Columbus Metropolitan Library Employee Reviews

I loved this job.
Homework Help Center Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2019
Although I was just a volunteer, I really enjoyed everything about Columbus Metropolitan Library. I enjoyed my coworkers and the students that walked through our doors each day.
Great place to work but VERY competitive!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHMarch 27, 2019
CML is an excellent library system to work for. The pay is good, and hours are what would be expected at a library. Management is helpful and training is plentiful. However, there are almost no full-time positions and the few that there are are cutthroat to get.
a good place to bond with childrens and being able to help them out on their homewrok oor to readd books.
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 22, 2019
A good place to bond with childrens and being able to help them out on their homewrok oor to readd books. The kids like do reading games and mathe games.
Boring, repetitive, heavy lifting, odd co-workers
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OH 43230February 24, 2019
Low-paying production environment job standing, sorting and hauling heavy crates. Noisy, hazardous. Dead-end part-time job with no future and no advancement opportunities. Attracts oddball, loser employees who can't get a job anywhere else. Supervisor disappears often.

You get a 15 min. break for working 6 hrs. In that time you have to: eat/drink, use restroom, check your company emails, sit down.

They always have vacancies/high turnover- so you'll be doing the work of two people.

Don't waste your time.
Pros
Free parking lot
Cons
15 min. break for 6 hrs. of standing and lifting; disorganization; Aspergers-type co-workers
Fun work and creative
Teen Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 7, 2019
I liked how the library cared about helping, working with kids, and being creative. But, the overall perspective of employees is counter to the demographic. They need to diversify their staff.
Pros
pay, hours, parking
Cons
diversity, cultural awareness
Relaxed enfironment
Telecom Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 21, 2019
Management was flexible with allowing the employees to simply do their job on a daily basis.

Day to day activities did not vary. Technological changes were slow to develop.
Very Productive and Intuitive Workplace
Summer Intern, Development and Annuity (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2018
A typical work day consisted of entering constituents into the company's database as well as printing and filing information to keep in company records. Management was very helpful in answering any questions I had and always gave good feedback. Very quiet environment no distractions which allowed me to be very productive.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Short Breaks
Environment where hard work is punished and incompetence is rewarded
Protective Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 30, 2018
In my time at CML, I witnessed the organization phase out actual librarian positions while increasing the number of middle management; these middle managers were basically selected by their ability to schmooze their bosses while delegating as much of their work as possible to those beneath them. Competency and customer service were the marching orders handed down from on high, meanwhile the people who were gifted advancements in their careers were often the ones doing the least. I had been delegated so much in the way of my bosses work, that when I left for greener pastures, they had to create a new position and offer a higher rate than what they were willing to compensate me at.
Six months after I left, those managers were encouraged to find employment elsewhere. They were replaced by a manager that only stayed for two years.
Pros
Helping the general public
Cons
Cut throat management, corporate middle management environment
great place to work
SUMMER READING PROGRAM HELPER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 28, 2018
When I volunteered to work here for the reading program, it really helped me to learn to adapt to a new environment and I enjoyed working with the children and staff. The library is a great place to work.
I love the Columbus Metropolitan Library system and what it does for our communities.
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 23, 2018
I spent 33 years of my life working for The Columbus Metropolitan Library. I loved working there and loved my co-workers. The benefits are great and the working environment was beautiful. The work culture could use some improvement in regards to established long-time employees.
Pros
Great purpose (libraries), great pay and benefits, beautiful working environment with wonderful co-workers.
Cons
At the end of my career I noticed a more restrictive work place for example, if you had been there for too many years, it seemed you were set aside and not included or valued regarding processes, special teams etc.
A brief description on volunteer time
Volunteer Circulation Aide (Former Employee) –  3909 N. High St Columbus,OH 43214August 17, 2018
Volunteering at the Whetstone branch of Columbus Metropolitan Library was an enlightening experience. I learned many new forms of literature in a short time span.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Collection Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 7, 2018
Provides good work environment. Multiple locations around Columbus to choose from. The salary is good with regular merit increases and cost of living adjustments.
Pros
Multiple locations
Cons
Not enough full time job opportunities
Great Company to work for
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 17, 2018
Excellent benefits, caring culture and great work/life balance. Excellent programs for the community and works hard to give poverty level citizens programs needed to succeed in education.
Benefits
Cons
Directors micro manage their people
Great work environment, great staff
Library Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHApril 5, 2018
Management is awesome, everyone makes you feel valued and like you are part of the team. The staff are welcoming and everyone works as though they are part of one big family. Lots of options for advancement and a great job for college students
I love it here!
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2018
I have worked at the library for almost 17 years. It has been very wonderful. Your coworkers really care about you and so do the managers. It's like family. It is an easy going job, yet fast paced. The managers are always open to suggestions to improve your work atmosphere. Great place to work!
Pros
Great pto long-term
Cons
Insurance for part time is expensive
Great place to work.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2018
If you are interested in a good beginning job or advancement in the public library sector, this is a great job. However, advancement also often involves having an MLIS, which is a niche degree.
Stressful library
Administrative Staff (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 10, 2018
For such a tame industry, this library excels at stressful work. Understaffed branches, overworked staff, top-heavy with managers,, and more than enough funding to keep them running inefficiently. The library is able to function in spite of itself. Good place to start, if you are a librarian. Horrible place to work, if you are on the administrative side. I enjoy the people I worked with, but the morale was low and executive management just rationalized it away. Too many other employers in the Columbus market to waste your time working here.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Clueless executive management
Horrible supervisors who lie
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 12, 2017
Was a joke from the get go. Supervisors are trash, will lie to your face. Don't recommend this place to anyone. Go to wakenhut they will treat you better.
Pros
None outweighed by cons
Cons
Very nice and it was easy to get things done
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 31, 2017
It was nice working at the library because it gave me something to do over the summer. All of the other employees and volunteers were very easy to talk to and that's what made things run smoothly.
see previous review
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2017
see previous review that was submitted for customer service specialist at Columbus metropolitan library in Columbus Ohio. One of the best libraries in the country