Comerica Bank Culture reviews

Kind of a drag
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 15, 2019
The atmosphere is very sales oriented, but with a lot of typical bank double-speak. We’re not selling, we’re having “quality conversations” and we’re intended to have a lot of them.
The technology used here is impressively bad, running a lot of business functions on DOS systems from (no joke) the 1980’s.
Having worked for multiple financial institutions, I can assert that while the pay is pretty good, the culture and technology here really bring the experience down.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Culture, Technology
Enjoyed my time working at Comerica
Assistant Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2019
I would still be working there had I not been laid off due to budget cuts. Comerica was good company to work for however many days were stressful due do the aggressive sales culture.
Good company
Vice President, Construction Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 1, 2019
Very nice culture, outstanding management. I have no complaints and would have worked their for the rest of my career had the economy allowed me the opportunity.
Not competitive
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2019
Comerica tried to tell its employees that they are a regional bank and doesn’t want to be like the bigger banks like Chase, Bank of America and WellsFargo. The problem is that they price every product according to those banks and don’t have the convenience or technology to be competitive.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Micromanaged to the extreme
Steady work, little time for breaks or lunch, lots of meetings
PROJECT/PROCESS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIFebruary 18, 2019
Lots of good programs in place, great diversity and community volunteer culture. Very conservative environment.

Typical day is 2-5 meetings, little time to get tasks completed. Must complete them during lunch, after hours, weekends. There are required annual courses to take.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off
Cons
Limited break time, including lunch, lots or meetings and extra hours
Healthcare is the only thing good at Comerica !
Lockbox Processor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2019
Just like all the other reviews coming out of Comerica if your not one of the favorites to management you are never going to see a promotion or a decent raise. The culture at the service center in Dallas is one that could make you wake up in the morning and call in. The employees in the Lockbox department don't work together as a team. Their racist and management plays right along with them to get along even though they see stuff happening right in front of them. H.R. is a joke. They blame YOU if you file a complaint against someone who is causing problems, The supervisors gossip constantly about their employees and tell their favorites confidential information. No training they expect you to sit there and learn on your own and make mistakes and then charge you with errors that go against you. The favorites make errors and were told it's just a learning curve. No work life balance. You can never get off a day when you need it because the calendar is filled up a year in advance. If you have the flu with a doctors note, you will get written up for those days you call in sick. A doctors note is not recognized at Comerica. Stay away from this place. Not worth the stress.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
top-down culture, and staff reductions
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJanuary 17, 2019
The worst part of the job is the top-down culture. Fundamentally, leadership tends not to listen to the knowledge workers, which impedes the effectiveness of the organization.

Benefits package is quite good. Senior level folks get a nice amount of PTO, though there is an end of year use-it-or-lose it. 401k with company match, health insurance through BCBSM.

Staff reductions have been occurring for a couple of years. Headcount is decreased, workload stays the same.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
top-down culture, and ongoing staff reductions
Strong bank culture
Private Banker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Comerica has a strong bank culture but many practices that are not in the client's best interest for a wealth management firm. There are not enough dedicated resources for private bank clients. Most importantly, they do not bring licenses over for their private bankers.
Ideal work place environment
Sr. V.P.-Sr. Financial Consultant/Investments (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Management encourages Team involvement at every level. Very supportive of new hires in terms of inclusion in meetings and open to hearing new ideas. Constructive criticism present in both directions was very positive for entire team.
Good place to work but could need consistent training
Bilingual Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 18, 2018
Good place to work , good workplace culture. Comerica was a great company to learn banking and provided great opportunities. Management and agents need better training or consistent refreshers.
Provides good stable banking for the commnity
Assistant Manager II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 13, 2018
A typical work day was busy depending on the amount of customers and the magnitude of their requests. Most management decision were made with group input. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers with their needs. The hardest part of the job was the challenge for robberies at any time.
Pros
Good Compensation for Monthly Goals being met.
Cons
No consideration for economic changes that affecting reaching monthly goals.
Lack of Manager's support
Lead Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2018
Lack of support from managers to grow or advance in career, even when you have great potentials and qualifications.

The work environment is slow paced and I love the culture of the bank which is based on Customers' satisfaction and excellence service delivery.
Loan competiton
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CANovember 30, 2018
Great company to work for but the loan rates were not competitive as other Califonia Banks. Friendly branch employees and staff. You can create your own hours as long as you met your loan goals.
Conservative Culture / Evolving Leadership
Professional (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 20, 2018
Comerica top leadership are well paid, yet unfortunately under estimated the need to stay technically competitive and innovative - the company is urgently and aggressively taking steps to catch-up with its peer banks, yet this 'sprint' to catch up is having a negative human impact. Benefits are very good (health, dental, 401k, vacation, etc.), and people tend to be very friendly. The culture is conservative (somewhat old-fashioned) and is beginning to catch up with modern-time worker expectations. ...a common theme is the need to catch-up, which top-leadership are responsible for letting get behind. The opportunity for advancement and growth is average, being dependent upon turn-over, a persons career aspirations, the ability to bring value, and just being able to survive recent lay-offs. Overall, as an employee, I would give Comerica a score of 3.5 (5 being the best). Expecting the company is not absorbed by a M&A, and the economy stays strong, this should be a very good company to work for past 2019.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere; Benefits
Cons
Lagging culture; Inadequate technology capabilities
Great company
Retail Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CANovember 12, 2018
I had a wonderful manger, who was supportive of my growth and made me feel like a valued team member. Managers can make all the difference anywhere you work.
A great place to work for entry level to experienced positions.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MINovember 10, 2018
It was a great workplace with many opportunities for advancement. I was with the company for 18 years. My colleagues were very friendly and we work well as a team.
Comerica bank is a a company that will expanded your
Technical Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MINovember 1, 2018
Comerica bank was a good place to work I worked there part time thit was a secure environment. I learned that this bank worked on an old mainframe data base system. The culture was non verbal people really kept to themselves and worked alone with little communication.
The hardest part of working at comerica bank was driving and the long district and working part time. I enjoyed learning to work on the mainframe environment
Pros
The dress environment
Cons
My driving time was consume
Relaxed atmosphere
Operations clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 22, 2018
Enjoyable and nice place to work, knowledgeable, informative and challenging. A position in the brokerage department, co-workers were great, the interacting with other departments was pleasant.
I was well compensated, but had little time for outside of work.
Application Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 9, 2018
The culture at Comerica Bank has significantly changed as many of the tech jobs are being moved offshore and infrastructure moves to the cloud. I hired in as a part time employee and stayed for 25 years, most of which were good years.
Pros
good people
Cons
little work life balance
Good management/ Great benifits
Head teller/CSR/CSR trainer (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MISeptember 29, 2018
I worked as a teller in the beginning and the went to the call center.
Answered 150 calls for balances, order checks, copy of statement and fee questions. Promoted to Team Leader because of ability to perform at that level. I learned everything about being a teller, cashing checks, making deposits, doing cashier checks and many other operations. The Call Center had the best workplace culture. I worked with 3 Managers that were beyond terrific. They truly cared for everyone and always found time to talk to you, if you needed it.
The hardest part of the Team Leader job was taking escalated calls.The most enjoyable was working on a one to one basis training the representatives on how to refer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Comerica Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Comerica Bank.

Powered by Comparably