Columbus Zoo & Aquarium Employee Reviews

Always busy, poorly managed, poorly run. Terrible clientele
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2019
While nothing unusual for an entry-level job, I was always disappointed with how things were handled in the workplace. Once again, I dreaded my next shifts, but was often given many more hours than I had intended to take, and shifts were not flexible.
Pros
decent paycheck
Cons
Poor management
temp job at the zoo
Food and beverage Customer service (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 28, 2018
I worked in the food court. I I enjoyed being able to see the sites as well. I liked to see all of the kids be all excited over the animals. I really enjoyed seeing heir excitement
Poor Managment and Communication
Auntie Anne's Employee (Former Employee) –  Auntie Anne’sNovember 18, 2018
I was very disappointed with the management and communication. I was constantly in the dark about what I should be doing and how things should be handled. I only received 15 minutes of on the job training and was then thrown into things without help. I think the animal care side may be better, but I can never recommend working in food and beverage at the zoo. It was a very stressful and frustrating experience that I would hate to put anyone through.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Often got no breaks, poor management, lacking communication, next to no training
Entry level
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2018
It was great for high school/ college workers. Flexible hours. Sometimes we were forced to work outside in hot or cold conditions. Management was efficient and competent
Pros
Felixible hours
Cons
low pay
Intresting place to work
Ice Cream Server (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 18, 2018
I had a lot of fun working there, great people and great work environment. The work hours are a bit unreliable and varied. You have the option of working in different areas jn your region until you find a spot you like.
Pros
Employee discount, limited free tickets, animals
Cons
No benefits, for me a long drive
Fun work environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHSeptember 6, 2018
Nice work environment that gave me some insight into the working world. Working at the zoo was the first job that I held & I really enjoyed working there.
Cons
seasonal work
fun
Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 30, 2018
The job was fun when it was during the school year of anything other than zoo lights because you spent most of your job outside in the cold. And youll be moving non stop.
Pros
people
Cons
management
Everyone knows how to make each guests day GREAT!
Guest Relations (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 20, 2018
"Make it great" is the Columbus Zoos work slogan we have many ways to honor employees who demonstrate actions to make a guests day great! That is my favorite part about working here!
Unorganized
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 20, 2018
Over hired and got given any fair hours.I would get sent home after only an hour.My manager was awful when it came to schedule.She messed up my schedule almost everytime so I ended up always arriving at the wrong time
love working at the zoo
Gift Shop Retail Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Hillard, ohAugust 14, 2018
I loved working at the zoo. the staff and managers are amazing and kind. Working at the different gift shops in the zoo was so much fun. the discounts you would get were pretty nice.
Pros
staff, money, discounts and customers
Cons
i wish it wasn't seasonal
Awesome first job
Ride Operator (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJuly 25, 2018
Everyone was very nice and helpful, the hours were long and the guests became a wonderful part of my day. The managers are wonderful and it was an overall great experience and a perfect first job.
Amazing place to work
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJuly 21, 2018
It was great to work there, I was in the membership office and loved it. Had conflicting issues at home with a special needs child so I had to leave my job.
The environment was laid back even when it was really busy.
Working at this time however was probably the best job I've ever had. There's so many neat things about it I can't describe them all. From the zoo itself to zoombezi bay.
Pros
Discounted and free admission, animals, amusement
Cons
Great place as long as you work for a decent manager.
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJuly 18, 2018
I enjoyed working here, except when upper management brought in a new supervisor that had no experience working at the zoo. She had a horrible attitude and was very difficult to work with and we lost many employees because of her.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no free lunch, no benefits
My first Job and seasonal
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJuly 4, 2018
The Columbus zoo was a great experience. It gave me great people skills. They worked great with their employees. I learned how to prep food and learned about animals.
Pros
get to learn and meet new people.
Cons
seasonal
Layed back but busy
Custodial (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJune 18, 2018
A typical day at work at the zoo was often hard working and keeping busy but there was never a day I didn't feel laid back and enjoy my time with the other custodial workers. I worked a 3rd shift 8 to 6 and there weren't to many of us ,which often made things peaceful and non conflicted. Hours were never a problem for this shift therefore it were one of my favorites.Our daily duties consisted of detail cleaning the zoo grounds and bathrooms.Which included toilets,sinks, floors and more. It sounds like a messy job but it was simple and to the point. Management was great as well,they would treat you as an individual and often allowed us to split up and work in our own sections which was great for those a little less sociable or worked at a different pace.The hardest part of the job id say would have to be only if someone called off and we were low on staff other then that it tend to be quite simple.
ehhh
Admissions Team Member (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJune 5, 2018
working at the zoo was hard. you either started in the middle of the day or in the morning. you would clock in and go get your assignments for the day. working in retail you are not allowed to sit down, and you had to be constantly moving. if you were on a cart you could get away with sitting on the cooler but otherwise no. overall it was just an ehhh job.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
guest relations zoombezi bay was alright.
Guest Relations Department (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2018
Working there was fine, but the tasks are very monotonous, and mindless. You either scanned tickets or used a clicker to count how many people went on a waterslide. I went crazy.
Pros
free tickets to waterpark
Cons
inconsistent hours
Fast paced, stressful and on your toes
Event Planner and Character Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 15, 2018
This position required me to be on top of each event that the zoo was holding. Specifically, I had to be ready with booths, activities, and events for guests to enjoy when they came in.
Pros
Experience, my own time, good employer
Great work environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 14, 2018
The work environment at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is great for a high school kid looking for some spending money while in school and is great for a college student to work at over the summer or in between breaks throughout the school year.
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Ohio - Guest Relations/ Guest Engagement (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 14, 2018
Working at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium was a great experience. All of the employees were helpful, hardworking, and friendly. The workplace environment was nice, and I felt my skills in customer service grew while there.
Pros
discounts on food and apparel
Cons
It was difficult to find parking