Commerce Bank Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you have an unbiased manager.
Lead Teller / Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Bolivar, MOOctober 29, 2018
My Group manager had a daughter that is friends with an employee. That employee got all the benefits that they could throw at her and often got preferential treatment. The job is fun and rewarding but ultimately if you don't know the right people your time is limited.

The company itself it great to work for and their benefits are amazing. The rewards you get for doing a great job are awesome too. This job is fast-paced and sales driven so it in more of a career than just a stepping stone job.
Pros
Great benefits and ample time off.
Cons
Management is not unbiased and fair.
Na
Loan Review Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 1, 2018
limited advancement opportunities mainly due to department management not adequately evaluating performance in a fair and equal manner

some managers are clueless about work employees actual do or do not do - you can't lead from a position of poor knowledge

lack of accountability for managers that are poor performers or have poor staff management skills

managers performance can be poor without repercussion but equivalent performance from employee is considered more serious infraction

on the job harassment of employees is not taken up by HR

limited professional training opportunities unless one works in revenue producing department/role
Pros
culture
Cons
limited advancement opportunities; managers clueless about work employees actual do or do not do
Work culture and employee development was fantastic!
Specialty Healthcare Account Manager II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 7, 2019
The work culture was amazing; they really believed in growing and developing their employees and created a great culture. Work was very family/life flexible and provided great opportunities to interact with executive level employees.
Great company to work for overall
Assistant Vice President - Account Executive III (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJanuary 2, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Commerce. I had consistent success in my role and and loved the people I worked with. If not for an opportunity for a next step in my career, I would still be there. I'd go back to the bank, given the right opportunity.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Being a bank, sometimes earning potential was capped on the lower side
Conservative culture
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 3, 2019
Wouldn't recommend. Poor communication between departments, many outdated technologies and practices, old style of management. below average pay, culture is changing but don't expect it to happen quickly because changes never do at the bank.
stable and pleasant work environment
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 1, 2018
bank teller and customer service representative. great with people. handled ATM and Vault every day. Cash counting. many other duties and clerical as well
Pros
breaks, vacations, sick days, 401k
Cons
management not good
Great Company
Vice President / National Accounts Executive (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2018
Wonderful culture at Commerce bank. I really enjoy management and the challenges I face every day. I would strongly recommend only the most dedicated professionals apply.
Great company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJSeptember 20, 2018
I worked here when it was Commerce Bank for nearly four years. The "WOW the Customer" culture was a great fit for me and I really enjoyed going to work. The leadership is very passionate about the company mission and is very nimble for a large company. The culture is not for everyone and has been compared to a cult. This may have changed since being acquired by TD Bank. I really enjoyed the people that I worked with and if there was more opportunity for career advancement and more investment in leadership development, I would have stayed. Unfortunately for me, I was in a dead-end job...
Over worked & under paid, one sided and treat employees like dirt
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  St. LouisApril 27, 2018
Extremely poor management and guidelines, every situation is one sided. You work several weeks in a row6-7 without two days off, working every Saturday, no rotation. Company wants no overtime, but is at a 40% hiring rate right now because of the non competitive pay and little time off for a healthy personal life. In a short time I witnessed several people leave for higher paying jobs with better affordable benefits due to a lack of advancement and overall poor staff treatment. Commerce Bank does not stand behind employees when it's needed the most. They care about sales and pushing product. Sales goals are impossible to reach. Each banker is "universal," but there isn’t any sort of rotation. They don’t have tellers, but as a PB1 that’s all you do is work the teller line. The human resource department is a joke, don’t bother contacting them for advice, they insult you and make you out to be the bad guy. Overall a horrible experience, worst job ever.
Cons
Expensive healthcare, working every weekend, under paid, poor management, poor raises
Productive family workplace.
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 13, 2018
Commerce is a great place to work. They offer great benefits and fair compensation. Even though they are a large bank it has a family feel and they try and involve the entire team for events. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the great people at Commerce.
Pros
Enjoyable environment
Loved it
Loan Servicing Representative (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MODecember 24, 2018
Great job. Would recommend to anyone. Management was great and the job hours were awesome. I loved it. Really laid back environment and everyone worked really close to each other to get the job done
Stressful
Credit Underwriter SR (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 8, 2018
Lots of business. Good team players. Management leaves alot to be desired. Good hours, lots of long term employees. Feel management expects employees to be perfect.
Pros
good people
Cons
not good management
Old Bank
Financial Sales Representative/ Teller (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2019
The bank is very established and is a great bank to bank with. Despite having a degree they offered very little coaching or growth opportunities. I tried multiple times to approach management with no regard to help
Disappointingly Horrendous
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOJanuary 16, 2019
Their call center is honestly THE ABSOLUTE WORST call center that I've ever worked at. They are extremely behind the times tech-wise (can only fax or snail mail documents), they have severely under-paid workers, the trainer(s) AND my sup were not knowledgeable at all & there's absolutely NO continuity between the departments in StL and KC. Training was a crash course and they threw me out on the floor to sink or swim. I was there for quite a while and I was still very lost every step of the way! A few of the leads and Workforce Management people let their positions get to their heads. They harass and talk down to the people taking calls. Not to mention...out of every call center that I've ever worked at, Commerce customers are the rudest, most disrespectful set of people that I've ever spoken to on the phones. I wouldn't do any kind of business with them if I were you! Good riddance!
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
The pay, hours, under-staffed depts., etc.
Okay not great
Mortgage Banker (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJune 22, 2018
Retail mortgage div is slow to change with the industry. Management is out of touch w/field. Nice people wk there and I enjoyed working with them. There is room for improvement and I do believe if they truly commit to the industry they will have a huge impact in the Midwest.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
comm structure, guidance, out of touch with industry
good company
SR ACCOUNTING CLERK (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 9, 2019
some management not the best, overall great place to work. . They do a good job of being innovative and encouraging new ideas. Some areas allow flex schedules and working remotely. Some areas allow casual dressing all the time, while others only on Fridays.
Most departments are laid back and allow casual conversations while working. There are some areas more strict which don't allow any casual conversations
Pros
reliable company
It was a good job, the pay is not sufficient for the job.
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 20, 2019
So in general this job was fun and exciting. The people that I worked with were enjoyable and provided a good work experience. The customers were friendly and easy to get along with. The biggest issue I have is the compensation for the job that tellers do not enough pay for the responsibility that comes with handling as much money as they do. They also started making us sell products to customers, I disliked forcing products on to them and being accountable if we were not getting referrals.
Pros
Schedule was great, paid holidays
Cons
Not enough money
na
CUSTOMER SERVICE/LOAN SERVICING REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MO 63141July 2, 2018
Typical call center environment. Fast paced. Management is not so bad but have a tend to keep looking over your shoulder.. Little room for advancement.
No proper training provided & Corporate Bullying
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 31, 2019
They expect much of you and yet they don’t provide the proper training for you to succeed.

They undervalue their staff.

VERY POOR management style and skills.
Pros
Holidays paid off
Cons
Corrupt Management
No longer there
AML/KYC Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 12, 2018
It was nearly impossible to work at Commerce bank with all the singing and dancing, instead of banking. The bank was sold to TDBank after having multiple issues, including issues with management and ownership of the bank

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commerce Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight