Columbus Public Schools Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Excellent Work Environment
Substitute Teacher K-12/Vocational (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43215November 29, 2017
This was one of the first places I worked at that had a diverse culture and treated people with respect. Co-workers were great, so was Administration.
Pros
Cons
Substitutes need higher pay
Latchkey was fun!
Latchkey Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 17, 2017
I worked in their before and after care programs and enjoyed it. The office staff was supportive and the kids were mostly well behaved and respectful.
Instrumental Music Instructor
Instrumental Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 13, 2017
Responsible for the instrumental education for 2 elementary schools and 1 middle school. Students were expected to perform for the community 2-3 times per school year.
Pros
student diversity at multiple levels
Cons
removal of music program from curriculum
Excellent pay and benefits package
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarbrough Bethel Morse road Fort HaysJuly 26, 2017
This was a thankless job if it wasn't for the excellent pay and benefits I would've never stayed.I will say the other employees and supervisors are excellent and fun .
Pros
Pay and benefit package
Cons
Dangerous there is no protection from students or parents
Substitute teaching is the hardest job I have ever had
Licensed Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 5, 2017
I was substitute teacher K through 12th grades for Columbus City Schools. The job varied from day to day, and it was hard to make a difference, but the few students I reached made it worthwhile.
Pros
A few of the students actually value their education
Cons
there are no benefits and the pay is very low
Good working environment
Substitute Assistant Sp (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 29, 2017
Working with the public schools, especially in the area of special education, can be difficult due to all the requirements placed by the state. However, the children are a constant delight.
school
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2017
I enjoyed working at the different schools. very laid back environment. everyone was always very helpful. I never had a bad experience. If it would have been regular work I would have stayed.
Teachers Assistance (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2017
They are flexible and work well with new employees. I enjoyed my time there and would suggest this as a good opportunity. The pay was good and the benefits were great.
Awesome
Instructional Assistant/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 26, 2017
This company worked very hard at making sure that the customer left a happy customer. The training's were helpful to ensure that the employee could be successful there in the office.
The disparity is overwhelming
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 21, 2017
I experienced guilt when working with Columbus public city schools. In order to feel safe I had to choose the neighborhood I was willing to work. It made me feel terrible that children are forced to be in neighborhoods that were not equal to schools placed in other neighborhoods and the equipment was dispersed so unequally.
Typical work day
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 21, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with kids I love working with children. I also love driving the school bus. I learned alot about how to deal with conflict as well as how to handle language barriers. There many days that I may find myself helping out with other routes due to the absence of another employee which is ok sometimes, however if it becomes a consistent issue to where I can't drive my own route because I'm driving someone else's that makes it hard. I say that because my children need stability. Management has changed a lot since I started. Management could handle many things differently, however they are certainly not the worst company I've worked for.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
Many Management decisions
fun workout
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 13, 2016
What I learn is patience is very important as a positive attitude. And working as a team is more effective. Meeting new people was a plus and being able to teach different subject matter.
Pros
helping students learn in a healthy environment
Cons
not enough pay
very insightful and pleasant programs to work with.
Parent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 6, 2016
the reason i rated the columbus public schools and 4 was because of the hard work and the strenuous efforts that go into planning, and developing curriculum, after curriculum, so no child will be left behind, however what seems to be missing, is training students to learn how to learn, how to get the sense of what their being taught, and this would require the parents getting involve with the education process at home, the children i raised new how read and comprehen what they've read, before entering school, this is a huge part of teaching children to learn how to learn, and that way, they';re minds can adapt to challenges, in problem solving, critical thinking, and the like. that's what and where the ball is heavy at. but once we've gotten over that hugh bump, our children will be among the best in the world again,
Pros
sportsmanship in all things/enjoying school
Cons
less negativiety and more versility
Fun and prductive work environment where you work with a diverse professional group of people
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 10, 2016
Fun and productive environment. Was able to interact with all the clients and workers in a positive way. The administrators are friendly and fair. Had a great culture and expectation for learning.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
low pay
productive and fun
Instructional Aide - Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  columbus ohMay 13, 2016
A job is what you make it your path is what you take if it works for you then that is great. If you like it I love it. Obtain all the information you can. Always be excellent and then your will be your best. Never settle for less. what happens for one does not mean it is going to happen for you. set your goal high in your employment here will be fine.
Pros
benifits compensations security
Cons
contracts advancement loyalty
School district that works hard to ensure students's needs are met
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2016
Columbus City School works hard to ensure all students' needs are met. The teachers and administrators are top notch. There are a lot of services that this public school provides to the students and the guardians/parents.
Why Columbus Public Schools is a good place to work
Custodian II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 3, 2015
Good place to work students, teachers and staff are great people to work with. Opportunity to grow and learn skills about the importance of the up keep bf buildings and facilities.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
shift subject to change
Unsatisfactory
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 27, 2015
CCS is a public entity that relies on public and federal funding and they would pass students along and not require excellence from their students.
Pros
Education for students
Cons
Poor leadership
Enjoy creating a safe learning enviroment that meets each childs needs.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus,OhioJuly 8, 2015
The students are a joy and a blessing to be with. Working with children is my life and its so rewarding to see them blossom each day.
Columbus has a great school system
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 12, 2015
Many of the schools have a great staff. Its very rewarding being a teacher.As a substitute the great part is traveling from different school and meeting new students.