Columbus McKinnon Corporation Employee Reviews

Was a solid company that treated me well .
Manager Trolley Department (Former Employee) –  Salem, OH 44460August 15, 2018
I worked hard and was promoted to manager of the Trolley assembly department. We picked the parts orders for each individual order, assembled and mounted the trolleys and then tested them. After a positive test I sent the units to paint to be painted and then prepped for shipment. It was my first experience in a union facility but I was well received because of my work ethic and attitude.
Pros
Overtime was available
Cons
The shift i worked was normally 7 PM to 5 AM it was difficult
Career growth, great pay
Representative (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYAugust 2, 2018
Great pay
Career Development
Mentor

I've enjoyed the past 7 years I've been here, the culture changing is making me want to stay longer, new workplace.
Cons
Too much work to do
Stressful place to work
Assembly Worker/Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Wadesboro, NCApril 25, 2018
Management is horrible!!! Hard workers is treated wrong,sorry workers they love. But for the most part it’s a good job when it comes down to making money.
Pros
Overtime
Sinking Ship w/o Life Preservers
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 2, 2018
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
Disapproves of CEO
I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than a year)

Advice to Management

Commit the resources necessary to right the Chattanooga operation or sell the business unit. Develop a five year plan with targeted realistic improvement goals; stabilize leadership (5 GM's in last 3 years) and have the patience to see it through. The impact of your decision to merge Chattanooga and Midland Forges without a coherent transition and operational business plan is what is the driving challenge for the facility.
Cutting people simply to be profitable is a reactionary and short term perspective that will lead to disaster. Fix and stabilize the product line; Force sales to forecast and to hit realistic growth targets and then hold them accountable. Don't simply blame operations for shortfalls when sales under-performs by 10% every year. "You cannot save yourself to profitability."
Hire and install qualified and skilled senior supervisors at both the Forge and at EC. Junior leadership need to be skilled in dealing with people and holding them accountable for their performance. There is a tendency for all leadership to abdicate responsibility for management of process, leadership and training of junior operators and then wonder why the teams fails. It's a trend present throughout the entire company.
Pros
Unique industry accepted Brand Leader in Forging products line, Great People who really want to create success, Non-Union Environment
Cons
No incentive program, Clueless upper management, No Strategic Planning, Dis-functional stove piped new product development process, Poor internal communications, Very reactionary upper management to bad news, Archaic IT systems, Three Reductions In Force (Layoffs) in less than 18 Months, Senior Management (Selective Director Level personnel) Very insecure and abusive, No people skills
Horrible backwards place to work
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Dasmascus VirginiaJanuary 6, 2018
This company has dinosaurs as corporate management with old school thinking. Very cut throat enviroment to work in. Excessive overtime and wasted money due to poor management and poor planning. High turnover in management. Very backwards.
Benefits
Busy company
Warehouse / Chain-up tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2017
Company was a mid level company as to treating employees fair and in a supportive manner. There was no room for growth within the company, but it was constant work. Management was not employee friendly, but the benefits were great.
Pros
Great tools to learn with. i.e, different softwares used to do job
Cons
No promotion possibilites and pay raises were at minimum if any
Transitional period with new CEO
Administration (Current Employee) –  CorporateNovember 6, 2017
Things are slowly changing but there is still a lot of clinging to the old ways and the senior management team shows favoritism to their chosen few and this still affects morale. Many senior managers are also out to promote their own agendas and they have no desire to be part of a great team. This means turnover will remain steady.
Pros
Some nice people at corporate office
Cons
Senior management does not seem to have any desire for a better culture
Columbus McKinnon Corporation (Lexington, Tennessee) has always been a great place to work for me.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, TNJuly 25, 2017
I have worked for Columbus McKinnon thirty nine years, all at the Lexington, Tennessee location. I have found this company to be a great place to work, obviously by the years I have been here. The current management staff is honest and seems to respect the hourly workers and their opinions.
Pros
Very strong management team.
Cons
Advancement slow due to time of service of current employees.
Great company to work for and great people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYJuly 18, 2017
I've worked at CMCO for over 15 years and actually enjoy coming to work because of the people who work here -- they are the reason why this company is great, and they are the best part of the job.

The hardest part of the job is balancing all the work I have, you never lack for work here, but coworkers are glad to help and management is understanding if you explain why you are having problems getting tasks completed and will help you manage your work load.

Health benefits could be better, we only have one provider and they are not very good, I have to go on my partner's health plan to get any coverage.

I've learned a lot during my time here, and some of it is outside of my job description; I really enjoy that I get to do new things often and am not stuck doing the same task over and over. I'm getting paid to learn new skills -- how is that not a good thing?
Pros
Amazing coworkers, learning on the job
Cons
Health benefits
Looking to the future
Associate (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYJuly 5, 2017
There have been a lot of opportunities for improvement in the past but management and the new CEO are focused on the right things. Changes happening are making it a stronger organization with a better global outlook, leveraging the product portfolio and setting higher expectations of everyone including management. Great time to join if you want to get a variety of experience and have an impact on results on a medium-sized global, public company. The people here really do care about the company and each other, which is so refreshing. The work is challenging but the pace is just right for quality work/life balance. I truly feel like I've accomplished something valued every day. I'm glad I joined this company!
Pros
New CEO, new vision, great products, challenging work and opportunity to have an impact, competitive salary and benefits, some departments offer opportunity to work from home and flex hours as needed
Cons
Somewhat complicated structure for its size
Former employer
Business Analyst Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 4, 2017
This is a former employer, it is like all other companies, there are positives and negatives. I left to pursue other opportunities to expand my career.
Not Great Products, Terrible Management
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Getzville, NYMay 18, 2017
If you like incompetent management, no customer service back up and less than quality products, then CM is the place for you.
Don't expect any loyalty form above, because you will get none. When you get hired, make sure everything is in writing as you will be hung out to dry.
On the good side, they do have excellent benefits.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Just about everything else.
good
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Salem, OHMay 3, 2017
I did not work there very long but for the most part it was an alright place to work. I learned a lot about the product in a short amount of time. have a nice day.
Changes frequently
Internship (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYMarch 14, 2017
There is constant change. High turnover of staff, systems are changing, processes change, the only thing that does not change is your vacation PTO as well as your salary
Great products and excellent field sales team
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Getzville, NYMarch 7, 2017
CMCO has a great product portfolio, excellent field sales teams and great distribution. Their executive level management is weak and their constantly changing strategy is confusing to customers. Customer service is poor.
Pros
Great people in outside sales force, great product portfolio
Cons
Constant change, upper management out of touch with customers
Poor Management, no job security and the union is a joke
labor (Former Employee) –  Salem, OHJanuary 21, 2017
The management team has no idea what is going on. No job security at all for the last 2 years they have laid 5 to 10 people off every year in January.
Pros
Cons
to many people in management, weak union
A good company that could be Great
Global Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYOctober 26, 2015
Columbus McKinnon is a company trying to expand a business culture into its global subsidiaries that typically operated autonomously in the past. The company is implementing SAP in the European businesses and is depending to use that software as the basis for how the domestic businesses will run in the future. It will have many great growing pains in the near future as it deals with the constraints of the software that will be in conflict with the varying operating scenarios that the subsidiaries now are allowed to operate under.
Pros
Cash Cow Products that keep the company's balance sheet in nice condition
Cons
Poor Engineering deliverers sub-standard, non-competitive products that will make CMCO loose market share
Good Pay No Life if There is Work
Heat Treat Technician (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 29, 2015
Dangerous work that pays well. Company is finally trying to fix safety issues but are too slow. Zero communication between management leads to many unnecessary problems. When hired for my last position was suppose to be 5 8-hour days but ended up being 60-68 hours a week for 6 months straight then back down to 58 hours.
Pros
Money and great coworkers.
Cons
Management and human resources.
Rigid Micromanagement
Customer Account Analyst (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYSeptember 22, 2015
One way to do each task - no room to make your own successes or be creative. Very micromanaged. Zero trust and low respect for employees.
Pros
Fair compensation
Cons
Micromanagement - Low morale
Horrilble establishment
Reciving and storage (Current Employee) –  Damascus VAJuly 30, 2015
No future at this company I have worked there for four years with a very good work ethic and there is no opportunity for advancement. Four years of my professional career gone. I wouldn't recommend this type of environment for anyone. Hire people off the street in better jobs that has no idea of operations and it is killing the company.
Pros
Cons
Very poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbus McKinnon Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9