Columbus Metropolitan Library Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I love it here!
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2018
I have worked at the library for almost 17 years. It has been very wonderful. Your coworkers really care about you and so do the managers. It's like family. It is an easy going job, yet fast paced. The managers are always open to suggestions to improve your work atmosphere. Great place to work!
Pros
Great pto long-term
Cons
Insurance for part time is expensive
Great place to work.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2018
If you are interested in a good beginning job or advancement in the public library sector, this is a great job. However, advancement also often involves having an MLIS, which is a niche degree.
Stressful library
Administrative Staff (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 10, 2018
For such a tame industry, this library excels at stressful work. Understaffed branches, overworked staff, top-heavy with managers,, and more than enough funding to keep them running inefficiently. The library is able to function in spite of itself. Good place to start, if you are a librarian. Horrible place to work, if you are on the administrative side. I enjoy the people I worked with, but the morale was low and executive management just rationalized it away. Too many other employers in the Columbus market to waste your time working here.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Clueless executive management
Horrible supervisors who lie
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 12, 2017
Was a joke from the get go. Supervisors are trash, will lie to your face. Don't recommend this place to anyone. Go to wakenhut they will treat you better.
Pros
None outweighed by cons
Cons
Very nice and it was easy to get things done
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 31, 2017
It was nice working at the library because it gave me something to do over the summer. All of the other employees and volunteers were very easy to talk to and that's what made things run smoothly.
see previous review
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2017
see previous review that was submitted for customer service specialist at Columbus metropolitan library in Columbus Ohio. One of the best libraries in the country
A tough place to work
Customer Service Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 1, 2017
CML was once a vibrant place to come to every day, but unfortunately the culture has changed so drastically that it is hard to find satisfaction on any given day. There is a top-down management approach which makes it difficult to feel like you can express your opinions. They also make it terrible difficult to find professional advancement if you are not a manager.
nice
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 27, 2017
The day starts with finding a work station and logging into the current job/survey that is being conducted. The dialer calls numbers at random and you try to convince them to conduct a short survey with you.
Fun and Productive
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2017
Mutual respect makes it possible for everyone to enjoy library materials and services. You can help by refraining from behavior that interferes with the rights of others and the duties of the library staff.
Fun Job
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 5, 2017
This was an internship, so I did not get paid. I loved this internship a lot and I wish stayed a little longer. It was low stress environment. I got to help costumers find what they were looking for. Checked in materials that were returned. Shelve and alphabetize the materials. answer questions for costumers to best of my knowledge.
Executive Assistant to the CTO (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 19, 2017
My day is different every day, which makes it challenging and rewarding. The culture is one of diversity and inclusion, the same as the public being served.
Fun, lots of interaction with public.
Youth Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 30, 2016
Great place to work, Emphasis on customer service and providing excellent experiences for our customers. Room for advancement and great benefits after 20+ hours.
Fufillling, but leaves much to be desired
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2016
Frequent changes in management and management style leaves some employees experiencing drastic changes to their jobs and frequently. The atmosphere is good, but I've watched morale deteriorate in recent months. I also don't feel like I can ascend from my position.
Pros
Fufilling, sometimes fun
Cons
can't climb the ladder, morale is quickly deteriorating
Rewarding but beuracratic.
Library Assistant, Help / Research Desk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2016
On a typical day I would get in and immediately man the information desk.
After a few hours of working on information resources, I would come off the desk and work on programming.
Occasionally I taught basic computer skills classes to patrons who had signed up.
Finally, I helped with stock control of books on the shelves.

My co workers were all bright and interested in people and books, as was I

The hardest part of the job was that the library system was chronically understaffed and did not do a very good job of allocating its personnel resources.
Because of this, educated professionals found themselves with schedules much like department store clerks, days here, evenings there, weekend thrown in from time to time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping patrons with research.
Pros
Working around curious and interested patrons and coworkers every day.
Cons
Working managers who were unable to be flexable in their scheduling, and whose bosses were inflexible in scheduling them.
Fake Perfect Job
Youth Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHAugust 12, 2016
It might seem like a great job during the interview but don't let them trick you. There are no benefits for part-time employees, just tacky.The management is passive aggressive and they'll whisper about you behind your back. The library requires people to go to meetings every month and holiday gatherings, even if you don't celebrate. It's very disrespectful and time consuming. What's even worse is this job only has 10 call off days A YEAR! I was fired because I missed work for a family member's funeral although I told my supervisor about it days before. These people are heartless and only care about making the company money. I don't think the entire metropolitan library is terrible (except the benefits, pay, and number of call offs) but the Southeast branch definitely needs management work. I would love to work at the metropolitan library again if they change their ways and raise their standards with management.
Pros
Fines erased from library cards
Cons
Everything but library card benefits and the customers
Great to work for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2016
Great organization to work for. Need degree for advancement, especially Library Science Degree. Excellent benefits when I worked there. Evolving technology. Can be physically demanding based on job.
Pros
Good benifits, enjoy interactions with public.
Cons
Need degrees for advancement.
Great People
Library Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2016
Always working to build better team chemistry, relaxed people to work with, even though some of the patrons of the library are a little stressful to deal with, and they are always thinking of ways to make the customer experience better
Pros
decent breaks, no uniform, great benefits
Cons
customers can be a little much at times
Great place!
it (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2015
What a great place to work! Wonderful mission, vision, and contribution to society.

CML provides great technology and services to the public and genuinely cares about what they do.
Fun workplace
Youth Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
CML is a great company to work for. They strive in excellence and create a great work environment. They care about their employees and their customers. it truly is about being open to all.
Productive workplace with strong values.
Technical Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2015
The Columbus Metropolitan Library is consistently upholding the core values of the employees and management that are expected from the community served. The organization offers an generous benefits package for its full-time staff.