Comerica Bank Employee Reviews

its a job in banking
Credit Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2018
if you want to be in the bank industry this is a choice but dont expect advancement unless you are willing to brownnose to management like most people do

Pay is bad unless you're senior management, jump between analyst 1 and 2 in credit is about 10% (5k). Miserable work environment with colleagues at very low morale level, management is lost in how to keep people due to a multi-decade revolving door of people leaving. Too many new college grads and no experienced credit people really adds burden.
Pros
Bank holidays
Cons
see review
great place to work
Flood Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 13, 2018
Great job security and mentorship. Fast paced environment and friendly people. Tuition reimbursement which is very beneficial and a great help for career advancement.
Pros
job security
Cons
over worked at times
Great career pathway
Assistant Banking Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 11, 2018
Longevity and security. Has been with Comerica for 20+ years and have enjoyed my stay. This company will recognize those who have made commitments and excel in performance. Great place to work and start your career if you are interested in financial banking.
Small
AVP/ Banking Center Manger/ BBO Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 11, 2018
Tough place to lend. Too conservative policies. Locations are all in strip malls which are challenged by homeless population. Just cut a bunch of locations all over CA.
A Bank trying to find itself in the industry
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 9, 2018
The best comparison for this bank would be working for a small credit union that offers services but fails in execution.

The credit analyst program basically provides for Going from a Credit Analyst 1 to a CA 2 within 12 months based on the program's structure. So on the basis of time alone it is very easy to get promoted within the year. Most do it in 9 months. And if you check the paths of those who start at the bank most are gone in under 1.5 years because opportunities are absent. Going from one small hourly wage to another is not a motivator and especially when the bank itself is lost in direction.

Credit Analysts (including in Middle market and the specialty lines like Dealer) are paid by the hour at rates that are on par with regional peers. But training is beyond awful and near absent, from people who are very cushy where they sit.

Credit quality is a mute point since the couple people running the committees ask for things to be done how they like even if it is contrary to evaluating credit. It is a good boys' club.

For those who have said advancement is there and the culture is good, really hard to see that. Revolving door of people leaving and only ever getting anything when you threaten to leave but it's too late by then.
Pros
1 type of coffee pod still offered (breakfast blend)
Cons
Pay is by the hour and a TIMECARD for credit analysts that needs approval. Embarassing
I enjoyed working here good benefits and vacation time . Things seem t be going down hill
Sr. Software Developer - Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 8, 2018
Nice company but unstable due to layoffs. Bad raises . Small to no bonuses. Good vacation, paid holidays . Buy too many vendor packages . Too much stuff getting outsource to india
Pros
Flex work, working from home
Cons
Raises and compensation
Conservative Company with Great Opportunities
Lending Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 7, 2018
A great company to work for with unlimited room for advancement. Benefits are standard. Salary is very comparable to other financial institutions. Comerica also have excellent volunteering and community activities.
Disappointing
Senior Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJune 4, 2018
Knee-jerk reactionary. Over hire, then mass fire.

