but at home we were expected to work crazy hours. Wasn't worth it. I left to keep my sanity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight