Columbus McKinnon Corporation Employee Reviews

poor management decisions, back stabbing, lies
Designer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Howell, MIMarch 17, 2019
Poor management decisions, told lies to keep you from resolving work related issues, high turn over due to back stabbing.
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
Not a place to work
Maintenance Millwright (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 21, 2019
If somwone thats been there for years wants you to do something wrong and you dont they will have you fired it doesnt matter if they were in the wrong or not you'll be gone for it
Work hard and you will be rewarded.
Application and Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mid AtlanticFebruary 12, 2019
Needs to give us the tools to do our reporting in the field rather than in the office. Other than that, they are a great company to work for. They seem to have a pulse on the future of the industry.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Micromanaging
Great products, poor work environment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 3, 2019
Keep in mind this review is at the plant level, not corporate, and for a salaried non-exempt position. The corporate office is an entirely different beast, and, in my opinion after many many years, and many visits there, I really believe it would be a great place to work. They just do not see/deal with the down and dirty operations side of things. I worked at the plant level, and the work itself was very enjoyable, although there was zero room for advancement due to very few salaried associates being employed at each plant. No matter what you do, you won't move out of your beginning salary range unless you get a title change by moving into a different position. Raises are VERY low, usually 1-3%, and the max for each title is low compared to the market. Someone had to retire or pass away before you could move up the chain, as usually there is only one managerial spot with no turnover. So it is a dead end position once you accept a salaried spot at the plant level, unless it is just a really, really bad site and folks come and go like a revolving door (which is rare for CM locations). There is NO work life balance. You are expected to stay until the job is done. I won't elaborate but it is a very 1950's mentality at the plant level, in regards to how various groups of employees are treated, promoted, and viewed, and like I said corporate is an entirely different world. Here's an insight--I left there for a similar position at another company for $18k more a year. Left there within a year to a position with $10k more than that one. Presentlly, 6 years after leaving  more... CM, I make almost $30k more than if I had stayed. And if I had stayed, I would be making probably $2-$3k more per year and in the same position. There is just no ladder to climb if that is what you are after. Honestly, I stayed far too long, but it is drilled into you that you should be grateful they let you work there (again, the 1950's mentality and management style).  less
Pros
Great coworkers around the globe you get to interact with
Cons
No room for advancement, outdated culture and technology
Very political
Welder Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLDecember 16, 2018
employees are all very tight knit group either you were part of group or you would not get any help or advise from other employees on problem you may have with project
Pros
god benifits
Cons
short breaks
Very professional, highly organized organization
Corporate Accounting Contractor (Former Employee) –  Getzville, NYDecember 3, 2018
I worked as a contractor in the corporate controlling group. Highly structured and organized organization that went through a system migration at the time.
Good people, not so good management style
SAP Supply Chain Lead Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 20, 2018
Company is too decentralized. The business wants to grow but cannot with the management hierarchy that is currently in place. More change is needed from the top down.
Poor management
CNC OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 23, 2018
Low moral due to long hours & poor management. Production rates were often unobtainable. Very difficult to advance due to the “buddy system” worked a lot of overtime.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No home life if you work here.
Assembly Line Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Damascus, VASeptember 10, 2018
If you are single and don't have a life good place to work. They work you 58+ hours every week. Second shift works Monday night threw Saturday night no home life at all and the company don't care. They will work you overtime even when you don't have work to do just because they can. Would not recommend to someone with a family that you like to spend time with.
Cons
Healthcare sucks. Way to much over time for no reason.
Changing, more lean
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Damascus, VAAugust 23, 2018
Good pay for the area, going more lean with a new CEO. Communications from the managers needs to improve, and some are not qualified. Union environment so the pay is the same for the good workers vs. the bad workers.
Pros
Pay, very flexible time off with the point system
Cons
Union environment
Was a solid company that treated me well .
Manager Trolley Department (Former Employee) –  Salem, OH 44460August 15, 2018
I worked hard and was promoted to manager of the Trolley assembly department. We picked the parts orders for each individual order, assembled and mounted the trolleys and then tested them. After a positive test I sent the units to paint to be painted and then prepped for shipment. It was my first experience in a union facility but I was well received because of my work ethic and attitude.
Pros
Overtime was available
Cons
The shift i worked was normally 7 PM to 5 AM it was difficult
Career growth, great pay
Representative (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYAugust 2, 2018
Great pay
Career Development
Mentor

I've enjoyed the past 7 years I've been here, the culture changing is making me want to stay longer, new workplace.
Cons
Too much work to do
laid back
CNC Setup/Operator (Current Employee) –  Wadesboro, NCMay 20, 2018
other than the pay this place has a cut throat environment from one shift to the other. the work atmosphere is ok but a lot of the staff feel like your there to take there job so they don't like to properly train you
Stressful place to work
Assembly Worker/Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Wadesboro, NCApril 25, 2018
Management is horrible!!! Hard workers is treated wrong,sorry workers they love. But for the most part it’s a good job when it comes down to making money.
Pros
Overtime
Sinking Ship w/o Life Preservers
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 2, 2018
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
Disapproves of CEO
I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time (More than a year)

Advice to Management

Commit the resources necessary to right the Chattanooga operation or sell the business unit. Develop a five year plan with targeted realistic improvement goals; stabilize leadership (5 GM's in last 3 years) and have the patience to see it through. The impact of your decision to merge Chattanooga and Midland Forges without a coherent transition and operational business plan is what is the driving challenge for the facility.
Cutting people simply to be profitable is a reactionary and short term perspective that will lead to disaster. Fix and stabilize the product line; Force sales to forecast and to hit realistic growth targets and then hold them accountable. Don't simply blame operations for shortfalls when sales under-performs by 10% every year. "You cannot save yourself to profitability."
Hire and install qualified and skilled senior supervisors at both the Forge and at EC. Junior leadership need to be skilled in dealing with people and holding them accountable for their performance. There is a tendency for all leadership to abdicate responsibility for management of process, leadership and training of junior operators and then wonder why the teams fails. It's a trend present throughout the entire company.
Pros
Unique industry accepted Brand Leader in Forging products line, Great People who really want to create success, Non-Union Environment
Cons
No incentive program, Clueless upper management, No Strategic Planning, Dis-functional stove piped new product development process, Poor internal communications, Very reactionary upper management to bad news, Archaic IT systems, Three Reductions In Force (Layoffs) in less than 18 Months, Senior Management (Selective Director Level personnel) Very insecure and abusive, No people skills
Horrible backwards place to work
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Dasmascus VirginiaJanuary 6, 2018
This company has dinosaurs as corporate management with old school thinking. Very cut throat enviroment to work in. Excessive overtime and wasted money due to poor management and poor planning. High turnover in management. Very backwards.
Benefits
Busy company
Warehouse / Chain-up tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2017
Company was a mid level company as to treating employees fair and in a supportive manner. There was no room for growth within the company, but it was constant work. Management was not employee friendly, but the benefits were great.
Pros
Great tools to learn with. i.e, different softwares used to do job
Cons
No promotion possibilites and pay raises were at minimum if any
Transitional period with new CEO
Administration (Current Employee) –  CorporateNovember 6, 2017
Things are slowly changing but there is still a lot of clinging to the old ways and the senior management team shows favoritism to their chosen few and this still affects morale. Many senior managers are also out to promote their own agendas and they have no desire to be part of a great team. This means turnover will remain steady.
Pros
Some nice people at corporate office
Cons
Senior management does not seem to have any desire for a better culture
Columbus McKinnon Corporation (Lexington, Tennessee) has always been a great place to work for me.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, TNJuly 25, 2017
I have worked for Columbus McKinnon thirty nine years, all at the Lexington, Tennessee location. I have found this company to be a great place to work, obviously by the years I have been here. The current management staff is honest and seems to respect the hourly workers and their opinions.
Pros
Very strong management team.
Cons
Advancement slow due to time of service of current employees.
Great company to work for and great people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYJuly 18, 2017
I've worked at CMCO for over 15 years and actually enjoy coming to work because of the people who work here -- they are the reason why this company is great, and they are the best part of the job.

The hardest part of the job is balancing all the work I have, you never lack for work here, but coworkers are glad to help and management is understanding if you explain why you are having problems getting tasks completed and will help you manage your work load.

Health benefits could be better, we only have one provider and they are not very good, I have to go on my partner's health plan to get any coverage.

I've learned a lot during my time here, and some of it is outside of my job description; I really enjoy that I get to do new things often and am not stuck doing the same task over and over. I'm getting paid to learn new skills -- how is that not a good thing?
Pros
Amazing coworkers, learning on the job
Cons
Health benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Columbus McKinnon Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9