Columbia University Employee Reviews

Great
Researcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2017
It was great working here. It was an amazing experience and I learned a lot. I was taught many skills that will allow me to continue succeed in my field.
Ok Organizaion to learn
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
A typical day at work is hectic, very disorganized organization to work in. Management thinks you have no life and expects you to work all hours. There is a lot to learn but with an unorganized culture its very hard to get up to speed. You get paid for one job but in reality you are doing a two man job.
exciting attmosphere with beatuful architecture
Executive Chef UEM, Columbia Catering (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2017
Exciting to work in fast paced catering department with challenging menus and high end catered events in a college atmosphere where all functions had very unique differences
Pros
good hours
Cons
politics
Fun place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
Working for the students at SIPA was great.

Working at SIPA I learn about different culture the school was for International Affairs

Working with United Nations was great experience working and learning about different policy for the students.
Pros
Family
Cons
N/a
Lab Technician
Manager/Research (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2017
I enjoyed working at Columbia University. My PI was reasonable, we had a flexible schedule, and she was more than willing to allow us to get onto papers.

It was a Union position, so there was great benefits and the pay was decent for lab work, although it is low for Manhattan.
Pros
Decent pay, great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
Some after hours and weekend work
Loved it!
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2017
I worked at CU for MANY years and was very happy. The campus is beautiful during winter when College Walk is all lit up! The people are nice and the there are so many places to hang out and eat and shop - it's great!
This was a Teaching Assistant position. From what I have heard, it is very similar to TA positions at other universities.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  School of International and Public AffairsNovember 8, 2017
This was a Teaching Assistant position. From what I have heard, it is very similar to TA positions at other universities and includes all that one would expect from a such a role,
Pros
Students will network with you.
Cons
You are the reason when anything goes wrong for the Professor.
Great opportunity
Director of the Student Service Center (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2017
Great place to work. My position was downsized when a new associate vice president came into the organization and reorganized as a cost savings initiative.
Columbia leaves a lot to be desired
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2017
Management needs better training and people skills. For such a large well-known establishment, management sometimes lack the skills needed to make employees feel welcome, appreciated and valued. This is something that should be giving greater attention and detail to.
Very stressful job
Administrative/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2017
The Columbia University Department of Public Safety was a very stressful job. Management was very demanding to the point of demanding too much of an employee.
Challenging
Professor of the Medical Transcription (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoOctober 29, 2017
Very gratifying as a professor outreach students with low probabilities for college education, but committed to their futures. Certified courses give then opportunity to due sometime good with their life.
Pros
Committed to education
Cons
Certified courses planning
Taught as part-time Adjunct Lecturer in Masters of Applied Analytics
Adjunct Professor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2017
Was a new program and the course was under development. Some sections were taught in-person, others were remote (video-based).

It was difficult to tailor classes to the diverse group of students. However, I think the program is receptive to feedback and will continue to adapt its curriculum to student demands.

Would be good to pay faculty a substantive amount for developing course materials. I sometimes felt like I faced the choice between putting in a ton of unpaid work to design course material or going to class unprepared and with incomplete lectures.
Overall Good
Otology Surgical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2017
Day to day work is manageable. Great place to network. Easy to move withing the company for better opportunities. Management, in certain departments can be extremely petty.
Pros
Company Benefits
Cons
Bad managerial teams
busy and great for new comers
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, NJOctober 25, 2017
My first job as medical biller and coder. Management was great, team leader were very helpful great pay for very new employees. great benefits had to traver 2 hours each way but loved working there.
Meh
Manager of Systems and Infrastructure - CCIT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2017
One can get away with doing very little ... or do a lot, but not be rewarded properly. Get in the club, stay in the club. Not exactly the essence of meritocracy.
Exciting and fulfilling work place.
Business & Education Program Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2017
I enjoyed working at the University as it gave me the opportunity to interface with many interesting people, doing extraordinary things. There were many opportunities for professional development and career advancement.
I am grateful to work at Columbia U for it allowed to me showcase my many talents and sharpen my skill sets.
Assistant Event Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2017
A typical day for the Event management staff was to check your assignments for the day/eve...make sure all parties were engaged regarding setup..support staff , crew working the event and all menus was current etc. It was always a pleasure to meet world leaders and local city leadership or celebrity folks. The worst part of the job is the things that you couldn't prepare for but you must rise to the occasion and use all your work decorum and professionalism to force a favorable outcome. ,Management is great for the most part because they all more less have experienced the pro/cons of the job its just the nature or the culture of Event management. I am grateful for the awesome opportunity to work for Columbia U for it helped me to showcase my many talents and skill sets.
Pros
Great food
Cons
Gaining weight from the great food.
Library-type environment
CONSULTANT / PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about all of the fantastic programs that Columbia offers and is involved in globally. The most challenging part of the job was the lack of social culture. It was a library-type environment.
Pros
Academic / Continuing Education Opportunities
Cons
No comraderie
Good staff.
Technician A- Pathology & Cell Biology (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
The workplace is nice, people strive to be dedicated and work towards the progression of better results. Columbia University would be a great place for anyone starting off their careers but for anyone with previous professionalism should look elsewhere for better pay and promotion.
Cons
Pay, Lack of promotion within
Review
echosonographer (Former Employee) –  Branch, NYOctober 14, 2017
Excellent training, good perks but very exhausting physically and fast paced. The company is very good and trains you very well and provides you with all the gadgets but I was drained at the end of the day. I was doing lot of documentation at home to keep up with the work pace esp because . It is quite a challenge but may get easier with time and practice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbia University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.3Fairygodboss Score

69%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

69%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.