Managers more concerned with titles and CYA maneuvering than in doing what's best for the company & customers.
Pros
Cafeteria has great view of woods and pond.
Assiting customer with there needs.
Teller, Safe (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
Waiting on customer of all diversity, enjoy assist people with there needs. The hardest part is not being about to meet the sales goal's. I enjoy waking up to have a job to come to.
Pros
Bounes checks for the quarter
Cons
It is triffice going and coming.
It was a great job I miss it alot
Accounts Receivable Clerk II Lock box Processor (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAJune 1, 2018
All clerical work opening mail and distribute mail. Make sure of depositing all the checks to the correct customer. We had a various accounts that had a large amount of checks for us to process for deposit. These was done by scanning the checks on a big machine. then process receives for customers by mail. Also answering calls and helping other employees.
Pros
free lunches on fridays
Cons
I had to work Saturdays
(May not be relevant) Sales goals were steep
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 30, 2018
Take this review with a grain of salt because I worked there from 2012-2013, so I'm sure things have changed. I worked in a stand-alone, retail-banking location in Dallas. We focused primarily on opening credit and HELOC accounts. Back then, sales goals seemed steep and I frequently found myself cold calling a list of clients I had never met. In the end, there were many questionable sales tactics I observed (and took part in) and ultimately quit because I was tired of pushing products on people that I knew they didn't need or, in many cases, couldn't afford.
Daily work enviroment
Retail Personal Banker II (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 28, 2018
My daily work day functions consist of daily goals and, commentates. I 've learned that setting goals in the environment benefits to success in the position. I have a very hands on Manager that leads by example. The work environment at times can be stressful but, overall enjoyable. I find that the expectations on Sales has been challenging at times. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is assisting my customers and providing excellent Customer Service.
Pros
Half days working Saturdays
Cons
Incentive
Stressful
Teller (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXMay 28, 2018
Poor management always Moody schedules not made until maybe the day before you get your schedule day by day had to make outbound calls like a telemarketer to sell vacation only approved it management is not taking it also two sided as far as one can get approved but the other one can't not fair
Sad to watch
Credit Pool (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2018
If you like: laid back if-it-gets-done approach, lack of direction, micromanagement from your group's MCU, pay that is well below what peers pay (though this is because the caliber of worker is much different at peers), constant calls to pre-call the upcoming calls, meetings to verbalize every minute detail of what you've worked on, credit managers that have coasted by for such a long time and never been called out, and no room for growth - this is the place.

If you don't like this kind of mediocre workplace then it will be a tough pill to swallow. Since joining and slowly watching as the bank started its decline, everything was contrived and always scripted. MCUs (looking to Houston mainly) started to promote very recently on the basis of some credit departures. Hence let's promote to save any remaining people we have view.......along with a system rewarding those who have been given handouts simply because "they were there" when the bank needed headcount and thought it would be easier.

Deeply sad.
Pros
National presence
Cons
Remainder of most important things like pay, peers, colleague quality
Stressful and draining
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2018
The workplace culture here is very stressful, MESSY, and draining! If you aren't best friends with the "Who's who" of the company then get ready for drama and forget about advancing. The most enjoyable part of the job are the clients and the set schedule along with Holidays off.. I learned how cut throat Corporate world can be from working here .
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Upper management
Comerica Bank
Assistant Bank Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelby Twp, MIMay 21, 2018
Comerica was a great company to work for. The company culture and employees were positive. It was a great place to learn and grow. The hardest part of the job was customer service but it was an opportunity to cross sell products. I would recommend working there to anyone.
Very diverse department
Exec Assistant-Intl Finance Credit Administration (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48226May 20, 2018
The International department was a very diverse group of people and I learned about the different cultures. They depended on me to keep the area running smoothly.
working together as one to get the job done.
Mortgage Warehouse Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 20, 2018
Very busy and you learn what role your job play to get the job done. At the end of the day pull together and was able to laugh and pick a day to change the environment for fun.
banking
Branch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 19, 2018
Safe deposit custodian, greeter, filing paperwork, organizing files. Processing transactions for tellers to ensure transactions were balanced. creating a balance sheet and collecting & packaging all transactions to go to headquarters. moved up to Teller/CSR , processed transactions for customers, individual & businesses. informed customers of available products the bank had to offer.
Pros
yearly reviews
Cons
small increase & downsizing
Business Development
Officer Wealth & Institutional Management (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIMay 14, 2018
In my position I traveled and cultivated new business which added to the portfolio. I have many long lasting relationships and collaborated with businesses to support their initiatives. I had a financial reporting responsibility which was about 50% of my position with the remainder in cultivating new business.
Pros
Full Cycle Sales and Business Development
Cons
A growing portfolio that required added support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Comerica Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

66out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Comerica Bank.