Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Employee Reviews

fun
Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 30, 2018
The job was fun when it was during the school year of anything other than zoo lights because you spent most of your job outside in the cold. And youll be moving non stop.
Pros
people
Cons
management
Everyone knows how to make each guests day GREAT!
Guest Relations (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 20, 2018
"Make it great" is the Columbus Zoos work slogan we have many ways to honor employees who demonstrate actions to make a guests day great! That is my favorite part about working here!
Layed back but busy
Custodial (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJune 18, 2018
A typical day at work at the zoo was often hard working and keeping busy but there was never a day I didn't feel laid back and enjoy my time with the other custodial workers. I worked a 3rd shift 8 to 6 and there weren't to many of us ,which often made things peaceful and non conflicted. Hours were never a problem for this shift therefore it were one of my favorites.Our daily duties consisted of detail cleaning the zoo grounds and bathrooms.Which included toilets,sinks, floors and more. It sounds like a messy job but it was simple and to the point. Management was great as well,they would treat you as an individual and often allowed us to split up and work in our own sections which was great for those a little less sociable or worked at a different pace.The hardest part of the job id say would have to be only if someone called off and we were low on staff other then that it tend to be quite simple.
Fast paced, stressful and on your toes
Event Planner and Character Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 15, 2018
This position required me to be on top of each event that the zoo was holding. Specifically, I had to be ready with booths, activities, and events for guests to enjoy when they came in.
Pros
Experience, my own time, good employer
Great work environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 14, 2018
The work environment at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is great for a high school kid looking for some spending money while in school and is great for a college student to work at over the summer or in between breaks throughout the school year.
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Ohio - Guest Relations/ Guest Engagement (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 14, 2018
Working at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium was a great experience. All of the employees were helpful, hardworking, and friendly. The workplace environment was nice, and I felt my skills in customer service grew while there.
Pros
discounts on food and apparel
Cons
It was difficult to find parking
Fun Summer Job
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHMay 8, 2018
Working here for three summers was the best decision I ever made. There are lots of opportunities to get hours, annual raises, and lots of team work. I enjoyed working with all of my team members to create a strong team connection.
Great Summer Position!
Interpretive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHMarch 18, 2018
I really enjoyed working at the Columbus Zoo! I got to answer questions and tell others about the animals as an Interpretive Assistant. I was able to feed the giraffes, work Touch Pool, monitor the manatee cove, feed the lorikeets, and hang out with the kangaroos. This was a really fun job and I learned so much about zoo management!
Fast paced with many people
Cashier/Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJanuary 25, 2018
I honestly liked working at the Columbus zoo and aquarium. The only problem was how we would always be slammed and the workers always seemed to be gone and not be found until it died down.
Pros
discounts on food, employee discount
Cons
short breaks
Very flexible, lots of friendly people
Guest Relations (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHJanuary 22, 2018
There is no typical day, some days are very slow, some are very busy. Most days are somewhere in between. There are many wonderful people who work there, many are accomplished in other careers, but love working at the zoo but work part time for various reasons.

The opportunity is always there to learn about animals and conservation. There are monthly contests to encourage you to learn more.

The hardest part of the job is having patrons who don't understand the rules or decided you are being unfair to them because they don't have a good understanding of zoo pricing or policies.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet, and getting to work somewhere where most people coming in are very happy.
Pros
Very flexible hours, get to work where poeple are having fun.
Cons
Can be cold, depending on assignment
Super friendly and flexible
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHJanuary 13, 2018
Best job I’ve had thus far. It helped me become more confident around people and learn responsibility. Its a very good highschool and college job. You can work your way up as well into management
A great and welcoming place to work
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHJanuary 10, 2018
I personally liked the day shift better than the night shift because they are longer hours and there is a lot of action that happens during the day compared to the night. The most enjoyed part was the people, managers, customers, the discounts, and the animals that always make each day exciting.
Pros
discounts, lunch breaks, given uniforms and ids
Cons
some managers
fun fast pace at times work enviroment.
Grounds Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHJanuary 2, 2018
A typical day involved cleaning entire zoo grounds in the morning and then setting up chairs and tables in the afternoon for partys,weddings,concerts,and all types of social events.
Pros
great people to work for and with.
Cons
low wages, no room for advancement.
fun place to work
Camp-in Counselor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 27, 2017
great place to work for a little extra cash. If you love working with people and animals this is an option for you. most positions are temporary/seasonal so if you need full time/benefits look else where
Pros
discounts and you get to spend time at the zoo
Cons
low pay and hard to get full time positions
This is a great job if you are looking or something to earn extra money.
Rides Team Member/ Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 20, 2017
Working at the Columbus zoo is most of the time fun and relaxed. although when you get to the summer time and or holidays it can be quite the opposite.
Pros
discounts on food and free admission with you plus one other.
Cons
no insurance unless you get a full time position.
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer/Docent at the Columbus Zoo (Former Employee) –  Powell, OH 43065December 16, 2017
This was a volunteer position..Working with and educating the public on zoo animals and conservation messages was very rewarding. I loved learning something new everyday about animals and various guests at the Columbus Zoo.
Pros
Great environment
Productive and friendly workplace
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 3, 2017
Management of daily cash register revenue accounting. Directed park stand opening and closing. Various daily tasks included cooking, cleaning, serving and organization.
Pros
Discounts and free entry into zoo and water park
Great for Part time job or if you are a student
Security Ranger (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 10, 2017
As a security ranger, you are expected to work every weekend. Fun place to work. You get to meet a lot of people. If you like to walk, this is a great job, you will spend most of your day walking. Leadership is weak, poorly managed department. Low stress. Culture is great, most everyone is friendly and happy to be working at the zoo. I didn't learn much as I was hardly challenged. Ive tried seeking additional responsibilities and there is not much extra for me to do. For the amount of work you have to do, the pay is very fair. Don't expect to do much other than respond to calls from dispatch.
Pros
exciting place to work. low stress. lots of freedom to roam zoo grounds
Cons
always work weekends, little to no room for advancement. Poor leadership.
Good
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 27, 2017
Lots of hours, most coworkers are nice to work with. Sometimes there are angry parents, which is the hardest part. Angry parents will yell at you and can at times be very rude. Many jobs are outside and bringing a water bottle is a must.
Pros
Discounts
Best career I ever had
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Powell, OHAugust 10, 2017
Friendly staff, clean working environment. Employees are offered free entry to the park, discounted food and drinks and discounted merchandise. They were willing to work with my schedule.
Pros
Free zoo passe, Discounts
Cons
Busy, little to no breaks